THINSlacko

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rufwoof

Re: s533t_with_integral_remaster

#121 Post by rufwoof »

sheldonisaac wrote:I followed that suggestion, but it still couldn't connect to the wireless.

I had changed the original Broadcom card for an Intel, hoping it would work with LibrePuppy; it doesn't.

I'm back in SuperLuPu now.

Code: Select all

lspci -nnk | grep -i net
00:19.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection [8086:10ea] (rev 05)
02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak] [8086:0085] (rev 34)

lsmod | grep -i iwl
iwlwifi               139181  0 
mac80211              138394  1 iwlwifi
cfg80211              116254  2 iwlwifi,mac80211
If I can get a module (from where) for the Intel card which works in THINslacko, need I blacklist the iwlagn ?
How do I do that?
Sounds like you know more about the network side of things than me so sorry I can't help on that front. When I first started with puppy after XP dropped support 18 months ago others were very helpful and even pointed me to a 'patch' that I need to add (pet) in order to get my wireless card working back then. I didn't understand then what was being done, and even now have little better understanding of network configuration/wireless connection etc. More a case of a end user in that respect who either sees it work or not.

I have seen postings hereabouts of modules and suspect that thinslacko might be missing a module that your hardware requires. But sorry I can't help on that front.

csipesz

#122 Post by csipesz »

big, big respect for this master piece, 01micko!
I prepared it from him a variant, in a size of the same size:
slacko-5.3.3YAT(Yet Another Thin)-v1-EngHun-01micko-csipesz-2015-nov.iso 100.0 MB
https://mega.nz/#!VEUCUCqC!6sSV9Z0BFqr2 ... 5cwOG8tNyg
or
http://www.solidfiles.com/d/811308854d/
What's in
gpicview, xvkbd, openbox/lxpanel, pwidgets, modern getflash, 2 minigame
What's out
pmusic, osmo, notecase, gdmap, viewnior, rubix, xsoldier, some themes
Attachments
Screenshot_2015-11-12_10_50_02.jpg
(108.37 KiB) Downloaded 1650 times
logo.jpg
(39.94 KiB) Downloaded 1684 times

ally

#123 Post by ally »

Pelo

one Thin Slacko for Pelo, pleeease

#124 Post by Pelo »

one Thin Slacko for Pelo, pleeease. Downloading from archives.org, thanks ally.
namoroka 3.6.28 is the brower (3.6.28)
Very nice thin Slacko tuned in Hungaria, wasn'it ?

Pelo

the best Slacko we will ever had ?

#125 Post by Pelo »

"big, big respect for this master piece, 01micko! " the best Slacko we will ever had ? Store it somewhere safe :)
I'm am pleased with your derivative from Hongrie too. The Apps you deleted should'nt have been a big fat. One european country, one Puppy, as a flag :!:
I am trying to change the tuning too. Just for challenge of it. And keeping it under 130MB of course.

unicorn316386

#126 Post by unicorn316386 »

@Pelo: Looking forward to seeing what you do and trying out your derivative. Will this be based off Slacko 6.3? Good luck. ;)

Pelo

Thin Slacko ; i just changed the tuning

#127 Post by Pelo »

Thin Slacko ; i just changed the tuning, ... and the kernel too
But I thought i was somehow Idiot to change the kernel as the installed kernel fit my computer's firmware.

rufwoof

#128 Post by rufwoof »

Good ol' Thin Slacko, with original kernel, tweaked to have multiple desktops (different icons and wallpapers on each desktop) as per http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 548#874548, running/recorded on a ol' clunky single core Celeron - mp4 VIDEO : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4MbXu ... sp=sharing.

One of the few pup's where the full Openshot video editing functions actually work (animated titles, 3D animations etc.) IME

I've added rdesktop/vnc server and Samba server to mine, so standard windows machines can RDP into it and remote control the desktop. Image below is for Wary barebone RDP'd from a Windows box, similar sort of appearance of a 1024x760 pup running as a RDP window from within Win 8

RDP provides full control as though you were sitting at the Puppy monitor, Samba shares provide the access to the files.

Having got more used to running with multiple distinct desktops (different wallpapers and icons), it makes other pup's feel somewhat lacking.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
(49.92 KiB) Downloaded 1305 times

rufwoof

Re: Thin Slacko ; i just changed the tuning

#129 Post by rufwoof »

Pelo wrote:Thin Slacko ; i just changed the tuning, ... and the kernel too
But I thought i was somehow Idiot to change the kernel as the installed kernel fit my computer's firmware.
Which kernel did you change to Pelo?

I've dropped in 3.14.55 a LTS kernel taken from slacko 6.1.0.1 and everythings still runs great - and it works on our latest PC that previously under the old/original kernel had no net connection nor mouse working.

I haven't changed DISTRO-SPECS on mine yet so it shows the pup as being the slacko 6.1.0.1.

I've got so used to using different desktops for different icons in my version, first for setup, last for shudown ...etc type navigation, that it seems odd when using other pups that have the same icon set on each and every desktop.

I have a sfs directory where each sfs in that directory is loaded at startup using my quick load sfs script. I've moved Openshot, Audacity, Blender and xvidcap into the core pup, along with Samba and Remote Desktop (making sharing and accessing to/from Windows boxes a breeze), bloating it out to around 250MB, on top of which I sfs load another 350MB of stuff (Libre Office, masterpdf_editor, Skype etc) i.e. 600MB ISO. I frugal ram boot each and every time, no savefile (use portable firefox for general browsing and email, store all docs etc outside of puppy). I just remaster (couple of minutes) if/when changes need to be preserved across reboots (updates etc.), otherwise the exact same pup boots each and every time (clean and crisp).

RDP on a Windows Vista box is under Start, Programs, Accessories, Remote Desktop. On Win 8 its a case of hit the Windows Button and type in RDP to search/locate it. Both run the puppy desktop remotely fine IME (and both have the puppy filesystem appear in the windows filemanger (network) ok). As a stand alone the pup works great also.
Attachments
d1.jpg
(58.7 KiB) Downloaded 1110 times
d2.jpg
(54.25 KiB) Downloaded 1119 times
d3.jpg
(37.37 KiB) Downloaded 1117 times

Pelo

Slacko visit to Budapest (magyar dictionary)

#130 Post by Pelo »

I changed my opinion and keep the kernel of 533thin. i Use tonight hungarian version.
Webforditas.hu will help you to speak Magyar (not easy). In France we study english to welcome UK citizen in France, but Magyar is only necessary to pay a visit at Budapest.. and to nice Thin Slacko renewed by hungarian team.
:evil: ardis icons are ugly. I change that. csipesz version one is nicer than version two (your above screenshot prooves it)

Slacko 533thin is enough and fit our laptops Rams. No useless stuff to slow the Puppy speed. No useless libraries.
Slacko 533thin is the distro to give a second chance to your old Windows XP laptop.(racy5.3 or an old Saluki 023 will be an alternative)
Attachments
Dictionary.jpg
2 months linuxing hungarian Puppies : great progress in magyar words.
(71.96 KiB) Downloaded 957 times
Last edited by Pelo on Tue 29 Mar 2016, 03:29, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

full Openshot video editing functions

#131 Post by Pelo »

"One of the few pup's where the full Openshot video editing functions actually work (animated titles, 3D animations etc.) IME " merci rufwoof
translation for hungary : "Egy az kevés kölyökkutya hol a teljes Openshot videószerkesztés-funkciók ténylegesen működnek (animált címek, 3D animációk , stb.) IME"
Very importan for all aficianados of photo and movies.
I install it immediatly from slickpet.

Post-scriptum : rufwoof, can you provide us wall paper d2 please (golden dog) ? Muchas gracias (Europe is a patchwork of languages, and of money)
Second question ; is there an english Puppy Linux (from England, i mean) ?

Pelo

my wallpaper golden Dog ???

#132 Post by Pelo »

Rufwoof, my wallpaper golden Dog ??? never Mind :(

Pelo

Rufwoof, i dont find which Slacko 5.3.3 i changed the kernel

#133 Post by Pelo »

Rufwoof, i dont find which Slacko 5.3.3 i changed the kernel.. Sorry.
It's an easy thing to do.. Useful if wireless is ad because you can switch to a kernel which driver is provided in the forum for dongle antenna wifi.

Sage

#134 Post by Sage »

THINSlacko5.3.3t . Fantastic - thanks!

greengeek

#135 Post by greengeek »

Smithy wrote:4. Synaptics is still knackered on laptop (like a lot of other distros). Only 3hd correctly sorted the touchpad. The problem is the tap bit and I haven't managed to get it to work on loads of them (believe me i tried) so they get junked..
Smithy - sorry for bringing up an old quote - but what was "3hd" - I have some netbooks and laptops that have different responses to flsynclient and I'm keen to look at other methods to control touchpads.

ETP

#136 Post by ETP »

Hi greengeek,

In Greek mythology, Cerberus (/ˈsɜ
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

greengeek

#137 Post by greengeek »

Aaaah, that comment made me chuckle and weep. Thanks ETP. Certainly a read of the first post for 3HD makes it look like a hybrid FrankenPup from Hell but based on the comments of some of the users it looks like a distro well worth keeping in the back kennel for the days when nothing else works.

For now, your description was enough to make me want to keep my distance :-)

peebee

ThinSlacko16-16.11

#138 Post by peebee »

Just an experiment - probably won't be maintained

Download from SourceForge

A Woof-CE-Rationalise build using the attached config files

A cut down version of slacko-6.9.6.4 (interested to hear if anything else should have been removed). xserver_xorg_thin copied from THINSlacko-5.3.3t

Kernel in zdrv is 4.8.8 32-bit pae

No browser or firmware in the iso - an adrv with the light-48 webbrowser and an fdrv with firmware (e.g. for wifi) are in the download folder. Size still comes out at 175MB even with all these cuts....

Items removed compared to slacko-6.9.6.4 are:

PKGS_SPECS_TABLE='
removed|abiword||exe,dev,doc,nls
removed|alsaequal||exe,dev
removed|aspell|aspell|exe,dev,doc,nls
removed|caps||exe,dev
removed|didiwiki||exe,dev
removed|gnome-icon-theme||exe>dev,dev,doc,nls| #too bloated for main fs so send to devx, needed to compile some progs
removed|gnumeric||exe,dev,doc,nls
removed|goffice||exe,dev,doc,nls
removed|gutenprint|gutenprint|exe,dev,doc,nls
removed|hiawatha||exe,dev
removed|homebank||exe,dev>null,doc,nls
removed|inkscapelite||exe,dev,doc,nls
removed|kernel_headers_musl||exe>dev
removed|linux-header|kernel-headers|exe>dev,dev,doc,nls
removed|mozilla-firefox|mozilla-firefox|exe,dev>null,doc>null| #must keep maintained if used, no from patches repo
removed|network_roxapp_samba||exe
removed|pequalizer||exe
removed|pmusic_PLUGIN_tray||exe
removed|samba||exe,dev,doc
removed|sfs_manager||exe
removed|sylpheed||exe,dev,doc>null,nls>null
removed|updates_mgr||exe
removed|xf86-video-fbdev||exe,dev,doc| #virtualbox with UEFI needs this
removed|x-keyboard||exe,dev
removed|xserver_xorg|xorg-server,xf86-video-*,xf86-input-*|exe,dev,doc,nls
substituted|xserver_xorg_thin|xorg-server,
    xf86-video-*,xf86-input-*,-xf86-video-dummy,-xf86-video-glint,
    -xf86-video-nsc,-xf86-video-radeonhd,-xf86-video-tga,
    -xf86-video-vga|exe,dev,doc,nls
removed|xvkbd||exe,dev
removed|YASSM||exe
'
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(102.89 KiB) Downloaded 798 times
slackot-16.11-configs.tar.gz
(6.01 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
Last edited by peebee on Sat 19 Nov 2016, 07:13, edited 2 times in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Pelo

How much are Thin, or Slim

#139 Post by Pelo »

Thin, slim... browser included or not...
Your Thin is bigger than Slim x-Slacko by mistfire xslacko-slim-Auguste.iso: 156 M (browser included)
Thin Slacko 5.3.3 Slacko-5.3.3thin-SCSI.iso: 100 M (browser included) is much lighter than Slim X-Slacko.
slimX-6.iso: 170 M....
The Puppy OS has to be fluent on 512MB ACER aspire 1640, where x-slim slacko is not. That is the challenge. Thin 5.3.3 is fluent but has a bug for pupsaves.
mistfire process to trim the fat.
Windows XP ended around 2011. We need drivers for computers 2011 and older. Drivers and libs for newer technologies (3D, Dri, bluetooth) are useless and fill the RAM.
Computers with Windows 7 generally have at least 1GB RAM and can run all standard puppies, no need to delete the Included browser or something else.

Sage

#140 Post by Sage »

16-16.11: interesting. No browser installed in basic, as advertised - probably not generally acceptable?
..anything else should have been removed
Don't like the overhead duplication tray, reminds me of certain other distros I particularly dislike. [micko1 told me how to remove it, but it's so convoluted I can't remember] The concept of .sfs/adrv/zdrv s & co. doesn't appeal to me, esp. in a super-compact offering. Lots of particularly bland backgrounds. Not a show stopper, but why not select a few interesting ones like micko' s guitar/moonshine/guy-on-a-bike?
Otherwise, works OK and has some endearing features, would be much much better if it could be downsized to rival John's MeanPup masterpiece - still the one to beat ten years on?!
Anyone (including John!) know a live URL for Meanpup d/l? All the old ones are dead.