pAVrecord Video/webcam recorder (mpeg4, Theora, x264)

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
Pelo

mcewanw you should do a tutorial video

#101 Post by Pelo »

mcewanw you should do a tutorial video to show how-to-do, with pAVrecord of course :!:

Robert123

Re: mcewanw you should do a tutorial video

#102 Post by Robert123 »

Pelo wrote:mcewanw you should do a tutorial video to show how-to-do, with pAVrecord of course :!:

Or you could have politely asked:
Mcewanw would you mind doing a tutorial video to show how-to-do, with PAVrecord of course please.
Devuan Linux, Stardust 013 (4.31) updated [url]https://archive.org/details/Stardustpup013glibc2.10[/url]
s57(2018)barebone[url]https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppy-linux-minimal-builds/files/s57%282018%29barebones.iso/download[/url]

Pelo

Robert123, you have been working together a long time

#103 Post by Pelo »

robert123, we have been working together a long time, Mcewanw and me, we know how to welcome each other. Isn'it Mcewanw ?
Version 9.0.6 is ok for you, robert123, or is there anything to improve ?
Explain it in French, here,... if you have some difficulties with English, as me !
Last edited by Pelo on Mon 05 Sep 2016, 06:29, edited 2 times in total.

greengeek

#104 Post by greengeek »

mcewanw wrote:First of all greengeek, I strongly suggest you try one of the addons to pavrecord I uploaded a few post above
Yep - did that. I downloaded the version for older ffmpeg.
Then open config GUI of pavrecord and you simply need to fill in the SCREENCAST details starting with clicking checkbox 'select' (which means select screencast rather than video recording).
This is where I am coming unstuck. I am not seeing a screencast option. Am I in the right config gui?:
Attachments
pav_gui.jpg
(122.6 KiB) Downloaded 174 times

mcewanw

#105 Post by mcewanw »

Hi greengeek,

That's a very old pavrecord. Seems I hadn't added screencast at that point. Simply remove your old /root/.pavrecord directory, then download pavrecord version 9.0.5 dotpet from the first post of this thread, and install it. Then also copy the new X11GRAB.hijack...file addon to /root/.pavrecord and all should be good...

EDIT: Oh, I see it did include screencast - you would have to activate the checkbox x11grab for that to work. However, it is an old pavrecord version - I doubt the new X11GRAB.hijack file will work with it since I don't think I had put in the extra code for addons at that stage. Please instead install version 9.0.5, which should be much better (especially with that addon).

William
github mcewanw

Pelo

thousands of people using editing tools like pAVrecord

#106 Post by Pelo »

About ScreenCast tools, excepted SSR, but only for Puppies Precise and later, people need tool easy to use. Lot of hand made apps exist, but one thing is not to forget, most of people don't speak english. Furthermore Linux or photography technical terms.
English speaking devs must be aware that behind s-kami, Nilson morales, MU there are thousands of people using Puppy and editing tools like pAVrecord. . It's nice. But devs must take that in account. A visual tool will be always better. And no need to translate the GUIs.
Attachments
Choice.jpg
You Tube Promote pAVrecord
(62.22 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
Last edited by Pelo on Tue 06 Sep 2016, 01:43, edited 1 time in total.

mcewanw

#107 Post by mcewanw »

pAVrecord continues to work fine (particularly with the new X11GRAB.hijack plugins I've uploaded - good for older Puppies also with older ffmpeg) albeit it has the limitation you cannot select capture area with mouse. For that and same excellent quality and lots of flexibility (records audio alone, or video or screencast) remember to try weX, which is very full featured plus integrates well with many other puppy audio/video processing tools:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107905

As for the simplest screencast app going, which uses much the same basic ffmpeg commandline as weX (so equally good quality), which I recommended to its author, try this yad script by smokey01 - nothing to learn about it - just press record button to start, stop button to end. You really don't need QT and SSR for screencast in Puppy... :-)

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 954#912954

But also see the multipurpose app called 'weav', which offers more simple, flexible but powerful screencast and general AV processing power in its simple interface than you may imagine. It is also a good learning tool (and my personal favourite creation). It works well with weX (which has a button to call it up). Download for weav same post as for weX.

Actually, I'd like to see/make a tiny Puppy-like Audio/Video distribution with tools like these at the centre. And like Slitaz using a modern html5-capable browser to handle multimedia playback (in Slitaz, they use neither VLC nor Mplayer, simply Midori and a home-brewed webkit app, which Slitaz uses as video player - very clever and resource friendly. Maybe we don't really NEED tiny OS distributions any more? But I love them.

William
github mcewanw

greengeek

#108 Post by greengeek »

mcewanw wrote:Hi greengeek,

That's a very old pavrecord. Seems I hadn't added screencast at that point. Simply remove your old /root/.pavrecord directory, then download pavrecord version 9.0.5 dotpet from the first post of this thread, and install it. Then also copy the new X11GRAB.hijack...file addon to /root/.pavrecord and all should be good...
Thanks - just downloaded the newer pavrecord and it is handy to be able to select the screencast option with a checkbox now.

Also tried the hijack file (older version) but it did not seem to change the quality of the recording. Pretty sure I followed your instructions correctly. At this stage it appears that the new pavrecord creates a larger file than SSR and has lower image quality. Trouble is a quick test is not really comparing apples with apples. I plan to do some more indepth testing and will report back if I can get some meaningful results to post.
cheers

(ps this is a Slacko 5.6 personal derivative so my results may not correlate with other puppy's results)

mcewanw

#109 Post by mcewanw »

Are you certain you have renamed the X11GRAB.hijack file? You had to copy it into /root/.pavrecord folder and remove the .olderffmpeg.tar part of the extension. It sounds like it is not being seen by the main pavrecord program - if it was, quality would be same as SSR since same ffmpeg command would be being used. Otherwise, I can only imagine the ffmpeg you have doesn't accept all the quality options, so you'd need newer ffmpeg. I presume you are using Slacko 5.6? I'll try downloading that myself later if you continue to get inferior results.

William

EDIT: Okay, I note you are using SLacko 5.6. I'll give it a try if you are sure the X11GRAB.hijack file was put in correct folder (without it, results would be poor and larger file).
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#110 Post by mcewanw »

I'll download Slacko 5.6 shortly greengeek. Don't know where to get an SSR dotpet for it though - maybe you could let me know? I'm sorry, I got a bit mixed up anyway - thought we were discussing weX compared to SSR, not pAVrecord, so not sure what pAVrecord results really likely to be especially if using older ffmpeg. SSR almost certainly comes with newer ffmpeg libs as part of the package so comparison is indeed like oranges to apples unless you install newer ffmpeg for pAVrecord to use (and in that case why not use the more advanced weX program anyway?...).

I know you don't want to have to upgrade the Slacko 5.6 supplied ffmpeg, but when you think about it, you are upgrading in the sense of installing SSR... You could instead try installing newer ffmpeg instead of new SSR along with most recent pAVrecord (or better, probably, weX).

It would be more useful for me if you could also let me know what your computer specs are (processor type and speed and RAM) since of course that effects results a lot. If SSR file is smaller could simply be that you are using a lower frame rate with SSR or it is dropping lots of frames in order to keep up. Try also reducing pAVrecord frame rate before recording, if not already low (say 10 fps). Most likely you just need to upgrade to recent ffmpeg since how can an old ffmpeg possibly compare with newer ffmpeg libs?

Anyway, let me know if you find out more. I'll make my own tests on my own machine using default Slacko 5.6 though there is probably a limit to what is worth testing (would like try SSR on Slacko 5.6 too of course to see if there is major difference on my machine prior to any ffmpeg tuning for pAVrecord).

EDIT: Whatever the end results, I'm very happy to get your report though greengeek. There is a limit to what I can test myself and its good to know what results are likely on perhaps older hardware with older ffmpeg. Thanks!

William
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#111 Post by mcewanw »

Don't know about pAVrecord with new X11GRAB.hijack addon on Slacko 5.6 yet greengeek since still to try it.

However, I have what I think will be better and thus better news anyway - new program weX seems to work very well even with that old ffmpeg as long as you don't try and record webcam at same time you are doing screencast (audio stayed in sync with X screen grab at least on my machine, and very good video quality). I'll report back on that in the weX thread soon (I'll link to the post here), explaining exactly how to install weX for your system. Then you can try it and hopefully you will find the results good, like on my system. It may depend on your own computer specs though - what are they?

William

I'll quickly now try pavrecord and see if I can get anything good out of it.
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#112 Post by mcewanw »

Hello again greengeek,

I have now also tried pavrecord 9.0.5 on Slacko 5.6 with the X11GRAB.hijack (removing the dummy .olderffmpeg.tar part of the extension and placing the file in /root/.pavrecord).

To be honest it also worked pretty much perfect for me on my machine and the filesize was pretty much exactly what I would have expected for the selected encoding quality. So either your machine specs must be too low (mine being Intel Core II Duo 2.1GHz cpu with 2GB RAM) or you haven't copied/renamed X11GRAB.hijack file correctly. (EDIT: Since you said SSR worked for you, I imagine your machine specs must be okay since SSR is also using ffmpeg libs underneath with similar encoding setting so shouldn't be much if any difference really - as long as new X11GRAB.hijack file installed correctly).

One other thing/possibility, when it comes to output quality, is that pavrecord default framerate for scast is set to 10 fps (in its config GUI entry box), which is too slow to follow mouse movements well, so I changed that to 30 fps before recording in my tests). Good thing about pavrecord is that if there is any audio sync with video problem you can adjust that out via the Audio sync offset entry (I didn't need to do that really. In fact, on my computer, audio and video sync was better when I changed Audio sync offset from 0.5 seconds to 0).

William

Anyway, please let me know if you get that sorted out and please let me know your machine specs - if as good as mine, it should be working well.

Now I'll make a post in weX thread explaining in detail how to install weX on older Puppy like Slacko 5.6 and I'll come back to this thread to give a link to that. You really would be better, I think, to install weX anyway - which also can be used as straight audio recorder instead of Precord.

EDIT: So here is the link to the weX thread explaining how to install weX and weav with scrox onto your Slacko 5.6 system greengeek:

weX is a much more flexible screengrab plus Audio and Video recording program. I found it works very well with the installation mods given in following post link as long as you uncheck webcam stream when making screencast (i.e. do not bother trying to embed webcam in your screencast when using older ffmpeg such as provided in Slacko 5.6 - otherwise it worked fine on my machine and with excellent quality. If your machine still struggles a bit, you could try video encoder user2 choice - that user2 radiobutton video encoder selection uses a faster encoding preset with lower (but still good) quality Xgrab video.

Here then is the post link for how to install weX, weav, scrox on Slacko 5.6 (you need all parts for full functionality):

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 081#922081

William

EDIT: Have a look at the screencasts Fred of DebianDog made with weX to see what to expect in terms of quality and also an example of what can happen when the system can't keep up with the streams (with later suggestions by myself how to fix that):

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 042#922042
github mcewanw

Pelo

Use tools provided to get the best of pAVrecord.

#113 Post by Pelo »

Read first how-to described at the top of the topic by mcewanw , you will earn time and get HQ
"It woud be useful for you to read it (conditional form)" Conditional form is not easy for french, Robert 1.2.3
10 frames seconds and mouse movements.
Change 30 frames gets your video 3 times bigger. I am use enough with screen cast.
Use tools provided to get the best of pAVrecord. Most videos i see on Youtube by brasilian Puppy colleages are Full screen. Full screen is seldom a good idea. Because wide angle and you cannot read the text (of the menus for instance) Then your video has to been reduced for the media on which it will be shown.
Choose a rectangle 854x480 when recording, pause, change the zone, restart.
Less pixels to manage, No post-edition, 10 frames second, ... and mouse movements / All that for exact reproduction of what you record, for a cheap MBS size.
I am running Puli, a nice Puppy and i will do a video of it. But wait, it's really a long job for a 2mns video. I will feed back
Heu, people reading these lines, if you are a user of pAVrecord, please subscribe to our forum, francophone forum if its hard for you to explain in English. And post. pAVrecord is included in most puppies. But we lack of feed back. I post information on Puppy Facebook, both american USA (Puppyluvr) and america del sur (Nilson Morales), and Ivanildo Sousa (Puppy Brazil). They are Users with Puppy, but root with screen casting... and music too
Attachments
Forum.jpg
translation :" join the forum pAVrecord"
(11.78 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 07 Sep 2016, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.

greengeek

#114 Post by greengeek »

mcewanw wrote:So either your machine specs must be too low (mine being Intel Core II Duo 2.1GHz cpu with 2GB RAM) or you haven't copied/renamed X11GRAB.hijack file correctly.
Thanks William, I think you are right about the hijack file not having been picked up first time around. The results are now good - with similar results from the pavrecord 9.0.5 and X11GRAB_hijack combo as I am getting from SSR - both in terms of quality and file size. I'm not sure what happened during my first round of testing as I had the X11GRAB file in exactly the same place. Oh well - at least it is all good now.

cheers!

ps, here are comparisons of screenshots taken from screencasts using:
1) the new pavrecord without X11GRAB (lots of image artifacts around letters)
2) The new pavrecord with X11GRAB (good clarity)
3) using SSR (good clarity):
Attachments
pav_original_screenie.jpg
(213.69 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
pav_with_hijack.jpg
(198.53 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
ssr_screenie.jpg
(205.64 KiB) Downloaded 269 times

greengeek

#115 Post by greengeek »

mcewanw wrote:I'll download Slacko 5.6 shortly greengeek. Don't know where to get an SSR dotpet for it though - maybe you could let me know?
The one I use is linked in this post here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 770#916770
(may need the extra libs pet also linked)

mcewanw

#116 Post by mcewanw »

Thanks for that report with the screenshots greengeek. Just for completion, could you kindly let me know the specs of the computer you are using it on (if you haven't already elsewhere in a post to me). In particular, cpu type and speed in GHz and also its RAM in GB.

That would be helpful in assessing which machines it works on.

William
github mcewanw

greengeek

#117 Post by greengeek »

mcewanw wrote:Just for completion, could you kindly let me know the specs of the computer you are using it on ...

Code: Select all

Processor:
2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU
T7250  @ 2.00GHz

Memory:
2032MB (245MB used)

Resolution:
1280x800 pixels
Thats from hardinfo. The PC is a Toshiba M700 (not sure of manufacture date)

mcewanw

#118 Post by mcewanw »

Thanks greengeek.
github mcewanw

Pelo

always use x264 as video encoder

#119 Post by Pelo »

greengeek, i always use x264 as video encoder to avoid such a bad quality. (yr first screenshot)
Slaxen et ses paquets

hamoudoudou

jump to wex and scrot topics by wiak

#120 Post by hamoudoudou »

jump to wex and scrot topics by wiak
C) Copyright 2014+ William McEwan

wex screencast, webcam, audio recorder allez les bleus, cliquer