PupBSD anyone?

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
s243a

Re: BSD Pup

#41 Post by s243a »

sszindian wrote:@technosaurus

As one can see in the forum, lots of users (some devs) trying to bring old puppy's back to life... I believe this is for lack of better more advanced puppy's... One should be moving forward, not backward... I would love to see a BSD Pup as long as it's from the latest version and keeps progressing! Be glad to test it for you!

>>>---Indian------>
I think people are trying to bring old pups back to life because they have old computers. Something more advanced might take more computing power. Also as a User trying to improve an old pup is a way of helping the puppylinux community when you don't have the skils for cutting edge development.

anikin

#42 Post by anikin »

technosaurus et al,

I'm sorry for the comment I've made earlier in this thread.
With the benefit of back thought, I see this wasn't the right place to vent my frustration.
I will respond to some of the comments and provide further explanation, either by starting a new thread or use another, more relevant one to do that. I had some real life issues, that prevented me from posting this earlier.

Back to the topic.

I have a very vague idea about BSD and am looking forward to learn more about it from this project.

Thank you and my sincerest apologies.

quirkian2new

#43 Post by quirkian2new »

I tested playing with somewhat "picobsd" 8 or 10 yrs ago. I remembered there were no "/proc" directory as in linux.

My impression was that BSD seems to be very very stable, solid and bullet proof.

If there is a BSDPUP, i will immediately download and have it tested. thanks

I think the below wallpaper was taken out from a livecd of BSD? Can't remember exactly.......
Attachments
freesbie.jpg
(51.96 KiB) Downloaded 405 times

bigpup

#44 Post by bigpup »

Try it and let use see what you come up with!

I will help test it!!!

Did you ever consider, not much testing going on, because Puppy releases are getting better, from the start.
Woof_CE is helping to stop a lot of the bad code getting into a release, from the start.

This one may need help or may not :shock: :lol:
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#45 Post by bigpup »

bigpup wrote:Try it and let us see what you come up with!

I will help test it!!!

Did you ever consider, not much testing going on, because Puppy releases are getting better, from the start.
Woof_CE is helping to stop a lot of the bad code getting into a release, from the start.

This one may need help or may not :shock: :lol:
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

raffy

alive

#47 Post by raffy »

Go for it, Techno, that is a good project. I've used FreeBSD in fileservers, and everything is mostly familiar.

And for the readers' info, Puppy Linux is very much alive. For example, am using Tahrpup (updated December 2015) and it can install the latest LibreOffice simply through the scripts.

Perhaps what readers miss is the regular release of new Puppy versions. But as far as am concerned, I can use Tahrpup as long as this laptop lives (AMD E350).

In comparison, XP users have been at it since 2001, and so Puppy released in 2015 can expect to last up to 2030.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

01micko

#48 Post by 01micko »

I'm in.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

stemsee

#49 Post by stemsee »

I love the reductionist ideas!

Re-writing puppy scripts from scratch with the benefit of hindsight will surely make for a more solid and better integrated system which would be easier to develop on.

Not sure how I could help, but I offer my support nonetheless.

Puppus Dogfellow

#50 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

Keef wrote:
... a bastard love child of tiny core and woof raised in a commune of puppy fans.
This Tiny-Woof-tard needs to exist even if I never use it.

But I would certainly give it a go.
sounds awesome. or at the very least, extremely promising.

futwerk

#51 Post by futwerk »

something for the background
Attachments
pupbsd3.jpg
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/x4v77bi1p58ox/puppy2013
(42.79 KiB) Downloaded 709 times
pupbsd2.jpg
(46.67 KiB) Downloaded 697 times
pupbsd.jpg
(36.56 KiB) Downloaded 709 times

technosaurus

#52 Post by technosaurus »

Thanks for the support guys. I'm in the process of moving to the Houston TX area (Pearland) and my free time has been diverted to moving related crap like unpacking and job hunting, so this is on the back burner for a couple weeks. Look for a new project on my github project page. In the meantime, if someone could review my jwm patches for nanosvg and stb-image, I could jump right into it.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

TeX Dog

#53 Post by TeX Dog »

WELCOME TO TEXAS... :D

Too bad I'm 300 miles away :wink:

foxpup

#54 Post by foxpup »

foxpup wrote:I follow this thread since a few days now. I find it very exciting.
I also read a thread from Technosaurus: "pupBSD anyone?". I mentionned it before on this thread.

On both threads one finds very experienced people looking for a new challenge and both threads have a lot of points in common. I just take some quotes from the other thread:
technosaurus wrote:Since I am starting from a clean slate with no GPLed puppy code, I can avoid these assumptions so that it will work with a wide range of distributions.
I'm already writing this anyhow because I personally want to be able to use other linux distros in addition to freeBSD and netBSD and still have a basic puppy-like desktop.
mikeslr wrote:Create One Puppy at the cutting edge.
in the end an operating system --any operating system-- is simply a platform from which to run applications.
technosaurus wrote: I think that woof is a totally unnecessary step. My goal is to have a basic starting point from which you can just download any distro's packages ... a bastard love child of tiny core and woof raised in a commune of puppy fans. When you have tweaked it to fit your taste and/or specific hardware, you can export it to a squashfs, initrd, ISO, tarball, or even (preferably) a single metapackage
If you put this next to the recepee of greengeek (p36) and the messages of wanderer (p36 and p37) ... well see for yourself.

There is a point that is different though: cutting edge or retro.
I can not judge which would be best. Can anyone?
Is it a choice between "EVERY piece of hardware" or " ANY distro's packages "? Do we have to choose?

@ttuuxxx
Could it be a common big project?

(Wary is now my main distro, but your VW beetle still appears on my desktop. It's the most beautiful distro I ever had on my PC. Love it.)
@technosaurus

I put this on the "woof-CE needs you" thread.
You should look at the posts of greengeek and wanderer on p36-37 of that thread.
I imagined both project have a lot in common and maybe could combine into a big new community project.
What do you think? Is there something in it?

How is your project getting along?

friTTe

#55 Post by friTTe »

This is actually really interesting, only BSD ive tried is PC BSD (they have changed name but dont remember)

Easy package instalation in it, no need to fiddle around.

I can give an usb stick of this a spin when theres an iso :P

technosaurus

#56 Post by technosaurus »

After several delays FreeBSD 11 is out:
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/relea ... AGES/11.0/
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

friTTe

#57 Post by friTTe »

quick question, wich is the "original" BSD so to speak.
There are alot of them .

If so i think it would be best to build from the ""orignal"
From the ground up-ish