OB-Precise 15.01 kernel 3.17.7 PAE

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
vicmz

#1 Post by vicmz »

This is OpenBox Precise version 15.01-k3.17.7 (January 2015). As always, think of it as experimental at first. Try it especially if you are looking for a Precise update.

Download: https://copy.com/kjSRz66KGRMob9HF

Mirror at Archive.org (thanks Ally)

If you are still with version 15.01-k3.17.4 then see also obprecise1501-fix20150110.pet attached below.

Previous version 14.07.26 k3.9.11

What's new:

:arrow: Kernel 3.17.7 PAE compiled in Tahrpup by 666philb. Kernel sources available here.
:arrow: PaleMoon 25.1 as default browser.
:arrow: Frisbee 1.3.1 as default connect wizard.
:arrow: GStreamer 0.10 buitin.
:arrow: XChat as default chat (Pidgin removed).
:arrow: pBurn 4.3.11.
:arrow: DeaDBeeF 0.6.2 from don570 as default audio player. However, pMusic is still available and up-to-date (version 4.4.6). Whatever audio player is set as default can be launched from the music icon in the right of the Lxpanel, or by hitting the Ctrl+Alt+A keys.
:arrow: Claws-Mail 3.11.1 as default email.
:arrow: mtPaint updated to 3.44.90.
:arrow: Take a Shot! 1.8, PackIt 1.9.
:arrow: PeasyApps updated (PeasyMP3 not included).
:arrow: p7zip buitin, .7z packages open with XArchive.
:arrow: New Elementary theme combination.
:arrow: New category "Help" in the Lxpanel menu, with direct links to local help, as well as the Puppy Linux discussion forum (all entries are opened in the default browser). Make your own manuals and set a key word for the field "Categories" of the .desktop, for example: Tutorial, Handbook, HowTo, Manual, Info, Documentation, Help, etc.
:arrow: You can swap kernels with 666philb's ones available here. No need to do the terminal part, just rename the zdrv to zdrv_obprecise_15.01.sfs and you're ready to go. However, note that those kernels were made for Tahrpup, so kernel swapping in this case is in fact experimental.

Keyboard shortcuts:

CTRL+SHIFT+M=Lxpanel menu (use the arrow keys and Enter to select menu items),
ALT+CTRL+Q=Openbox menu (use the arrow keys and Enter to select menu items),
CTRL+ALT+W=default word processor,
CTRL+ALT+B=default browser,
CTRL+ALT+A=default audio player,
CTRL+ALT+V=default media player,
CTRL+ALT+G=Galculator
CTRL+ALT+E=default text editor,
CTRL+ALT+P=default paint,
CTRL+ALT+K=default spreadsheet editor,
CTRL+ALT+M=default email client,
CTRL+ALT+T=ROXTerm terminal,
CTRL+ALT+S=Take a Shot! screen capture,
PrintScreen=Quick screenshot opened in mtPaint.
CTRL+SHIFT+X=PupShutdown (shutdown options)

:idea: Remember you can bookmark directories in ROX-Filer and click them from the Openbox menu as quick shortcuts: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 202#791202

Known issues:

:arrow: Your computer may likely not connect to the Internet automatically at first boot, click the connect icon and choose Frisbee, or close the welcome dialog and click the network icon in the right of Lxpanel, it will start Frisbee and after saving session it should connect to the Internet automatically. This was setup because for some reason, Simple Network Setup doesn't connect automatically, not at first boot, neither after rebooting with a savefile, and one wouldn't like to connect manually each time the system is booted.
:arrow: Notice that QuickPet Precise is still available, but as its driver selection is for kernel 3.9.11, they won't work in this new build with different kernel. Same goes for other kernel-dependent packages, and for the ndiswrapper of 15.01-k3.17.4 (I was able to compile it and put it in 15.01-k3.17.7, but I'm not able to test it). The kernel headers and sources are available for compiling drivers and kernel-sensitive programs.
:arrow: The RAM monitor of Lxpanel doesn't work. If you need to check RAM consumption, you can install pWidgets or open Htop from the System menu.

Thanks to BarryK and the Puppy developers for creating the tools for an average Joe to put together a Puppy Linux ISO.
And thanks to josejp2424, nilsonmorales and the guys at the #puppy-latino IRC channel for their help.
Attachments
obprecise1501-fix20150110.pet
- Fix duplicate ROX call
- Spacers to center top panel properly
(3.55 KiB) Downloaded 736 times
obp1501k3174.jpg
(36.23 KiB) Downloaded 8654 times
Last edited by vicmz on Tue 13 Jan 2015, 00:08, edited 5 times in total.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

peebee

#2 Post by peebee »

Hi vicmz

Nice pup - congrats.

Frugal install on my desktop with nvidia graphics went well.

You might want to:

- put a couple of stretch spaces each side of the top panel so as to centre it properly

- move to 666philb's updated k3.17.7 kernel as the k.3.17.4 version you are using has the problem with usb keyboards during savefile selection at boot time

- edit .xinitrc as you've left in 2 calls to Rox (capital R) when setting the pinboard and obprecise doesn't have Rox - only rox. The lines can be delete as line 133 above is the correct pinboard command.

- use updated version of openbox? I can send you link to openbox-3.5.2 if you pm me

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

vicmz

#3 Post by vicmz »

peebee wrote: You might want to:

- put a couple of stretch spaces each side of the top panel so as to centre it properly
(...)
- edit .xinitrc as you've left in 2 calls to Rox (capital R) when setting the pinboard and obprecise doesn't have Rox - only rox. The lines can be delete as line 133 above is the correct pinboard command.
Please install obprecise1501-fix20150110.pet attached to the first post. It restores the original xinitrc, since the fix applied previously (for Lxpanel to show up instantly instead of right-clicking) does nothing. This issue is rare, but users reported that installing new gtk themes makes it more frequent.
peebee wrote:- use updated version of openbox? I can send you link to openbox-3.5.2 if you pm me
I tried, but I got stability issues, so I decided to go for the one that works. Maybe I should let someone compile this one for me, and save learning for later.
peebee wrote:- move to 666philb's updated k3.17.7 kernel as the k.3.17.4 version you are using has the problem with usb keyboards during savefile selection at boot time
I wasn't aware about that issue, especially because I make only one savefile. You mean that the bug is in the kernel itself and therefore it is also in this build, right? I'll find my USB keyboard to test (I'm using a PS/2 one at the moment).

This is the most important point of your feedback, I think. I didn't want to just use a kernel compiled by another person without trying to compile it myself. There's also the advice of the ReadMe file in the kernel kit:
Be aware that for best results you should compile in a host
distro which is compatible with the target distro.
This doesn't mean I'm not willing to use 666philb's kernels, in fact it'd be nice to use a kernel configured and compiled by a more experienced user. Also, it'd be an interesting experiment to further test the kernels. The only reason I was hesitant to pick one was that kernel headers and kernel sources are not available. Yeah, I may not need them myself, but sooner or later someone will ask for them.

For this OBprecise, kernels were swapped by the same method described by 666philb in his readme file here:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... r/kernels/

This means that if you want to upgrade the kernel to 3.17.7, you can download 666philb's from the link above and swap as described in the readme. Note that you don't have to do the terminal part anymore, just rename the zdrv to zdrv_obprecise_15.01.sfs and you're ready to go.

Nice feedback, thank you for taking the time to test the ISO.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

peebee

#4 Post by peebee »

Hi vicmz

The updated kernels are at:

http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... r/kernels/

those with update in their names - 3.14.20 pae & nopae + 3.17.7 pae

Your 3.17.4 does exhibit the problem but 666philb hasn't updated that version

It isn't a kernel bug - it's configuring the kernel correctly for the new zdrv method of making swapping kernels easy.

Kernel sources are at:
http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... ages-tahr/

666philb explains what has changed at:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 772#819772

& http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 959#819959
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

666philb

#5 Post by 666philb »

hi vicmz,

for ndiswrapper look here 3rd & 4th post http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=195

you need to compile separate ones for PAE & noPAE even if it's the same kernel version

ndiswrapper should probably be in the zdrv.sfs (not tried yet)
in tahrpup i put them in the main build and you needed to manually do depmod -a to get it to work.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

ally

#6 Post by ally »

vicmz

#7 Post by vicmz »

Thank you guys for all information, advice and download mirrors. The new ISO with kernel 3.17.7 and ndiswrapper-patched was uploaded to the same folder link of the first post. Also no need to install the obprecise1501-fix20150110.pet anymore. The ndiswrapper was not tested yet, I haven't got the resources.

Note that if you haven't installed any kernel-dependent programs or done any special setups, then there is no need to create a new savefile. You can do it if still in doubt, though.

cimarron

#8 Post by cimarron »

I really liked your previous OB-Precise, and remastered it, but was able to successfully update the kernel to 3.17.7 using your new version (and jrb's easy instructions). I suppose it would have been no work at all if I hadn't folded the zdrv into the main sfs with the remaster, but it was still pretty easy.

UPDATE: The newer kernel worked okay on my old Inspiron 5100, P4 with 512M RAM. Seemed a little faster for some things. But xv video with mplayer showed no picture, just audio (X11 and xvidix were okay). Also, "sensors" didn't work to access CPU temperature. And OpenGL games ran very slowly, basically unplayable. For anyone with those problems using this kernel, try vicmz's earlier version of OB-Precise, with kernel 3.9.11, for better performance.

Pelo

obprecise_14.07.26.sfs dated 2014...

#9 Post by Pelo »

obprecise_14.07.26.sfs dated 2014...
OB-precise 15.01 : ok i shall look at it.
My purpose is not so much the Puppy, but apps included. I am searching for a music player which would read my CD and search the web the metadata, album and artis pictures. Vicmz got it, but i suppose was not included in the puppy..
What's is name.... I don't remember. It would be aqualung, if my memory does not fail.
" DeaDBeeF 0.6.2 from don570 as default audio player. However, pMusic is still available and up-to-date (version 4.4.6). Whatever audio player is set as default can be launched from the music icon in the right of the Lxpanel, or by hitting the Ctrl+Alt+A keys. "
exaile, that is exaile that vicmz runs here
Attachments
SnackAmp.jpg
SnackAmp tested for fun.
(111.97 KiB) Downloaded 1605 times
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 28 Sep 2016, 17:08, edited 2 times in total.

Pelo

DVD and Gnome-Mplayer (Version 1.0.8)

#10 Post by Pelo »

Gnome-MPlayer reads my DVD without trouble
specific topic here
Don't hesitate to run Puppy Precise, if you buy DVDs after he European Football Cup in France (June 2016) :)
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 28 Sep 2016, 17:08, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

why an user would need to change the kernel ?

#11 Post by Pelo »

If a kernel makes Puppy OS and apps fit to your computer, why do you need to change it ? 3.17.7 is perfect. Or Older !
Something i don't understand.. This kernel was the choice for Slaxen, Toutou Linux just released may 2016.
I suppose that if you can replace by a newer kernel, you can replace by an older 3.9.11 (with less useless libs)
OR to fit wireless outside with a known driver RTL8192CU, kernel 3.17.7 does not appear in the list, 3.9.11 one, older, has a Driver provided by Puppy Forum, and will allow you to go further in the countryside, if you buy a dongle CSL. Or simply go here and there around or inside your house, with your laptop.

Browser : version 26.3.1 (Palemoon Fr) allows me to edit my videos with YOU TUBE tools. Installed to day >>> ftp://download.tuxfamily.org/toutou/6xx/plus/
Change by http is ftp does not work. 23MBs , 70 unpacked on disk
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 08 Oct 2016, 02:57, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

Linux obprecisepc 3.9.11 ; palemoon in menu not active

#12 Post by Pelo »

palemoon : icon works in wbar, not in the menu. How do you repair menu ?
OB precise is not the only Puppy with this error. It could be openbox menu bug. Slaxen 6.3.2 has the same (OB desktop and Palemoon too)
Linux obprecisepc 3.9.11 #1 SMP Sat Jul 27 19:40:54 GMT-8 2013 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
Other applications added by me can be run from menu. Only Palemoon does not launch from there.
Attachments
palemoon.png
Palemoon added by user Pelo
(40.98 KiB) Downloaded 1446 times

mikeslr

Re: Linux obprecisepc 3.9.11 ; palemoon in menu not active

#13 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Pelo:
Pelo wrote:palemoon : icon works in wbar, not in the menu. How do you repair menu ?
Does palemoon start if you Left-click /usr/share/applications/palemoon.desktop?
If so, then edit its desktop file to read:

Categories=X-Internet-browser; -- note the semi-colon at the end.

Openbox is finicky about how the desktop files Exec category is written.

mikesLr

Pelo

bravo, exec palemoon.png in desktop

#14 Post by Pelo »

bravo mikeslr :!: exec palemoon.png in desktop will never launch. Here is the bug. Version comes from french Toutou lInux shop. Esmourguit informed via the forum francophone.

Pelo

Pmusic 4.4.6..

#15 Post by Pelo »

Pmusic 4.4.6.. Hum i will update version Does not read my CD 'Lou Reed Best OF'
Attachments
Pochette.jpg
No troublr for files.
(77.02 KiB) Downloaded 1298 times

Pelo

OB-Precise 15.01 kernel 3.17.7 PAE : I Like it

#16 Post by Pelo »

I like it. So i make it appear at the top again. Tried Lazpaint with no trouble.
OB Precise is ready for use.NO need to linux it.. :!:
Attachments
cesarhappy.jpg
Veni, vidi, Pupi and Cesar is happy with lazpaint
(24.76 KiB) Downloaded 208 times