Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 17 Dec 2017, 04:20
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Puppy for X86 64bit tablet with 32bit UEFI bios?
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 4 of 5 [63 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Author Message
bcuconato

Joined: 14 Nov 2016
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov 2016, 16:20    Post subject: Help with booting Puppy on a 32-bit tablet?  

EDIT: the error is "Searching for Puppy files... puppy_slacko_6.3.2.sfs not found. Dropping out to initial ramdisk console..."

---

hello there,

could you help me booting Puppy on my 32-bit tablet? I've read this topic searching for answers but I think I'm still not at the point that Insomniacno1 has gotten to.

I've posted my doubts on the forum already (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=108910), but I thought should also post it here since this topic is related to it.

I followed this tutorial (http://blog.puppylinux.com/?viewDetailed=00009), I managed to boot from my SDHC card after disabling fast boot and secure boot, but then a terminal opens up after a warning shows up saying it couldn't find the puppy_slacko_6.3.2.sfs file.

do you have any idea of what I could do to boot Slacko or any other puppy (preferably one with touchscreen support, but if not possible it's ok) on my tablet?

all info needed is only the original post above, and I can provide any other info as needed.

thank you,

Last edited by bcuconato on Mon 14 Nov 2016, 20:09; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
TeX Dog

Joined: 06 Jul 2016
Posts: 341

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov 2016, 17:09    Post subject:  

OK you are in good shape if it got that far. The grub verbs used for GPT style disk differ from (msdos,0 ) etc. On boot, press esc key then (hd [tab] to see what the parts are named, if that look right move the sfs file to the top most level inside where ever you have the other files ( which was found it seems ) also copying into the top level of all normal partitions almost always get found, once booted you can tell which part was used and can edit the grub config line for offset.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
bcuconato

Joined: 14 Nov 2016
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov 2016, 20:17    Post subject:  

TeX Dog wrote:
OK you are in good shape if it got that far. The grub verbs used for GPT style disk differ from (msdos,0 ) etc. On boot, press esc key then (hd [tab] to see what the parts are named, if that look right move the sfs file to the top most level inside where ever you have the other files ( which was found it seems ) also copying into the top level of all normal partitions almost always get found, once booted you can tell which part was used and can edit the grub config line for offset.


I'm not sure I completely understood what you're telling me to do (newbie here), but:

my SDHC live booter has all the files on its root, save for the 'bootia32.efi', which is on EFI/boot. that is, the file is right there with all the others, I don't get why it is not found. (the root of the flash card is what you mean by top-level, right?)

how should I edit the grub.cfg file for that effect? can I specify where the file is as I did for init.gz, for example?

thank you for the reply, TeX Dog!

PS: there's this old thread where people have the same problem http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=48596, but I'm not sure the causes are the same. I can't try their fix, because I don't seem to be able to type '=' on the console...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
TeX Dog

Joined: 06 Jul 2016
Posts: 341

PostPosted: Tue 15 Nov 2016, 01:38    Post subject:  

Yes the boot parts are working but the script inside initrd can't locate needed file that is the O.S. Multiple factors can exist for why that happens but mostly do to numbering and offset of parts of harddrive, Not all possible layouts are supported but shortcuts exist to point to correct sfs. I get it wrong ( numbering and drive layout ) most of the time, so my trick is to place same file in every part of disk I can access safely in the root most level like D:\ C:\ etc if you are used to windows world.
Just so it will boot then work backwards and remove sfs. SDCards are most tricky especially slower ones,

here is an example of device names used in sdcards
Code:
boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2


Do you have anything like that in the second part of kernel line in grub?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
bcuconato

Joined: 14 Nov 2016
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Tue 15 Nov 2016, 07:05    Post subject:  

TeX Dog wrote:
Yes the boot parts are working but the script inside initrd can't locate needed file that is the O.S. Multiple factors can exist for why that happens but mostly do to numbering and offset of parts of harddrive, Not all possible layouts are supported but shortcuts exist to point to correct sfs. I get it wrong ( numbering and drive layout ) most of the time, so my trick is to place same file in every part of disk I can access safely in the root most level like D:\ C:\ etc if you are used to windows world.
Just so it will boot then work backwards and remove sfs. SDCards are most tricky especially slower ones,

here is an example of device names used in sdcards
Code:
boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2


Do you have anything like that in the second part of kernel line in grub?


I'll try putting the file on every level of the SD card then, thanks!

my grub.cfg looks like this:
Code:
insmod png
background_image /slacko.png
set timeout=10
menuentry "Start slacko" {
    linux /vmlinuz
    initrd /initrd.gz
}

I can think of possible other problems, would mind telling me if they are possible?

* the tutorial I used was meant for Slacko 6.3, not 6.3.2
* my tablet is weird, the OS (or BIOS?) is 32-bit, but the processor is x64 (or is that expected?)
* maybe I didn't follow the tutorial correctly? I did not have to mount any .iso image, I just dragged and dropped the files, as I understood from the tutorial

---

EDIT: I've put the puppy_slacko_6.3.2 everywhere I could and it still doesn't work...
at least I found a way of dropping out of the console, so now I can test much faster (before that, I had to wait for the battery to drain, because I could not leave the initial-ramdisk console).

some additional info: the first grub page offers me four options:

* find grub.cfg
* find grub.cfg manually
* reboot
* shutdown

the first option gives me the problem I told you, the second takes me to some console where I'm supposed to specify where grub.cfg is, including the partition. I don't think I know how to follow through it, but I can try -- will it amount to anything?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
TeX Dog

Joined: 06 Jul 2016
Posts: 341

PostPosted: Tue 15 Nov 2016, 11:38    Post subject:  

Code:
  linux /vmlinuz 

Is missing the shortcut information to scan USB or SDcard slots. So defaults only to internal hard drive and CD/DVD scans.
Yes a 32bit loader to 64bit is old/odd but in the PC world there are some hardware that can't switch bit size but yours can.
I can not tell you what the kernel boot line shortcut codes that tell the OS (the are about 3 different common groups of such within PuppyLinux Family ) I have only read last few pages of this thread and did not see which of the thousand plus versions of PuppyLinux Family you are using.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
TeX Dog

Joined: 06 Jul 2016
Posts: 341

PostPosted: Tue 15 Nov 2016, 11:50    Post subject:  

I was not able to find the boot codes for sdcard with Slacko, but that is a general boot question you can / should on the main Slacko thread that announced its release.
You successfully got past the Quirk of the UEFI boot issues on special hardware, now to the less rare questions how to tell Slacko to only look in sdcard.
You are SO close to get this to work, I feel your frustration, been there done that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
bcuconato

Joined: 14 Nov 2016
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Tue 15 Nov 2016, 19:59    Post subject:  

TeX Dog wrote:
Code:
  linux /vmlinuz 

Is missing the shortcut information to scan USB or SDcard slots. So defaults only to internal hard drive and CD/DVD scans.
Yes a 32bit loader to 64bit is old/odd but in the PC world there are some hardware that can't switch bit size but yours can.
I can not tell you what the kernel boot line shortcut codes that tell the OS (the are about 3 different common groups of such within PuppyLinux Family ) I have only read last few pages of this thread and did not see which of the thousand plus versions of PuppyLinux Family you are using.


would you know the code for a USB boot, by any chance? I can do both, USB or SDHC.

TeX Dog wrote:

I was not able to find the boot codes for sdcard with Slacko, but that is a general boot question you can / should on the main Slacko thread that announced its release.
You successfully got past the Quirk of the UEFI boot issues on special hardware, now to the less rare questions how to tell Slacko to only look in sdcard.
You are SO close to get this to work, I feel your frustration, been there done that.


I'll post it there, thanks!! and yeah, it really is frustrating... I still haven't managed a single working boot with Puppy, being new to linux and all Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
TeX Dog

Joined: 06 Jul 2016
Posts: 341

PostPosted: Tue 15 Nov 2016, 21:25    Post subject:  

Oh well, if you just wanted to try to get this to boot into a linux from our family, use FatDog64. it has the whole OS inside of initrd so it will not need to search for the rest. At the point you are at, that will get you to work easily
I thought Slacko was special to you, Its great no doubt, but for proof to self that such is possible. Breaking away from locked in Windows is so satisfying.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
bcuconato

Joined: 14 Nov 2016
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Wed 16 Nov 2016, 14:25    Post subject:  

TeX Dog wrote:
Oh well, if you just wanted to try to get this to boot into a linux from our family, use FatDog64. it has the whole OS inside of initrd so it will not need to search for the rest. At the point you are at, that will get you to work easily
I thought Slacko was special to you, Its great no doubt, but for proof to self that such is possible. Breaking away from locked in Windows is so satisfying.


well, I'd use any Puppy, really, but I picked Slacko because it seems to have touchscreen support and because it can boot 32-bit UEFI! I'd love to use the touchscreen, but as the tablet has a keyboard too I wouldn't mind using it that way.

do you think I can boot FatDog64 on a 32-bit tablet with a x64 processor? I don't really get how this mixed mode UEFI works in practice...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
TeX Dog

Joined: 06 Jul 2016
Posts: 341

PostPosted: Wed 16 Nov 2016, 14:54    Post subject:  

Yes, others is similar situation got it to work, the iMac hardware can't but haven't come across intel based for windows hardware that also had a built in limit in the EFI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
bcuconato

Joined: 14 Nov 2016
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Wed 16 Nov 2016, 15:28    Post subject:  

TeX Dog wrote:
Yes, others is similar situation got it to work, the iMac hardware can't but haven't come across intel based for windows hardware that also had a built in limit in the EFI


ok, I'll try that too, thanks!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Insomniacno1


Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Posts: 188

PostPosted: Tue 22 Nov 2016, 09:33    Post subject:  

Regarding the boot problem, i normally just put all .sfs files from the .iso in the root of the boot drive, then there are no problems whatsoever.

FatDog64 will not work on 32bit UEFI - read previous post.

My grub.cfg used on my usb

insmod png
background_image /fatdog.png
set timeout=10

menuentry "Start slacko-6.9.6.3-uefi.iso" {
loopback loop0 (hd0,msdos1)/slacko-6.9.6.3-uefi.iso
linux (loop0)/vmlinuz pmedia=usbflash i915.modeset=0
initrd (loop0)/initrd.gz
}
menuentry "Start slacko-6.9.6.4-uefi.iso" {
loopback loop0 (hd0,msdos1)/slacko-6.9.6.4-uefi.iso
linux (loop0)/vmlinuz pmedia=usbflash i915.modeset=0
initrd (loop0)/initrd.gz
}
menuentry "Start slacko-6.9.6.1-uefi.iso" {
loopback loop0 (hd0,msdos1)/slacko-6.9.6.1-uefi.iso
linux (loop0)/vmlinuz pmedia=usbflash i915.modeset=0
initrd (loop0)/initrd.gz
}

menuentry "---" { true; }
menuentry "Firmware configuration" {
fwsetup
}
menuentry "Shutdown" {
halt
}
menuentry "Reboot" {
reboot
}
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Insomniacno1


Joined: 24 Jul 2009
Posts: 188

PostPosted: Tue 22 Nov 2016, 09:45    Post subject:  

@greengeek

Is it possible to use the following commands in terminal to get wi-fi working? If they could be modified to work with puppy slacko - maybe with offline files?
They are reported to work with ubuntu 16.10.

sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-generic git
git clone https://github.com/hadess/rtl8723bs.git
cd rtl8723bs
make
sudo make install
sudo depmod -a
sudo modprobe r8723bs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
greengeek


Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Posts: 4750
Location: Republic of Novo Zelande

PostPosted: Tue 22 Nov 2016, 18:32    Post subject:  

Sorry, I just don't know what is possible. I am quite weak in the area of modding modules and kernels. I know that forum members Tempestuous and rcrsn51 are very skilled when it comes to adding driver modules but I don't know if they will have seen this thread so it might be worth dropping them a line via PM and ask for there advice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 4 of 5 [63 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0638s ][ Queries: 15 (0.0085s) ][ GZIP on ]