booting from CD- cannot find puppy on boot media

Booting, installing, newbie
sgtmattbaker

booting from CD- cannot find puppy on boot media

#1 Post by sgtmattbaker »

I downloaded barebones puppy (the flash drive I have is only 64MB) the latest version. I didn't any of the ISO and copied the image to a CD-RW. I then put the CD in my drive shut down my 5-year old Dell and then rebooted and it loaded the puppy cd and went into the desktop and worked fine. My old Dell cannot boot from a USB flash drive so once I got puppy booted from the CD I chose to install it to Puppy but I made the mistake (was it a mistake?) of installing as a superfloppy. I then took the USB to my new computer which has a Asus P5B Deluxe/Wifi-AP edition motherboard with a Intel P965 Express northbridge and a Intel ICH8R Southbridge. I tried to boot from the USB flash drive but the PC just acted like there was nothing on the flash drive and went straight to Windows. I then put the cd in and I got the error

cannot find puppy on idecd boot media

then some lines of something else then

something then Kernel Panic!

I edited the .sys file that has the PCMDIA line of text in it and changed it from PCMDIA=idecd to PCMDIA=none.

I booted and I got the same everything except instead of idecd boot media it was idehd media. In Windows to get my DVD/CD drives working correctly and allowing them to burn discs I had to go to the device manager to SCSI and RAID controllers, expand it and click on JMicron RAID controller and choose to update the driver. After the driver is upgraded the SCSI and RAID controllers section disappears and Standard Dual Channel IDE Controller shows up under IDE ATA/ATAPI devices. The JMicron RAID controller is a PCI-e to SATAII/IDE controller so I am thinking that since it controls the DVD/CD drives that maybe puppy thinks that the DVD/CD drives are SATA.

Please help I really want to start using puppy! 8)

MU

#2 Post by MU »

Type error:
not:
PCMDIA=idecd
but:
PMEDIA=idecd

But I have no idea, if that might be the issue here.
Mark

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

In the replies to your previous postings, several users have suggested that you copy the four Puppy files from the CD to your hard drive. Have you done this yet? Assuming that your HD is formatted NTFS, the best procedure is to make an extended partition and a 2 GB FAT32 logical volume. It will then be visible to both Windows and Puppy. A good tool for doing this is the Gparted live CD available here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=173828

Once you have Puppy on board your HD, there are two choices for booting it.
1. Calling GRLDR from your XP boot.ini file. If you search the forum, you will find discussions on how to set this up.
2. Booting off a GRUB CD. Report back if you want to try this.

sgtmattbaker

I don't want to do anything to my Windows drive :(

#4 Post by sgtmattbaker »

I really would rather not do anything to my Windows drive. Putting Linux files make me have to completely reinstall Windows. this is really bothering me... argghhh :cry:

kjs

#5 Post by kjs »

Why do you think you have to re-install winDOS if you copy some Linux files on your HDD??? If this would be true you would have to re-install it whenever you save a file under winDOS. While this may be required due to the amount of viruses the Puppy files don't contain any and winDOS just treats them as a file it ignores.

Please note the difference between copying a file and installing!

Juergen
-- in a world without fences and walls who needs Windows and Gates? --
>>> winDOS free since 1998 <<<

sgtmattbaker

I really don't want to partition my Windows drive--

#6 Post by sgtmattbaker »

can I do it with an external HDD? I am partitioning my external hard drive (300gb) for Ubuntu. The first will be 12gb for ubuntu, 2nd is 270mb for swap, 3rd is 15gb for FAT32, and the rest is NTFS. I am having some problem that if I format the FAT32 and NTFS partitions on the external I can boot ubuntu anymore it is really frustrating.
Is there anyway I can "burn" the iso for puppy right to the flash drive??

kjs

#7 Post by kjs »

Run Puppy from CD/DVD and use the universal installer (select USB FLASH). This can be done on any PC if your "target" doesn't have a drive.

All your target PC needs is a BIOS which allows you to boot from the USB FLASH.

Juergen
-- in a world without fences and walls who needs Windows and Gates? --
>>> winDOS free since 1998 <<<