JL64-704 Slackware-14.2

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Dry Falls

#41 Post by Dry Falls »

Thanks Belham. I should have noted before that the click-to-verify script needs to be located in the same directory or partition as the base file (JL64-700.sfs).

Also, for any system changes, it's generally best to save session and reboot or shutdown-restart. This is because when X is already running, "restartX" doesen't touch those processes which were initiated prior to x. They're still running in memory. Took me a while to figure that one out.

Meanwhile, I uploaded 3_kde-4.14.4-x86_64-700.sfs, which I no longer consider experimental. Here is a pet to provide multisession/multiuser capability with it. This part is experimental. It should only be installed if you run kde, xfce or mate, although there is a disable script in menu|setup.
Attachments
kdmSetup-4.pet
(5.06 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
Last edited by Dry Falls on Tue 16 Aug 2016, 06:39, edited 1 time in total.

Dry Falls

xfce4-kdm

#42 Post by Dry Falls »

this pet changes logout button on xfce4 panel, for use with kdm pet. These pets will be incorporated into the next release. To use xfce logout, save session prior to shutting down or restarting/reboot. Logout from the wbar still works in xfce, but you have to hit control-alt-backspace to complete it. When I find out why, I'll make the necessary changes. Thanks.

edit: and the attached '1_sysdefaults' file (remove the .fake.gz extension and move into /root/Startup) fixes a stupidity I added which prevented logging out to prompt. This is probably important!

removed -- built into new iso
Last edited by Dry Falls on Tue 16 Aug 2016, 06:41, edited 1 time in total.

Dry Falls

Just-Lighthouse64-700.3.iso

#43 Post by Dry Falls »

uploaded Just-Lighthouse64-700.3.iso to JL64-700 directory @ gdrive. Use lhp update or opening post in this thread.

contains

Code: Select all

1_profile.sfs|2375b4132abb632c6718ca566b230956|0|
3_dev-extra.sfs|0c4ea8cca67a66c44bf30590576681e0|33|
5_JL64-700.sfs|86ec458118f2773997d7276a359de723|92|302|
JL64-700.sfs|272f59a29812c6dbd6d24d61c6a4d96b|302|
Xfce-4.12.0-1-x86_64-4.sfs|9aae951338af9b172a9f3478e20a3c6b|31|
gvfs-1.26.3-x86_64-1.sfs|175b1f17d7f284564daf411f5e18e5a3|1|
js185-1.0.0-x86_64-1.sfs|1e70b83587fce0f5157001dc45e947cb|3|
qt-4.8.7-x86_64-4.sfs|51cf29a1338e814b7320128a4125a863|33|
samba-4.4.4-x86_64-3.sfs|24bcbfe2498302caa20467c676da67ff|10|
The base has all the previous pets and deltas incorporated except the kdm pet which is now version 4 located in /opt/pets on 1_profile.sfs.

stemsee

#44 Post by stemsee »

Hi DryFalls

'searchfilesdatabase' isn't working properly. There is no slider to select results. Is this a modified slocate by musher0 btw? I will swap it out with my slocategui.

I tried compiling wpa_supplicant for wifi display (widi) requires WPS AP and P2P, but finding libnl paths is problematic for me. Gslapt does not yield libnl-3-dev. I'm being lazy.

Is this the fixed nathan's wallpaper changer, able to handle spaced names? I might swap it out with desktop-slideshow.

Apart from that, It is running beautifully on my lenovo touch screen laptop.

cheers
stemsee

Dry Falls

#45 Post by Dry Falls »

Musher's and your own locate work fine for me, but you have to build/rebuild the database first. I removed it from ~/startup so you have to make the database manually (or drag the icon back into the startup folder). The slocate binary itself is from Slackware.

libnl-dev and libnl3-dev are nowhere to be found in slackware or salix or even, it seems, fedora. Try downloading the deb from ubuntu and extract it, change /usr/lib to /usr/lib64 (and any other path differences) and 'installdir' or make pet. On the other hand, sometimes gcc asks for dependencies unnecessarily, and it boils down to some obscure package slackware assumes you have so doesn't, so to speak, advertise. But personally, I've always found doing things the hard way easier.

Wallpaper changer is modified for openbox-session and modified again for conky & feh. In fact, the ecology was so complex, I'm not sure I could reproduce it. Mate and Xfce, even lxde probably have the best solution.

Thanks,
df

ps., I usually rename spaced names. But if that ends up breaking something else, make a one-word symlink (don't forget the quotes: ln -s "my file" my_file).

stemsee

#46 Post by stemsee »

Thanks for prompt reply.

I just noticed that clicking on th initrd.xz does not auto edit it. Is there a script in jl64 to do that, if so what is it called so that i can associate it with initrd.

cheers
stemsee

Dry Falls

#47 Post by Dry Falls »

'openinitrd' is on the iso. Needs to be on a writeable linux medium (not vfat or ntfs) next to the initrd.xz. Opens init-tree right there. cd to init-tree and edit away. Repack script is just inside that directory once you're through. init-tree will then disappear in 8 seconds.

edit 08-24: uploaded new iso
  • Just-Lighthouse64-700.lt.iso|2841bee13ca4f8436367498b6c71d0f9|438|
It contains another scrip - 'mkremasterdir' - which goes next to the downloaded iso just like 'openinitrd' and makes a directory ready for remastering a "mariner" like iso with whatever extra sfs files or edits you choose.

Basically, this iso is a bugfixed version of the last.

stemsee

#48 Post by stemsee »

Hi Dry Falls

I am very happy with JL64-700.3 as an excellent alternative to Windows 10 and DpupWheezy.

However adding this from fatdog64 gives touchscreens right click menu and also adds pinch to zoom and two finger scrolling (in correct direction, opposite to touchpad) for browsers. The right click option works by 'selecting' dir or file by dragging a finger on screen over it, or touching object and holding while slightly moving finger in any direction then tap screen with another finger (while still holding prvious finger, er, still). By only touching object and tapping with second finger, a double action is carried out: the object is left clicked and right clicked simultaneously!

I didn't check if xvkbd was already installed before I added it! I will try to make it pop-up-able for openbox. I know how to do it for jwm!

These additions make jl64 completely useful on a keyboard/mouse less touch screen device = tablet or lenovo flex in touchscreen mode with keyboard folded under.
Attachments
xorg.conf.d.tar.gz
unpack in /etc/X11/ adds right-click and pinch-2-zoom and two finger scrolling to touchscreen devices. Taken from FatDog64 by Jamesbond and Kirk.
(434 Bytes) Downloaded 137 times
xvkbd-3.7-x86_64-1.tar.gz
latest and works well.
(71.12 KiB) Downloaded 143 times

stemsee

#49 Post by stemsee »

remasterpup2 gets confused when source is /initrd/mnt/dev_save/lh and destination is the same partition. it is stuck in a loop or is squashing everything on that partition! it seems hundreds of gigs of my files may have been removed, as i cannot find them, might end up in the sfs.

I should have just used simple remaster.

dry falls how do you remaster lh?

Dry Falls

#50 Post by Dry Falls »

Hi Stemsee. Thanks for the above. I'll incorporate into the next release.

remasterpup2 creates or finds and builds from /mnt/home/JL64-livecdbuild (same as /initrd/mnt/dev_save if you have a save file). Unlike previous Lighthouse versions, JL64 symlinks the boot partition to /mnt/home whatever pupmode you're in. Remaster is not unattended, since you have to follow the prompts throughout, starting with the drive or partition used. The 'mkremasterdir' script on the iso merely makes the working directory in /mnt/home from the iso so must be placed next to it (the iso). The directions pop up, so please read them first. Lighthouse remaster by itself (menu|Setup|Remaster...) loads prompts all the way through. They're no good if you don't read them before clicking ok! I can find/make an instruction file and have it load before remaster starts if you like.

stemsee

#51 Post by stemsee »

I think it is essential to give a warning or even hack the script to make it impossible to use the dev_save as destination. I rmember i did this before, but luckily the files were in a directory ... not this time!

I dded xvkbd to the wbar in the top right corner. I actually pointed t to a script called xvkbdconf with these contents.

#!/bin/sh
killall xvkbd
xvkbd -geometry 800x300+550+700 -no-keypad &
For a 1920x1080 display positioned bottom middle.

Dry Falls

#52 Post by Dry Falls »

Here's a new profile sfs which has /opt/pets. xvkbd & xorg.d are combined in xvkbd-3.7-x86_64-1.pet. Also a gtk fix pet for xfce & fusion standalone.

I'll work on that remaster script. Sorry for your loss!
Attachments
1_profile.sfs.fake.gz
(84 KiB) Downloaded 135 times

stemsee

#53 Post by stemsee »

thanx ... no worries! I still have my health!

revised wrapper for xvkbd to keep it on top

#!/bin/sh
killall xvkbd
xvkbd -geometry 800x300+550+700 -no-keypad -always-on-top &

Dry Falls

#54 Post by Dry Falls »

here's a pet with xvkb on all the wbar config files and
an html page on Lighthouse remaster (goes in /usr/share/doc)
Attachments
LighthouseRemaster.html.fake.gz
(5.15 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
xvkb_wbar.pet
(1.43 KiB) Downloaded 130 times

gcmartin

#55 Post by gcmartin »

@StemSee and @Dry Falls, thanks for these EXCELLENT additions.

Testing planned on my "aged" HP Touch Laptop with these additions means that I can rotate the laptop into tablet mode for seminars and presentations.

Puppy Linux has been significantly expanded in this area; Thanks to @TaZoC you guys and @FD7+ developers in the touch area for this PUP distro.

Just makes Puppy SO VERY MODERN!

stemsee

#56 Post by stemsee »

@DryFalls

The html info does not warn against the scenario I encountered!
Also the remaster script does not give an option to use tmpfs.
Although selecting main sfs has CD or DIRECTORY option in fact only the CD option is usable but the iso must be mounted before the script even starts.

I ended up editing the xvkbd.desktop file to exec xvkbdconf, and also use /usr/share/pixmaps/keyboard.png

I then created a top lxpanel with dynamic expansion and added xvkbd.desktop to that as a launcher, which will always be easily available een when apps consume the entire screen.
Attachments
lh.png
(134.39 KiB) Downloaded 391 times

Dry Falls

#57 Post by Dry Falls »

Also the remaster script does not give an option to use tmpfs.
The option is 'ramfs', at the bottom of the list. I just did a remaster from a source directory NOT named 'JL64-livecdbuild' and picked ramfs. twenty sfs addons loaded and it made a 1.4 gig basefile, as was expected. The JL64-livecdbuild directory is placed in the save file (/) so I moved it. Added this proviso to the html file:
Please pay strict attention to the dialog boxes as this script has the capability of eating up your entire hard drive! Should you wish to remaster JL64 using a directory (rather than from cd/dvd) other than '/mnt/home/JL64-livecdbuild' for source files, it must contain the initrd, kernel, basefile and grub or isolinux.cfg file but for a uefi bootable iso, it should also contain the bootloader files (isolinux.bin, efiboot.img, kernel.msg, sfs.msg, poweroff.com). Otherwise, right click on the newly made directory (JL64-livecdbuild --nb you may rename it) and select dir-to-iso to make a legacy bootable iso.

If you choose ramfs rather than the drive, make sure you have enough ram (runs about 1.5 G) or a swap partition. Instead of /mnt/home (or /initrd/mnt/dev_save), the JL64-livecdbuild directory will be at /. Move it out of the save file to limit size.
and fixed the link at the bottom

df
Attachments
LighthouseRemaster.html.fake.gz
(6.04 KiB) Downloaded 97 times

stemsee

#58 Post by stemsee »

here is a shot of the options i see.
Attachments
rm.png
(84.52 KiB) Downloaded 371 times

Dry Falls

#59 Post by Dry Falls »

Thanks Stemsee. I wonder if you had any sfs files loaded. I will run through this again to be sure I didn't leave something important out of the base file. That's usually the culprit. It's pretty obvious you have plenty enough ram installed. Maybe simple remaster is the answer after-all!

Dry Falls

#60 Post by Dry Falls »

Couldn't reproduce the problem. Did you change anything in the initrd? Kernel? Maybe recompile it.
Attachments
screenshot.png
(106.23 KiB) Downloaded 210 times