don570

#341 Post by don570 »

Question to PAKT ....

Does this command work?? I get file or folder not found

Code: Select all

ls -s ../.xinitrc xstartup	
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 836#932836

Because that command didn't work I had to use Rox filer to drag .xinitrc to
the folder /root/.vnc (select relative link from menu) and then change name to xstartup

don570

#342 Post by don570 »

I was able to get tightvnc server to work in version 8.1.1

Here are my instructions ( similar to Pakt)

I used dropbear in background of both machines...
]Image

I downloaded tightvncserver_1.3.10-0ubuntu2_armhf.deb and installed.

I set up the /root/.vnc folder ----> described in previous post

My firewall wasn't set so running tightvncserver is simple.

I typed 'tightvncserver' in terminal
and this set up my password...

# tightvncserver

You will require a password to access your desktops.

Password: 
Verify:   
Would you like to enter a view-only password (y/n)? n
xauth:  file /root/.Xauthority does not exist

New 'X' desktop is puppypc22508:1

Creating default startup script /root/.vnc/xstartup
Starting applications specified in /root/.vnc/xstartup
Log file is /root/.vnc/puppypc22508:1.log

This showed that the display number is 1 --> from puppypc22508:1

- To start tightvncserver, open a terminal window in Quirky and type
Code:
tightvncserver -geometry 640x480 -depth 24 &

Note: A geometry of 1280x800 was better

I went to my other computer which uses fatdog 710 64 bit

Go to start menu ->
Network > VNC Remote Desktop Viewer
I typed in
192.168.1.103:5901
where 192.168.1.103 was address of my raspberry pi2 board.

Password was entered and a window popped up immediately showing my raspberry pi desktop

Fatdog Arm is also easy to set up to run VNC server

pakt

#343 Post by pakt »

don570 wrote:Question to PAKT ....

Does this command work?? I get file or folder not found

ls -s ../.xinitrc xstartup	
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 836#932836
Oops, that's a typo there (fingers automatically type 'ls' :roll: )
That line should be

ln -s ../.xinitrc xstartup
I'll change it in the post you linked to. Thanks.
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

pakt

#344 Post by pakt »

don570 wrote:I was able to get tightvnc server to work in version 8.1.1
I was thinking that it might be a good idea to try to resurrect the TightVNC GUI I worked on with rarsa back in 2005. It would still be useful today in Quirky/Puppy/FatdogARM, etc.

For some reason, rarsa has deleted 'tightvncserver-1.3.9-1.0.pet' from the forum. It took me a while, but I found two French-translated versions of the pet (for Tout-tout(sp?) Puppy (At least I think they're both in French).

Don570, how's your French? I have just a (very) rudimentary knowledge of French, but I could use Google translate to help in converting it to English again.

The pet I downloaded is too large to attach, so I here are the links to the pets:

[Hmm, the forum wouldn't let make a link of this one]
https://sourceforge.net/projects/asried ... t/download

http://archive.org/download/Puppy_linux ... .9-1.0.pet

BarryK
Puppy Master

#345 Post by BarryK »

pakt wrote:Sage, I agree that the most efficient way of cooling a Pi3 is by using a proper (bought or recycled) heat sink attached to the SoC using a professional paste (like you mentioned) and mounting a fan to blow off excess heat.

What I haven't mentioned is that my main goal with using a passive cooling method for the Pi3 is silence. Fans disturb me. I live in the countryside where the loudest noises are the birds chirping (apart from the occasional rifle shot echoing through the forest - it's elk season plus open season on deer, fox and the recent invasion of wild pigs), so I want to avoid any annoying whirring of any fans around me.

As to DIY, I'm not the young whipper-snapper I used to be (do they still make whips?) nor do I have a workshop with tools. Very often, when I think of building a circuit myself, I find I can buy the circuit (either ready-made or in parts) cheaper on the net. So I'm more content these days to purchase what I need :)
Ditto!

My OdroidXU4 has a fan, and I really dislike it.

You got me interested in what they have at DX. I have just oerdered this combo:

http://aud.dx.com/product/cooling-solut ... -961428646

http://aud.dx.com/product/protective-ac ... -961437489

It doesn't explicitly say so, but I am presuming the heatsinks will fit in the holes in the plastic casing.
Or maybe not -- one of the holes looks too small.

So I also ordered this heatsink set, for the Pi2, but it does have one smaller heatsink that may suit the Pi3.

http://aud.dx.com/product/3-in-1-alumin ... -961381660

Anyway, it will be fun to play with.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

ally

#346 Post by ally »

Sage

#347 Post by Sage »

Seems there's still some life in this topic! Incidentally, I may be a decade up on you two guys, pk & BK, but still make-and-mend all my own gear (often other folks', too)?!
The DX HS's look OK and will save the effort of cutting your own. As to sticking them onto the cpu, this depends on the expected service you intend for the complete unit(s). If it sits fairly still on the bench/shelf/table, then the adhesion afforded by silver-loaded paint sold by all electronics retailers of repute like CPC/Farnell/RS-online/NewEgg will suffice. If you need stronger adhesion use silver-loaded epoxy(Araldite) also widely available. For those working in the electron microscope lab, yes it's silver 'dag' by any other name. Remember: only a very thin smear is required. please take my advice and do NOT use those awful phase-change plastic pads. For the technical, the solvent vehicle is an asymmetric ketone, usually methyl isobutyl ketone, available from Ebay and all good electron microscopy suppliers as well as several metallurgical lab suppliers.
Make your own? Just mix pure silver (gold will do) powder rubbed off your best cutlery or scrap electronics into a dab of epoxy and mix well.
You lads want quiet. Well, all those old fans you've got stashed away from PSU s, m/b s. caddies, etc are supposed to run at 12V. Now why do you think I recommended them? At 5V, which you have on your RPi s, they still move enough air to be effective but without the noise. A few may not run at all, at 5V so search for one that does and don't forget to re-lube it from time to time. [peel off, label, remove circlip, pull out shaft, smear shaft with molybdenum disulphide grease ("MolySlip") and reassemble. Just a five minute task.]
And:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5x-Heat-Sink- ... SwyQtVv3XE
Let me know..

pakt

#348 Post by pakt »

Thought it would be fun to run the same script that ExplainingComputers ran in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ud-grj4Zl0

test.sh script from the video:

#!/bin/sh
vcgencmd measure_temp
sysbench --test=cpu --cpu-max-prime=20000 --num-threads=4 run >/dev/null 2>&1
vcgencmd measure_temp
vcgencmd measure_temp
vcgencmd measure_temp
vcgencmd measure_temp
vcgencmd measure_temp
I just changed the script to run 10 iterations instead, to offset the thermal buffering effect of the metal case.

Edit: Room temp was ~20 C (IIRC, ExplainingComputers tested with a 22 C room temp)

I ran the test script on my Pi3 with the CPU frequency scaling governor=performance

The 1st & 2nd column temperatures are copied from the video. The 3rd column shows the temperatures with my Pi3 in a die-cast aluminum Geekworm case.

Heatsink only  Solution w/heatsink & fan  Geekworm case only (NO FAN)
-------------  -------------------------  ---------------------------
temp= 43.5 C	temp= 40.2 C               temp= 39.7 C
temp= 70.9 C	temp= 59.1 C               temp= 47.8 C
temp= 76.8 C	temp= 59.1 C               temp= 48.3 C
temp= 78.4 C	temp= 59.6 C               temp= 49.4 C
temp= 80.1 C	temp= 60.7 C               temp= 49.4 C
temp= 80.6 C	temp= 60.7 C               temp= 50.5 C
                                          temp= 50.5 C
                                          temp= 50.5 C
                                          temp= 50.5 C
                                          temp= 51.5 C
                                          temp= 51.0 C
Check out those temperatures - with only my metal case as a heatsink, it still ran noticeably COOLER than with heatsink and fan !!

The final temperature of ~51 C corresponds well with the ~52 C I got when I ran the longer 30 min+ test using the 'stress' program (see my earlier post).

Note that I ran this benchmark while running my Pi3 from a VNC desktop on my PC 8)
Last edited by pakt on Wed 23 Nov 2016, 09:08, edited 6 times in total.

TeX Dog

#349 Post by TeX Dog »

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 29&t=82369

see if your pi is worth the effort, Can it take the heat? Overclock potential by reading the built-in ring oscillator.

vcgencmd read_ring_osc
read_ring_osc(2)=2.813MHz (@1.2000V)
mine is kinda sad... :?

TeX Dog

#350 Post by TeX Dog »

64bit Pi3 OS released:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/suse-l ... pberry-pi/

Can we get a quirky64-arm ? :D

pakt

#351 Post by pakt »

@TeX: My Pi3:
vcgencmd read_ring_osc
read_ring_osc(2)=3.249MHz (@1.3000V)

Seems like a pretty good result. Note that Quirky's default voltage is 1.3V - I didn't change it, just the governor.

EDIT: Just discovered that changing the governor back to 'powersave' lowered the voltage from 1.3 to 1.2, and the output is now:
2.823MHz

ally

#352 Post by ally »

I have a pi3 running openmedia vault to control my NAS drives and is fitted within an official raspberry pi case

during the summer it fell over whilst serving 3 drives, all I had to do was remove the lid of the case and it has run fine since

:)

don570

#353 Post by don570 »

Pakt wrote:For some reason, rarsa has deleted 'tightvncserver-1.3.9-1.0.pet' from the forum. It took me a while, but I found two French-translated versions of the pet (for Tout-tout(sp?) Puppy (At least I think they're both in French).

Don570, how's your French? I have just a (very) rudimentary knowledge of French, but I could use Google translate to help in converting it to English again.
I was able to download it. I'll look inside it tonite.

I did find that typing 'tightvncserver' in terminal did create the folder and password.

Sage

#354 Post by Sage »

during the summer it fell over whilst serving 3 drives
If you don't cool ss devices adequately, it will seriously reduce their lifetime. And, experience in the field shows that overheated cpu s gradually become less reliable. Remember, the feature sizes that fabs are presently working to is 32microns and below.

pakt

#355 Post by pakt »

don570 wrote:I did find that typing 'tightvncserver' in terminal did create the folder and password.
Sounds promising :P

pakt

#356 Post by pakt »

Sage wrote:please take my advice and do NOT use those awful phase-change plastic pads.
Don't know if the padding I used is "phase-change", but it most certainly works. Just check out the temperature chart I posted earlier :wink:
Sage wrote:For the technical, the solvent vehicle is an asymmetric ketone
Hey, ketones - I remember them from chemistry. Aren't they the chemicals that give bananas, strawberries, etc their strong smell? :P
Sage wrote:You lads want quiet. Well, all those old fans you've got stashed away from PSU s, m/b s. caddies, etc are supposed to run at 12V. Now why do you think I recommended them? At 5V, which you have on your RPi s, they still move enough air to be effective but without the noise.
Been there, done that 8)

pakt

#357 Post by pakt »

This is bound to be OT, but just to make it clear I'm not anti-Maker (we used to call it 'Homebrew' in my time) and for the possible amusement of others on the forum, I'll attach a partial scan of a photo I took circa 1966, ie, 50 years ago :shock:

It's a freeze-frame photograph of a hammer crushing a light bulb I took while I was still in high school. I had made a sound-activated trigger, a 'homebrew' electronic device using a thyratron vacuum tube (Brit: valve), the equivalent of a modern, solid-state, thyristor.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thyratron
(This was in the days before transistors, starting with the awful germanium transistor and its 'thermal-runaway' problem, became easily available to the public.)

I had modified my simple Brownie (B&W film) camera so the shutter would stay open while I pressed the shutter. A cheap crystal microphone and flash gun were attached to the electronic trigger. The microphone was placed, IIRC, about 60 cm (2 ft) from the light bulb and my Physics teacher stood prepared with the hammer and light bulb :shock:

We turned off the lights, my teacher waited for the click of the camera shutter and then hit the light bulb with the hammer - the sound of the hammer hitting the bulb making the flash go off. I released the camera trigger and the attached image was the result. Luckily, no fingers were harmed while making this photograph 8)
Attachments
Hammer_breaking_bulb_freeze_frame_copywrite_PdB_1966.jpg
(66.96 KiB) Downloaded 221 times

Sage

#358 Post by Sage »

Should've used an high speed video camera! I used to do weird things with old valve TV chassis ~1956, like connecting the final anode to conducting surfaces. No one died - only 0.5microamp available. Happy days.
Bananas & co - ethylene acts as a ripening hormone; not sure about their odour, but most odoriferous perfumes, etc. are based on aldehydes and ketones. All that lock&key stuff on nasal membranes probably. The mercaptans they add to natural gas are some of the smelliest substances known - one molecule at 100m from source. Reminds me: what do you call a mermaid's grandfather?!
As for cooling, think how much better it would be if you followed my advice...

TeX Dog

#359 Post by TeX Dog »

wow hope I have half the smarts you guys have when I get to your ages, :wink: I thought we where closer to same age. :oops:

TeX Dog

#360 Post by TeX Dog »

Got the new metal case posted days ago and does drop temp about 10C but wifi is now directional. the USB side HAS to face toward access point ..