Just curious if it's ok to install 2 USB Wireless Adapters

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
PappyPuppy

Just curious if it's ok to install 2 USB Wireless Adapters

#1 Post by PappyPuppy »

I would assume that the system can understand this - I don't see that it's a problem. I can then choose one, and there would then be one that is a default - saved in a config file somewhere.

It's a Fatdog Linux machine.

PappyPuppy

I will install a 2nd one and see how it goes.

#2 Post by PappyPuppy »

I downloaded the drivers so I need to read the instructions.

s243a

#3 Post by s243a »

Yes. HoweverI think you need to either use advanced iproute2 routing:
http://www.pearltrees.com/s243a/multipl ... id16394208

a routing manager or make sure that you only have one default gateway. I'm not shure what tools Fatdog 64 has for this but there are some pets for other puppies that might be helpfull depending on what you are trying to do. For instance see:
shareinternet.pet
routemaker
PeasyWiFi
Frubee

I use a hard wired connection for a local network at the same time as wireless connection for the internet. It is as simple as

Code: Select all

ifconfig eth0 down
ifgonfig 176.1.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 #fiticitious ip address.
ifconfig eth0 up
I use the standard puppy tools for the wireless network.

PappyPuppy

#4 Post by PappyPuppy »

s243a wrote:Yes. HoweverI think you need to either use advanced iproute2 routing:
http://www.pearltrees.com/s243a/multipl ... id16394208

a routing manager or make sure that you only have one default gateway. I'm not shure what tools Fatdog 64 has for this but there are some pets for other puppies that might be helpfull depending on what you are trying to do. For instance see:
shareinternet.pet
routemaker
PeasyWiFi
Frubee

I use a hard wired connection for a local network at the same time as wireless connection for the internet. It is as simple as

Code: Select all

ifconfig eth0 down
ifgonfig 176.1.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 #fiticitious ip address.
ifconfig eth0 up
I use the standard puppy tools for the wireless network.
I'll have to look at this post and do some of the same as a test. I still use DHCP even though the adapter is almost always set to the same IP address. I sometimes wonder how all the "routing" and IP assignments are taking place. Anyone know of a sort of "model" flow-chart of a typical house with WIFI? That would help me. I've solved my problem with the faulty adapter just by replacing it with a new one, but the new one has an antenna - could even have been an analog problem, who knows?