Why I keep urging all to abandon browser add-ons

For discussions about security.
belham2

Why I keep urging all to abandon browser add-ons

#1 Post by belham2 »

...add ons, for the most part, are simply no longer worth it, and worse, they can cause users a huge headache because the add-ons have been doing what this article describes above for a long time now.

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/11/01/browsing-history-sold/

perdido

#2 Post by perdido »

You can have my noscript and https everywhere "when you pry them from my cold, dead hands" 8)

Moat

#3 Post by Moat »

For me, the addons (in Firefox) are what make the browser, and are invaluable. To me. Third parties can have at my browsing history all they want - I personally could care less about something so trivial. :wink:

Bob

slavvo67

#4 Post by slavvo67 »

This is, of course, concerning but I gather it's data already sold and resold by companies like Google, Yahoo, MS and ISP's like Comcast, for example.

Nothing surprises me, anymore.

s243a

#5 Post by s243a »

perdido wrote:You can have my noscript and https everywhere "when you pry them from my cold, dead hands" 8)

I tried noscript on facebook the otherday with palemoon. I had the problem where the same page kept getting reloaded. It seems that noscript doesn't block enough of the bad javascript behavior. I suppose the problem comes with a script from a trusted cite tries to load a script from an untrusted sight. Perhaps I need a stop button for the browser which will stop all javascript activity for the page.

perdido

#6 Post by perdido »

My strategy is to block all the barbarians at the gate.

I just have noscript set to block everything, after I load a page I unblock just the page and not all the associated java scripting. A lot of pages require you to load a few more, like cloudfront.net and googleapis to make them useable. I only allow google once in a while, their search works without jave script. I don't use google maps, just openstreetmaps.

One trick that works fairly well when a page is requiring java script to view text or images is to change the browser View>Page Style setting to No Style.

Can't suggest on Face Book, don't use those but I read they are very invasive.

I am using Pale Moon with a side order of Sea Monkey as a double-checker.

bark_bark_bark

#7 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I can't live without the extensions I use; they are essential for security and privacy. Also this whole thing with "Web of Trust" is old news. I recommend though sticking to extensions that are open source.

souleau

#8 Post by souleau »

perdido wrote:My strategy is to block all the barbarians at the gate.

I just have noscript set to block everything, after I load a page I unblock just the page and not all the associated java scripting.
This is exactly how I've been browsing, NoScript with an almost empty whitelist, giving temporary permission to only that which makes the sites functional, and only if I believe it's worth it.

Someone gave me a cheapo android tablet a week or so ago, went online with it and got vomitted over by waves of ads.

NoScript is what makes my online experience barable.

8Geee

#9 Post by 8Geee »

ya know firefox (et al) have this configuration utility built in. With it you can search for the term history, and tell FF not to remember anything. But then again, one does have to escape the default zone of death.

This on the other hand is why I don't update
http://www.ghacks.net/2016/12/05/beware ... eferences/

8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."