What If We Haven’t Found Aliens Because Humans Came First?

For stuff that really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with Puppy
labbe5

What If We Haven’t Found Aliens Because Humans Came First?

#1 Post by labbe5 »

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/what-i ... newsletter

The article asks a question rarely asked. We may, in fact, be alone in the vast universe, but for one reason : we are alone because we are early in the development of life.

In billions of years, other forms of life and civilisations will emerge due to the universe being older and a more nurturing place.

In relative terms, universe is still young, so human life, and life in general, may be a first, here, on earth.

A good read.

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

I like the answer given by the famous cartoonist, Bill Watterson. Not an exact quote, but close --"Perhaps the surest proof of intelligent life is that it hasn't contacted us yet."

For more elaboration on the subject, here's a story arc from his strip, Calvin & Hobbes, where the titular characters go to Mars, for... interesting reasons. Found it on a blog somewhere via Google Images and re-upped at Imgur; the glitch where one line of panels is repeated in Part Three, is not my mistake... I do apologize for perpetuating it, though.

Links are direct-to-image.

Part One
Part Two
Part Three

musher0

#3 Post by musher0 »

starhawk wrote:I like the answer given by the famous cartoonist, Bill Watterson. Not an exact quote, but close --"Perhaps the surest proof of intelligent life is that it hasn't contacted us yet."
(...)
Hi starhawk.

I like this Watterson guy. He makes a lot of sense! :D
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

drunkjedi

#4 Post by drunkjedi »

They stopped printing Calvin & Hobbes in newspaper here, few years back.
I don't know why.
I really liked it.

"We ought to fix our own planet before we go messing around other people's planet".
That's a good one too.

starhawk

#5 Post by starhawk »

@drunkjedi -- Watterson killed it at the end of 1995. He wanted to quit while he was ahead, rather than (IIRC direct quote) "running the wheels off it" -- and he predicted that if he hadn't, both he and readers would have been even more disappointed. I personally think he was spot-on, and, further, that he was perilously close to the edge of "running the wheels off it" -- the strip ran for over nine years... in fact, I'd say it's a testament to Watterson's comedic genius (which I think he definitely has) and creativity, that he didn't run it into the ground before it ended.

Keep in mind, as well, that Watterson's a purist as far as comic strips go... to him a comic strip was a comic strip. There is zero official Calvin&Hobbes merchandise (the obscene stickers you've quite likely seen in various places are actually illegal by way of copyright). There are (AFAIK) no official Calvin&Hobbes animations or cartoon shows (although there have been some unofficial appearances, à la Robot Chicken). It was a comic strip that was JUST a comic strip. (To be entirely fair -- Watterson has stated that the reason there's no Calvin&Hobbes merch is considerably more to do with the fact that the toy companies couldn't come up with anything that didn't suck, than because he was against it personally.)

Bruce B

#6 Post by Bruce B »

starhawk wrote:I like the answer given by the famous cartoonist, Bill Watterson. Not an exact quote, but close --"Perhaps the surest proof of intelligent life is that it hasn't contacted us yet."
That is great. I looked it up on the web and found this, might be the exact quote.

Bill Watterson
“The best proof of extraterrestrial intelligence is that they haven't contacted us.

drunkjedi

#7 Post by drunkjedi »

starhawk wrote:@drunkjedi -- Watterson killed it at the end of 1995. He wanted to quit while he was ahead, rather than (IIRC direct quote) "running the wheels off it" -- and he predicted that if he hadn't, both he and readers would have been even more disappointed. I personally think he was spot-on, and, further, that he was perilously close to the edge of "running the wheels off it" -- the strip ran for over nine years... in fact, I'd say it's a testament to Watterson's comedic genius (which I think he definitely has) and creativity, that he didn't run it into the ground before it ended.

Keep in mind, as well, that Watterson's a purist as far as comic strips go... to him a comic strip was a comic strip. There is zero official Calvin&Hobbes merchandise (the obscene stickers you've quite likely seen in various places are actually illegal by way of copyright). There are (AFAIK) no official Calvin&Hobbes animations or cartoon shows (although there have been some unofficial appearances, à la Robot Chicken). It was a comic strip that was JUST a comic strip. (To be entirely fair -- Watterson has stated that the reason there's no Calvin&Hobbes merch is considerably more to do with the fact that the toy companies couldn't come up with anything that didn't suck, than because he was against it personally.)
An interesting man, I say.
I never looked up the creator of the series.
thanks for the info.

Trobin

#8 Post by Trobin »

drunkjedi wrote:"We ought to fix our own planet before we go messing around other people's planet".
That's a good one too.
Isn't that what we're expecting the Aliens to do?

Personally, I never figured out how anyone could believe that anybeing would fly billions of miles to clean up after us.
[url]http://speakpup.blogspot.com[/url]

bigpup

#9 Post by bigpup »

Aliens are among us.
Just Google "walmartians" :shock:
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

drunkjedi

#10 Post by drunkjedi »

bigpup wrote:Aliens are among us.
Just Google "walmartians" :shock:
Not among us.....
We are the aliens here...

There was a series running on History channel called "Ancient Aliens".

We might be descendants of some aliens....

musher0

#11 Post by musher0 »

Bah. When they saw how we were evolving, they just left!!!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Pete

#12 Post by Pete »

drunkjedi wrote:....

There was a series running on History channel called "Ancient Aliens"....
Ancient Aliens was half believable until this guy came on:

Then I knew it was time to change to the Disney channel.

drunkjedi

#13 Post by drunkjedi »

Pete wrote:Ancient Aliens was half believable until this guy came on:

Then I knew it was time to change to the Disney channel.
Didn't watch it much. But that hairdo looks awesome. [ I am bald, so weird hair is still hair] :wink:
musher0 wrote:Bah. When they saw how we were evolving, they just left!!!
Ha Ha, nice one.

Bruce B

#14 Post by Bruce B »

Reading translation of ancient texts cause me to wonder. The book of Genesis referring to the sons of god finding the daughters of man attractive and mating with them. Older Mesopotamia and Sumerian stories. And a lot of other things.

What I wonder is not only if there were aliens or something inexplicable, but if were are decended from them.

However, the more I try and learn, the more the theories get too far out and contradictory. Leaves me to simply wonder about possibilities.

drunkjedi

#15 Post by drunkjedi »

Yes every Ancient civilization has concept of son of gods....
And we are descendants of them.
I haven't read much yet though.