Grafpup-104beta

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Nathan F

Grafpup-104beta

#1 Post by Nathan F »

Hey, I know that Puppy2 is all the rage now but I'm releasing what will probably be the final build of of Grafpup based on the old architechture. More specifically this is the beta leading up to the release.

Anyway I do think this includes some features worth exploring and would love it if some of you give it a spin. Announcement here - http://grafpup.com/news/?cat=2

There is also a deluxe iso that currently sits at around 395MB, because it includes all of Grafpup's squashfile extensions in the iso and a utility to load or unload them on the fly. This is going out as a bittorrent only for now, and it would be nice to have a few seeders (give you an excuse to fire up Transmission :wink: ), but please wait until a few hours from now so that the first couple seeders can get established.

Looking forward to getting a Puppy2 based buld out, probably sometime in July.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: Grafpup-104beta

#2 Post by Lobster »

Nathan F wrote: There is also a deluxe iso that currently sits at around 395MB, because it includes all of Grafpup's squashfile extensions in the iso and a utility to load or unload them on the fly.
Nathan
ah I did not know that or find the utility - could not understand why it was so large . . .

have added the announcement to wiki news
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

raffy

Give it a shot

#3 Post by raffy »

Yes, people will give it a shot, in the same way 1.09CE is relished by many users.

This is a nice idea that you started, a "deluxe ISO" which can be ordered from grafpup. I guess MU is calling his KDE build a "megapup".

Nathan F

#4 Post by Nathan F »

ah I did not know that or find the utility - could not understand why it was so large . . .
Yes, in the first preview the utility was CLI only, so no menu entry and probably not enough documentation. This time around it has a graphical interface as well.

From the command line run 'squash -h' to see options for loading. The GUI version is called Gsquash. Just remember to close all other applications before executing, or unionfs might lock up your machine :shock:

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

Thanks Nathan :)
Hope others will try it out
I tried the standard Grafpup Beta on two machines one a Time brand with PCLinuxOS on the HD did not seem to like Grafpup - no idea why - tried option 4 boot - load to RAM
Still no joy. Standard Puppys have always worked. It was something to do with
the HD and may be the reiserfs that PCLinuxOS uses . . .

This is a 1 series Puppy base distro using a very nice Icewm environment
the logo and background seemed more mature than the previous burgundy
The icons are great. Opera is nicely tweaked
It has Monkey Server support, Gimp and Inkscape (now in Puppy 2) Scribus
and the latest Rox which some prefer (very nicely modified with
new icons). Mtpaint has modified icons - new icons will be available
in the new 3.00 Mtpaint.

A lot to explore and report back on

woof woof
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

lvds

#6 Post by lvds »

Hi,

I downloaded your last Grafpup and also had no chance at running it:
Though it does detect correctly my mouse in usb, the Xorg video test not allowed me to move the mouse.

I had exactly the same problem with SimplePup.

Other puppy distribution i tested are ok with my mouse, Pizzapup for example detects mouse ok and runs fine. I don't know where the problem could be from but i hope you have hints as i would really like to try Grafpup and show it to friends also.

Best regards

lvds

#7 Post by lvds »

Hi,

I finally found where the problem was coming from for Grafpup and SimplePup. My USB mouse (Logitech G5) is not recognized correctly. I have changed mouse and plugged a PS/2 mouse and everything runs fine. As i have not another usb mouse i can't do others tests. Anyway, USB keys are not recognized either. Until now PizzaPup seems to be the only puppy able to load everything fine. I keep on testing... :-)

Best regards,
Laurent.

darrelljon

#8 Post by darrelljon »

I know its not the latest version, but I just downloaded grafpup 104 deluxe. It asks me for a password when it boots up. What is the password? When I get it wrong, it asks me for a username too.

MU

#9 Post by MU »

this happened in puppy 1 with broken downloads.
Check the md5sum or download again please.

In general, Puppy does not ask for a password, just if you swtch the virtual console (CTRL-ALT-F2), then it needs "root" as user, and no password.

Mark

darrelljon

#10 Post by darrelljon »

Aha, I must have started Virtualbox before it finished downloading, because its working now. BTW where is OpenOffice?

disciple

#11 Post by disciple »

Openoffice is in one of the squashfiles that you have to load either from the cd or the hard drive. If you put them in the same place as your pup001 file, they will load at bootup, if you put them in a folder there called squash, or you want to load them from CD, you can load and unload them using Gsquash, which is hidden in the menu somewhere (I think under setup, but I can't check as I'm at University). You can just run

Code: Select all

squash
in a terminal. Sometimes you can load and unload them with programs running, but you're not supposed to :)
Out of curiosity, why did you download 104? Because there is no deluxe version of 2? I'm still running a very customised 104 that I think is the best distro ever made :) If you're going to be actually using 104 I may have some stuff that you'd like - like a hacked version of Puppy's mini-volume app if you're using JWM. I was going to do a remaster, but it took so long to get stuff the way I wanted, and Nathan was talking about doing similar things for Grafpup 2 as I was (eg firefox/thunderbird squashfile), and I found there is so little compatibility with newer stuff that it was silly to encourage people to use a Puppy 1.x version.