TinyCore and Grb4Dos

Using applications, configuring, problems
Fishy

TinyCore and Grb4Dos

#1 Post by Fishy »

HI all

I have used Puppy for many years and finally dumped Windows off my dual boot box 3 years ago. I have never had an issue with grub4dos not finding a puppy and putting it on the menu list.

I am using Tahr64 6.0.5 frugal on sdb1 for my main distro and have had at least three other frugal pups on at the same time. All selectable on boot no problem with grub4dos bootloader.

For giggles and curiosity about such a small system I down loaded TinyCore and using their installer put it in the same partition as my pup and used grub4dos to locate and added it to the boot list. It will not see the little devil just sitting there sneering at me. LOL

Anybody got a menu list entry that I can cut and paste. Not a biggy if the answer is no. Puppy is always there like the rock of Gibraltar to lean on.

AMD X2 with 4 gig, optical and 2 hard drives. Drive sda1 is back-up storage with sdb1 formated to ext4 and all installs.

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Fishy

G4DOS

#3 Post by Fishy »

A bit too technical for an old Fart. I have grazed through so many posts my eyes fell out. LOL

It seemed so simple - install TCE to the same partition as Tahr64 6.0.5 and run grub4dos in Puppy just like always and I would be able to select from the boot menu which distro to run. :cry:

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

entered in error.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeslr

Try installing TinyCore's version of Grub4dos

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Fishy,

Semme's links were on point, if a little cryptic. The Grub4dos versions included in Puppy may not be able to see TinyCore. But the one used by TinyCore certainly should. On the other hand, it might not see Puppies.

So try the following. Copy your current menu.lst to a safe place. Run TinyCore from a USB-Key or CD. Run install Grub4dos into it. Run Grub4dos placing it on the partition from which you boot partition now. If necessary, edit the Menu.lst TinyCore's Grub4dos will generate to include the Puppy listings of your saved menu.lst.

mikesLr