XenialDog (Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 32-bit)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Belham

#221 Post by Belham »

Hi Fred (or anyone),

Am posting a pic (at the end, please look at first before reading) of my current XenialDog32 i686 desktop, and wanted to ask a few questions (afterwards) to make sure I fully understand what I am doing so that I don't screw anything up in this install:

I installed Xendog to partition sda5 on extended partition sda2 on a 16gb SDHC card. As you can see, I partitioned this extended sda2 partition a lot, with other puppies. The SDHC booting is grub4dos, and I used LXPupXenial32 on primary partition sda1 to install grub4dos. Everything works great, for all different OS installs.

When I installed XenialDog32 to partition 5, I did it via this method (frugal): I had a completely different pup running (Slacko), plopped in the XenialDog32 cd with the iso, plugged in the SDHC card in another slot, and just copied all of the XenialDog32 ISO's contents straight to the partition (notice in the pic that PCManFM tree-search bar says "cdrom" as if my machine thinks the partition is a cdrom (which is the whole point of frugal install, I guess)....anyhow, after doing all that, I then manually entered only one entry in the menu.lst on sda1. It was this:

title XenialDog - casper-boot persistent (in casper-rw file or partition)
uuid a40273ca-ec6c-4016-9b08-deeab517b3be
kernel /casper/vmlinuz boot=casper ignore_uuid cdrom-detect/try-usb=true showmounts union=aufs persistent
initrd /casper/initrd.lz

It (and everything) works great, though I do get a lot of weird messages from XenialDog as it is booting saying no persistent partition is anywhere to be found, yet every change I have ever made to Xenialdog is saved (or at least I think it is) the casper-rw file....or am I mistaken??..plz keep reading.

This casper-rw file is supposed to be 500MB, according to when I run the cursor over it (in it's directory on that partition). Yet, when I look at Conky running on the desktop, of the 1.96GB partition overall, it says---- SAVE: Used: 355M Free: 77.0MiB (for HOME it says - Home: 920MiB/1.90GIB 47%).

My question is twofold:

1) Am I even using the casper-rw file, or is something else happening (given how I set it up)?? Is it really a "SAVE" file elsewhere??? If so, where??

2) If I am using the 'casper-rw' 500MB file (still confused, then, why Conky is showing SAVE as only max 422MiB)...but if I am using the casper-rw file, is it possible for me to 'move' this casper-rw file to one the empty partitions (say sda 8, 9 or 10) by creating a symlink to it while also modifying the grub4dos entry to point at this other partition casper-rw partition location? This would allow me a much bigger casper-rw (or is it a 'save' file, confusion reigns again in my understanding :? ).

Thanks for any help/tips. Sometimes I get really confused if I am truly understanding all this correctly with casper-rw persistence versus just a plain ole' save file. Heck, I am not even sure, lol, which one I am using here.....and I don't want to mess up this xenialdog setup simply because I have everything in it like I perfectly like it. It is quickly becoming one of my top fav 3-4 puppies I want to use.

Image[/img]

fredx181

#222 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Belham
It (and everything) works great, though I do get a lot of weird messages from XenialDog as it is booting saying no persistent partition is anywhere to be found, yet every change I have ever made to Xenialdog is saved (or at least I think it is) the casper-rw file....or am I mistaken??..plz keep reading.
Yes, I've seen the messages, it's (as I see) more like info 'searching for casper-rw' (or any other supported save file/partition) on any partition (you have multiple), harmless in my opinion, which brings me to your other question:
but if I am using the casper-rw file, is it possible for me to 'move' this casper-rw file to one the empty partitions (say sda 8, 9 or 10) by creating a symlink to it while also modifying the grub4dos entry to point at this other partition casper-rw partition location?
Yes, just move it to another partition (better do it from another distro or from Xenialdog without 'persistent' parameter) casper-rw doesn't have to be on the same partition as 'casper' folder, it will be detected if it's on the root of any partition.

About the size, I didn't notice that, as I mostly use porteus-boot to savefolder.
Indeed strange, for me it's the same, having a 2GB casper-rw file, showing total size 1.9GB, I think conky is right showing around the same size as the space in /cow (where casper-rw is mounted) , not sure, but it might be that pcmanfm handles sizes different than for example du or 'df -h' (see df -h output /cow)

It's clear to me that a casper-rw file is used for saving in your case, as you don't have a casper-rw labeled partition (as far as I see from your pic).
notice in the pic that PCManFM tree-search bar says "cdrom" as if my machine thinks the partition is a cdrom
That's how it's handled by Ubuntu, mountpoint for the 'home' partition/drive is /cdrom, no matter if it's cdrom optical drive or USB.

Thanks for testing, there are not really much reports so far from how well it works or not, can you get wireless working?

Fred

Belham

#223 Post by Belham »

Thanks for replying, Fred. Will move the casper-rw to one of the partitions and see how it goes (I'll make sure and back it up first in case I mess something up :) )

fredx181 wrote:
Thanks for testing, there are not really much reports so far from how well it works or not, can you get wireless working?

Fred

A few moments ago, I (for the first time, upon seeing your post--had been using LAN all along on other machines) gave Xenialdog the ultimate wireless test. Why is it ultimate?? Well, the test occurs on a 6 year HP Mini laptop that requires the notorious b43 driver. This HP is a mother of a PITA to get wireless working for many pup & pup-related distros. I can't tell you the number of times I've tried various puppy (& related) distros on murga only to watch my machine crunch them up when it comes to wireless access.

To get wireless working on this HP Mini on other pup & pup-related/inspired OSes, I usually finally end up throwing my hands in the air and copying a working b43 wireless driver folder from a working same-bit pup (Tahr64 is sort of the gold-standard for me on 64-bits, not sure what I am going to do for 32-bit here, think I'll use 666philb's or peebee's 32-bit OS as the wireless works on start on theirs). Anyhow, I plugged XenialDog32, and the pic below is what I got after starting Frisbee. Please know I am no expert with Frisbee, so I'll have to play with XenailDog for awhile, until I figure out where to add my wireless ssid/wpa-2 setup manually in the system files and then get it activated on startup when there's no LAN connection.

So , haha, XenialDog joins Fatdog64, Barry's Quirky 8.0, and quite a few others that my HP Mini has smacked down when it comes to wireless access. I honestly sometimes think this HP Mini could refuse wireless access just for the heck of it.....to totally drive me insane...a 'Here's Chucky' demon of a netbook when it comes to wireless :P
Attachments
xendog-converted-to-png.png
(229.98 KiB) Downloaded 426 times

fredx181

#224 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Belham
So , haha, XenialDog joins Fatdog64, Barry's Quirky 8.0, and quite a few others that my HP Mini has smacked down when it comes to wireless access. I honestly sometimes think this HP Mini could refuse wireless access just for the heck of it.....to totally drive me insane...a 'Here's Chucky' demon of a netbook when it comes to wireless Razz
Ah, that's a pity, can you please tell us if you managed to solve it in Xenialdog and how?

Looking at your screenshot I don't think it has to do with a possible shortcoming from frisbee, probably it's because of missing firmware, you are using the 'firmware-all' ISO ?

Fred

Belham

#225 Post by Belham »

fredx181 wrote:Hi Belham
So , haha, XenialDog joins Fatdog64, Barry's Quirky 8.0, and quite a few others that my HP Mini has smacked down when it comes to wireless access. I honestly sometimes think this HP Mini could refuse wireless access just for the heck of it.....to totally drive me insane...a 'Here's Chucky' demon of a netbook when it comes to wireless Razz
Ah, that's a pity, can you please tell us if you managed to solve it in Xenialdog and how?

Looking at your screenshot I don't think it has to do with a possible shortcoming from frisbee, probably it's because of missing firmware, you are using the 'firmware-all' ISO ?

Fred

Hi Fred,

Got the wireless working. It was easy. First off, let me say I honestly cannot remember if I downloaded (from the debiandogs website you made) the basic or the firmware-all xenialdog32 version. I swear it was the "firmware-all" version, as I remember it being about ~290MB in size. I hardly ever download anything that is a "basic" version if there is a full firmware version available. Is there a way to tell which I installed since I no longer have the ISO??

Anyway, the fix to get wireless working on that HP Mini was easy. As I had mentioned, I copied from Peebee's LXPupXenial32 these following /lib/firmware/ folders as they were not present in my XenialDog32 install:

1. b43
2. b43legacy

I then took these folders (on a usb), fired up Xenialdog32, plugged the usb in, copied these two folders over to Xenaildog32's /lib/firmware/.

Then, I rebooted. Upon next startup, clicked on Xenialdog's bottom taskbar network icon, up popped Frisbee 1.2 and wireless was found & working.

I've had to do this process with many other pups & pup-related/inspired distros (especially on 64-bit, for example, like with the previous msg's mention of Barry's Quirky 8.0 and a few others). It seems when people make/compile their puppy, they remember to include the brcm firmware folder in /lib/firmware/, but they never include the "b43" firmware folder nor the "b43legacy" firmware folder. I'm in now way complaining since I don't even know how to put a puppy together like you all do, haha :) . Anyhow, Peebee & phil666 always have included the b43 & b43legacy firmware folders in any pup they've done (32 or 64 bit) that I can remember, so I just grab them from their stuff and copy it over to whatever I'm testing and/or using.

Hope this helps.

fredx181

#226 Post by fredx181 »

Belham wrote:Got the wireless working. It was easy.
Thanks Belham,

Probably you're using the firmware-all version (290MB it is).
I thought that has included all/most? (wireless) firmware, but there seems to be an exception, guess what... :wink: , yes, firmware-b43legacy-installer and firmware-b43-installer
So, glad for you, that what you did works, but for info, the official 'ubuntu' way would be:

Code: Select all

apt-get update # might be required
apt-get install firmware-b43-installer firmware-b43legacy-installer
Fred

Pelo

GTK youtuve viewer works very well in XeniaDog.

#227 Post by Pelo »

User feedback : GTK youtube viewer 3.1.5 works very well in XeniaDog.
Beginners : use youtube tutorials, if you don't speak english, just watching is self explanatory. Developed by Hon Jen Yee (PCMan)
PCMan 1.2.4 developed by Hon Jen Yee (PCMan) ; change Pusspy passengers habits with Rox is not bad.
Some tutorials by videos would be nice (not spoken comment with a background screen, that is not help for foreigners)
Devs (roots) : wireless still working fine at home.
Wex being tested with a Puppy Linux.. XenialDog run on my laptop, waiting for people having no more trouble to install it to post feedback, positive feedback
Attachments
Puli905.jpg
wex installed beside pAVrecord 9.0.5 Puppy Puli (tahrpup)
(58.45 KiB) Downloaded 1240 times
Last edited by Pelo on Tue 06 Sep 2016, 15:51, edited 4 times in total.

mcewanw

weX AV and X11 recorder

#228 Post by mcewanw »

Hi Fred,

I've finally released my new AV plus X11 recorder weX (along with weav and scrox). I developed it in XenialDog, where it works particularly well as it happens (nice also to install mhwaveedit, since it interfaces nicely with that). As I describe in the weX thread, scrox, which is needed for full weX functionality, is a fork of scrot, so can entirely replace scrot whilst providing the extra functionality of X11 screen area selection geometry information.

You can temporarily find debs (along with dotpets) for all of this here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=918785

Hope there are not too many bugs, cos now, with spring beginning here, I'm taking a long, perhaps forever(!), break! :-)

William
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#229 Post by mcewanw »

Hello Fred,

If you find some time I would be grateful if you could check out my wex and weav and scrox debs since it appears I haven't made them correctly, and don't know enough about deb packaging to fix. I used the right-click pcmanfm option "Build.deb" in XenialDog to build them.

I was installing my wex, weav and scrox32 debs onto fresh XenialDog, but were some issues - one seems to be because I'm sharing a /usr/local/share/pixmaps/wex folder with both wex and weav to store icons. I have no idea how to fix that. Also had some kind of ioctl error messages, but wex deb and scrox debs did seem to otherwise install ok onto XenialDog.

I always do have problems getting XenialDog itself working since, as you know, its default frisbee doesn't work on my HP Elitebook. Unfortunately, I have advised people to first try weX on XenialDog since I know it works very well there - but I imagine people who run into wireless problems (and problems with my imperfect deb file creations) will likely find it too difficult to set up if they have no debian experience.

The dotpets seem to install ok on Puppy systems, but weX currently doesn't work so well there - sometimes because of poorer ffmpeg there, or also what may be kernel/webcam driver issues or some other unknown system difference in, for example, XenialPup.

EDIT: Found what is probably the issue and a temporary fix, but hope for something better than this workaround:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 870#918870

William
github mcewanw

fredx181

#230 Post by fredx181 »

William wrote:I've finally released my new AV plus X11 recorder weX (along with weav and scrox). I developed it in XenialDog, where it works particularly well as it happens (nice also to install mhwaveedit, since it interfaces nicely with that). As I describe in the weX thread, scrox, which is needed for full weX functionality, is a fork of scrot, so can entirely replace scrot whilst providing the extra functionality of X11 screen area selection geometry information.

You can temporarily find debs (along with dotpets) for all of this here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=918785
Thanks William,

I'm having a lazy period, will try as soon as I can find the energy.
It's midsummer here, so good time for a little timeout, also thinking about how DebianDog (particularly Jessie) development could go on further in this forum without Toni.
Also, to be honest, I feel (still) very disappointed about the way he left the Puppy Planet so suddenly and "his" reason why (as you know all about it).
Hope there are not too many bugs, cos now, with spring beginning here, I'm taking a long, perhaps forever(!), break! :-)
Hopefully you visit this forum sometimes to say hello or a comment otherwise. :)
Thanks anyway William for all your efforts , testing, valuable ideas, constructive criticism and of course initiating the DebianDog Organization on Github.
I was installing my wex, weav and scrox32 debs onto fresh XenialDog, but were some issues - one seems to be because I'm sharing a /usr/local/share/pixmaps/wex folder with both wex and weav to store icons. I have no idea how to fix that.
That can be solved by adding a "Replaces: ..." line in both control files.
This just means that files in one package are allowed to be replaced by another package, so may share the same /path/to/file

For weav:

Depends: libc6, gtkdialog
Replaces: wex
Description: weav commandline processor
Other way around for wex:

Replaces: weav
Description: weX AV and X11 recorder
All the best,

Fred

mcewanw

#231 Post by mcewanw »

fredx181 wrote: That can be solved by adding a "Replaces: ..." line in both control files.
This just means that files in one package are allowed to be replaced by another package, so may share the same /path/to/file

For weav:

Replaces: wex
Description: weav commandline processor
Other way around for wex:

Replaces: weav
Description: weX AV and X11 recorder
Thanks Fred, that's what I needed to know. Too late at night here to bother fixing but I'll add that to the control files tomorrow and re-upload these debs.

By the way, I understand exactly what you mean about Toni leaving - somehow that was a very depressing incident which also still haunts me. It is indeed the main reason why to a large extent I feel like leaving the forum and making no further contributions to anything for anybody - not helped by the 'passenger' comments of Pelo. Having said that, I don't have a particular problem with Pelo; it is just that his comments/attitude came at a bad time.

It is not that any person is particularly important in any kind of computer-related project development, so Toni deciding to abandon the project was no real disaster, but it was psychologically somehow very disappointing and I hope he realises that one day.

Any project is only as good as its stability and the stability of the team that produces it. A good friendly dedicated team can produce amazing things, despite any shortcomings they may have, but abandoning a project in that way just leaves a bad taste in the mouth - I haven't voiced that before, because I hoped Toni would realise that and simply come back, but he hasn't and his negativity has simply ruined the strong and healthy reputation of some great work on his part and yours.

Trust is an important characteristic when it comes to team work, and that was seriously damaged - and whilst we may not care who if anyone uses the distribution, somehow it feels like we let a lot of people down. I'm afraid that kind of action loses a lot of respect, which is more important than any demonstrations of technical ability or of any pride-enhancing accolades.

Oh well, there is more to life anyway. Maybe you can tell that I am disappointed too and still bothered by it all (such that many of my more recent forum posts have strayed from the technical into irrelevant discussions I'd previously usually tried to avoid having anything to do with - hence, I think it is time for me to at least take a very long break).

But always good talking with you Fred - I enjoy your reliability and helpfulness.

That weX program, for the good and bad of it, was a nightmare to work on (in the lack of enthusiasm and energy mood left inside me following Toni's walkout), so I am glad to be shot of it - really I hardly had the energy/enthusiasm to even package it in the end. I think it works quite well, though maybe I kid myself. However, because of these negative episodes I hardly care one way or the other, to the extent that I wonder why I even bothered trying to write it.

Cheers,

William
github mcewanw

dancytron

#232 Post by dancytron »

Fred and William,

I share your sentiments about Toni leaving. I just don't get what happened all of a sudden.

I may be off base and I am mainly referring to Debian Dog Jessie, but I kind of feel like it is mostly "feature complete" in the sense that it does most if not all of the things it needs to do. The next step would be to try to get more people to use it for different things on different hardware to find and fix as many bugs as possible and get more impressions on what might be improved (if anything).

Anyway, that is just my impression of things.

Dan

backi

#233 Post by backi »

Hey all you guys !
This team here is such a cool gang :)

I do enjoy your skills,your sophisticated work ,your creativity and your kindness !!
Every day i look for your threads ....find it such an intelligent and kind communication .
Hey you guys ....Don` t let me down ......just keep on rocking :D :D :D

Many thanks for all you have done :) :) :)
Respect :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edit:
The next step would be to try to get more people to use it for different things on different hardware to find and fix as many bugs as possible and get more impressions on what might be improved (if anything).
That s right ......the most innovative project here on the Forum.... (in my opinion )

mcewanw

#234 Post by mcewanw »

Hi Fred, backi, anyone interested in XenialDog wireless issues,

In recent XenialDog new installation work, I revisited frisbee and noted that the following two lines in /etc/init.d/frisbee were failing to find my wireless interface name in time (which, on my computer, in XenialDog is wls1 rather than default wlan0), which was not being written into WFACES variable (and out to /etc/frisbee/interfaces) - that's the key value needing found and stored for frisbee GUI not to grey buttons out and thus fail to work.

I consequently found that a simple increase in the sleep value from 5 to 7 results in frisbee working quite well now in my XenialDog32 setup. Only very occasionally, I still have to press Restart Networks button to get wlans refreshing, which is no big deal - otherwise I can say frisbee is now working for me. Note that systems whose wireless interface is known as wlan0 will likely not suffer this problem since I believe /etc/frisbee/interfaces is supplied with wlan0 content by default, though it gets overwritten/blanked - if blanked I think the other relevant storage file /etc/frisbee/interface (singular) keeps its default wlan0 value, so buttons don't get greyed out then (EDIT: see lines 60 to 64, and line 106, of /etc/init.d/frisbee). Anyway, 'fix' for me is to change following sleep 5 (line 38 of /etc/init.d/frisbee) to sleep 7:

sleep 5 # change to sleep 7

WIFACES=$(iwconfig 2>&1 |egrep "^[a-z]"|grep -v "no wireless" |cut -f1 -d" ")
Because of this frisbee issue it proves otherwise actually quite tricky gettting XenialDog32 up and running from scratch on my system (and therefore probably those of many other people). We do of course now also have the slitaz-derived wifi-box debs, which also work well for me. However, I doubt most people discovering XenialDog will notice these debs have been created, even though the second 'fixes' post details them. I suspect many will simply read the first few lines of the first post so I feel the 'wireless' fixes/workarounds should be stated very early there until such time a fixed iso can be produced. wifi-box could be used in any DD I guess.

Of course passenger Pelo isn't interested in any of this, though many people may not be using XenialDog simply because frisbee isn't working out of the box on some systems... He hasn't even reported back on my weX AV recorder/screencast program despite apparently claiming to be the Puppy forum multimedia-program-principal-tester - I'm probably just lucky he hasn't tried it and damned it to eternity as yet... :-)

William
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#235 Post by mcewanw »

Following my comments above, I should add that I also believe it would be good to start organising forum posts to point more to the github and github webpages. New issues/fixes etc could be briefly commented on Puppy forum but with a link to github/webpages for more detail since github becomes a more centralised site than all the various DebianDog forum threads hanging around. Which reminds me, I should now be taking some time to get back into learning how to use github...:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 293#838293

https://github.com/DebianDog

https://debiandog.github.io/doglinux/

William
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#236 Post by mcewanw »

I think one problem we have with the various 'DebianDogs' is that they are near perfect (at least I find them so for my needs). Of course, they are not perfect and do all have some rough edges that need addressed. Unfortunately, the law of diminishing returns applies so it is painful taking time to try and iron out these last few wrinkles.

XenialDog, for example, had a few 'fixes' found for it, but no new iso released as yet, so I hope that will be done - also, a 64bit version would be nice (though I tend to prefer 32bit OS thus far). Having said that, I think too many variants makes maintenance support quite a big burden - I prefer the Ubuntu DDs or Mint-flavours preferable to pure Debians because I find it easier to get more current versions of games for my kids on Ubuntu or Mint. Not a great reason, but some apps seem to release Ubuntu binaries but not pure Debian ones, which is a nuisance.

Also, Roxfiler doesn't work anything like as nicely as the one in FatDog, which has automatically sizing roxfiler windows for example (I've recently discovered) though I still prefer it over pcmanfm for work with symbolic links (otherwise I now use pcmanfm most of the time).

Anyway, 14 September is coming soon, and that will be the start of my long holiday away from computing. I'm just writing a few words to fill in my time-vacuum until then... Main thing is that I hope DebianDog doesn't lose focus by spreading its wings too much - a good distribution needs constant polishing and time given to it (sometimes at the expense of 'new' ideas). But polishing is boring from the development point of view compared to trying out new ideas methinks.

William
github mcewanw

Insomniacno1

How to add this to USB?

#237 Post by Insomniacno1 »

Hi Fred, I'm missing an how-to on adding this to a USB stick from Linux. Could you post that in the first post since not many use DVD-RW drives anymore and some(like me) even try to boot things on Tablets.

I have a USB stick where I use Ted Dog's uefi.zip together with booia32.efi + grub.cfg and it then boots Puppy .iso files from the usb on machines with 32bit UEFI bios. I tried to get DebianDog working on this USB but could never get it booted(how-to also missing in DD thread).

I then tried using Unetbootin to put DD on the USB stick and add the uefi stuff - never worked either.

Then downloaded DebianDog-installer - it will not run unless opened from root thunar and then it can't find the usb stick.

I like to try XenialDog with all firmware, so could you please tell me how to put it on USB?

Or how to use it with the grub.cfg in my setup?

This is the grub.cfg as it is setup to boot slacko and that works all the way to the desktop. Could you modify it to work with XenialDog?

insmod png
background_image /fatdog.png
set timeout=10

menuentry "Start slacko-6.9.6.1-uefi.iso" {
loopback loop0  (hd0,msdos1)/slacko-6.9.6.1-uefi.iso
linux (loop0)/vmlinuz pmedia=usbflash i915.modeset=0
initrd (loop0)/initrd.gz
}

menuentry "---" { true; }
menuentry "Firmware configuration" {
	fwsetup
}
menuentry "Shutdown" {
	halt
}
menuentry "Reboot" {
	reboot
}
BTW where do I get the iso? The links in first post are down.

fredx181

#238 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Insomniacno1
Hi Fred, I'm missing an how-to on adding this to a USB stick from Linux. Could you post that in the first post since not many use DVD-RW drives anymore and some(like me) even try to boot things on Tablets.
I'm not much into grub2, but I think these should work (with some adjustment maybe, e.g. set root=...)

If you copy the content of the ISO to the root of the USB (so casper directory is on root):

For example porteus 'style' boot (Save to folder):

menuentry "XenialDog porteus-boot changes save-on-exit to /casper/" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    linux /casper/vmlinuz from=/ noauto changes=EXIT:/casper
    initrd /casper/initrd1.xz
}
Example casper boot (Ubuntu default) (below example doesn't save changes, add 'persistent' for save, requires existing savefile 'casper-rw' on root of partition):

menuentry "XenialDog casper-boot (nosave)" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    linux /casper/vmlinuz boot=casper config swapon ignore_uuid cdrom-detect/try-usb=true showmounts union=aufs
    initrd /casper/initrd.lz
}
EDIT: Corrected mistakes in above casper-boot example, should be "initrd /casper/initrd.lz" instead of "initrd /casper/initrd1.lz" (and vmlinuz instead vmlinuz1 in both examples)

See more info here:
https://github.com/DebianDog/xenialdog/wiki
BTW where do I get the iso? The links in first post are down
Yes, sorry, thanks for reporting, google-drive doesn't seem to support direct links anymore.
Updated the links, pointing now to Github (direct download), see first post.

Edit: Also updated download links here:
https://debiandog.github.io/doglinux/zz05xenialdog.html

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Sun 09 Oct 2016, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.

backi

#239 Post by backi »

Hi insomniacno1

As far as i remember it is possible to use

Mintpup-Installer from

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=100441
scroll down the first post from saintless and you will find the download link
for the installer .....but not quite sure ....can`t remember exactly .

Pelo

Sorry if i had disturbed your work team

#240 Post by Pelo »

Passenger Pelo here.Sorry if i had disturbed your work team, very busy with wireless and Frisbee.
My message was to underline there are two worlds to separate.
wireless connection is not a no go, most of people use their laptops at home, and if wireless not working, they can use ethernet cable.
Suppose 100.000 persons will load Xenialdog, and 1000 need wireless, Dealing only with wireless get a wrong image of OS performance and get 99.000 other users frustrated, because no place to feed back what is working well , or bad.
I still have XenialDog in a brand new 8GB usb, i postponed to run it,
But don't care of my opinion, if useless, and not in the spirit.
People trying to renew things will always have my sympathy, wathever be the result.
And if it's better that i let you work in peace, i will do it. I just wanted to clarify that destroy a project has never been and will never be my goal.