Additional Software Forum: Know it, Use it, Help with it

Booting, installing, newbie
mikeslr

Additional Software Forum: Know it, Use it, Help with it

#1 Post by mikeslr »

Finding Additional Software. Puppy is free. But freedom has a price: that price is "taking responsibility." Puppy is a Do-Acracy. Each of us has the responsibility to do what he or she can. See my post about what you can do.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 188#650188.
Its short, (for me) and intentionally pithy.

mikesLr

Edit: 11/14/14: Having just revisited this thread and noting the well deserved criticism, I'd add that it was only intended to be a link to what I already had said. But as this post is a sticky, I'll save you some time by repeating it here:

"The Additional Software Sub-forum was re-organized to provide an index. But it doesn't work automatically or magically. Someone has to write a post on it describing an application and linking to the tread containing the download link of the application. Preferably, that someone would be the application's creator. But it could be any forum member.
Many applications are NOT distro-dependent. Some are Kernel dependent. But the only certain way to find out is to try an application in other than the Puplet used to build it...
If you have a favorite application --one that you alway install as it hasn't found its way among the applications provided by a Puplet Dev-- see if it's shows up on the Additional Software Sub-forum. If it hasn't, post about it. If it has, and it works well under a new Puplet build, post that information. That post will move the application to the top of the Additional Software Sub-Forum's Catgory Discussion tread and keep it within the public's short attention span. If it doesn't work well under a Puplet, post that in the tread of Puplet in which it doesn't work. That's the only way the Dev, and those testers who build applications, will know. Perhaps there's only some lib file missing: an easy fix which can turned into a pet to be installed along with the original application when it's to be used in the Puplet otherwise missing it. And that fact should be posted to the thread on the Additional Software Sub-Forum regarding the application. Or perhaps an entirely new build will be necessary, a new thread on the Sub-Forum started, with a link to it on the old thread.
How are those who can [fix or build desired apps] supposed to know if we don't tell them?"

To which I'd add: A quick way to find out if an application, or anything else Puppy related, already exists for a particular Pup, is to use Search provided at https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643 ... #gsc.tab=0. For example, if you are interested in lxterminal for Slacko, type in "lxterminal Slacko" without the quotes. After finding an lxterminal which works, see if the pet or SFS already shows up on the Additional Software index. If not, please add it.
Last edited by mikeslr on Tue 15 May 2018, 23:07, edited 3 times in total.

canin

#2 Post by canin »

hi mikeslr,

i have to admit, i had problems with understanding your post there.
my english isnt the best, so maybe my language skills add to my lack of knowledge about puppylinux and the murga fora.

am i right with summarizing like this?

all (including new) members should help with informations about the pets on the forum.

0) you can post in the forum-index-thread, when the software isnt listed there.
1) when you downloaded and tried a pet, and it works: leave a comment in the original thread.
2) when it doesnt work, leave a comment in the original thread. maybe also with posting missing libs, failure messages, symptoms and your puppy version.
3) when you found the software somewhere else, and it works, post a new thread about it, including which puppy version you are using.

ad 1) its nice to know, when a software works with a puppy version, several other puppy versions or a kernel version. everyone can be interested in additional software, hoping that it works in several or all puppy versions. it updates the thread and bumps it, making it easier to find for others.
ad 2) some developers may be interested to solve this problem. maybe its also very easy to solve the problem. so you will have the additional software, everyone else too! maybe a developer will compile a totally new build, which will work. everyone profits.
ad 3) reason 1 and 2 together! maybe you have found some very useful tool which works on many puppies.

ebisu

#3 Post by ebisu »

Last edited by ebisu on Mon 01 Aug 2016, 11:54, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

Don't delete this post, please.

#4 Post by Pelo »

Don't delete this post, please. Non mais !

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

I won't delete it, but should it remain a sticky? Perhaps other threads deserve to take its place, or there are just too many stickies. They seem to be largely ignored. :(

Rattlehead

#6 Post by Rattlehead »

Hey guys, this reminds me... I've been recently trying to make some modifications in the Puppy Wiki, so maybe this is the right place to ask about this: what role you think the wiki should have regarding this kind of information?

My opening, uninformed hypothesis: programs get actualized, pets get renewed, so that information is very dynamic, and it's easier to update via a forum thread. On its side, the pertinent wiki page, if it exists, should ideally include more general information 'this program does this and that', plus a link to the forum thread for the latest news. Am I right with this model?

As I think of it, have a doubt, though; let's say a program has not been updated by the developers in 2 years, as sometimes happens, and then a new version appears and someone makes a pet. According to my above theory, the thing to do would be adding an entry to the thread. But there is this law in forums, for some reason that I never understood, that says that it is bad practice to 'resurrect' an old thread. What's the problem with doing that, when the info is pertinent and it would avoid having to open a new thread, scattering the info into different sources, etc?

If I'm not getting this right, what other working model could be used?

Just my 2 cents

ebisu

#7 Post by ebisu »

Last edited by ebisu on Mon 01 Aug 2016, 11:54, edited 1 time in total.

hamoudoudou

always post at the end of a topic

#8 Post by hamoudoudou »

I search my answer in the forum. If i find it, that's ok.
Perhaps should we always post at the end of a topic to keep it alive.
Whatever successfull or not. Just an idea.

Ottoplay

Re: Additional Software Forum: Know it, Use it, Help with it

#9 Post by Ottoplay »

Gentlemen and Ladies,
I'm a n00b to this forum, but an experienced technical writer. Trying to read this was difficult, so I chose to rewrite it so I could understand what was being said. Then I realized my own request: POST IT.
mikeslr wrote:Finding Additional Software. Puppy is free. But freedom has a price: that price is "taking responsibility." Puppy is a Do-Acracy. Each of us has the responsibility to do what he or she can. See my post about what you can do.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 188#650188.
Its short, (for me) and intentionally pithy.

mikesLr
(snip, topic rewritten)

The Additional Software Sub-forum was re-organized to provide an index. It does not work automatically or magically. We need your post: describe the application, provide a download link. Preferably, you would be the application creator, friend, or forum member.

Most applications are NOT* distro-dependent. Some are Kernel dependent. It's the trial and error methods to test if the Puplet works in a different application.

Post information about your favorite application, that's not listed by a Puplet Dev, and it's not in the Additional Software Sub-forum.

Post when your favorite application works well under a new Puplet build

That post moves to the top of the Additional Software Sub-Forum's Category Discussion thread and keeps it within the public's short attention span.

Post If it doesn't work well under a Puplet, post it in the thread of Puplet in which it doesn't work.

Posting information about your experiences is the only way the Dev, and those testers who build applications, will learn, possibly assist.

Post the discovery too: perhaps there's only some lib file missing: an easy fix which can turned into a pet to be installed along with the original application when it's to be used in the Puplet otherwise missing it.

Post the solution to that thread on the Additional Software Sub-Forum.

Post that an entirely new build was necessary. Post a new thread on the Sub-Forum with a link to it on the old thread.

Communication is necessary to share experiences so that others, strangers, can assist you.

To which I'd add: A quick way to find out if an application, or anything else Puppy related, already exists for a particular Pup, is to use Search provided at http://wellminded.net63.net/.

For example, if you are interested in lxterminal for Slacko, type in "lxterminal Slacko" without the quotes. After finding an lxterminal which works, see if the pet or SFS shows up on the Additional Software index. If not, Post about it.

In shorter words: share your experiences: PIP, post it please.

canin wrote:hi mikeslr,

i have to admit, i had problems with understanding your post there.
my english isnt the best, so maybe my language skills add to my lack of knowledge about puppylinux and the murga fora.

am i right with summarizing like this?
(snip, topic rewritten)

To improve information, all new and ancient, members oughta *enjoy* sharing their experiences:

1. Post here when you find software not listed there, include URL.

2. Post when and if it doesn't work, share with us your experiences, provide missing libs, failure messages, symptoms, your hardware and puppy version.

3. Post when you find software that works outside of the typical puppy realm elsewhere, share your experiences, include puppy version.

To improve user experience, we all need to know when software works and with what puppy version. All are interested in knowing the different software products that work with puppy. Always include the puppy version.

Explain your software, your configuration, puppy version. It is probable a developer will create another version to solve your problem. Your problem is not unique; developers, amateurs, and beginners share similar problems, the new puppy build may solve much.

Please share what you discover: tools and applications that work with a puppy version.

[Not three months past, I had a recruiter leave a message about a contract. He spoke rapid English that sounded like "rat-a-tat-a-tat-a-tat, pause for a deep breath," continue "rat-a-tat-a-tat-a-tat, okay?" It was not English nor any other language I've heard on this planet; it was two minutes long. Wish I'd saved it. Poing of this story? White space works.]

april

#10 Post by april »

God what a load of bunkum to stick at the beginning of the beginners forum --Can it.

mikeslr

Come up with a better idea

#11 Post by mikeslr »

Package Management is Puppy's Achilles' heel.

When I wrote the first post on this thread there was a question about the utility of re-organizing and indexing the Additional Software Forum. There was, and always is, the question of how a user of a specific Pup can find applications not included by the Dev in that Pup's repo which will function under that Pup.

And, in my humble opinion, when dealing with Beginners it is best assume they know nothing, and remember that they have been acclimated to operating systems which have package managers that hold their hands while limiting their choices.

Spend some time answering questions by Newbies, and you'll come away with the feeling that they've “jumped right in

april

#12 Post by april »

Its still a load of bunkum and getting worse with each post

Pelo

Bunkum, what does that mean ?

#13 Post by Pelo »

Bunkum, what does that mean ? blague foutaise, OK understood.
Yes of course a Linux distribution which does not distributes applications would be a brain storming for programers, a Bunkum. A useless thing. Like an home bike for musculation, not for riding outside.
Sure a complete review of apps would be necessary and stuck together in the Puppy packages managers again.

oui

#14 Post by oui »

In this thread an user did describe his problems with supplementary software (LibreOffice, also a good example a different other solutions can't always supply the same power as LibreOffice (*1 ):

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=116825

(*1 see my old thread concerning the use of performent LibreOffice power to reproduce and use printed official forms in LibreOffice in PuppyLinux: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88512

in this other thread how to replace a build through a newer one for great app's like mozilla or office builds:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=116843