How to get SCIM daemon to start?

For efforts in internationalising Puppy and solving problems in this area
yzpup

How to get SCIM daemon to start?

#1 Post by yzpup »

Hi,
since my internet connection tends to time out I wil post my request for help in segments (thank you for your understanding).

I used the Ubuntu compatible ISO of TAHRPUP6.0.5 (64-bit version) to install the OS on a USB stick and am running it on an Acer Aspire One D255E with 1GB of RAM.
This puppy sure is snappy!

I have installed the CJK fonts (they show up in PaleMoon).
I also have installed SCIM-anthy and SCIM-piyin

... more in my next post

yzpup

#2 Post by yzpup »

I used this website for information: http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SCIM
but I noticed that the download server (http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/Scim/) is not accessibleat this time.

SCIM installed without an error but "ctrl-space" does not bring up the required input selection menu (made sure the cursor is in an input field before trying it).

Moved over to this site: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sm ... d_platform and found out that I may need to start the SCIM daemon each time the computer boots or returns from sleep.

... more to follow - see my next post, please
Last edited by yzpup on Sun 06 Nov 2016, 01:24, edited 1 time in total.

yzpup

#3 Post by yzpup »

Would like to include a command somewhere that starts the daemon automatically, as needed.
Don't know which desktop environment got installed (whatever it is, it is simple and as background shows a nice landscape with mountains and a lake).

Could someone help me implement the information on the abovementiond website?

Should have mentioned earlier that I checked the dependencies, as well: nothing missing.

Thanks in advance!

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

I can't help with your SCIM problem but I think the timeout can be fixed pretty easily. I don't know how, but I do know that the timeout problem has cropped up many times in the forum.

icake

SCIM daemon to start on Tahrpup64 6.0.5

#5 Post by icake »

If you just want to install SCIM on TAHRPUP6.0.5 (64-bit version) to enable Chinese input and display, without learning the details, you can simply do these:

1. run TAHRPUP6.0.5 (64-bit version) on your computer

2. install my Chinese language pet scim64_1.4.14-en-zh-raring-13.0.9.pet which is available from:

Universal Half-Chinese Pets

yzypup

#6 Post by yzypup »

Flash wrote:I can't help with your SCIM problem but I think the timeout can be fixed pretty easily. I don't know how, but I do know that the timeout problem has cropped up many times in the forum.
Thanks for the info, Flash!

yzypup

Re: SCIM daemon to start on Tahrpup64 6.0.5

#7 Post by yzypup »

icake wrote:install my Chinese language pet scim64_1.4.14-en-zh-raring-13.0.9.pet
If you want to fix your SCIM installation, please take a look at the file "pinstall.sh"
icake, thank you for the information - I will take a look. :-)

yzypup

#8 Post by yzypup »

yzpup wrote:Would like to include a command somewhere that starts the daemon automatically
Solution:
I opened "Startup Control" from Menu > Setup and added the command "scim".
The SCIM icon now shows up in the taskbar (to the left of the speaker icon).

Note: SCIM does not work yet, however, and I'll start a new thread about that issue.)

(Note 2: I lost my login info and no longer use the ID "yzpup" but instead "yzypup"...)