Updating programs installed from PPM

Booting, installing, newbie
mikegarcia

Updating programs installed from PPM

#1 Post by mikegarcia »

Hello

I have just a small question.

Imagine if i install one file through puppy packet manager. If months later the same file becomes updated using the same app, it will be updated alone (install the new version and remove the old one)?

Thanks

Mike

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

Basically yes.
If you update the Puppy Package Manager (PPM) repositories.
You may find a newer version of a program.
Usually, downloading and installing the newer version, will overwrite the older version.

Can not say 100% all the time this will happen.
It really depends on what the program is.
That newer program version may also require newer versions of other system files or programs. Those may not be available.
However, the PPM repositories are setup to support what should work in that version of Puppy.
Adding a program, as an update, is not usually done if that update will not work in that version of Puppy.

Some programs offer update ability built into the program.
Example:
Browsers usually have a built in update option in there menus.

Linux seems to constantly change in what a program, new version, may now need to operate. I guess some of this is driven by, we now need to support the latest stuff that is in the newest version of the Linux core files and programs.

I have learned, if it is not broken do not try to fix it.
If that original program version does what you need it to do. You do not need to have the latest version.
Really a newer version is needed only if it fixes a problem or adds a feature you need.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

poorguy

#3 Post by poorguy »

I have updated to newer programs only to find certain features removed. For whatever reason the developer decided that these features were no longer needed and removed them. Some features some of us are accustom to using and may need them and when this was the case I have had to go back to the previous version I had already been using. I agree if you have a program that is working for you stay with it as it is able to do what you are needing to do.