Fatdog64-710 Final [4 Dec 2016]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fatdog

#1 Post by fatdog »

Fatdog64-720 Beta has been released here.

============
720 Post-release Notes for 710 Final users
============

NOTE : Fatdog64 710 and 720 shares the same repository. When 720 is released, some older packages for 710 will be overwritten with 720's ones. While 720 is based on the same base as 710 and thus has a high-degree of compatibility, some packages and structures have changed between the two versions and there is a chance that an updated package meant for 720 will not work (or will not work properly) in 710.

Hence, from now onwards, if you wish to keep using 710, please refrain from further updates. If you still want to update, please do so in the sandbox first to test and ensure that the updated packages will work; before committing to your main savefile/savefolder.

NOTE 2: it is safe to update the kernels.

The Fatdog Team (Kirk, James and SFR) with lots of help from step, are happy to announce the final version of Fatdog64 710.

============
Post-release errata
============
Libreoffice is missing some icons.
To fix it, please download images_tango.zip from here, and the copy the file to /usr/lib64/libreoffice/share/config (overwriting the original images_tango.zip).

==============
Original Release notes
==============

BIG THANKS to all alpha/beta testers.

For Alpha/Beta/Beta2 users:
===========================

Updates:
- Linux 4.4.35
- rox-filer-jun7 updated to latest (3 Dec 2016)
- tar 1.29
- llvm-3.7.1 static builds
- mesa 13.0.2
- flash-player 11.2.202.644
- xf86-video-intel 29 Nov 2016
- xf86-video-ati-7.8.0
- xf86-video-amdgpu-1.2.0
- libreoffice 5.2.3.3
- seamonkey-2.47 with smooth HTML5 playback
- gstreamer libraries removed from basesfs, they're available in the repo.
- Trash - root's Trash is now stored in /root
- gdk-pixbuf - re-instate loaders PCX, RAS, WBMP
- openssl 1.0.2j
- lxrandr as alternative to zarfy
- libgcrypt 1.7.3

For New Users / Users from Fatdog64 702 or earlier versions:
============================================================

Fatdog64-710 is a major update built from source, with new packages and new build system.
It was in parallel development with 700 branch as early as Feb 2015. The 710 alpha was first released on April 2016.

The major change between 700 and 710 branch is 710 branch now supports 32-bit compatibility library natively. Earlier Fatdogs used libraries taken from either Puppy Slacko or Puppy Wary to support 32-bit applications; Fatdog 710 now builds its own 32-bit libraries from source as part of the operating system build. The acid test for this is building WINE: Fatdog 710 is now able to build WINE 64-bit and 32-bit natively without borrowing third party binary libraries. In the interest of size, 32-bit libraries are not included in the basesfs and is separated in an SFS package (32bit_fd64.sfs) which you can download using SFS manager or manually, just like earlier versions, however.

Fatdog 710 branch is part of 700 series, and as such as we expect a high-degree of compatibility betwen them. Some packages may not work due to inevitable library updates; but in general most of them should.

New Features:
- Native 32-bit libs
- Libreoffice suit replaces abiword, gnumeric
- Libreoffice comes with English spell checkers, check repo for other languages and offline help files.
- rc.sysinit: ability to load extrasfs even from unmounted device (by specifying device: prefix). These SFS can be loaded to RAM too. This enables fully savefile-less operations.
- rc.sysinit now supports loading extrasfs from device/label/uuid;
- fatdog-initrd: basesfs now accepts ram/expand parameter (deprecating base2ram)
- posixovl support enabling full POSIX filesystem features on FAT-based savedir.
- xattr enabled for all file systems
- Faster startup for Rox filer (remove gethostbyname)
- Simpler, and more accurate drive icons
- Default actions for various images updated to be more consistent. All of them will run defaultimageviewer.
- Fotoxx moved out of basesfs. Default image viewer is now viewnior.
- rox-filer-jun7 https://github.com/jun7/rox-filer/ replaces legacy rox-filer

Updates:
- Update is too numerous to list, because the system is totally rebuild with new set of base packages. Listed below is just a subset recorded from 710 alpha onwards to give you an indication of what have changed.
- Linux 4.4.35
- rox-filer-jun7 updated to latest (3 Dec 2016)
- tar 1.29
- llvm-3.7.1 static builds
- mesa 13.0.2
- flash-player 11.2.202.644
- xf86-video-intel 29 Nov 2016
- xf86-video-ati-7.8.0
- xf86-video-amdgpu-1.2.0
- libreoffice 5.2.3.3
- seamonkey-2.47 with smooth HTML5 playback
- gstreamer libraries removed from basesfs, they're available in the repo.
- Trash - root's Trash is now stored in /root
- gdk-pixbuf - re-instate loaders PCX, RAS, WBMP
- openssl 1.0.2j
- lxrandr as alternative to zarfy
- libgcrypt 1.7.3
- Qt updated to 5.6.1
- compton, duff, extundelete now in basesfs
- mhwaveedit does not need mplayer anymore, uses ffmpeg
- gtkmenuplus 1.1.2
- gtk2 2.24.31
- Fixes for libdvdcss
- Replace pmirror, pbackup with grsync.
- refind updated to 0.10.3
- Default locale is now en_US.UTF-8
- libinput 1.5.0
- mtpaint 3.49.12
- guvcview-2.0.4
- mdview-2016.06.17
- yad-0.36.3
- mtr-0.86
- xorg-server-1.18.3
- vlc-2.2.4
- transmision-2.92
- urxvt-9.22
- findnrun-2.3.1
- multirename-1.8
- engrampa-1.14.1 (replaces xarchiver)
- pidgin-2.11.0
- libbluray-0.9.3
- libaacs-0.8.1
- geany-1.28
- gimp-2.8.18
- posixovl-2015.03
- wallpaper-setter-0.7.5.3

Fatdog64-710 does not update from any earlier versions, but if you are a 710beta2 users, it may be possible to keep your existing savefile/savedir and update just by copying over the new "vmlinuz" and "initrd" extracted from the 710 Final ISO.

Get it from the usual location in ibiblio or one of its mirrors: nluug.nl, aarnet, uoc.gr (Mirrors may take time to replicate the copies).

SFS-es are here: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/sfs/710/ and on ibiblio's mirrors too.

In another thread, for those who like to do a custom build of Fatdog64, the package list and the ISO builder for 710 final have been released as well.

Enjoy.
Last edited by fatdog on Fri 01 Dec 2017, 23:55, edited 5 times in total.
-= The Fatdog Team (kirk, jamesbond, SFR and step) =-
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=794748#794748]Contributed Fatdog64 packages thread[/url]
This account is used for announcements only. Send PM directly to members' handle.

fatdog

#2 Post by fatdog »

Various tidbits:
1. For those of you who love Firefox: Firefox requires GTK3. To be able to run it, you need to install GTK3 packages first from the repo; and then attempt to run Firefox from the menu.
2. Alternatively, you can install firefox-gtk2 package from the repo. This is our own build of Firefox that runs on GTK2, but it will not auto-update to newer versions.
3. Palemoon is also available from the repo if you prefer to use.
4. All will play html5 video from youtube; but for palemoon you need to install gstreamer2 and gst2-plugins packages from the repo.
5. If you love Chrome, just launch it from the menu and you will be redirected on how to automatically download the latest version and install it. It will also create a TXZ package for you (in /root), which you can keep for future installation (or on another machines).
6. The libreoffice built into the basesfs is our own build and is cut-down. If you need to use the full version, open a terminal, and run "getlibre.sh". This will download and create an SFS, which you can keep and load for future usage. Loading Libreoffice SFS created this way will override the built-in libreoffice.

Fun stats:
======
- There are 1063 commits from first commit of 710 branch until the final release.
- 710 branch was created in Feb 2015, and was in parallel development with 700 branch for a year until 702 was released on Feb 2016 (on which the 700 branch was retired)
- 700 branch was based on LFS 7.5. 710 branch was based on CLFS 3.0, which is halfway between LFS 7.5 and 7.6.
- Fatdog has gone full circle. The very first Fatdog (see here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=28068) had OpenOffice included. Fatdog 710 now has LibreOffice (fork of OpenOffice) included again.
Last edited by fatdog on Sun 04 Dec 2016, 09:39, edited 7 times in total.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=794748#794748]Contributed Fatdog64 packages thread[/url]
This account is used for announcements only. Send PM directly to members' handle.

fatdog

#3 Post by fatdog »

New to Fatdog64?

FAQs/Documentation can be found on Fatdog64's Seamonkey home page and online here.

Installing Fatdog64:

Besides burning the iso to a cd/dvd you can install Fatdog64 to a flash drive. If you only want to boot on computers with BIOS, then use the Fatdog64 installer found in the Control Panel. If you want your flash drive to boot on both BIOS and UEFI computers see this.

For hard drive installation instructions see this. If you've already got a bootloader installed with a ext2/3/4 partition, and want to get started quickly you can add a bootloader entry like this:

Code: Select all

title Fatdog64-710
  rootnoverify (hd0,2)
  kernel /710/vmlinuz savefile=direct:device:sda3:/710/fd64save
  initrd /710/initrd
The example above is for Grup legacy, but others are similar. Fatdog64 consists of only two files the kernel (vmlinuz) and the initrd. The savefile is optional, but you'll no doubt want it since that is where all of your changes to the filesystem go.
In the example above I have folder in the root of partition sda3 named 710. Inside the 710 folder I have the files vmlinuz and initrd from the Fatdog64 iso. Also inside the 710 folder I have created another folder named fd64save. Again, this example is only for Linux file systems. There are many other ways to boot Fatdog64, for full details see the links above.

Note: Fatdog64 should boot very quickly from a hard drive. If you experience slow boots this is probably due to a problem with the bootloader. Some bootloaders are VERY slow at reading ext4. You may not notice it much with a traditional Linux distro where the bootloader only has to load 10MB of data, but normally Fatdog64 is wanting it to load 360MB of data. Here are a couple solutions to this problem:

1) Create a small ext3 partition for Fatdog64's vmlinuz and initrd. The savefile/folder can be on a different partition, even ext4. Gparted can be found in the control panel.

2) Remove the fd64.sfs file from the initrd. The fd64.sfs is the main filesystem and most of the size. Fatdog64's initrd will then load the fd64.sfs instead of the bootloader. You'll have to specify the basesfs parameter as well. See this.
Last edited by fatdog on Mon 05 Dec 2016, 23:59, edited 2 times in total.

Sage

#4 Post by Sage »

Duplicated from beta thread:
Wow! Early Christmas present - many thanks, jb/fd.
Truly a milestone for Linux & Puppy, inter alia.The mirrors don't seem to have it yet - probably later today, so I've entered the long wait with ibiblio. Later.
Will you be in time for tomorrow's DWW?
Later: Is it working? Oh, yes - sound, vision & connection OOTB. Fantastic!

jamesbond

#5 Post by jamesbond »

Glad that it works :D
Sadly, Fatdog is still on DW's waiting list, although it was submitted over 2 years ago ...
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

belham2

Re: Fatdog64-710 Final [4 Dec 2016]

#6 Post by belham2 »

fatdog wrote:The Fatdog Team (Kirk, James and SFR) with lots of help from step, are happy to announce the final version of Fatdog64 710.

Fatdog64-710 does not update from any earlier versions, but if you are a 710beta2 users, it may be possible to keep your existing savefile/savedir and update just by copying over the new "vmlinuz" and "initrd" extracted from the 710 Final ISO.

Enjoy.

Confirm that copying over your (I am a 710beta2 user) existing savefile and then the new 710 final "vmlinuz" and "initrd" has shown no problems. Everything is running great. Thank you much James, Kirk, SFR and Step for all your hard work!

spandey

#7 Post by spandey »

The ISO for 710 is missng from mirror sites.

drunkjedi

#8 Post by drunkjedi »

spandey wrote:The ISO for 710 is missng from mirror sites.
Hi friend, the mirror sites sometimes take 24 hrs to show download links.
ibiblio is always the first one to show updates, although it's slower than others in download speed.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#9 Post by Lobster »

:D

After burning an ISO on Ubuntu (a sort of very, very fat big dog) by having to try three different burners (eventually kb3 worked) . . .
I eventually got a fat dog running - straight in and working BUT I had to configure the eth0 with the unfamiliar network config tool from the FatDog64 Control Panel. The control panel is excellent. As is FatDog, very impressive.

Sound working for Armagetron Advanced fun game . . .

I tried to read my Canon Camera SD card with a USB SD reader but the SDC1 (I think it was) only came up once - same problem on Ubuntu . . .

Distrowatch still not recognizing FatDog as a distinct distro - what are they - slackers :P

I was quite intrigued with the Cloud Drive program. Not seen that before. Seems very simple and potentially useful for those so inclined . . .

Be interested if the Touch screen support works.

Under 'Utilities' in the menu 'Engrampa appears twice . . .

For the Puppy user there is a great deal of familiarity. Speed due to loading into memory, fast efficient, working programs, Seamonkey browser, Rox etc . . .

Bravo guys. Great Distro. Many thanks.
Last edited by Lobster on Tue 06 Dec 2016, 08:48, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Buddy

#10 Post by Buddy »

I am not sure if its needed with two Gimp entries in Graphics?

Same as the earlier mentioned Engrampa.

Great to see a new team member. Not that he is not been really a contributor for some time as seen in the forum.

Buddy

prehistoric

#11 Post by prehistoric »

Now running off 710 final. Not surprisingly it looks a lot like 710b2. Smooth release.

No real problems, but then I created a new save file rather than use my existing one.

I now have my usual choice of three browsers: Seamonkey, Firefox, Google-chrome. Still using Sylpheed for text email.

While making the all-important selection of new wallpaper, (so I don't get confused about which system I'm on,) I ran into something which suggests modern misunderstanding about the Apollo program.
Attachments
kickass-desktop-wallpapers-0.jpg
(119.96 KiB) Downloaded 1774 times

Buddy

#12 Post by Buddy »

I used a savefile and a new "thing" showed up... Image attached and says it better than me.
Attachments
img.png
(8.45 KiB) Downloaded 11806 times

jamesbond

#13 Post by jamesbond »

@Lobster - nice. Glad to have you back.
@Buddy - menu entries: didn't see that; but I suppose it's not critical. We'll fix it next time.
@prehistoric - wallpaper: now that's a good one :lol:
@Buddy - savefile: you must be using encrypted savefile. That's normal.
Long explanation: encrypted savefile is now done via dm-crypt instead of loop devices. Loop devices don't show up in desktop because we exclusively filter them out, but we don't want to filter "dm" devices because dm devices are used not only by dm-crypt, but also LVM, etc.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Billtoo

#14 Post by Billtoo »

I did a new install to a 32gb SDHC card.
No problems so far.
Thanks
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(39.43 KiB) Downloaded 11912 times

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#15 Post by Lobster »

I can not find the online version of the FAQS but they are provided with FatDog and worth reading before asking silly questions . . . which I shall now do. [ahem]

- Could I use Secondlife which only supports 32bit wth 84bit Fatdog or do I need to add some extra files, which I noticed in the package manager?
- Do Seamonkey, Chrome and Firefox all use the same base code. If so what alternative browser is recommended as more secure?
- Is Mono available?
- Openshot?

Thanks to JamesBond and other Fatdoggian developers. Need to get up to speed after using Ubuntu which needs some Puppy streamlining to speed it up. I hope to try Barrys Quirky at some point and the new Slack Puppy when out.

I am a bit wary of installing Fatdog to a spare hard drive as last time (installing the Slacko64) it messed with the Ubuntu MBR and boot file (no doubt my mistake)

Openbox is better implemented than the JWM Window manager. I found it familiar and intuitive.

VLC worked perfectly.

I will be using composer in Seamonkey for HTML editing to further my plans to build a time machine (keeps me out of trouble)
http://tmxxine.000webhostapp.com/
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

drunkjedi

#16 Post by drunkjedi »

Lobster wrote:I can not find the online version of the FAQS
ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/faqs/faq.html
There you go, just in case...

jamesbond

#17 Post by jamesbond »

@Lobster:
- Could I use Secondlife which only supports 32bit wth 84bit Fatdog or do I need to add some extra files, which I noticed in the package manager?
Use SFS manager and download 32-bit compatibility SFS.
- Do Seamonkey, Chrome and Firefox all use the same base code.
1. Seamonkey is self-built, version 2.47 uses Gecko 50 engine, the same as the one used in Firefox 50. But they don't share the engine (if you have seamonkey and firefox installed, there are 2 copies of the Gecko 50 engine).
2. For firefox, you have the choice of using official binary (requires GTK3), or our own self-compiled one (works with GTK2). Get the official one from Control Panel, get our self-compiled one from the repo.
3. For chrome, you can download the official binaries from Control Panel.
If so what alternative browser is recommended as more secure?
Ahem :) Security is in the eye of the beholder 8) The question is, "secure from who?" :wink:
- Is Mono available?
No ... we can do with a contributed package (I saw snayak posted a request for this too - but for a much older Fatdog).
The wine (package or SFS) both contains wine-mono, but of course you need Windows tool to use it, so perhaps that's not an option.
- Openshot?
Yes, though it's the older one, version 1.4.0 I think.
I am a bit wary of installing Fatdog to a spare hard drive as last time (installing the Slacko64) it messed with the Ubuntu MBR and boot file (no doubt my mistake)
I remember that. It wasn't your mistake. It was Ubuntu's mistake. But I have worked around that anyway, so it should be safer now.
I will be using composer in Seamonkey for HTML editing to further my plans to build a time machine (keeps me out of trouble)
:D Seamonkey Composer in general works well, but it's not bug free. Especially once you start using the more advanced features. We too use Seamonkey to maintain the Fatdog FAQS and web pages.

And drunkjedi already posted the link where the online FAQS can be found.

@Billtoo - thanks for testing.

belham2

#18 Post by belham2 »

Lobster wrote:

:D
If it is of the Dr. Who variety, can you please, Lobster, take me with you when it's done? (provided we're goin' forward and not back!) The human bio things are becoming more unbearable (or maybe I am) as I get older.

mories

#19 Post by mories »

@fatdog team: Great job.

For now only a minor problem: at startup on a HP G62 appears rfkill: wlan soft blocked.
To connect I have to use rfkill unblock wlan and everything (wpa_supplicant, etc) works perfectly.
This did not happen in 710b2 (was the hp_wmi module included?).

On another HP Pavilion g6 no problem and wlan works correctly at startup.

Doglover

#20 Post by Doglover »

Sound in VLC clips, every half-second. Card is ALC3227 analog.

Sound works in MPlayer.