Puppy for X86 64bit tablet with 32bit UEFI bios?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
greengeek

#41 Post by greengeek »

Insomniacno1 wrote:

Code: Select all

# xrandr                                                                       
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 800 x 1280, current 800 x 1280, maximum 800 x 1280
default connected 800x1280+0+0 0mm x 0mm
   800x1280       0.00* 
# 
After running xrandr above, i changed LVDS1 to Screen 0 - I get an error when runnig the rotr script:

# sh rotr
warning: output Screen0 not found; ignoring...
It didn't help changing the name to Screen0 as you can see from above output.
All I can suggest is maybe try using "default" instead of "LVDS1".Here is my own xrandr output so you can compare with yours:

# xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 800, maximum 8192 x 8192
LVDS1 connected 1280x800+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x 0mm
   1280x800       60.0*+
   1024x768       60.0  
   800x600        60.3  
VGA1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DVI1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
# 
So "Screen 0" needs to be replaced by the screen name found on the line below it - which is "default". I have no idea if "default" would work but that seems to be what xrandr calls your display.
And as you can see the screen gets found incorrectly, in Windows it can handle: 1280 X 800, 1280x768, 1280x720 and 1024x768
And in windows the screen is set as 1280x800 - but in linux 800x1280 - maybe this is where everything go wrong.
Yes, that seems to be a major problem. The extra display sizes just are not detected. I don't know if that will prevent rotation, but it might.

Your touchscreen seems to be called:
FTSC1000:00 2808:1008
So that could be plugged into the rot8 scripts instead of "eGalax....." - but I guess it's not going to do you any good if the display won't rotate.

Sorry I don't have too much else to suggest.

EDIT :I just want to list some links that I can research in case they contain some useful info:
https://github.com/burzumishi/linux-bay ... /README.md - has some good info about screen and touch device.
(That link suggests using the following syntax to find the "OUTPUT" parameter to use for xrandr:

xrandr | grep -w connected | cut -d" " -f1
For me that comes back with LVDS or LVDS1 depending on device, but I assume for your device this will return "default").

http://forum.xda-developers.com/windows ... 2-t2926413 says:

ok, tips and tricks. to rotate the screen, you need to enter two commands into the terminal

first to rotate the view to the right, you type:

xrandr -output VGA1 -rotate right

on my most recent installation (ubuntu mate 14.04) this didnt work. so I needed instead to use

xrandr -o right

then hit enter of course. this WONT rotate the touchscreen. to rotate that, we need xinput.
first you can type xinput list to list what devices are present. I assume you will see FTSC1000:00 2808:5056 listed. if so, this will work, if not, you will need to adjust this command to fit what you see listed. (most important if you are adapting this guide to another bay trail tablet other then the pipo w2) the command that you want, assuming that's your touchscreen is

xinput set-prop "FTSC1000:00 2808:5056" "Coordinate Transformation Matrix" 0 1 0 -1 0 1 0 0 1

and hit enter of course. your touchscreen should now be rotated to the right as well, 
(Just general info - not necessarily relevant to the OPs device)

Insomniacno1

#42 Post by Insomniacno1 »

Hi greengeek i did as you suggested and still in fresh puppy without savefile but with your .pet installed.

Here are the output from the commands:

# cd rot8
# sh rotr
xrandr: output default cannot use rotation "right" reflection "none"
# 

-------------------------------------------

# xrandr | grep -w connected | cut -d" " -f1
# 

-----------------------------------

# xrandr --output default --rotate right                                     
xrandr: output default cannot use rotation "right" reflection "none"
# 
------------------
[color=red]You need 2 dash's - in the command
[/color]
--------------------------------------------------------

# xrandr -o right
X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  139 (RANDR)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  2 (RRSetScreenConfig)
  Serial number of failed request:  14
  Current serial number in output stream:  14
# 
------------------------------------------------------------

# xinput list 
⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Microsoft Microsoft® Nano Transceiver v1.0	id=7	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Microsoft Microsoft® Nano Transceiver v1.0	id=8	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Generic USB K/B                         	id=10	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ FTSC1000:00 2808:1008                   	id=11	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Microsoft Microsoft® Nano Transceiver v1.0	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Generic USB K/B                         	id=9	[slave  keyboard (3)]
# 

# xinput set-prop "FTSC1000:00 2808:1008" "Coordinate Transformation Matrix" 0>
# 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you or someone else can make sense of this and help getting it corrected:)

greengeek

#43 Post by greengeek »

I think I'm out of ideas at this point. I think you are right about the detection of your video modes - there seems to be no ability for the video driver to handle normal alternative resolutions or functions.

I don't know how to get past that problem unfortunately.

silverblade02

About booting other Puppy flavors

#44 Post by silverblade02 »

Just sharing my experience...

I actually had the same problem in the past (booting Puppy Linux in 32bit UEFI on 64bit computer), but after installing Tahrpup and LxPupSC using Universal USB Installer in Windows, putting the bootia32.efi on /EFI/boot folder and creating a grub.cfg file in root directory, I am able to boot Tahrpup and LxPupSC 16.10.1 (but needed to manually type the grub commands on the bootia32.efi for Asus T100TA). However, I needed to use the Advanced options from Windows to boot the flashdrive properly after disabling the secure boot in BIOS. Please see image for reference:

However, I am still unable to get the WIFI, camera, sounds or touchscreen, or rotation to work. I will try the slacko 6.9 and watch this forum for other possible solutions. :D

Please see the links below for reference:

Universal USB Installer - http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/
bootia32.efi for Asus T100TA - http://www.jfwhome.com/2016/01/04/lates ... us-t100ta/
bootia32.efi from Fatdog - http://blog.puppylinux.com/?viewDetailed=00009

Insomniacno1

#45 Post by Insomniacno1 »

Hi Silverblade, did you read the thread from the beginning?

No need to repeat the solutions, the ones I have given works just fine:)

With kind regards

JBJ

bcuconato

Help with booting Puppy on a 32-bit tablet?

#46 Post by bcuconato »

EDIT: the error is "Searching for Puppy files... puppy_slacko_6.3.2.sfs not found. Dropping out to initial ramdisk console..."

---

hello there,

could you help me booting Puppy on my 32-bit tablet? I've read this topic searching for answers but I think I'm still not at the point that Insomniacno1 has gotten to.

I've posted my doubts on the forum already (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=108910), but I thought should also post it here since this topic is related to it.

I followed this tutorial (http://blog.puppylinux.com/?viewDetailed=00009), I managed to boot from my SDHC card after disabling fast boot and secure boot, but then a terminal opens up after a warning shows up saying it couldn't find the puppy_slacko_6.3.2.sfs file.

do you have any idea of what I could do to boot Slacko or any other puppy (preferably one with touchscreen support, but if not possible it's ok) on my tablet?

all info needed is only the original post above, and I can provide any other info as needed.

thank you,
Last edited by bcuconato on Tue 15 Nov 2016, 00:09, edited 1 time in total.

TeX Dog

#47 Post by TeX Dog »

OK you are in good shape if it got that far. The grub verbs used for GPT style disk differ from (msdos,0 ) etc. On boot, press esc key then (hd [tab] to see what the parts are named, if that look right move the sfs file to the top most level inside where ever you have the other files ( which was found it seems ) also copying into the top level of all normal partitions almost always get found, once booted you can tell which part was used and can edit the grub config line for offset.

bcuconato

#48 Post by bcuconato »

TeX Dog wrote:OK you are in good shape if it got that far. The grub verbs used for GPT style disk differ from (msdos,0 ) etc. On boot, press esc key then (hd [tab] to see what the parts are named, if that look right move the sfs file to the top most level inside where ever you have the other files ( which was found it seems ) also copying into the top level of all normal partitions almost always get found, once booted you can tell which part was used and can edit the grub config line for offset.
I'm not sure I completely understood what you're telling me to do (newbie here), but:

my SDHC live booter has all the files on its root, save for the 'bootia32.efi', which is on EFI/boot. that is, the file is right there with all the others, I don't get why it is not found. (the root of the flash card is what you mean by top-level, right?)

how should I edit the grub.cfg file for that effect? can I specify where the file is as I did for init.gz, for example?

thank you for the reply, TeX Dog!

PS: there's this old thread where people have the same problem http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=48596, but I'm not sure the causes are the same. I can't try their fix, because I don't seem to be able to type '=' on the console...

TeX Dog

#49 Post by TeX Dog »

Yes the boot parts are working but the script inside initrd can't locate needed file that is the O.S. Multiple factors can exist for why that happens but mostly do to numbering and offset of parts of harddrive, Not all possible layouts are supported but shortcuts exist to point to correct sfs. I get it wrong ( numbering and drive layout ) most of the time, so my trick is to place same file in every part of disk I can access safely in the root most level like D:\ C:\ etc if you are used to windows world.
Just so it will boot then work backwards and remove sfs. SDCards are most tricky especially slower ones,

here is an example of device names used in sdcards

boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2

Do you have anything like that in the second part of kernel line in grub?

bcuconato

#50 Post by bcuconato »

TeX Dog wrote:Yes the boot parts are working but the script inside initrd can't locate needed file that is the O.S. Multiple factors can exist for why that happens but mostly do to numbering and offset of parts of harddrive, Not all possible layouts are supported but shortcuts exist to point to correct sfs. I get it wrong ( numbering and drive layout ) most of the time, so my trick is to place same file in every part of disk I can access safely in the root most level like D:\ C:\ etc if you are used to windows world.
Just so it will boot then work backwards and remove sfs. SDCards are most tricky especially slower ones,

here is an example of device names used in sdcards

boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2

Do you have anything like that in the second part of kernel line in grub?
I'll try putting the file on every level of the SD card then, thanks!

my grub.cfg looks like this:

insmod png
background_image /slacko.png
set timeout=10
menuentry "Start slacko" {
    linux /vmlinuz
    initrd /initrd.gz
}
I can think of possible other problems, would mind telling me if they are possible?

* the tutorial I used was meant for Slacko 6.3, not 6.3.2
* my tablet is weird, the OS (or BIOS?) is 32-bit, but the processor is x64 (or is that expected?)
* maybe I didn't follow the tutorial correctly? I did not have to mount any .iso image, I just dragged and dropped the files, as I understood from the tutorial

---

EDIT: I've put the puppy_slacko_6.3.2 everywhere I could and it still doesn't work...
at least I found a way of dropping out of the console, so now I can test much faster (before that, I had to wait for the battery to drain, because I could not leave the initial-ramdisk console).

some additional info: the first grub page offers me four options:

* find grub.cfg
* find grub.cfg manually
* reboot
* shutdown

the first option gives me the problem I told you, the second takes me to some console where I'm supposed to specify where grub.cfg is, including the partition. I don't think I know how to follow through it, but I can try -- will it amount to anything?

TeX Dog

#51 Post by TeX Dog »

linux /vmlinuz  
Is missing the shortcut information to scan USB or SDcard slots. So defaults only to internal hard drive and CD/DVD scans.
Yes a 32bit loader to 64bit is old/odd but in the PC world there are some hardware that can't switch bit size but yours can.
I can not tell you what the kernel boot line shortcut codes that tell the OS (the are about 3 different common groups of such within PuppyLinux Family ) I have only read last few pages of this thread and did not see which of the thousand plus versions of PuppyLinux Family you are using.

TeX Dog

#52 Post by TeX Dog »

I was not able to find the boot codes for sdcard with Slacko, but that is a general boot question you can / should on the main Slacko thread that announced its release.
You successfully got past the Quirk of the UEFI boot issues on special hardware, now to the less rare questions how to tell Slacko to only look in sdcard.
You are SO close to get this to work, I feel your frustration, been there done that.

bcuconato

#53 Post by bcuconato »

TeX Dog wrote:

linux /vmlinuz  
Is missing the shortcut information to scan USB or SDcard slots. So defaults only to internal hard drive and CD/DVD scans.
Yes a 32bit loader to 64bit is old/odd but in the PC world there are some hardware that can't switch bit size but yours can.
I can not tell you what the kernel boot line shortcut codes that tell the OS (the are about 3 different common groups of such within PuppyLinux Family ) I have only read last few pages of this thread and did not see which of the thousand plus versions of PuppyLinux Family you are using.
would you know the code for a USB boot, by any chance? I can do both, USB or SDHC.
TeX Dog wrote: I was not able to find the boot codes for sdcard with Slacko, but that is a general boot question you can / should on the main Slacko thread that announced its release.
You successfully got past the Quirk of the UEFI boot issues on special hardware, now to the less rare questions how to tell Slacko to only look in sdcard.
You are SO close to get this to work, I feel your frustration, been there done that.
I'll post it there, thanks!! and yeah, it really is frustrating... I still haven't managed a single working boot with Puppy, being new to linux and all :(

TeX Dog

#54 Post by TeX Dog »

Oh well, if you just wanted to try to get this to boot into a linux from our family, use FatDog64. it has the whole OS inside of initrd so it will not need to search for the rest. At the point you are at, that will get you to work easily
I thought Slacko was special to you, Its great no doubt, but for proof to self that such is possible. Breaking away from locked in Windows is so satisfying.

bcuconato

#55 Post by bcuconato »

TeX Dog wrote:Oh well, if you just wanted to try to get this to boot into a linux from our family, use FatDog64. it has the whole OS inside of initrd so it will not need to search for the rest. At the point you are at, that will get you to work easily
I thought Slacko was special to you, Its great no doubt, but for proof to self that such is possible. Breaking away from locked in Windows is so satisfying.
well, I'd use any Puppy, really, but I picked Slacko because it seems to have touchscreen support and because it can boot 32-bit UEFI! I'd love to use the touchscreen, but as the tablet has a keyboard too I wouldn't mind using it that way.

do you think I can boot FatDog64 on a 32-bit tablet with a x64 processor? I don't really get how this mixed mode UEFI works in practice...

TeX Dog

#56 Post by TeX Dog »

Yes, others is similar situation got it to work, the iMac hardware can't but haven't come across intel based for windows hardware that also had a built in limit in the EFI

bcuconato

#57 Post by bcuconato »

TeX Dog wrote:Yes, others is similar situation got it to work, the iMac hardware can't but haven't come across intel based for windows hardware that also had a built in limit in the EFI
ok, I'll try that too, thanks!!

Insomniacno1

#58 Post by Insomniacno1 »

Regarding the boot problem, i normally just put all .sfs files from the .iso in the root of the boot drive, then there are no problems whatsoever.

FatDog64 will not work on 32bit UEFI - read previous post.

My grub.cfg used on my usb

insmod png
background_image /fatdog.png
set timeout=10

menuentry "Start slacko-6.9.6.3-uefi.iso" {
loopback loop0 (hd0,msdos1)/slacko-6.9.6.3-uefi.iso
linux (loop0)/vmlinuz pmedia=usbflash i915.modeset=0
initrd (loop0)/initrd.gz
}
menuentry "Start slacko-6.9.6.4-uefi.iso" {
loopback loop0 (hd0,msdos1)/slacko-6.9.6.4-uefi.iso
initrd (loop0)/initrd.gz
}
menuentry "Start slacko-6.9.6.1-uefi.iso" {
loopback loop0 (hd0,msdos1)/slacko-6.9.6.1-uefi.iso
initrd (loop0)/initrd.gz
}

menuentry "---" { true; }
menuentry "Firmware configuration" {
fwsetup
}
menuentry "Shutdown" {
halt
}
menuentry "Reboot" {
reboot
}

Insomniacno1

#59 Post by Insomniacno1 »

@greengeek

Is it possible to use the following commands in terminal to get wi-fi working? If they could be modified to work with puppy slacko - maybe with offline files?
They are reported to work with ubuntu 16.10.

sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-generic git
git clone https://github.com/hadess/rtl8723bs.git
cd rtl8723bs
make
sudo make install
sudo depmod -a
sudo modprobe r8723bs

greengeek

#60 Post by greengeek »

Sorry, I just don't know what is possible. I am quite weak in the area of modding modules and kernels. I know that forum members Tempestuous and rcrsn51 are very skilled when it comes to adding driver modules but I don't know if they will have seen this thread so it might be worth dropping them a line via PM and ask for there advice.