How to speed up Firefox

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
labbe5

How to speed up Firefox

#1 Post by labbe5 »

To speed up Firefox, one way is getting rid of IPv6, because translating domain names in IPv6 addresses is useless for most users.

Here's how to disable this functionality in Firefox : in about:config,

toggle network.dns.disableIPv6 to true.

If your connexion is slow, you should see a change in speed. Otherwise, you may see no speed change.

Ghostery, a Firefox addon, may well speed up Firefox, if your connexion is slow, because it gets rid of many trackers, and other nasty things, which consume precious bandwith.

An ad blocker will help too, such as Ublock, making your browser less ressource-hungry, especially if you visit the You Tube site, which is one of the worst offender in terms of trackers, Ublock often blocking up to 300 undesirable links.

Atle

#2 Post by Atle »

All of this comes with a trade off... If you disable trackers like with Privacy Badger and Ghostery(I trust the most in EFF/PB), you also miss out on content like comment fields etc.

While at about:config, its worth to mention that also to disable network prefetch, will prevent the firefox feature whereas its guesses what your about to do next while visiting a page and start to download whatever it thinks is good for you in the background.

In this way mobile users get ripped off a bit and disabling that will give you slower internet of on lowband, but more speed if on a good broadband.

In general I think RAM is the future of puppy and this will in case of ramdisk only, consume a lot of space.

Also "image block" is another firefox addon that does real image blocking and not just hiding the image as others might do. So that speeds up great as well.

Now noscripts, the king of addons does a great job as well, blocking near all kind of shit, but it gives you work and work in order to adjust pages to show content all the time.

Flashblock is also great and give you a lot more clean surfing as well.

Atle

Sailor Enceladus

#3 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

Another tip: Firefox 28 and Firefox 17ESR are snappier than the latest versions (and easier on RAM).

Atle

#4 Post by Atle »

but then again its a trade off.. some sites want even show up in them:-(

8Geee

#5 Post by 8Geee »

Thanks for that. Got my modem/router configured this way (no IPv6) until ISP says so.
After selecting true with close and re-open of FF browser, it is running a bit faster to open pages.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

tallboy

#6 Post by tallboy »

There is also network.dns.disablePrefetch, should be toggled to true.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... refetching
(which btw is a site well worth browsing, contains an incredible amount of information)

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

labbe5

speed tweaks

#7 Post by labbe5 »

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... speedyfox/

For more control over speed, you need to try Speed Tweaks. With this Firefox addon, you just need to click on Set Recommended Values For All Preferences; pipelining is included, and many more settings. Otherwise, you should do all modifications manually with about:config. Another button will reverse change to default.

From my experience , it has a positive impact on speed.

No need to install speed tweaks if you don't install an ad blocker, because adverts consume a large part of your bandwidth, You Tube being the worst offender, Ublock blocking up to 300 undesirable links.

tallboy

#8 Post by tallboy »

I had an unecspected issue while experimenting with the FF settings. I am member of a forum where there have been some complaints about frequent time-outs; you write an answer to a post, and when you try to submit it, you get the message that the connection has timed out. I know that most users in that forum use Windows/IE. I have never had any problems with FF in Puppy, but it suddenly happened to me, on several occasions, after experimening with various settings in about:config.
I shall try to recreate the problem, and report any findings, it is extremely annoying!
I also had problems while reading/writing email through my account at the Uni in Oslo. I can log into the service via any browser, but the program did not respond normally to mouse-clicks.

Another source that may steal time are bookmarks updates. I do not use bookmarks, as my history, cookies and everything else is wiped clean when FF closes. I have made a habit out of closing FF between diffferent site visits anyway, so no bookmarks are needed.

tallboy

Edit: I admit to being a bit old-fashioned, so my extensions look like this:
NO Google Analytics 0.6.1-signed.1-signed
Disable Hello, Pocket &Reader+ 0.4.4
Clean Links 2.7.1-signed.1-signed
Tabs on bottom 0.7.3
Easy Copy 2.7.0

My FF wakes up reasonably quick now...
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

labbe5

stopping GIFs from playing

#9 Post by labbe5 »

In about:config, type in search bar image.animation and next to it double-click on Normal to toggle it to None.

This will speed up page-loading time and save you some bandwidth.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: stopping GIFs from playing

#10 Post by Flash »

labbe5 wrote:In about:config, type in search bar image.animation and next to it double-click on Normal to toggle it to None.

This will speed up page-loading time and save you some bandwidth.
This made a huge difference in SeaMonkey (Quirky Werewolf 64 bit). Occasionally i visit a website that continuously loads so much junk in the browser page that it slows down my whole computer and SeaMonkey slows to a crawl. That hasn't happened since I changed image.animation to None in about:config :D

And I didn't have to restart SeaMonkey for the change to take effect. Presumably the same will be true if I turn it back to Normal to watch a GIF.

ASD

#11 Post by ASD »

Hi Flash et al,

SeaMonkey, Firefox and Pale Moon can use the versatile add-on PrefBar (e.g. per screen shot).

Using SeaMonkey (or possibly other browsers) tapping the Esc key should freeze animation, though re-tapping does not restart it.
Attachments
PrefBar.png
(59.03 KiB) Downloaded 337 times