How to uninstall Chromium SFS? [Solved]

Booting, installing, newbie
solex

How to uninstall Chromium SFS? [Solved]

#1 Post by solex »

I have been trying to un-install chromium as it is unstable on my laptop.

I have issued the command sfs_load - u chromium...

and get the attached error.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Dan
Attachments
Screenshot(1).png
(22.21 KiB) Downloaded 922 times
Last edited by solex on Mon 22 Aug 2016, 11:22, edited 1 time in total.

s243a

#2 Post by s243a »

I'm guessing that you are using the sfs version of chromium in which case:

In the puppylinux menu
Go to setup -> sfs-load-on-the-fly

find the package and select unload.

Otherwise maybe look through your /root/.packages folder and see if you can fine any file with the word chomium in it.

solex

#3 Post by solex »

s243a wrote:I'm guessing that you are using the sfs version of chromium in which case:

In the puppylinux menu
Go to setup -> sfs-load-on-the-fly

find the package and select unload.

Otherwise maybe look through your /root/.packages folder and see if you can fine any file with the word chromium in it.
I did both and the only thing I see is the chromium widevine plugin

8Geee

#4 Post by 8Geee »

The problem with the dot packages files are that they may not survive a remaster unless /tmp/root is updated.(Drag from /root to /tmp/root) I have personally found that "dot" files are a PITA during remaster. The answer is to apparently have more than one shutdown between the usage and the remaster. This factoid is also true with the /etc files (I'm sure this is why the certs files in /etc/ssl failed the first time I tried it)

JMHO
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Solex.

Where exactly is your Chromium package sitting at the moment? I ask, because the usual recommendation is to place SFS packages at /mnt/home (which is the 'root' of your partition, and is where everything else resides) before use, then by simply clicking on them you will get the SFS-install dialog box come up.

If unloaded, it will ask if you wish to load it (and tell you the size of the package); If already loaded, it will ask if you wish to unload. Sometimes, you'll be told that the package can't be unloaded, as files may be in use; if this is the case, the dialog will ask if you wish to add it to the removal queue for the next boot. This method does work, so it's all right to click 'OK' at this point.

You can also, as stated, access the 'sfs load-on-the-fly' dialog by right-clicking, too. SFS packages are never loaded or unloaded via the terminal.....not since the 'on-the-fly' load/unload procedure was developed, several years ago, by shinobar and others.

Hope that helps.

Edit:- It would also help to have some idea of your machine's specs, please; make, model, CPU, RAM, graphics card (if any), etc.

Mike. :wink:

solex

#6 Post by solex »

Mike Walsh wrote:Hi, Solex.

Where exactly is your Chromium package sitting at the moment? I ask, because the usual recommendation is to place SFS packages at /mnt/home (which is the 'root' of your partition, and is where everything else resides) before use, then by simply clicking on them you will get the SFS-install dialog box come up.

If unloaded, it will ask if you wish to load it (and tell you the size of the package); If already loaded, it will ask if you wish to unload. Sometimes, you'll be told that the package can't be unloaded, as files may be in use; if this is the case, the dialog will ask if you wish to add it to the removal queue for the next boot. This method does work, so it's all right to click 'OK' at this point.

You can also, as stated, access the 'sfs load-on-the-fly' dialog by right-clicking, too. SFS packages are never loaded or unloaded via the terminal.....not since the 'on-the-fly' load/unload procedure was developed, several years ago, by shinobar and others.

Hope that helps.

Edit:- It would also help to have some idea of your machine's specs, please; make, model, CPU, RAM, graphics card (if any), etc.

Hi 8Gee & Mike,

I did place the sfs in /mnt/home but every time I click on the file it installs chromium.

I really just want to make sure there is a clean uninstall.

Although chromium shows up in the sfs_load app there is nothing to unload, the app states "Nothing Loaded"

BTW, I have and Lenovo X61 wth 8GB of RAM with an Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 integrated video

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

Is the Puppy you are using a full install?
This indicates it is:
I did place the sfs in /mnt/home but every time I click on the file it installs chromium.
If the Puppy you use is a full install.
Clicking on an sfs file will try to install it, but there is no un-install option.
Your best option is probably to do a manual un-install of Chromium.
Use Pfind to search for Chromium and just manually remove what it finds.
Need to be careful. Some of those files may be used by other browsers

sfs files are designed to be used with Puppy frugal installs.
The program is not installed, but loaded into the file system layers.
If you no longer want it, you simply unload it.

With Puppy full installs.
There is no layered file system being used, so you can not load the sfs file, only try to install it.
It was kind of an added option, to at best, let the sfs file be installed to the full install.
No action was taken to make it possible to un-install the program.
Not a lot of interest in supporting Puppy full installs.
A lot of Puppy features, are not there, when Puppy is a full install.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Mike Walsh

#8 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi again, Solex.

I'll second bigpup on this. Even if you had been using a frugal install, I was still going to suggest you manually remove the files.

From my experience at installing the Chromium-based browsers many times over the years, you will need to go into:-

1) /usr/lib, and delete the /chromium directory. The /chromium-browser directory, too, if it exists.....but I doubt it will. It was formerly used with older versions of Chromium than what you're currently using.

2) /usr/share/applications, and remove the chromium.desktop entry.

3) /usr/bin, and remove the chromium launcher entry.

After that, you'll need to go into your /root directory (click 'Files' on the desktop; that is your root directory.) I assume you're using ROX-filer; from reading some of your other posts, I believe you're using a 32-bit install of Slacko 6.30, yes? Click on the 'eye' icon on the menu bar; this will then show you the 'hidden' directories, which are always prefaced by a dot. ('.') Go into /.cache, and also /.config, and delete anything named Chromium from those two as well.

That should remove any trace of Chromium from your machine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would hazard a guess that you've made the elementary beginner's mistake of thinking that a 'full' install is better than a 'frugal' install (which sounds like a poor man's version of Puppy, TBH). These merely refer to the method of installation; a 'frugal' install works just as well as a 'full' install, but has the benefit of being a lot easier to work with, and recover from, in the remote case of anything going seriously awry with your Pup.

A 'full' install writes its files throughout the partition; a frugal install works with 3 or 4 compressed, 'read-only' files, and the 'save-file/folder', which contains a second complete Linux file-system inside it. The contents of this are over-laid, and 'merged' into the Puppy system files at boot-time; you, the user, are not aware this is happening, as Puppy performs this process very, very quickly......the advantage of this is that you essentially boot into a brand spanking-new, squeaky clean copy of Puppy every time you power up.

As long as you make copies (or 'backups', if you like) of your /mnt/home partition & your save-file/folder, a simple copy/paste operation (after a reformat of your Puppy partition) will have Pup happily gambolling & playing again in next to no time..!

Puppy is the only Linux distro there is which can recover from disaster with a simple copy/paste operation. Try doing that with any other distro, and I can guarantee you'll get nowhere fast..!

Let us know if the steps above have removed Chromium, please. Hope that helps!

solex

#9 Post by solex »

Mike Walsh wrote:Hi again, Solex.

I'll second bigpup on this. Even if you had been using a frugal install, I was still going to suggest you manually remove the files.

From my experience at installing the Chromium-based browsers many times over the years, you will need to go into:-

1) /usr/lib, and delete the /chromium directory. The /chromium-browser directory, too, if it exists.....but I doubt it will. It was formerly used with older versions of Chromium than what you're currently using.

2) /usr/share/applications, and remove the chromium.desktop entry.

3) /usr/bin, and remove the chromium launcher entry.

After that, you'll need to go into your /root directory (click 'Files' on the desktop; that is your root directory.) I assume you're using ROX-filer; from reading some of your other posts, I believe you're using a 32-bit install of Slacko 6.30, yes? Click on the 'eye' icon on the menu bar; this will then show you the 'hidden' directories, which are always prefaced by a dot. ('.') Go into /.cache, and also /.config, and delete anything named Chromium from those two as well.

That should remove any trace of Chromium from your machine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would hazard a guess that you've made the elementary beginner's mistake of thinking that a 'full' install is better than a 'frugal' install (which sounds like a poor man's version of Puppy, TBH). These merely refer to the method of installation; a 'frugal' install works just as well as a 'full' install, but has the benefit of being a lot easier to work with, and recover from, in the remote case of anything going seriously awry with your Pup.

A 'full' install writes its files throughout the partition; a frugal install works with 3 or 4 compressed, 'read-only' files, and the 'save-file/folder', which contains a second complete Linux file-system inside it. The contents of this are over-laid, and 'merged' into the Puppy system files at boot-time; you, the user, are not aware this is happening, as Puppy performs this process very, very quickly......the advantage of this is that you essentially boot into a brand spanking-new, squeaky clean copy of Puppy every time you power up.

As long as you make copies (or 'backups', if you like) of your /mnt/home partition & your save-file/folder, a simple copy/paste operation (after a reformat of your Puppy partition) will have Pup happily gambolling & playing again in next to no time..!

Puppy is the only Linux distro there is which can recover from disaster with a simple copy/paste operation. Try doing that with any other distro, and I can guarantee you'll get nowhere fast..!

Let us know if the steps above have removed Chromium, please. Hope that helps!

Thanks Bigup and Mike,

I did do a full install thinking it would be better, I will do a frugal at the next update. I do exactly as you said Mike when ever I upgrade a simple backup and then a complete install, this is one reason I use puppy...

Thanks again for the responses