mkfigos 1.3: combines librepup with refracta

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Robert123

#21 Post by Robert123 »

@Learninghow2code

Stick with your vision you have been a gentlemen throughout this thread, you other detractors should hang your heads in shame - disgusting behaviour and unfornately nothing new.:(

s243a

#22 Post by s243a »

I appreciate any and all efforts to innovate with puppy liinux. Keep up the good work, learnhow2code, not that I know anything about the ping issue nor have I tried your pupplet.

So back to the original post, are these two different distributions merged into one or are you just providing an option to boot from one of the two?

learnhow2code

#23 Post by learnhow2code »

s243a wrote:I appreciate any and all efforts to innovate with puppy liinux. Keep up the good work, learnhow2code
thank you very much.
So back to the original post, are these two different distributions merged into one or are you just providing an option to boot from one of the two?
yes! (there is an option to boot from one or the other. the idea is also to mix them. the sfs files of both distros get opened and mixed and edited, although so far no dramatic mixes have taken place.) ive considered copying binaries / libraries from the refracta mode to puppy mode, and ive considered copying binaries (with required libs) from puppy mode to refracta mode.

on the mixing, ive mostly copied puppys default wallpaper, but then this went through rebranding, per suggestions from the puppy community. puppys isolinux configuration is mixed with the one from refracta.

there would be other mixing features by now, but i took time to work on something related to puppy mode-- it can do things to the puppy mode, or the refracta mode, or both, or mix things from one side to the other.

as to who can understand this, let me offer this script as evidence of a theory: packaging and distro building are so similar, they practically use the same kinds of scripts and files. put another way: distro building is packaging on a bigger scale.

s243a

#24 Post by s243a »

learnhow2code wrote:
s243a wrote:I appreciate any and all efforts to innovate with puppy liinux. Keep up the good work, learnhow2code
thank you very much.
yes! (there is an option to boot from one or the other. the idea is also to mix them. the sfs files of both distros get opened and mixed and edited, although so far no dramatic mixes have taken place.) ive considered copying binaries / libraries from the refracta mode to puppy mode, and ive considered copying binaries (with required libs) from puppy mode to refracta mode.

on the mixing, ive mostly copied puppys default wallpaper, but then this went through rebranding, per suggestions from the puppy community. puppys isolinux configuration is mixed with the one from refracta.

there would be other mixing features by now, but i took time to work on something related to puppy mode-- it can do things to the puppy mode, or the refracta mode, or both, or mix things from one side to the other.

as to who can understand this, let me offer this script as evidence of a theory: packaging and distro building are so similar, they practically use the same kinds of scripts and files. put another way: distro building is packaging on a bigger scale.
If you could strip out all the windows manager stuff as separate sfs files then I would expect mixing would work as follows.

First load the the libraries from the less dominant distribution and than the libraries from the more dominant distribution and finally load the windows manager. So three sfs files, one for each step.

As long as the kernel is the same than this shouldn't be an issue.

I'm not sure how much is contained in the boot image but the boot image should match the more dominant distribution. So this way we have mixing. I suppose the kernel might not even have to be the same because it is possible to upgrade a kernel but not the libraries. Still though, we would have to pick one kernel.

Marv

#25 Post by Marv »

learnhow2code wrote:im not trying to put words in your mouth, i know youre not forbidding anything-- but it sounds like you might be trying to make a case against changing puppy at all, or just "leaving it to someone else."
No, not at all. I've seen and see many things that should be changed in puppy. When I think they are universal enough to warrant inclusion I try to offer the suggestion as close as I can get to the original author. If I think they are my personal quirks only or have the potential to break or change what other people think of as established script behavior I rewrite or manually remaster for my own bedevilment. It's not change or no change, just a matter of style in my view... and I for one am trying very hard to be constructive here and on the forum overall.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

learnhow2code

#26 Post by learnhow2code »

0.8: upgrade to latest refracta, upgrade to icewm, added leafpad, hsetroot, yadless, battery indicator in icewm, added "auto-edited by" to scripts that might otherwise be thought of as unedited.

0.9: icewm menus fixed, puppy yad upgraded, simple python server, rox copied from puppy to refracta
Attachments
mkfigos09.fig.gz
(16.63 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
mkfigos08.fig.gz
(15.27 KiB) Downloaded 185 times

ally

#27 Post by ally »

@code

I've had a quick play, it's a bit beyond me sorry

if you fancy ftp'ing stuff to me I'll put it up on the archive

:)

learnhow2code

#28 Post by learnhow2code »

ally wrote:@code

I've had a quick play, it's a bit beyond me sorry
curious what you did, but thats ok.
if you fancy ftp'ing stuff to me I'll put it up on the archive
thanks, i might!

ally

#29 Post by ally »

downloaded the mkfigos 0.9 script, downloaded refracta

fig9 is installed, devx loaded

ran script:

./mkfigos09.sh: line 4: proginf: command not found
./mkfigos09.sh: line 6: isov: command not found
./mkfigos09.sh: line 7: isoname: command not found
./mkfigos09.sh: line 9: syntax error near unexpected token `mainv'
./mkfigos09.sh: line 9: `function addquoted mainv toquote'

learnhow2code

#30 Post by learnhow2code »

ally wrote:ran script:

./mkfigos09.sh: line 4: proginf: command not found
./mkfigos09.sh: line 6: isov: command not found
./mkfigos09.sh: line 7: isoname: command not found
./mkfigos09.sh: line 9: syntax error near unexpected token `mainv'
./mkfigos09.sh: line 9: `function addquoted mainv toquote'
so, heres the story there-- its actually really simple (and something i ought to consider changing.)

fig scripts are technically "compiled" (wait, not compiled like configure, make, etc-- it has no deps or multiple commands...) so its a bit facetious to put #!/usr/local/bin/fig29 at the top-- but that would have helped here.

originally this was a proof-of-concept and i wasnt sure anyone would actually try to use it, but i have updated the top post to include things like:
learnhow2code wrote:* you will need fig-- which you would already have if you were running fig os. you can get the .pet for fig here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 501#909501
so you install that pet, and then to run mkfigos you do it like this:

# fig29 mkfigos09.fig

# ./mkfigos09.fig.py

but for your effort, allow me to take a moment to compile it for you:

(compiled mkfigos09.fig.py attached-- just rename it to drop the .gz)

if the forum drops the +x then either chmod +x mkfigos09.fig.py OR...

# python mkfigos09.fig.py

either of these will let you run the attached script.
Attachments
mkfigos09.fig.py.gz
(45.38 KiB) Downloaded 166 times

learnhow2code

#31 Post by learnhow2code »

1.0:
* switched from tahr 6.0.5 to librepup based on 6.0.2
* modprobe e1000 added to puppy mode for qemu compatibility
* more compression for sfs
* default wallpaper removed in puppy mode
Attachments
mkfigos10.fig.gz
(17.79 KiB) Downloaded 198 times

ally

#32 Post by ally »

hey code

finally got around to running your '09 script which created figos0.9.iso

I'm not clever enough to understand what changes I should see over and above a 'normal' tahrpup build

I have tried '10 script but I get a syntax error on line 4, again sadly I have no understanding

http://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux ... gos0.9.iso

quirkian2new

#33 Post by quirkian2new »

@learnhow2code, i think nearly all of the members in this puppy forum will appreciate all kinds of effort for innovation & technology advance for puppy linux. So keep up with your good effort.

Other innovative efforts like PUPBSD is also being discussed in the following thread :

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107542

thanks

learnhow2code

#34 Post by learnhow2code »

ally wrote:finally got around to running your '09 script which created figos0.9.iso

I'm not clever enough to understand what changes I should see over and above a 'normal' tahrpup build
this is so many kinds of wonderful...

first of all, youre the first person to upload a copy of my iso, ever! and youre the second person (on the planet) to upload an iso containing my programming language, which is in fig os.

there are some other interesting things about this-- one is that refracta was clearly downloaded, because the initrd and vmlinuz differ from the puppy initrd and vmlinuz-- but the squashfs is missing.

im guessing this is because mksquashfs failed on your machine on the larger file, but it obviously modified the smaller puppy sfs, because it contains changes i made. in fact, the 10-chapter book i did a preliminary version of is in there, along with evince (one of the better tools for reading it.)

but the best part is-- either from an evaluation standpoint or from a technical standpoint, the ping scripts are not edited! *evil grin* -- this is either because sed didnt work or because you removed those lines. either way, im tickled.

youve done an excellent job and thank you for putting this up. as much as id like to get you more into this process, that was never my intention-- i didnt want you as a guinea pig, i wanted it to work properly for you the first time so you could upload it.

you have uploaded it, and it does work-- thank you very much! i will reply to the other things you mentioned:

I have tried '10 script but I get a syntax error on line 4, again sadly
i think you got the syntax error with version 1.0 for the same reason you did the first time on 0.9.

without expecting you to follow any of this (its simply not your job to) i will explain in case it helps someone:

the "fig" files im putting in this thread, have this naming convention:

[ filename ] DOT [ fig ] DOT [ gz ]
- or -
[ filename ] DOT [ fig ] DOT [ py ] DOT [ gz ]

the DOT gz part just makes it so the forum will allow it first, chop that off the name (rename) and you get:

[ filename ] DOT [ fig ]
- or -
[ filename ] DOT [ fig ] DOT [ py ]

mostly i upload the file as a DOT-fig file-- these files have never worked for you. you renamed one as .sh and it ran in bash-- that will never work. to make it work, you would have to install the fig pet (or use the iso you uploaded) and run it like this:

fig29 mkfigos10.fig #### (if you use fig os, its fig29.py)

[ now a lot of stuff happens on the screen ]

you get: mkfigos10.fig.py

thats the other thing i uploaded for you: mkfigos09 DOT fig DOT py.

the dot-fig file runs with fig, which then gives you the dot-fig-dot-py file.

then you run the .fig.py file, which is actually a python script, and as youve demonstrated by creating an iso, it works! (though it calls mksqashfs twice, and seems like it worked on the smaller file but not the larger one.)

this is really the important part though:

http://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux ... gos0.9.iso

thanks again! thats awesome.

if at some point in the future youd like to upload a later version, i can make you another .fig.py file-- that seems to work for us.

as for the ping scripts, im very curious if that was the script that didnt modify them or you that removed the lines :) i wouldnt suspect you, its just that sed is really reliable! i honestly dont know which scenario is less likely. its fun if you changed it-- i admire your stubborn initiative if you did.

however if you didnt, im just as curious why sed didnt work on your setup. i would suspect busybox, but i did try using mkfigos on puppy. perhaps i didnt try the sed commands? i will almost surely try to recreate your iso (i build it myself many times, but not always the best way.)

if youre not a coder but would like to be, theres a book for you in the .iso you uploaded.

i strongly recommend skipping the intro and starting with chapter 1-- i need starhawk to cut it down for me, but so far he has other stuff to work on :) cant really blame him.

cheers!

ally

#35 Post by ally »

ok, how do I fix the current figos09.iso? there is new.sfs in 'newsfs' folder, should this replace the tahr one, what about naming?

the mkfig10 is named nkfigos10.fig.py and I run using python mkfigos10.fig.py

apologies for my lack of knowledge, always happy to have a go just way above!

I will create a new archive page when '09 gets corrected, and no I didn't mess with the ping script, wouldn't know how, the only thing I changed was the download location for tahr from ibiblio to nluug as it's faster

ally

#36 Post by ally »

ok, what a muppet, missed the fig29 prefix, running '10 now

learnhow2code

#37 Post by learnhow2code »

ally wrote:ok, how do I fix the current figos09.iso? there is new.sfs in 'newsfs' folder, should this replace the tahr one, what about naming?
newsfs absolutely did replace the tahr one-- the files i added wouldnt be in the iso you uploaded (and, they are) otherwise.
the mkfig10 is named nkfigos10.fig.py and I run using python mkfigos10.fig.py
youve figured this one out now :)
apologies for my lack of knowledge
are you kidding? i cant believe how willing youve been to learn something like this.
I will create a new archive page when '09 gets corrected, and no I didn't mess with the ping script, wouldn't know how, the only thing I changed was the download location for tahr from ibiblio to nluug as it's faster
well thats very interesting. some of the code that changes the ping scripts (this is a whole debacle you can see me getting flak for in this thread-- i turned off the scripts that ping duckduckgo and other sites in tahr) is working-- the part that creates baseping and baseping6 works... but the part that edits the existing scripts. this line for example:

now "sed -i 's/ping/baseping/g' unsq/squashfs-root/usr/sbin/check_internet" shell

what thats meant to do is change /usr/sbin/check_internet so that "ping" becomes "baseping," and this works for me but in the iso you uploaded, it didnt happen.

again, i cant guess why this is. but the iso is useful feedback, and "everyone" (most) will tell you this is a non-issue. but if you made a script that changes it youd be curious why that part didnt work-- sed is pretty reliable; it could be a list of things, none of which seem likely.

lets find out what happens with 1.0. i try these scripts out several times when im working on them, your results are fantastic.

as for fixing 0.9, i think you need more ram or a bigger swap-- i will consider adding a feature to log mksquashfs-- the part that i think is failing to make the larger sfs (squashfs) file for diagnostics.

this is way-- way beyond anything ive asked of you or will ask of you. when i made the script i didnt count on anyone running it. youre not the first person to run it other than me, but you are the first to upload the iso that results.
:D

please dont keep working on this unless its actually fun for you, or you just love remastering so much. the idea of the script is that you run it, it makes an iso. it was never intended for you to put yourself through this :)

when i run it, it just makes the iso. then i put the iso on dvd, or run isohybrid to make it dd-able to usb.

ally

#38 Post by ally »

rebuilt and added fig10.iso

new page just being created and files uploading, see here:

http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_Refractapup

learnhow2code

#39 Post by learnhow2code »

ally wrote:rebuilt and added fig10.iso

new page just being created and files uploading, see here
hey, its got the full iso now!

so 0.9 and 1.0 are there. you notice that the 1.0 iso is considerably smaller, by design (better compression settings.) and at least in 0.9 (havent downloaded 1.0 yet) the ping scripts are still unmodified, hmm...

future versions of mkfigos will rely on their own file-modification routines, not calls to sed. im not sure that sed is the culprit (if its not, i dont know what is) but i am pretty certain of the way i will try to fix it.

ally, thanks so much! how did you get the full iso to be made this time, did you increase your swap or did simply running it twice do the trick?

incidentally, if you run the iso with "puppy" at boot, you will get puppy tahr (in fig os 1.0 its librepup-- based on tahr also) but if you run the iso with "live" you will get something quite different.

its two distros in one, for the purpose of combining the two. have fun :) thanks again.

ally

#40 Post by ally »

I tried making the other scripts too but the refracta ISOs have been removed

yes, bigger savefile, I hadn't noticed any errors when building

will have a better play when my brain is working!