X-Slacko Slim 4.4r49 (unique, stable, and flexible)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mistfire

#21 Post by mistfire »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:mistfire, have you considered using a zdrv? That way people can take out unneeded drivers with zdrv_cutter.
@Sailor Enceladus I still considered it however I decided to drop it because of big file size. I just want to make this puppy as small as possible much better if I reached it to less than 130Mb or lower.

mistfire

#22 Post by mistfire »

festus

#23 Post by festus »

I like this version very much, posting from it right now, and it is working very well on a Dell Inspiron.

Thanks, mistfire.

festus

mistfire

#24 Post by mistfire »

Youre welcome @festus.

Pelo

XFMEDIA, or PAROLE as your goal is a slim Puppy.

#25 Post by Pelo »

Xfmedia does its job.
In a Puppy XFCE, Choose XFMEDIA, as your goal is a slim Puppy. About the size, i suppose XFmedia is much less than Mplayer.
Don't trust me too much, because never i created a slim puppy myself. My proposal are to test.
Run Saluki (13 or 23) to get ideas.
Parole plays all Medias excepted DVDs in X-slacko Slim , but plays only DVDs and CDs in 5.3.3 XFCE Jejy 69 , not files :!: Who could understand ?
Attachments
parole.jpg
Well, but does not play any song !
(52.97 KiB) Downloaded 1625 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sun 04 Sep 2016, 08:34, edited 6 times in total.

keniv

#26 Post by keniv »

Just set this up using a manual frugal install with some other pups on an old Toshiba laptop (800MHz 320MB). Had some initial trouble with xorg but it is working fine now. I have not tried Slacko before. I have tried a number of "barebones" pups before. Although this is more slim than barebones I like it and in particular I like the layout of the menus. I will spend some more time playing. Thanks for this.

Regards,

Ken.

mistfire

#27 Post by mistfire »

@Pelo its okay. I'm just getting some references.

mistfire

#28 Post by mistfire »

escucha wrote: Asking: Any slim version in 64bit?

@escucha Im sorry to say that x-slacko is 32 bit only. Sorry for late reply.

mistfire

#29 Post by mistfire »

New iteration of X-slacko Slim has been released

Changelog:
* Organized PPM .package directory structure
* With MTP client
* It has a feature to convert Slitaz, Tiny Core Linux, Alpine Linux, and Pisi Linux packages into PET packages
* xfmedia replaced mplayer.
* Some fixes on the scripts in puppy.
* The ISO files was slightly enlarged due to webkitgtk and gstreamer
Last edited by mistfire on Mon 04 Jul 2016, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.

Robert123

#30 Post by Robert123 »

Hello Mistfire how about a statically linked no-gui Mplayer
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... led.tar.gz

It is a single file

Small Gui version.
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog ... 6_i386.deb

You'll need to convert second one to .pet.

mistfire

#31 Post by mistfire »

thank you @Robert123. I tried that packages however the files are big. Can you help me to find a smaller version of midori, webgtk, go-mtfs, and gstreamer?

Robert123

#32 Post by Robert123 »

Robert123

#33 Post by Robert123 »

mistfire

#34 Post by mistfire »

@Robert123 Okay I will try use tiny core linux packages. tcz2pet is already included on latest version of X-slacko Slim. technosaurus midori was too old. I need midori browser which was released in 2013 or even 2015 where HTML5 is fully implemented.

keniv

#35 Post by keniv »

@mistfire Have you given up on QtWeb that was suggested in an earlier post. I am using it now. I think it's about 8MB. Is this too big. I believe it's still supported so you should be able to get an up to date version. Here is their url http://www.qtweb.net/. I got the .pet on this forum but I can't remember where. If your interested I'll look for it.

Regards,

Ken.

mistfire

#36 Post by mistfire »

@keniv I tried qtweb, its a good browser however it does not support html5 video even with gstreamer installed.

mistfire

#37 Post by mistfire »

New iteration of xslacko-slim released:

Changelog
* gmtp replaced go-mtpfs and its gui. (Save disk space and works nicely of MTP devices)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/qo49q ... 70516r.iso

Pelo

However removing FFmpeg should be a bad choice, i think.

#38 Post by Pelo »

What i can say is that this X-slacko Slim succeeds playing My Dvds about football (futbol, soccer) world cups without trouble. That is not the case of some newest Puppies, Tahrpup and sons, who choose to delete FFmpeg and Mplayer,
Trim the fat does not mean prevent users to have fun :!:
X-slacko Slim until now keeps available what i need..
However removing FFmpeg should be a bad choice, i think.
XFmedia had no trouble this mornig playing my old Football DVDs..
Sure an XFCE Puppy with XFCE applications change the traditionnal Corned beef.. But don't forget Puppies are now still around 400 still in life, a 'walk on the wild side' would be worth the pain. Mistfire, it will be hard for you to do better than Saluki :!: Try it, yesYou Can :)
"Changing gstreamer-properties default output to "X Window System (No Xv)" (ximagesink) has solved the problem." Mp4 and avi fail with XFmedia, no dependancies missing.
XFmedia plays CD audio (titles Missing)
Attachments
xfmedia.jpg
xfmedia will read your DVds, parole, hum.. wait and see.
(37.24 KiB) Downloaded 1409 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sun 04 Sep 2016, 08:35, edited 9 times in total.

Pelo

QtWeb is really a good Browser

#39 Post by Pelo »

QtWeb is really a good Browser. i install it in old puppies to replace seamonkey fist age, without loose of functions. Compared with latest firefox, sure you will miss some stuff.
But nothing prevent sombody to replace QTWeb, is QtWeb is not enough for them.

Sure QtWeb is better than Midori, and better than Opera (always asking you questions in english to access sites, your answer will be always yes, so useless questions). Opera consider your adsl provider as untrusted.. (SFR in France is One of The Three most used ones. Refused by Opera, my god ! And it's Mine !)

Robert123

#40 Post by Robert123 »

Hello Mistfire,

first up thank you for a lovely pupplet built on a good base, very stable.

Midori is a good choice and I am posting from it now. Very fast on my Dell D620.

Only dissapointment is XFmedia's ability to play mp4's properly - very choppy and unwatchable. Haven't tried it with mp3 but should be fine. A little winge but mp4 playback is important for me. Online youtube video was great with html5.

Anyway nice work - don't know how to solve XFmedia problem as it seems small and not too ram hungry otherwise.