Printing problems in Tahr puppy 6.0.5

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
geosimonis

#1 Post by geosimonis »

I love Tahr puppy and have used it for quite a while. Only problem is printing. I cannot get to "localhost 631" so I cannot set up my printer. Why is it always so difficult to set up wireless printing in Puppy? On Ubuntu and Linux Lite, the printer is immediately recognized and print set up is effortless...(even my Chromebook was easier to print from) Puppy has never made it easy. My printer is an HP 3510, and I'm on Tahr pup 6.0.5, but the problem recurs when I go back to 6.0.2. There seems to be no way to get a printer working! HELP!! My computer is a Fujitsu Lifebook T1010, if that helps...

rcrsn51

Re: Printing problems in Tahr puppy 6.0.5

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

geosimonis wrote:I cannot get to "localhost 631" so I cannot set up my printer.
I just did a fresh install of Tahrpup 605. I went to localhost:631 using the default browser with no problems. I could also get there through the CUPS wizard. I installed a network printer with no problems. I then installed an HP Deskjet USB printer with no problems.

Be aware that the correct URL is "localhost:631" with a colon.

Have you changed browsers? Have you installed any additional packages that may have broken Puppy ownership/permissions? Are you running the firewall?

rcrsn51

Re: Printing problems in Tahr puppy 6.0.5

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

geosimonis wrote:There seems to be no way to get a printer working! HELP!!.
Waiting for a reply.

geosimonis

#4 Post by geosimonis »

Sorry bout that. No, I STILL cannot get theprinter working. In fact, I cannot get the Cups page to come up as it should when you try to install printer. I am trying to reinstall Tahr, thinking that the original install CD may have been flawed. Have not completed that step yet, but will keep you posted.

duckguy

Canon MG7520 Not Printing

#5 Post by duckguy »

EDIT:
I rebooted, and now am able to print, for the time being.
The "CUPS+Gutenprint v 5.2.10-pre2 (en)" seems to be
the correct driver for the Canon MG7520 printer.

This post won't be deleted for future reference,
in hopes that it may help another user in a similar situation. :)

============================================

Hi, Adding this screen shot, I have a Canon MG7520, which has scanning, printing sharing, and
network capabilities. I don't see any sd card slots on this printer. In any case, Tahrpup doesn't
seem to want to cooperate with it.

I am wondering if I'm doing something wrong. The print que seems to think that I'm printing successfully.

I have installed service_pack-6.0.3_TO_6.0.5_tahr.pet, and my OS seems to be updated.

Thanks in advance, Duckguy :?
Attachments
2016-03-25-CanonPrinterFailure.png
Screenshot showing driver options. Even though "MG7500" series isn't included, you will note all the actual drivers are the same - "CUPS+Gutenprint v 5.2.10-pre2 (en)."
(246.39 KiB) Downloaded 432 times
2016-03-25-Canon-MG7520-PrintFailure.png
I added the printer as an "8200" series, since it seemed to share the same driver as several other similar groups.
(202.73 KiB) Downloaded 457 times

ndujoe1

#6 Post by ndujoe1 »

it is not a perfect solution but it works for me.

I set up my wireless printer as GooglePrint device.

I print all my doucments to pdf form and have created a Googleprint directory to which have a tab in the Google Chrome and print wirelessly from there Easliy. Bypassing Cups and any printer setup.

geosimonis

#7 Post by geosimonis »

Ok, I can now pull up the CUPS page, but still no printing. When I try to add the printer as a wireless, it is not found. After it is found as a USB printer, I go to the list of printers, choose HP, and there is no listing for DeskJet 3510 or 3511. The 2500 series does not work, the 3800 series does not work. Here's the thing: When I test Linux Lite, 2.8, the printer is IMMEDIATELY up and ready to go, NO PROBLEMS!!! I love Puppy, and have been using and recommending it for YEARS. But the printing problems just drive me up a wall!! I don't need some snipey replies, I just need solutions. I'm not a techie, but I CAN follow most tech instructions. I want to stay with Puppy, but the printing problems are pushing me away. Linux Lite and Zorin and even UBUNTU seem more print friendly. If you can't print from an OS, why would you stay?

geosimonis

printing

#8 Post by geosimonis »

No print? Adios puppy!!

rcrsn51

#9 Post by rcrsn51 »

The post at the top of this section is titled How to Install your Printer/Scanner in Puppy. It explains how most printers will require you to install a driver package, because the built-in Gutenprint driver may not match your model. In your case, you want hplip_print. If you read through the article, you will find a download link for this driver.

geosimonis

#10 Post by geosimonis »

I have installed hp lip file, but that didn't help either. The fact is that Puppy has one big flaw, recognizing printers. I got an HP printer because they were easily recognized by Puppy...NOT...I guess it's time to move on. No help here...

James186282

#11 Post by James186282 »

rcrsn51 wrote:The post at the top of this section is titled How to Install your Printer/Scanner in Puppy. It explains how most printers will require you to install a driver package, because the built-in Gutenprint driver may not match your model. In your case, you want hplip_print. If you read through the article, you will find a download link for this driver.
I've got hplip-3.16.7
I'm using puppy Tahr 6.05 (64 Bit) and had trouble downloading the HP print package in the noob thread (I think the host no longer hosts the file for HP) anyhow - I have hplip but nowhere can I find the libnetsnmp-dev package. There are ubuntu apt-get suggestions but... That have never worked for me.

The Printer type is the HP Officejet Pro 8610 which is newish. I'm resetting up a machine after having goomed up my system and I'm taking more careful notes this time (And useable backups) I backup all the data but the way the machine is set up has become quite a project to get it the way I want. Any help greatly appreciated.
Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer.
Art is everything else we do.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]

Semme

#12 Post by Semme »

Pet? Deb? Where'd you get this from James? >> I've got hplip-3.16.7(?)

Hang in there James, I've put out a feeler for the pkg you need..
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

watchdog

#13 Post by watchdog »

Last edited by watchdog on Sat 10 Sep 2016, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.

Semme

#14 Post by Semme »

Thanks Mate!

Yes James, that's the pkg you need..
rcrsn51 wrote:Update: I have built a 64bit version of HPLIP specifically for Tahrpup64. This is a combo print/scan package.

438d92200c77f8c86869693de3774108 hplip_print_scan_64bit-3.15.9.pet
Don't sweat the original md5. This files name is different, but confirmed to work.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

James186282

#15 Post by James186282 »

watchdog wrote:hplip_print_scan_64bit-3.15.9.pet:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9iMb4 ... sp=sharing
Thank you so much. There are a lot of different distros for linux and putting aside that Puppy works fast on machines that are "junk" and the ease with which it just runs there is... This great group of people who are helping figure out the obscure questions. Worth their weight in gold.

You guys are the best!

- J
Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer.
Art is everything else we do.
[i]Donald Knuth [/i]

watchdog

#16 Post by watchdog »

I have found it. Hplip_print_scan_tahr64-3.15.9.pet:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9iMb4 ... sp=sharing

Code: Select all

# md5sum hplip_print_scan_tahr64-3.15.9.pet
e0936e8883891fe0f2acf1cd67c95ff0  hplip_print_scan_tahr64-3.15.9.pet

Illutorium

Here it's a updated anyway. - HPlipLite 3.16.9 for Tahr PAE

#17 Post by Illutorium »

URL:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-xgN ... 0ZYTERyc0E

Command for Compile:

./configure --with-hpppddir=/usr/share/ppd/HP --prefix=/usr --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu --enable-lite-build --enable-cups-drv-install --enable-hpcups-install --disable-foomatic-drv-install --disable-foomatic-ppd-install --disable-hpijs-install --disable-cups-ppd-install --disable-doc-build --disable-qt4 --disable-qt5 --disable-libusb01_build --disable-udev_sysfs_rules --disable-policykit --enable-dbus-build --enable-scan-build --disable-network-build
Differences:

1. Lited Version,when I tried at compile at .drv as a "murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58421" without PPD's but I can't :/ [Because even at Static it's can be creates at any PPD's... - when can be works at Newest printers without PPD's anyway... When I tested on to "HP Photosmart 7260" and prints in OOTB.]
2. No Network Supported. (No Net SNMP depended,CUPS commands only.)
3. Command Segmented for Easy build.

ndujoe1

#18 Post by ndujoe1 »

just my way of doing things.

I bypassed the Cups entirely.

I set up my HP printer wirelessly and use Google Web print.

HP also has a web app on the printer : Scan to email. I set it up to scan documents to my email and use it for that function.