Grafburn cd burner - new version 0.10.1

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
WhoDo

#41 Post by WhoDo »

Nathan F wrote:I just uploaded version 0.4, with all of the above changes. This is probably the most dramatic revision to date.
And bloody luverly, too! Thanks, Nathan. Thats absolutely terrific, and suits my needs to a T.

Cheers

WhoDo

Re: Wav, Mp3 and Ogg sounds about right for starters

#42 Post by WhoDo »

WhoDo wrote:
As to other formats, I hope I'm not teaching my Grandma any egg-sucking, or exposing my own ignorance, but at a minimum I'd like it to be able to encode from mp3 to CDDA and perhaps flac, too.
That may be quite a lot. Wav, Mp3 and Ogg sounds about right for starters. Plinej is working on adding sound recording to an app he is working on - that may be worked co-operatively?

the amazing Soxgui-0.2 which converts between audio formats
is in Puppy Star (2.13)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=85761

However for future features who knows what might well be possible (ultimately it is up to Nathans good judgement)
MODS: As I didn't write this, I suggest there may be something screwy going on! Either the board has hiccuped or someone is playing around. Probably the former. My actual post has disappeared and I've been credited with one displaying more technical expertise than I would dare to claim. Any ideas?

plinej

#43 Post by plinej »

Well, If Barry puts my updated ffmpeg into Puppy 2.14 it will be able to decode most of the audio formats you mentioned you want to incorporate. There is also flac support in ffmpeg but I disabled it in the most recent ffmpeg package that I posted because the flac encoding doesn't work right (the decoding is fine though). If you used ffmpeg you wouldn't have to have many lines of code since the multiple different formats going in could all be decoded to wav.

ffmpeg -i inputfile.(whatever-format) output.wav

and then burned to audio cd. Sox will also decode various formats to wav. If you look at the soxgui code you'll see I utilized sox and ffmpeg to transcode between audio formats.

Speaking of my code I really should add more comments in there so people can look at it and know right off the bat what it's doing.

Nathan F

#44 Post by Nathan F »

The fact that it refers to Puppy-2.13 by the codename (Star) makes me think the post might have been from Lobster. I bet the board is just acting screwy, hopefully it's a temporary glitch. John does have a forum set aside for posting bugs like this now, so it might be a good idea to report it to him.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

plinej

#45 Post by plinej »

I should also add some other code that may help since you'll probably want to convert to stereo and set sampling rate to 44.1Khz when burning an audio cd.

sox input-file -c 2 -r 44100 output.wav
ffmpeg -i input-file -ac 2 -ar 44100 output.wav

Of course if the file is already stereo and 44.1Khz it wouldn't matter but just incase it isn't.

You'll have to see what the stock ffmpeg can decode since I can't remember. It may be able to decode most of those formats but my newer version will encode more formats.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#46 Post by Lobster »

Nathan F wrote:The fact that it refers to Puppy-2.13 by the codename (Star) makes me think the post might have been from Lobster. I bet the board is just acting screwy,
Nathan
Yes it was me . . .
Lobster :?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Nathan F

Version 0.5 uploaded

#47 Post by Nathan F »

I just uploaded version 0.5 of Grafburn. This version implements very basic audio cd creation and encoding, with support for ogg, mp3, and wav. At some point in the future I will expand this to include flac and m4a. PlineJ will be pleased to note that it now calls the defaulttexteditor to display the helpfile rather than using rox as a handler. I also commented out some code that was giving me problems in the iso creation stage, and it now works more reliably.

The audio capabilities are quite basic, and the output is hardcoded for stereo at 44.1Khz. There are no fancy playlists or file selection dialogs, instead you just burn an entire directory of audio files, either directly or first encoding to the format of your choice. It uses ffmpeg for encoding to mp3 or wav, and sox for encoding to ogg because Puppy's stock ffmpeg cannot output ogg files. I've also edited the included help and added a changelog to it.

There is still some more work to be done on this, mainly cleaning up the dialog text and adding configuration options. I also need to come up with a better way to display feedback during the encoding stage than popping it up in rxvt, because the program is popping up too many windows now. But for my uses this is already quite usable.

I may fork this in a week or two, creating a Puppy-specific version and a Grafpup specific version. I have svg support in Grafpup's gtk and want to use svg icons in the application, and will probably include PlineJ's recompiled ffmpeg. Also the Grafpup version will reside in a different location. I may also be adding an updated gtkdialog to Grafpup in order to access the new style file selection dialog. At the point this happens I will probably stop work on the Puppy specific version, and ask that if anyone else wants to see it developed further then you are welcome to take it over.

This version comes in both unleashed and dotpup format. Uninstall any previous versions before installing, to avoid duplicate entries in the package manager.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

AndyMack

#48 Post by AndyMack »

is the burning of bin/cue files supported at all?

Nathan F

#49 Post by Nathan F »

I only know of three things that can read a bin/cue file under *nix. None are in Puppy, so I can't easily add that capability to my program. For the record you can use:

Mplayer
Cdrdao
The Cdemu kernel module (from the same guys who submitted the Mplayer patch for bin/cue)

If anyone is interested, cdrdao would probably be easiest to get running in Puppy. I have no idea if any of the current Mplayer packages have this capability or not.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Nathan F

#50 Post by Nathan F »

Another version is already in the works. I've finally figured out the right settings for burning a directory of wav's as a conventional audio cd, so the next version of Grafburn will do that. I've added several more settings to the preferences manager and started using them in the burning stage also, things like speed, device name, and sampling rate for encoding audio. Plus I'll be streamlining the process by removing extra windows and dialog boxes.

One thing I need to redesign, is the way the audio encoding stage works. Right now it pops up a new rxvt window for each one, but I want to move the function to an external script so I can just call rxvt once. I designed it the way I did so that there is a minimum of interaction, the user doesn't even have to input the format the songs are in because the program finds checks the files.

Anyway, probably two days till version 0.6, which should be well worth it. It's getting closer now to what I envision as a 1.0 release.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

john biles

#51 Post by john biles »

Hello Nathan F,
First thank you for creating this Burner, It will do alot for Puppy and Grafpup.
I have couple questions. Does version 0.5 support the burning of data files to CD and or DVD?
I want to be able to burn all my downloaded Dotspup's and Photo's eg jpeg's, bmp's to CD and or DVD.
It would also be nice to burn WMA, AVI's to CD etc.
Can folders be burnt to CD and or DVD containing a mixture of files?
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

MU

#52 Post by MU »

yes, in 2 steps.
First choose to create an ISO.
It lets you choose folders.
Then choose to burn a CD, this lets you choose the ISO you just created.

Mark

Lobster
Official Crustacean

RW-DVD's are autoblanked

#53 Post by Lobster »

Nathan it might be useful to be aware that RW-DVD's are autoblanked
by the burn2CD wizard if containing data
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1524#91524
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

amish

#54 Post by amish »

Nathan F wrote:If anyone is interested, cdrdao would probably be easiest to get running in Puppy. I have no idea if any of the current Mplayer packages have this capability or not.
yes! i'm on three puppy-related crusades at the moment. if you made a package that installed cdrdao, and made something that burned .iso files with cdrdao, i could focus entirely on the other two. I AM INTERESTED. thank you. cdrecord (for .iso files anyway) has no future. thanks again.
sadly, it is not possible to separate politics from free software. free software - politics = unfree software.

Nathan F

#55 Post by Nathan F »

Well at present I'm not going to change Grafburn to use cdrdao, because it's not in Puppy. I can't rule out changing it in the future, or adding support if cdrdao is founf, but in that case it might be a while before it happens anyway.

I have gone ahead and compiled cdrdao, and will post it into a different thread. It seems straightforward enough right now, just read the docs and you should be up and running. All command line at present.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Nathan F

#56 Post by Nathan F »

Version 0.6 is uploaded. The tweaks are mainly in the preferences manager, and in the use of the preferences. See the changelog for details. This version also fixes audio cd creation so that burning an audio cd from a folder full of wav files will result in a disk that can play on any cd player (theoretically), so in that sense this is a major upgrade. Most of the planned features are now implemented, so from here on out it will be mainly bugfixes.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

amish

#57 Post by amish »

molto grazie, nathan :)

Nathan F

#58 Post by Nathan F »

I'm looking into different audio codecs for the next release, in particular I have found a lot of music online lately in .ape and .flac formats. The problem is, Puppy doesn't have tools to deal with either format. The .ape files are in the mac (Money's Audio Codec) format, which is a proprietary Windows based codec. There is a port of mac to *nix and it works just fine under Puppy. I think I'll package it up and add an option in Grafburn to convert to and from mac, if the program finds a mac executable in it's $PATH.

Flac audio might be more tricky. I have the flac source package downloaded but don't know if it in itself contains the tools to convert to and from flac, or if it's just libraries.

I can add wma support if someone has Plinej's ffmpeg package installed. I haven't had time to look too far into m4a and how it would be decoded in Linux. I have a lot of m4a files leftover from when I actually used Windows and Nero, and I can listen to them in Rhythmbox using Fedora, but I don't know what program or library is providing that support. I don't think it's in Puppy right now.

There is a possible problem with how Grafburn produces audio cd's right now. It automatically deletes anything in the temp directory if you decide to encode audio. The potentialproblem is if you set the temp directly to something like /root or /mnt/home, or a partition that already has information you want on it. This could potentially be like a disastrous rm -R, so I need to implement some sanity checks when setting the temp directory. In the meantime, please don't do anything stupid with it!

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

plinej

#59 Post by plinej »

I packaged up mac quite a long while back and it's on MU's site at:

http://www.dotpups.de/dotpups/Multimedia/mac-3.99.pup

Dougal packaged up flac 1.1.3 at:

http://www.dotpups.de/dotpups/Multimedi ... 3-base.pup

That contains everything you need to encode/decode flac files.

As far as m4a is concerned try to decode with my newer ffmpeg package. I'm not sure if it's supported or not and have no m4a files to test with.

Nathan F

#60 Post by Nathan F »

Thanks for the links and info. I was wondering, what would be an easy way to test for your upgraded ffmpeg package in the shell, so I can add in wma support? I guess I could look at your Pbcdripper and figure it out, but it's easier to ask.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...