Under the radar, a Canadian X-Slim Puppy, Manjaro inspired,

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
musher0

Under the radar, a Canadian X-Slim Puppy, Manjaro inspired,

#1 Post by musher0 »

Hello all.

No one having mentioned yet it on the English side of the forum, I'll have to do it! :D

Thanks to our shy, but details-aware and perfectionist colleague mandibule2005,
almost under the radar, a Canadian Xfce-Slim Puppy with desktop design inspired
by the Manjaro distro, has been published here at the beginning of July:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... ost#911331

BFN.

~~~~~~~~~
Worthy of note -- You can Frenchify it using esmourguit's French language pack
at ftp://download.tuxfamily.org/toutou/5xx ... Slacko_6./, but
the default language of this pseudo-Manjaro Puppy is English.
Last edited by musher0 on Sat 13 Aug 2016, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Smithy

#2 Post by Smithy »

Looks really good Musher.
I wish JWM 'ting could look like that with the transparencies on the menu items.
So is the menu Fluxbox? Looks like Openbox.
I heard Cairo is a pretty good taskbar, wonder if it could replace JWM.

That taskbar at the bottom is as usual ,"tiny", almost apologising for being there.
Begone and bring a multifunction bar down there.

Either way, that Pup looks like a good starter template for how official pups "could" look.
Attachments
capture13641.png
(236.27 KiB) Downloaded 461 times

musher0

#3 Post by musher0 »

Thanks, Smithy, for the screen capture of the fluxbox variant.

I hope developer mandibule2005 will be back soon and take over this thread.

As you say, this type of desktop could be a nice trend in Puppy, couldn't it?

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Pelo

X-Slim has the fluxbox window manager,

#4 Post by Pelo »

X-Slim has the fluxbox window manager, appreciated by many Puppy users, enjoyed it in Pupflux 1.6.0, really nice idea, mandibule 2005.
Same screenshot as above, but reduced to appear here
Read forum francophone, to update your software !
Video Spanish fluxbox to watch here.
Attachments
Mandibule.jpg
Merci mandibule 2005.
(198.19 KiB) Downloaded 962 times
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 10 Aug 2016, 00:08, edited 2 times in total.

Pelo

TOopPy made in France by Argolance

#5 Post by Pelo »

Puppy installed beside the TOopPy made in France by Argolance, pour l'amitié franco-quebecquoise.
Mandibule 2005 has just to launch his commercial teams, his sales force.
Musher give him help. I run its Slim Slacko. .PPM is Ubuntu, nice !
Griffith qnd dependencies doznloqded zithout trouble< kyzboqrd fr gqrbledm like in UPUPs :) Clavier a reparer
Now we know how to do to get puppies keep the french keyboard, but puppies should now be released without this bug, French feel like apart for the UK area, a Puppy brexit. However we will help.
Last edited by Pelo on Sun 14 Aug 2016, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

python mistery..

#6 Post by Pelo »

Somehing strange, Griffifth downloaded first pupsave works, and does not in a new one, python error.
downloading again Python make it works, tabernacle :!:
Allocine will work only if you install Griffith with the later deb package, a bug is in previous versions.

musher0

#7 Post by musher0 »

Smithy wrote:Looks really good Musher.
I wish JWM 'ting could look like that with the transparencies on the menu items.
So is the menu Fluxbox? Looks like Openbox.
I heard Cairo is a pretty good taskbar, wonder if it could replace JWM.

That taskbar at the bottom is as usual ,"tiny", almost apologising for being there.
Begone and bring a multifunction bar down there.

Either way, that Pup looks like a good starter template for how official pups "could" look.
Hi Smithy.

Please forgive my late response.

Indeed your screen capture makes fluxbox look pretty classy.

Concerning taskbars, I can see myself using the versatile bmpanel2 with this
fluxbox. Or a rather small 2-line conky along the top (instead of the usual conky in
blotch / panel form).

AFAIK, fluxbox is openbox' "older brother": they're both descended from a window
manager called blackbox (which originated around the year 2000 I think). That's
why they look like like "family". :) They are!

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Pelo

This fluxbox is not old being reactivted by oldyeller too

#8 Post by Pelo »

This fluxbox is not old and being reactivated by oldyeller too. Palemoon version and you tube marry together well, better than legopen unicorn. They are some bugs, but Mandibule did this puplet only for his own experience, and did not intend to get it active. That is what i understood. So he will not assume overhaul tasks. But waiting for oldyeller release, this personal puppy will enjoy many of you.
Nowadays puppies are clones, from woof ce production lines, standardized.
Take an old one, and remasterize it as mandibule is still the better way to make Puppy do one step in the future. He changed the kernel to fit newer computers, His bad choice was to choose and XFCE Slacko for that. But Mandibule made a try to create, not to reproduce, and i shall give him my congratulations.
What old devs (old is not the word, frozen would be better) should notice is that you can run Ubuntu stuff with slacko kernels..
Oldyeller retirement, oldyeller is back again, he says (2016). Wait for a new release of his pupflux

Belham

MON DIEU!! DIOS MIOS!! My GOSH!!

#9 Post by Belham »

Musher/Pelo (and everyone else reading on murga, keep reading),

Where is this mandibule2005?

He is not here. He is not on the msg thread you linked.

None of his Google drive links work. But thank heavens for Ally, as I was able to download mandibule's fluxbox version.

Why does any of this matter? Simple: fluxbox.....

What a complete surprise! the fluxbox look and is operation is interesting as heck insid a pup. This could be a great direction for lightweight puppies . And mandibule's is based on x-sacko 4.1, so it is stable and such.

I urge pup users on murga here to go to the thread Musher first linked:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... ost#911331

...yes, it is all in French, do not care if you do not speak French, go there.... if you no parler une French, quick-use of Google Translate is your friend. I live fairly close geographically to Pelo, and I still embarrassingly speak no French....who cares?! Use Google Translate!!

Here's is Ally's link of this mandibule2005's creations:
http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_mandibule2005

Ally saves the day once again, because for some reason, none of mandibule2005 links to his Google Drive account (scattered throughout the French thread Musher linked to) do not work.

Mandibule created 4 creations. For clarity, using Ally's fantastic help and what I found throughout that French thread, here are the ISO md5 sums for what Ally has uploaded:

s3.iso (could not find the md5 sum)
s3e17.iso (could not find the md5 sum)
s3flux.iso md5 : eb959fb04580a9999606c292f167ec3e
s3slim.iso md5: f486a178b8b15574e4c7fa36cccc5682
custom-berylpup.iso md5: 42871c92f0a76e650ca32eaf03b5027c

----Also, Mandibule2005 also made a Mate version. From pics provided there, looks exactly like Ubutnu mate desktop. He listed it as S4Mate64&32.iso, to be located at https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz1ZmB ... sp=sharing, with the md5sum: ece3a057e7dceb0914b64aa280f6f136, at size 381.7 MB. Unfortunately, as I noted above, all the links to the Google Drive account in the French thread do not work.

In summary;
I have only tested the 's3flux", and I believe it it is the real jewel here. If you've never tried fluxbox, you need to, The look, appearance, it's speed, lightweight, is not well known in the pup community. It reminds me of antiX developers were/are doing with the small OS footprint of their's (antiX-15 and antiX-16).

I will be also testing the custom-berylpup.iso today. At only ~180mb, and yet it has the ability to do the KDE-like cube? Unbelievable. The cube is something if you haven't experienced you really need to do once in your lifetime. To have this done, in a pup under 200MB, is just fantastic. Same is true for the s3fluxbox pup, fluxbox will make you think twice what many are doing in terms of desktops in puppies they put together.

Musher, I know you are busy with your other threads, developments, and also life, but if you get a chance, could you (or maybe Pelo???) try to get mandibule2005 to appear here? With the s3fluxbox, does he even realize he created a little jewel?? And that if people try it, they more than likely will get hooked on it???

Thanks.

musher0

#10 Post by musher0 »

Hi Belham.

Thanks for your review of some of mandibule's excellent work. My guess is that he's
some kind of a misanthropist...

mandibule2005 created a "jewel" as you say, then lost patience with some of the
French members / commentators and went back in his creative shell.

I'm afraid that there's not much I can do if mandibule2005 finds the human race
appalling... Maybe your review will convince him that not every member of humanity
is an idiot! :)

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

Pelo

Mandibule 2005 should not care too much about criticism.

#11 Post by Pelo »

Mandibule has prooved that a Slacko can run with an Ubuntu PPM, and that is not usual. What is not usual always is harder to be accepted, both sides, Ubuntu puppies and Slacko ones. But freedom is freedom. Mandibule 2005 should not care too much about criticism.
However, it was a personal experience. If Mandibule does not want to go ahead, we shall respect his decison. Oldyeller decided to retire from Fluxbox, and now is back.
What personally i ask, is that devs inform users. Mandibule did it, Oldyeller too. If people continue to burn ISOs, they are free too, if the Puppy is worth the pain. not supported does not mean users cannot continue to use it.
I take profit of this topic to tell french users that Medor will help even with puppy 4XXXX series, in spite of he would prefer they migrate to newer versions, if Slacko tainted. But sure with X-Slim Puppy, he was lost a little bit. Is it a Slacko, is it a Ubuntu ? That was the reason why he barked loud !