Legacy OS 2.2 LTS Coming

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
john biles

Legacy OS 2.2 LTS Coming

#1 Post by john biles »

I spent 6 months on and off working on what would have become Legacy OS 5.
The more I worked on it the less I wanted to release it, I just didn't have the passion to keep working on it.
I don't know why? When I use the 2 series there's just something magical about it. I just need to work on it and make it better. Work is underway that will lead to the release of Legacy OS 2.2 LTS. Trust me it's not going to be a quick makeover. There's many cool things coming!

WITH 300 TO 500 WEEKLY DOWNLOADS AT SOURCEFORGE THERE'S STILL INTEREST IN THE PROJECT.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

darry1966

#2 Post by darry1966 »

Hi John how is the WPA2 issue going?

cthisbear

#3 Post by cthisbear »

" I spent 6 months on and off working on what would have become
Legacy OS 5. "

I will have to call you playdayz

Mate...quite simply take your sweet time about it.

You have posted many great Puppy derivatives which have been
appreciated by the multi thousand downloads that you have had.

And I mean a lot.

So take your sweet time.
Mr Magic Scripts.

It will be ready when it's ready...

Cheers.....Chris.

mmxii

#4 Post by mmxii »

Any way to add support for more modern hardware? I tried the gamer version of the last and had a kernel panic and wouldn't boot in. I never got past that point. I'd seriously love that because it looks like all I want in a distro. Even from the screenies I can tell how polished it is and want to use it but don't have any PIII or PIV hardware :(

john biles

#5 Post by john biles »

Hello darry1966,
Hi John how is the WPA2 issue going?
The post about WPA2 was to say I've got it working. The Pet you posted will most likely find its way into Legacy OS 2.2 LTS because it's handy but not needed to allow connection to WPA2. The Wlassistant App connects beautifully to WPA2 Encrypted WiFi once the Puppy Wizard has setup the required Driver. John

Hello mmxii,
There are no plans to update the base system to allow Legacy OS to run on later Hardware, Sorry! It's never going to happen. John
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

Puppyt

#6 Post by Puppyt »

Hi John,
a friendly hooroo in support of your goals with Legacy OS 2.2.
A while back I acquired a military-grade lappy (an Opentec Openfire Series 2 416D whatever - basically a re-badged Amrel Rocky RT686 similar to which rokytnji has been working on), with 500MHz P3 Coppermine CPU and max ram 512Mb. Coincidentally, I recently purchased a D-link DWL-630 pcmcia wi-fi similar to your DWL-650, so I follow your experiments with WPA2 with great interest.
Two issues - in total agreement with you regarding your policy to hold the fort on the older range of hardware for Legacy OS. Recently had a new laptop die suddenly on me - motherboard/daughterboard failure on some Toshiba monstrosity, and a product of the false economy of programmed obsolescence. I recall somewheres that Linus Torvalds identified early 2000's era as the historic 'sweet spot' for laptop engineering reliability and functionality, so in synch with your ideals in that regard. Hoping to get this machine working as a media streaming "server" that doubles up as a lite games machine for the kids... have been topping and tailing various pupplets from Tahrpup to Puppy2 era, liking Lucidpup 528 at present for OOTB wifi, but it isn't TahrPup on a more modern laptop. Regret that the 412 series was the most problematic for me on the Opentec.
The second issue is that I returned late to your offering, and have a few suggestions that might have been more appropriate on your other development/feedback threads. I did have problems with the wifi, laptop freezes and D-link LED's stay on if I chose to use the rt61 driver as per more recent Puppies autoselection - overlooked the advice to use ath0 for Puppy2 era setups. Autoconnect on reboot would be nice for Legacy 2.2, if possible?
My only other suggestions are regarding game options - have you considered Minetest (http://www.minetest.net/)? I understand that *some* success can be had with playing it with the specs for my laptop, but encouraged that others have it working successfully in Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 versions, most recently in hardware comparable to, or just pipping, P3-era processing. My kids currently spend an incredible amount of time on Minetest (on a Win7 desktop, alas), very impressive what can be achieved in that OSS environment. Great too that you are keen to have Dosbox onboard in Legacy - can I suggest you look at DBGL? I put it on all the machines intended for kid use, and for the small size/demands of dos games I get great economy out of it.
This was supposed to be a brief note - I'm procrastinating on some very serious study. Regret I won't be able to give any meaningful feedback using Legacy 2.1 on the Opentec testbed until at least November.
Cheers :)

EDIT: Dammit! I forgot we had earlier conversations regarding DBGL :oops: unfortunately I couldn't get it working using your pet/tarball for an earlier version of Legacy.
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

Pelo

sure there is interest in the project !

#7 Post by Pelo »

sure there is interest in the project ! Legacy OS should be worth an OSCAR, or a golden Medal if a Puppy festival would exist :!:
I no longer burn CDs, exepted for OS to keep ad vitam aeternam, Teenpup and Legacy OS are burnt !