America At War With Itself

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
labbe5

America At War With Itself

#1 Post by labbe5 »

http://www.democracynow.org/2016/10/14/ ... _result_of

There is a new book discussing the decline of democracy within the US.

You must read this to understand the US, the dynamics at work.

The book is titled : America at War With Itself.

It matters for countries such as Canada, France, Germany, Japan, since we have ties with US, and we can be affected by these dark social, cultural and political developments in US.

We can say that Trump is a product of his time, and if he takes control of the White House, we have reasons to despair.

Fortunately, Canada is there to welcome US citizens after the November election, if they feel their country has embraced the far right agenda.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

America At War With Itself is a normal condition in the US.

democracy within the US is messy.
We like it that way.
That happens when you have free speech and a flow of free ideas.

We tried it for 8 years with the government doing everything for you.
Now it is time for the other side to take over and clean up the mess!!
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

labbe5

#3 Post by labbe5 »

Democracy is a mess everywhere. It's not new. It goes behond that messy thing.

There is another book worth reading :
Disposable Futures
The Seduction of Violence in the Age of Spectacle

Reading such books helps you understand the day to day news, and make sense of them.

Without such knowledge, it is as chaotic as life itself, and you cannot see the bigger picture.

And since most countries have ties with US, we are all concerned with the fate of democracy there, either it gets better or it gets worse.

TyroBGinner

#4 Post by TyroBGinner »

Wow! Labbe replied in contextually specific way. Seems he's not a bot, after all.

By the way, "democracy now" is an America-hating group. And the actual "dark cultural movements" in this nation and elsewhere are the ones that are committed to the destruction of traditional Western thought and modernity. You don't see the likes of "democracy now" criticizing islamism, cop killings, invasions by the third world, and such.

greengeek

#5 Post by greengeek »

What actually is democracy? Does everyone view it the same way?
- If you have "majority rule" it does harm to minorities.
- If you have a strong government choosing what laws to pass they can ignore the people who voted them in (for 3, 4, 5 years depending on system)
- Media can easily sway an election.

- Is a "first past the post" system democracy?
- Is "MMP" voting a better form of democracy?

- Should we even trust people to elect governments? Doesn't greed determine how most people vote?

Is there a way to replace democracy with a "system" that measures each candidate or party against a predetermined formula for success? eg: combining sound financial skills with social justice policies, promoting business, setting law and order priorities.

Sometimes I think democracy is destined to be a failure unless we separate ourselves into little "homelands" where we only live with people who share our views and lifestyles. How can democracy ever work when we try to combine competing and contradictory lifestyles, religions and cultures together in one area?

musher0

#6 Post by musher0 »

Hello people.

The real evil in democracies is that each and everyone of us citizens has too
much personality.

Each of us is only one (1) tiny little ant in the global swarm of things, but we
each have a "superiority complex" and by golly, how power-hungry we are.
We all think we know what's best for everyone and we want to impose it on
others.

(Shucks, moderator Flash has hidden the tongue-in-cheek icon again!)
:twisted:

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

belham2

#7 Post by belham2 »

musher0 wrote:Hello people.

The real evil in democracies is that each and everyone of us citizens has too
much personality.

Each of us is only one (1) tiny little ant in the global swarm of things, but we
each have a "superiority complex" and by golly, how power-hungry we are.
We all think we know what's best for everyone and we want to impose it on
others.

(Shucks, moderator Flash has hidden the tongue-in-cheek icon again!)
:twisted:

BFN.

Musher,

There is one problem: unfortunately, at this point in human history, 'democracies' as they exist nowadays are the best thing going compared to what else is in existence in today's world. Until we humans can get together and form a new type of social-bonding inside nation-states (and nation-states themselves, as they currently exist, just might be the problem of everything), we citizens can philosophize all we want. But philosophy won't change things. Democracies only change from the inside out, not the other way around. We either participate and help move the needle in a new direction, or we drink our beers and look out at the Northern Lights & think how good it is to be alive :)

rokytnji

#8 Post by rokytnji »

Having worked in a Totalitarian work environment.

The USA prison system.

I'll pick democracy over anything presently available.
:wink:

Karl Godt

#9 Post by Karl Godt »

Democracy is always considered an error by the non-ruling part of the population
that either suffer financially, psychologically or physically by the environment
a government creates.

The US-Democracy is very much an "image" archive of the ancient Roman Empire
with current Russia being Cathargo .

And Western-Europe a similar "Ancient Rome" .

Why should history not repeat then ?

What people fear of Trump is unknown to me, especially from OPs that are not native
US-Americans or even US-Americans of like year 1900 and lesser ancestry.

He wants to build a wall to Mexico like Israel build against its neighbours ?

Wondering if that would be visible from space like the Chinese Great Wall .
The wall exists already, probably it would be a better idea to encircle the cities
of >10.000 inhabitans by a wall like in medeval times.

That would create much more jobs on the long run, gives majors the possibility
to shut the doors if thousands of Syrians looking for a weaker body to feast on
appear in sight ..

:lol:
«Give me GUI or Death» -- I give you [[Xx]term[inal]] [[Cc]on[s][ole]] .
Macpup user since 2010 on full installations.
People who want problems with Puppy boot frugal :P

rokytnji

#10 Post by rokytnji »

Mexicans and others laugh at the dumb asses that think walls are the answer.

Our democracy is soooooooooooo bad that everyone running from their country wants to go to disneyland. :lol: Eat at McDonalds and order french fries.

Hell. My personal physician is a Filipino from Manila. Making more money than he would at his home country. Go figure. :wink:

Edit: We have Vietnamese restaurants and one Middle Eastern eatery in my one horse town in the middle of the desert also. To go along with all the Mexican restaurants.

bigpup

#11 Post by bigpup »

There are ground sensors that are and will be installed to detect building of tunnels.
Very easy to install and use. They work very well to detect tunneling. :shock:
The thing is Trump will actually put people on the border to monitor these sensors.
It is hard to watch the border if the border petrol people are 30 miles inland, like most are now.

If you do not like having a wall and ground sensors to control who comes into this country.
Go to the front door of your house, unlock, and open it.
Keep it that way.
YaPI(any iso installer)

greengeek

#12 Post by greengeek »

belham2 wrote:Democracies only change from the inside out, not the other way around. We either participate and help move the needle in a new direction, or ....
"Democracies" don't change much unless you are part of the bell curve majority.

If Trump loses the US elections will his supporters feel that democracy is a good thing? Or will they feel like the country has been taken over by flower wearing pansies?

Maybe in a true democracy the country would be physically divided into areas that support specific candidates. What is the point of each state containing huge numbers of Trump supporters if he loses? Wouldn't it be better to move Trump to somewhere like Texas and say everyone who wants to live under Trumps rule can move to Texas and everyone who wants to live under Clintons rule can move somewhere else?

Democracy is a joke if it leaves people hating their neighbours and gritting their teeth for another few years. Surely we can do better? (and I'm not poking the borax specifically at America - the same problem exists everywhere).

musher0

#13 Post by musher0 »

I'm against greengeek's suggestion not for political reasons, not for
humanitarian reasons, -- but for ecological reasons: mass migrations mean
more gas emissions. :twisted:

Seriously: what happened to good old "Love Thy Neighbor"? You could stay
in the neighborhood and talk about sports, could you not? Music is good too.

Moving has got pretty expensive. In this country, it'll cost you $1,000 to
move grand-ma's old upright piano OR your fridge and stove just three
blocks. If you're poor, you better find a reason to love your neighbor.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

rokytnji

#14 Post by rokytnji »

I wonder.

How a South Carolina native can comment on what goes on, on the Mexican border,
Since they do not live on the Mexican border. Like I do. But then. Maybe you did what I did below and got your take on how things are.

Border patrol does not exist or work 30 miles away.

My life raising my boys in Esperanza Texas on my ranch gives me 1st hand knowledge, that certain statements made in this thread are just "bull pucky". They have motion, sniffing, sound, and ground sensors on the border . But. Not in El Paso where cars are driving over the ground. Making vibrations. The tunnels are hooked from a mexican building . Tunneled under the border. Come up through the floor in empty ware house buildings. Due to NAFTA. One crossing pays the expense of making the tunnel ten fold.

I recently spent a month on my motorcycle camping and living in Mountain Rest South
Carolina. I even conversed with the owners and workers of the local Mexican restaurant
in Orangeburg SC. In Spanish. They were shocked to meet a white guy who would actually talk to them as equals. In their native language.

They had some funny comments on how clueless the locals were in certain things.

Especially on Latinos. And Mexicans. And Mexico.

My proof

http://www.imagebam.com/image/1cedc3493548515

I'm the big fugly dude in the orange. I did find that Southerners there can be very biased there. But they never leave their comfort zone and see the world and learn
new ways of looking at things. Kinda sad really.

rokytnji

#15 Post by rokytnji »

Oh. And as far as The Donald goes. This is how I would view him if he was my neighbor.

Which I thank the cosmos he is not.

Geoffrey

#16 Post by Geoffrey »

Don't worry rokytnji, he'd probably build a wall anyway, and get you to pay for it :lol:
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

rokytnji

#17 Post by rokytnji »

Well, she would like him as a neighbor.

bigpup

#18 Post by bigpup »

How a South Carolina native can comment on what goes on, on the Mexican border,
You seem to think people in South Carolina are all from South Carolina and have never lived anyplace else.

Nothing is 100% perfect and general statements, are just that, what is generally going on.

What is specific to one location on the US border is not the condition at some other location.

What can be done is not necessarily what you make publicly known.

What has happened around the area of Tucson AZ.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... /10113693/
This is not on the border, but is a town several miles inland.
These are checkpoints away from the border.
Anyone found is already in the US by several miles.

Also, I have been stopped by check points on interstate 10.
YaPI(any iso installer)

rokytnji

#19 Post by rokytnji »

Checkpoints are 2nd stage border patrol stations.

Recon teams and others patrol the border on a daily basis right up to Mexico to the point
of being fired on from Mexico.

But driving on I-10. One would not know that.

But I do. Because I raised my boys within walking distance of Mexico out in the country.

The border is big and long. Of course something that big will be porous. No wall is feasible,
nor right wing rhetoric can change that fact.

Me and my boys survived living on the border. I survive to this day. So it makes one wonder how we survived before
If you do not like having a wall and ground sensors to control who comes into this country.
Go to the front door of your house, unlock, and open it.
Keep it that way.
ground sensors and other rhetoric from the internet came to be. I'll give you a hint though. I like dogs. :wink:

belham2

#20 Post by belham2 »

rokytnji wrote:Checkpoints are 2nd stage border patrol stations.

Recon teams and others patrol the border on a daily basis right up to Mexico to the point
of being fired on from Mexico.

But driving on I-10. One would not know that.

But I do. Because I raised my boys within walking distance of Mexico out in the country.

The border is big and long. Of course something that big will be porous. No wall is feasible,
nor right wing rhetoric can change that fact.
:wink:

LOL, rokytnji, yo do know that you are using "logic" and "reason" here, and those things just do not fly. You're smacking up against a recently-ingrained habit of new conservatives in our USA of not seeing the forest for the trees. Hell, they'll even cut off their own nose just to spite their face. You can't use "reason" and "logic" with them when they've become convinced (or, as I like to say, "lathered up") that some thing or some idea is correct, just & right. Hard facts mean nothing to this particular brand of conservative. It's disheartening.

Oh, by the way, before anyone gets any ideas, I am a life-long conservative..a midwest born, bred, open land/frontier kind of conservative. It's just the past 2-3 years I have become embarrassed at watching parts of our party "lather-themselves-up" over the stupidity ofmany things. The present day wall idea, designed to keep people out, is just the latest epitome if idiocy of this crew. That they would even entertain this idea tells me more about the mental slippage of our party than anything I can think of.

I am saddened even more that somehow an insecure, high school rejected charlatan (aka: the jacka## that is Donald Trump) is supposed to be speaking for all of us in the conservative party. For a wide swath, probably more than 50% based on my talks with friends and at parties (being military-associated, most I know are all Republicans, lifelong), this man and these dingalings yelling with him, do not speak for us. Also, their incessant whining does not speak for us. Nor does their constant yelling about "jobs, jobs, jobs...." with no facts as to what he/they would bring this about (hint: they don't, because they have no idea), speak for us. And even beyond embarrassing, is watching this crew parlevu the line of "the election is rigged..." and "..I am not to blame..." of their leader. It is sickening.

We've finally had this conservative party crew, or as a few I know like to call them, the "cancer", an affliction that has lingered within our party for the past decade, finally come out to rear its ugly head. Hopefully, we--the majority in the conservative movement--- will finally purge and chop this crap out & off, once and for all when the conservative party is justifiably and rightly stomped to the ground in defeat on 8 November.

Then we can go back to the party that was able to nominate men like Lincoln, T. Roosevelt, Eisenhower and up to Reagan, and thus find new candidates with similar intellectual rigor and/or team building skills, who also approve of using "logic", "reason" and "common sense" like those aforementioned did. The, with pride, we can put forth one of these candidates as our party's nominee at the next election go-around, and most likely win.

Until then, it's the season of abject embarrassment of the right......