Slimjet web browser

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
davids45

Latest sfs Tahr & Slacko

#61 Post by davids45 »

G'day slimmers,

Just a thank you for the latest Slimjet sfss.
I've been updating my multiple Frugals with them without problem - the Tahr version for the TahrPups, the Slacko sfs for the Slackos.

So that they all use the same profile (that is, a profile that has my bookmarks etc all together), once the slimjet sfs is loaded the first time and has created a slimjet config directory in /root/.config/, I delete this default profile and replace it with a symlink to my slimjet profile directory on my data partition.

In fact, I've just realised I can create the config symlink first in the Frugal Pup's /root/.config/, say, at the same time as I modify the Frugal Pup's bootmanager to load the appropriate slimjet sfs at its next boot.
On first running slimjet, it does not override or delete any existing profile, which is handy with many Frugal Pups still to add slimjet to.

David S.

Mike Walsh

#62 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Oscar.

Just d/l'ed and installed all three of your current 32-bit versions of 11.0.1.0. All working flawlessly.

Thanks!

Mike. :wink:

esbelugas

NSS library

#63 Post by esbelugas »

Thanks for sharing your work, Oscar! It's difficult to find updated packages for Precise Puppy these days, so I appreciate your efforts. :D

I'm running into a problem getting 11.0.1.0 working on Precise 5.7.1. I installed slimjet-11.0.1.0-precise.sfs into a full hard disk installation. Clicked the menu icon, a few flashes of the hard disk light and... nothing. Running it from the command line, it looks like an outdated NSS library is the cause:

Code: Select all

[29254:29274:0730/112718:FATAL:nss_util.cc(702)] NSS_VersionCheck("3.14.3") failed. NSS >= 3.14.3 is required. Please upgrade to the latest NSS, and if you still get this error, contact your distribution maintainer.
I had libnss3_3.13.1 installed, so I updated to libnss3_3.23 from the Ubuntu Precise repos. The installation all looked good, but now when I run Slimjet I get this instead:

/usr/lib/slimjet/slimjet --user-data-dir=/root/.config/slimjet --disable-setuid-sandbox --disable-namespace-sandbox --disable-infobars: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libnss3.so: undefined symbol: PR_GetEnvSecure
So it's getting past the version check now, but it's still not happy with the NSS library. Perhaps NSS is now *too* new for Slimjet? :? Seamonkey is still working (including HTTPS) so I presume that means NSS is not totally broken.

What NSS versions do other Precise users have? Any other ideas welcome.

Mike Walsh

#64 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, esbelugas.

I think I know what your problem is.
esbelugas wrote: I installed slimjet-11.0.1.0-precise.sfs into a full hard disk installation.
That's it, right there. You're running the one thing that very few Puppy users actually bother with; a FULL install. It's not the recommended Puppy way. There are a few Puppians on the Forums who run full installs, and defend their decision to do so to the death.....but Puppy just wasn't designed to run in that manner.

Basically, SFS packages will not work with a full install, because the sfs-load mechanism cannot 'hook into' a full install's file-system. They're designed to work with the 'frugal' install method, y'see. Many beginner's think, upon reading the word 'frugal', that it must be a 'poor man's' version of Puppy, and that the 'full' install sounds the better option. 'Tis not so..!

However, all is not lost. You can still run SlimJet in a full install of Precise 571 (I run 571 myself, so I know it'll work).....but you'll have to convert it back to a .pet package, which a full install will recognise and work with.

Go to here:-

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 205#867205

...and download peebee's Chromium SFS to PET converter tool. It'll work just as well on any other SFS, 'cos I've used it myself. Follow the instructions carefully, to the letter, and you'll end up with SlimJet 11.0.1.0 as a .pet package. This will definitely work; but you'll need to remove the SFS package first.....and I'm not certain how you do that in a full install. Perhaps somebody else will be able to suggest something.

Hope that helps, anyway.

esbelugas

#65 Post by esbelugas »

Thanks Mike. Yes, you can say it - I'm strange. :roll:

I had a recollection of an SFS to PET tool at the back of my mind, so thanks for the reminder. I'll give it a go.

Backing out the SFS installation was - unexpectedly - a piece of cake. When I installed it originally, Puppy Package Manager recognised it as a new application, so it was just a single click to uninstall.

From what I understand, SFS and PETs do similar things on a full hard disk install, but installing a PET will overwrite existing files. Installing an SFS (as opposed to mounting it) will also copy files to the hard disk, but will leave any existing files untouched. So it seems that PETs are more helpful when existing things need updating on a full install. I think.

Of course, the update/overwrite could break existing things, but I know that's one of the issues with a full installation. You can't just go back to where you were by unmounting the SFS.

OK, let's give this another go... :D

davids45

JAVA?

#66 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

Can more recent slimjets run Java? I'm trying to update my browser plugins and earlier in this thread (January?) was a comment that slimjet can't do java scripts.
And if no longer so, where does a java plugin .so file go? It's to /.mozilla/plugins/ in seamonkey & palemoon, but where in slimjet, if at all, of course.
It appears my local newspaper subscription requires I install a missing 'plugin' which seems to be java.

Changing topic slightly, in some (older) Pups, I cannot get slimjet to run from the .desktop file. Sometimes switching to a terminal, and entering 'slimjet' or 'flashpeak-slimjet', after a string of terminal warnings and complaints about the SUID and sandbox, slimjet will open. Closing the terminal closes slimjet which is a bit annoying.
Is there a way to use the terminal process to get slimjet running 'without using the terminal'? A script I could plonk on the desktop? Modify the .desktop text file to run slimjet? I tried some "--no-sandbox" or similar additions to the "Exec= line" but to no avail.

Thanks for any advice.

David S.

Mike Walsh

#67 Post by Mike Walsh »

@davids45:-

David, have a look here:-

http://www.slimjet.com/en/whatisnew.php

If you read through the version history, you'll see that Java was supported up till 10.0.7.0. If you need Java in SlimJet, you'll need to revert to a slightly older version.

Hope that helps! Probably not what you wanted to hear, but blame the Chromium devs for that, not FlashPeak; they can only do so much with the source code they're working with...

OscarTalks

#68 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello David S.,

From the tests that I have done I would say that the Java plugin does not work in recent Slimjets as the plugin is NPAPI and support for that system was ditched at source code level quite some time ago. If someone knows otherwise or has a workaround please feel free to post a reply. Be aware that "javascript" is different from java.

The Java plugin .so file can go in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins (via a symlink) as this path is defined in Puppy via /etc/profile and it is certainly found at that location by mozilla browsers and earlier (NPAPI enabled) Chromium derivatives and others. I don't know of any way to force it to work in Slimjet by linking it to any other location. Personally I find it to be a good idea to have a selection of browsers available so if one fails I can try another.

What older Puppy are you trying to use?
My experimental packages are tested in Precise, 14.0 Slackos and Wheezy and they launch from the menu entry or the .desktop file because the arguments are edited into the launcher/wrapper script. You do usually get some output in terminal but the browser seems to run fine. One peculiarity about Slimjet is that it seems to be hard-coded so that it will not launch if the script is not named "flashpeak-slimjet" so I have to keep the name, edit the contents and have another script named "slimjet" to call "flashpeak-slimjet" so it can be launched from terminal as just "slimjet". With other Chromium derivatives you can name the launcher script as anything.
Oscar in England

slavvo67

#69 Post by slavvo67 »

If you're looking for a Chromium type browser that will install flash, I believe Iron will do that.

davids45

Java version reversion

#70 Post by davids45 »

G'day Oscar Talks & Mike W,

Thanks for your replies.

Java
I have a set of slimjet-10 sfs so I'll try them to see if I can digitally read the newspaper I've subscribed to. I still get the cellulosic version to read at breakfast anyway.

Script to run in terminal without opening a terminal
Oscar, if I read your post correctly (there's got to be a first time for everything and everyone, even me, I hope :lol: ), to run slimjet from a desktop icon, I need a script named 'slimjet' that simply runs a script called 'flashpeak-slimjet' that executes the binary 'flashpeak-slimjet'. I had tried variations of the Exec= and Terminal= in the .desktop file but to no avail.
Is it too much to ask for the text of the scripts you use with terminal-only Pups?

I will make a record of the Pups that I have this problem with - the latest Fluxpup-1.6.1 was the spur to this part of my post.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 268#920268

But there are a few others that wouldn't run slimjet for me except by the awkward-feeling terminal method.

Thanks again both.

David S.

OscarTalks

#71 Post by OscarTalks »

David S.,

I am not familiar with Fluxpup. With so many variants and Puplets out there I can only suggest that you experiment with the options in the wrapper script until you get it to run. It is mostly about what sandboxes you disable. Obviously your glibc must be sufficiently recent, 2.13 or later I reckon.

The main executable is named "slimjet" but it is inside the directory named slimjet (so not in PATH), but this has to be called by the script named "flashpeak-slimjet" otherwise it refuses to start. It also refuses to start if the script is renamed, which is unusual. This script contains the line to execute /path/to/slimjet/slimjet and you can put the main directory anywhere, /usr/lib or /opt or even in /mnt/home to take it out of save-file space. In my uploaded packages I moved the script to /usr/bin so it is in the PATH and added a simple "slimjet" script there as well so that you can call it from terminal and also have Exec=slimjet as the line in the .desktop file. This means that Slimjet launches from menu entry or from the .desktop file dragged onto the ROX pinboard. You don't NEED to open a terminal but it is just that you can if you want to and the launch command can be just "slimjet" rather than needing to be "flashpeak-slimjet" although that will also work. Feel free to look at the examples in my packages, if one of those does not work you may need to tweak things a bit as I indicated, but in fact the script is greatly simplified compared to the original.
https://yadi.sk/d/fd8rBM0WoF9sB
Oscar in England

Mike Walsh

#72 Post by Mike Walsh »

OscarTalks wrote:...but in fact the script is greatly simplified compared to the original.
Mm-hm. Couldn't agree more. 30 some-odd lines as opposed to 200+.....and a lot of that was language modules and locale settings (including Arabic & Far Eastern, which no regular on the Forums could read unless they happened to have studied them, I would think.)

I experimented with a lot of different script variations, but the reason mine look almost identical to Oscar's is because that simply proved to be the most efficient method for making things work in the most pain-free way (despite the fact that security is somewhat compromised by having to disable certain of the sandboxes.)

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Mon 29 Aug 2016, 23:59, edited 2 times in total.

davids45

Seamonkeys fixed

#73 Post by davids45 »

G'day Oscar T. & Mike W.,

Thanks for your help, I've now got/getting my seamonkeys set up with both java and flash plug-ins and can now read the digital edition of my daily paper.
I've put the required flash & java .so. files in a 'plugins' directory on my data partition (sda5) and am going through my Pups sym-linking this directory to the /.mozilla/ directory in each Puppy's /root. All good so far :D .

I'm not sure what to do with Slimjet :? . Some already let me read the paper but when I look in 'Extensions', slimjet keeps saying I don't have any installed? Is there a place to check slimjet's installed plug-ins (if 'plug-ins' are different to 'extensions')?

Sorry for being dense.

David S.

Mike Walsh

#74 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, David. (Well, it is for me.....just!)

Quite simple. Just enter

slimjet;//plugins
into the address bar, and you'll get a list of your plug-ins come up. To see greater detail, click on the '+' sign in the top-right corner. This will generally expose stuff like versions, paths, etc.

s243a

#75 Post by s243a »

I'll have to look into the comments about plugins above. The videos on demoracynow don't seem to play for me on the previous version of slimjet.

I'll try to find time to test the newer version and hopeful (maybe within a month) make the modifications that I noted above.

On another note, while I think the browser is much faster than chrome, however it seems to have problems when large amounts of ram are being used. For instance moving tabs becomes buggy and the browser gets pushed to swap to easily so it can be slow to respond if it is idle for a bit. I thought this was an issue due to it being an sfs version but someone told me that sfs files aren't loaded to ram.....so I don't know.

OscarTalks

#76 Post by OscarTalks »

The videos on that website did play for me in latest Slimjet (11.0.5.0).
I don't know if it makes a difference but Slimjet ships with a slightly older Pepper Flash and I have updated that to latest (which is 22.0.0.209) and I believe some websites refuse to play if the Flash Player version is outdated.

Regarding the other issue,
There is an option in the settings which talks about memory optimisation. To be honest I don't fully understand what it does but you could try experimenting with it to see if you can improve the performance under heavy load.
Oscar in England

davids45

Morning didn't become you

#77 Post by davids45 »

G'dafternoon Mike,

I think you meant to type a colon but came up with a half-measure in your last post for me? :D

I succeeded with:
slimjet://plugins
As Daddy Pig is wont to say, 'I'm a bit of an expert in typos' :oops: so I should be careful not to be seen to be "throwing stones".

Thanks,

David S.

OscarTalks

#78 Post by OscarTalks »

Version 11.0.6.0 released.
This is supposed to have fixed a bug which prevents videos on Twitter from playing.
Not sure if it is working though, I am still seeing error messages, though they are different from before.
To be honest I am finding Vivaldi better in this regard.
https://yadi.sk/d/fd8rBM0WoF9sB
Oscar in England

OscarTalks

#79 Post by OscarTalks »

Slimjet version 11.0.6.0 has been recalled.
The download page has reverted back to 11.0.5.0
Reports have suggested that the fix of Twitter videos broke playback of videos on some other sites including Facebook.
In the brief tests I performed, the Twitter videos still did not appear to work in Puppy anyway, not sure why.
They are working to release 11.0.7.0 as soon as possible (and possibly a version 12 based on a newer Chromium).
In the meantime, users may wish to consider NOT upgrading to 11.0.6.0
Oscar in England

OscarTalks

#80 Post by OscarTalks »

Version 11.0.7.0 is out.
Videos in Twitter still don't appear to play. Nor do streams in Periscope.
These appear fine in Vivaldi and also Iron so not sure why the problem with Slimjet. Shame because I like the browser otherwise. Maybe they have tested the fix in Windows only. Some reports are suggesting a problem with Pepper Flash 23 but that might be Windows related as well because it seems OK in Puppy in my tests.
Oscar in England