Icanhazip back on?

For discussions about security.
Smithy

Icanhazip back on?

#1 Post by Smithy »

Are there any other apps sending out data via puppy these days?

Just tried Tahrpup, can't be sure if the "on/off" tick box for Network Status Information and allow major hayden to ping you is fully functioning?

Pet get gets an automatic update urge from ibiblio for Tahrpup.

Vlc got some anonymous data usage going on if you want.

Anything else we might know about before we get targetted step ladder, lipstick and perfume ads coming in...
Last edited by Smithy on Fri 12 Aug 2016, 16:32, edited 2 times in total.

learnhow2code

Re: Icanhazip back on?

#2 Post by learnhow2code »

Smithy wrote:Are there any other apps sending out data via puppy these days?

Just tried Tahrpup, can't be sure if the "on/off" tick box for Network Status Information and allow major hayden to ping you is fully functioning?

Pet get gets an automatic update urge from ibiblio for Tahrpup.

Anything else we might know about before we get targetted lipstick and perfume ads coming in...
i didnt know you were one of the guys against this?

when i added petget to fig os, i grepped it for icanhaz, didnt find anything. all the things in librepup are still in librepup mode, though it wasnt doing sed reliably on someone elses setup, so mkfigos now has its own native routine for this:

Code: Select all

now fixpings isoname "ping" "baseping"       "/mnt/mkrefpup/unsq/squashfs-root/usr/local/video_upgrade/video_upgrade_wizard"  
now fixpings isoname "ping" "baseping"       "/mnt/mkrefpup/unsq/squashfs-root/usr/local/petget/devx_service_pack.sh"  
now fixpings isoname "ping" "baseping"       "/mnt/mkrefpup/unsq/squashfs-root/usr/local/petget/service_pack.sh"  
now fixpings isoname "ping" "baseping"       "/mnt/mkrefpup/unsq/squashfs-root/usr/local/yassm/yassm-search"  
now fixpings isoname "ping" "baseping"       "/mnt/mkrefpup/unsq/squashfs-root/usr/local/apps/pnethood/pnethood"  
now fixpings isoname "ping -4" "baseping -4" "/mnt/mkrefpup/unsq/squashfs-root/usr/sbin/Pudd"  
now fixpings isoname "ping -c" "baseping -c" "/mnt/mkrefpup/unsq/squashfs-root/usr/share/alsa-base/alsa-info.sh"  
now fixpings isoname "ping" "baseping"       "/mnt/mkrefpup/unsq/squashfs-root/usr/sbin/getflash"  
now fixpings isoname "ping" "baseping"       "/mnt/mkrefpup/unsq/squashfs-root/usr/sbin/check_internet"  
if you can find anything in librepup that should be removed, i will try to do something about it. how will that help you if you dont use librepup? do let me know though.

https://archive.org/download/librepup-6 ... .0.2.2.iso

librepup is based on tahr 6.0.2., so whatever you find in 6.0.2. or 6.0.5. probably also helps.

Smithy

#3 Post by Smithy »

No I am not against it Learn How 2 Code.

I believe that the ping was needed for some networks to stay alive, but as Mike B said he could just get his own ping anyway as anyone can.

It comes back on on reboot, but I may well have broken it, the tick box that is.

No I was just possibly moving onto Tahrpup as a long term puppy, decently built, fonts don't look *shi*, moves fast glx gears mesa looking good.

But I just wanted to know what (if anything) it and its processes/apps are sending out. Not a tinfoil request :)
Just transparency.

That was a quick response from you! Oh right, you have made a libreoffice puppy, that's cool, I am trying tahrpup 602.

I am happy with the Abiword if it works ok and the Peasy gear.

Belham

Re: Icanhazip back on?

#4 Post by Belham »

Smithy wrote:Are there any other apps sending out data via puppy these days?

....Pet get gets an automatic update urge from ibiblio for Tahrpup.

Anything else we might know about before we get targetted step ladder and perfume ads coming in...
Smithy,

Can I ask an honest, non-flippant question: are you implying Tahrpup (or any pup distro) could be a nefarious data gathering OS that is gathering all our life's important info (fin'l and otherwise) & sending it all back home to the developer's and/or developers (plural) home base(s)?

Smithy

#5 Post by Smithy »

Hi Belham, no I am not implying that, however it could be if one wanted it to be I guess.
It is just a rundown thread and synopsis of the development of puppy.
What's in, what's out. How it leaks, how it doesn't.

If any devs can give a "short" informational synopsis of puppy that would be great.

learnhow2code

#6 Post by learnhow2code »

Smithy wrote:I just wanted to know what (if anything) it and its processes/apps are sending out. Not a tinfoil request :)
Just transparency.
the pings to duckduckgo and whatnot are as you said, to keep the network connection. tahrs ping scripts are listed in the snippet ive included. the wget to icanhazip (if any, and there could be at least one) allows the connection setup to report the internet-facing (vs lan router facing) ip address.

since fig os gives you a choice between puppy mode and another with no ping scripts or icanhazip, ive disabled the ping scripts from puppy mode as a demo and most wgets are legit-- but i did try to evaluate it recently. it will probably use icanhazip at least when connecting-- only in puppy mode.

imo neither ping script or icanhazip are necessary, partly for the reason you alluded to. the majority think its a nice feature.

tinfoil isnt useless, but when its libre you get to choose the uses of course.

Sailor Enceladus

#7 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Smithy wrote:fonts don't look *shi*
DejaVu is winning in the poll :P
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107073

I never had an issue with the fonts in Slacko, I think they look really nice.

Smithy

#8 Post by Smithy »

Yes Sailor, all micko's slackos paid good attention to the look, rarely a pig in them, just a weird mouse pointer once, lucid, was good, dpup good, all dejavu fonts probably and the devs were learning about font hinting, lcd screens etc.

Just a heads up on message box consistency.
The one for example for , extract pet in Tahr, after completion, a message box comes up that even Mr Magoo wouldn't miss! It is absolutely massive, and it doesn't close itself.

I think the git boys need a message box checker session. It makes such a difference to how the puppy looks, more erm..consistent.

greengeek

#9 Post by greengeek »

Can anyone offer an example (a pic or two) demonstrating the difference between these supposedly good looking fonts and bad looking fonts? I have no idea if I am seeing the bad fonts people talk about or good fonts.

(I'm not talking about preferred choice of specific font I mean good versus bad versus aliased versus antialiased etc etc)

Maybe point to another thread if this is an inappropriate question for here.

cheers!

Sailor Enceladus

#10 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

greengeek wrote:
Can anyone offer an example (a pic or two) demonstrating the difference between these supposedly good looking fonts and bad looking fonts? I have no idea if I am seeing the bad fonts people talk about or good fonts.

(I'm not talking about preferred choice of specific font I mean good versus bad versus aliased versus antialiased etc etc)

Maybe point to another thread if this is an inappropriate question for here.

cheers!
I remember, in an earlier version of X-Slacko Slim, the fonts in Opera 12.16 looked really bad and hard to see when visiting the forum. They were small and oval and washed out somehow. Since then, mistfire switched from Opera to midori though, and that somehow fixed the issue (I think). That's the only thing I can think of currently, I'm guessing Smithy has a better example.

Smithy

#11 Post by Smithy »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 78&t=73838

Well you can use the search wikka font rendering greengeek and also rcrn51 had a solution to the absolutely dreadful look in the browser on some pups.
The pic shows clear fonts, even with Mr Compton on. With Mr Compton off they are even clearer.
Attachments
image-1.png
(155.3 KiB) Downloaded 166 times