SM Player for puppy linux in not able to play MKV Files

Booting, installing, newbie
umair

SM Player for puppy linux in not able to play MKV Files

#1 Post by umair »

Hi All:
Posting an issue after a long time I was busy in some domestic affairs. I recently tried Tahr Pup. Installed SM Player from quick pet. But its not able to play MKV files. I used older versions of SM Player in Windows. All work fine but sadly the version which is available for puppy linux is not able to play mkv files.

Thats the shocking experience for me as an open source software is running fine in closed source environment.

chilidog

#2 Post by chilidog »

SMplayer depends on mplayer. Can you play your mkv on mplayer?

p310don

#3 Post by p310don »

What is the MKV file?

They play fine for me in SMplayer. I did have some issues with some x265 encoded MKV files, which wouldn't play. Older MKV files play fine. I upgraded my version of Mplayer, and now all MKV files play without any problem whatsoever.

umair

#4 Post by umair »

chilidog wrote:SMplayer depends on mplayer. Can you play your mkv on mplayer?
Mplayer also fails to play the files.
p310don wrote:What is the MKV file?

They play fine for me in SMplayer. I did have some issues with some x265 encoded MKV files, which wouldn't play. Older MKV files play fine. I upgraded my version of Mplayer, and now all MKV files play without any problem whatsoever.
I have downloaded youtube videos, which are in MKV format.

Anyhow I will update the Mplayer thn will report the results.

Thanks

chilidog

#5 Post by chilidog »

use the console/terminal to see the error messages

Mike Walsh

#6 Post by Mike Walsh »

MKV files are also the same as the 'Matroska' container, which is one of the video format options in SimpleScreenRecorder.

As umair says, they are one of the accepted formats for uploading files to/downloading from YouTube.

VLC plays them for me with no issues. Haven't tried MPlayer/SMPlayer yet, but I would've expected the same result.

Mike. :wink:

umair

#7 Post by umair »

Hello Everyone:
I updated the default vlc player of Tahr from PPM to 2.2.0-rc. It gave me a bunch of missing dependencies but I ignored that .-) Now I can play any type of mkv files. ;). No need of Smplayer. VLC Rocks
Thanks