Does Anyone Have a Pet of Gkrellm for Puppy 4x?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Semme

#21 Post by Semme »

Does this one give you a return?

Code: Select all

gcc --version
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Eathray

#22 Post by Eathray »

Semme

# ls -l /lib | grep libssl.*
# 

Doesn't give a response

Eathray

#23 Post by Eathray »

Semme wrote:Does this one give you a return?

gcc --version

# gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.2.2
Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

# 

Semme

#24 Post by Semme »

Now where did you get these from and where did you put'm?

libssl.so.1.0.0 and libcrypto.so.1.0.0
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Eathray

#25 Post by Eathray »

Semme

I grabbed those from the debian wheezy repo site and converted them from .deb to .pet. I put those in /usr/lib. If you make pets from the debs, be advised they will end up in /usr/lib/i-386. That's the debian way for i386. I just drag/copied them into /usr/lib manually.

Mike Walsh

#26 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Eathray!

You're gonna hate me, bud..... :lol:

I'm so glad you reminded me about this marvelous app! Using the .pet supplied by Ally (Cheers, Ally! May all your Pups live long & happy lives), I've got it up & running in the classic 570, and rg66's X-Slacko 2.3.2.

Here it is in 570, on the 'big' Compaq, running the CaiusWM theme:-

.....and here, she's running in X-Slacko 2.3.2, on the 14-yr old Dell lappie, with the BlueSteel theme:-

You may notice I've got a wee bit of pWidgets still, displaying just one or two items at the bottom. I've still to track down some of the extra plug-ins for it yet.

I've downloaded the 'Themes' pack from here:-

http://www.muhri.net/gkrellm/GKrellM-Skins.tar.gz

There's nearly 200 in total. You untar the main tarball.....then you've got nearly 200 individual tarballs inside it..! To get an idea of what the themes are, look here:-

http://www.muhri.net/gkrellm/nav.php3?n ... &sort=name

When you spot one you like, hover your cursor over it, get the name, then untar the appropriate one from the main file into the /root/.gkrellm/themes directory. Nowt to it. Mind you, I'd forgotten just how configurable this thing is.....and it's a real case of trial & error getting the startup position where you want it.....!!

Next try is gonna be Precise 571. I've a feeling I might need to transfer a few libs for that one.....

That was a nice birthday prezzie, mate! (I've hit the 'double-nickel' today. *sigh*)

Mike. :wink: :D

Eathray

#27 Post by Eathray »

LOL mike,

I still need this deal way retro to work on 4.2smp partner!

So far I'm just chasing libs around the cyber-planet spinning my wheels!

Glad you got it going though. The pet of ally works for 5.7 and up everybody. Go get it.

Mike Walsh

#28 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi again, Eathray.

Well, I knew if it'd work in 570, it should work in 2.3.2 (it's based on 570).

Like wise, if I can get it running in Precise, I know it'll work with ETP's 'Chromepup' (as I call it).....'cos that's basically 571 with Openbox.

I might even give this a try-out in the 64-bit Pups. I've got the 32-bit compat. libs installed, so it's anybody's guess.....

Watch this space. (BTW, a picture paints a thousand words, so the old song says.....hence the screenies.)

I fancy your problem might be the glibc, actually; it's been a deal-breaker for me on several things I've wanted to try out over the last couple of years. If that's too old, you're wasting your time, mate. I wouldn't like to say what glibc the 4-series Pups used.....

Mike. :wink:

Eathray

#29 Post by Eathray »

Mike,

glibc here is 2.10.1, I believe equal to wary updated. I know it works in 4 because like I said, I already had a pet that was out of the box on 4.1.2... but unfortunately it has disappeared from the internet. Also, ttuuxxx made a 4 series pet a long time ago... I just can't find it.

Both are older versions, and that's totally fine. I don't need it brand new. I just want it to replace pwidgets, which doesn't perform well with RWC (background looses transparency). Anyway, hopefully the folks on this thread can come up with something and I will keep it forever and post it somewhere so it never gets lost again. Very frustrating. lol

Eathray

#30 Post by Eathray »

nite guys,

I'll check in in the morning but it is Thanksgiving, so everyone have a great holiday, don't argue too much politics and eat far too much turkey and stuffing :wink:

perdido

#31 Post by perdido »

trapster posted a pet of gkrellm 2.3.0 on this page http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 6bd9efcb66
It will run in 4.1.2 so may run in 4.2.0, worth a try.

Some gkrellm add-ons, do not know if they will work with trapster's 2.3.0 but but who knows...
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=593264

Some really old gkrellm pets for ancient pups can be found here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=39202

The old posts in this forum are a gold mine.

Mike Walsh

#32 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, all.

Just to confirm, the pet Ally supplied (gkrellm 2.3.5) works in Slacko 570 & X-Slacko 2.3.2. It also works in Tahrpup 6.05, Precise 5.7.1, and ETP's 'Chromebook' Pup (based on 571).

Here we are in 571:-

I haven't tried it in Lucid yet (I have my doubts about the glibc!), but I'll have a look at the stuff perdido's dug up from the 'archives'. There's bound to be something which works with Lucid.

It won't work in the 64-bit Pups, even with the 32-bit compatibility libraries installed.

Thanks again, one and all!

CatDude

#33 Post by CatDude »

Hi

@ Eathray
You can grab a copy of one i compiled in Aragon's 4.2 SMP (2.6.29.1 kernel) here: http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/various ... n42smp.pet
  • MD5 sum
    ========
    943ee266e25dd8e66ed0d40fd56162ba gkrellm-2.3.5_aragon42smp.pet
I didn't add any extra themes and you will most likely need to edit the font sizes whatever (see pic).

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK :lol:

CatDude
Attachments
defaults.png
(26.3 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
Last edited by CatDude on Thu 24 Nov 2016, 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

Eathray

#34 Post by Eathray »

catdude,

Holy smokes... there it is.

Okay, had a bump to start. I drew it down with opera 12.16 and it came down as a tar.gz instead of a .pet. I renamed it, installed, and it gave an expansion error, sending the tar.gz to /root/.packages. Tried to expand it in place and xarchiver errored out. Bust. Deleted that mess.

Some kind of vague memory tried to get my attention... can't recall what it was, but I grew suspicious of opera; cannot remember why. I launched the built-in white-bearded ancient sage, grandpa seamonkey and re-downloaded catdude's pet. Came down as a pet this time in /root. I installed it, rebooted...

Boom. There it is. Working.

Thank you to catdude. Thanks to everyone who dropped in, semme, ally, mike, oscar, etc. As always, I greatly appreciate all you guys who take time out of your day to help us less skilled but enthusiastic puppy fans.

I have sent a copy of this .pet to my collection and will at some point put all the pets I've collected somewhere so they don't get lost in the future.

I know it's primarily an American holiday, but if you celebrate, happy Thanksgiving and be sure to overdo it :lol:

p.s.
If everybody dumped a working gkrellm for their pup of choice here, the whole community would have it available for many pups in an easy to find location. No reason not to keep adding versions...

CatDude

#35 Post by CatDude »

Hi

@ Eathray
Always happy to help mate.
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

Mike Walsh

#36 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hey, Eathray.

You're a bit like me, mate. Ever since I mislaid a wireless driver rcrsn51 let me have for Slacko (and I had to PM him & request it again..! :oops: ), anything I consider IMPORTANT, I secrete multiple copies of away all over the place.....

On the data partitions on each computer; the network 'drive' attached to the router (only a 128 GB flashdrive, but it serves the purpose!); the external HDD attached to the 'big' Compaq; the 'spare' HDD I keep all my backups on.....and multiple cloud accounts.

I'm not embarrassing myself like that again..! It's why I'm always happy to 'host' any important stuff that anyone else might want to squirrel away, so.....the offer's there if you're interested.

Same goes for anybody else. When MediaFire are offering 15 GB of free storage, seems silly not to make use of it. And with Puppy stuff being so compact.....

Mike.

Mike Walsh

#37 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi again, Eathray.

I've 'squirrelled away' a copy of that for you on MediaFire, just in case of.....whatever. (You never know..!)

Here's the link:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/eddvp0whg ... n42smp.pet

Keep it written down, somewhere safe!

Mike Walsh

#38 Post by Mike Walsh »

Just to add further confirmation, gkrellm 2.3.5 (as linked to by Ally) also works in Lucid 5.2.8.7 sulu-002. There's one small fly in the ointment, though; trying to use the config window, or anything directly connected with the GKrellm display, you get a load of little squares instead of your normal font.

I managed to get it set-up okay, though. Having already set-up at least half-a-dozen others, I kinda remember where everything is by now.....

Proves Lucid's older glibc isn't a stumbling-block for this one, at least. I know I'm looking forward to when Richard re-compiles it with 2.19 or 2.21, instead of the 2.11 it's currently possessed of..!

Mike Walsh

#39 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, all.

I have now got GKrellM up-and-running in the 64-bit Pups. I suddenly remembered that TaZoc's LightHouse64 ('Mariner' edition) has it included by default. I was using it a while ago, and still had the ISO.

So I had a look at the contents, and found the 'gkrellm' and 'gkrellmd' binaries. I extracted the .pet of 2.3.5 that Ally supplied, swapped the binaries over, and re-packaged it. I've also added a Menu entry so that you don't need to dig through the file system to start it for the first run, @ Menu->System->GKrellM System Monitor. And it's the same version, 2.3.5.

Works beautifully. Themes for this are available from the muhri.net site, at http://www.muhri.net/gkrellm/

The .pet is available from my MediaFire a/c, here:-

https://www.mediafire.com/?5nqqdjt46op1a1y

Have fun.

EDIT:- Have discovered that Slacko64 requires libsensors to be installed. If you need it, it's available here:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/b7bnlxqr4 ... -amd64.pet