Puppy Everywhere? Raspberry Pi - $5

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Pete

Puppy Everywhere? Raspberry Pi - $5

#1 Post by Pete »

Hi all

To some this may not be news but I have just seen that the Raspberry Pi Foundation has released a mini $5 Pi, known as the Zero.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/pi-zero/

Well, by the time you add a few extras like cables, shipping and so on, it will probably be closer to $10, but still very good.
A computer that can run Linux for ten bucks? yes please I'll take half a dozen.

The official distro for it is about 1GB (good grief that is like 10 Puppies) and no doubt there is a lot of crud in there that just slows the poor thing down.

Power requirements are modest, 5V at around 170mA, so perfect for remote applications and even small stand alone projects.
At this price, who needs an Arduino when can have a "proper" computer running Linux, even if it's the bloated official OS.

Only problem is there is no Puppy available for it, pity, a good chance to spread Puppy to even more places and "appliances".

Pete

#2 Post by Pete »

The Pi Zero, could fit it almost anywhere.
Attachments
pi-zero-small.jpg
(15.3 KiB) Downloaded 437 times

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Raspberry Pi: The smart person's guide
Setting up the Pi is slightly different, and possibly slightly more complex, than your average computer desktop, though not by much. There are easy to follow guides online, and the NOOBS (New Out-Of-Box Software) installer makes getting the computer up and running relatively easy.

Depending on what you want to do, NOOBS can install various operating systems, for example Raspbian for a desktop PC, or OSMC for a media center. Once in the Pi's official Raspbian OS, you have all the basics you'd expect from a desktop PC, such as a word processor, web browser and email client.

ally

#4 Post by ally »

I've had kodi running on one just for fun, indexing the files is an overnight job and navigating the menu a little slow but plays well enough

I currently use a pi3 to serve my media and handle the puppy files I archive and a pi2 to run kodi and another connected to the hifi with a DAC chip for my music

cool little units

:)

openmediavault
xbian
rune audio
Last edited by ally on Sat 02 Jul 2016, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.

Pete

#5 Post by Pete »

@Flash

I like the idea of NOOBS.
Probably going to get me a Pi tomorrow and start playing on it.
Certainly won't try it for documents and stuff, but as a data collection
device (together with fields.awk) it will fit the bill perfectly.

@ally

Pi's are quite cheap so I think I'll do a similar thing to you and use another for a media server.

ally

#6 Post by ally »

openmediavault is a neat bit of kit

I have 6 drives running, it's quite happy torrenting and serving 3 devices with media and uploading to the web at the same time

best of all it uses next to no power to run so am happy to leave running

I have found the only thing that slows 'em up is browsing, documents, file handling, video playback, youtube, all not a problem

Pete

#7 Post by Pete »

According to the "blurb", the Pi can apparently play videos at 1080p,
uhmmm, maybe at a bit rate of around 5 to 8 Mb/s, but I doubt it can handle
a mov at 30 or 50Mb/s.

What is your view/experience with this ally?

ally

#8 Post by ally »

it has a very powerful graphics chip, plays 1080p no problem, even the zero does, it's the same processor as the pi1 (single core) so it's clunky but plays with no issues

the trouble with the zero is the lack of onboard ethernet so get a pi3, same price as the pi2, quad core 1.2ghz and 64 bit capable

I might use a pi3 for the music player at some point so I can bluetooth from it

I haven't got around to trying a pi3 for desktop machine but some of the file management I did on a pi2 was very impressive, if you are CLI capable it will fly

there is a youtube clip of kodi on the zero : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8GZr2fyUY0, like I say only problem is indexing the media files

the pi2 and 3 handle this without issue, but adding the odd file or 2 after initial is no probs

Pete

#9 Post by Pete »

Thanks for that ally.

I will get a Pi3 for video/audio playback and a zero for the data collection and will run it CLI only since all it has to do is read from the GPIOs and save the data.

don570

#10 Post by don570 »

I have a pi2.
mp3 audio will play correctly if you have set up your pi correctly.

videos need KODI however.

dancytron

#11 Post by dancytron »

don570 wrote:I have a pi2.
mp3 audio will play correctly if you have set up your pi correctly.

videos need KODI however.

Videos need omxplayer (a special program for Pi GPU similar to mplayer).

The special Pi version of KODI uses omxplayer. There are also other front ends for it, like omxplayerGUI. https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... hp?t=40860 Or you can run it from the command line.

Pete

#12 Post by Pete »

So by the looks of it, any video player used on the Pi must have GPU support to be able to play videos at 1080p at a reasonable bit and frame rate.

Thanks guys.