XenialDog (Ubuntu 16.04 'Xenial Xerus' LTS, 32-bit)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mcewanw

#201 Post by mcewanw »

solo wrote:Though I see how the snap format has advantages from a developers point of view, there are also a definate downside to it.
The problem is of course, that snap packages remain self contained when installed, including all dependencies.
This means there's a whole lot of redundancy (see how I'm trying to avoid the word 'bloat') being created, and this will express itself in drive space.
Yes, I agree, and commented about the bloat aspects in my post here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 940#908940

EDIT2: I've since added comment to above post about de-duplication, which seems to offer shared libs possibility, though I've not read up about the details as yet.

William

EDIT: By the way, the laptop I mainly use is 64bit capable core-II duo machine, but it's around 8 or 9 years old now I think, and has 2 GB RAM and no hard-drive (booting from frugal install on 16GB SD card usually, so relatively low on resources generally). However, it is true that such resource limitations are tending to vanish on newer machines and I believe snap applications, being self-contained in terms of libs used, probably result in a more stable system in the sense that an app crashing won't probably cause other apps to also crash (?)
github mcewanw

mcewanw

lxterminal as roxterm replacement?

#202 Post by mcewanw »

Hi Fred,

Since roxterm is no longer going to be developed because of major issues with gtk3, I suggest future to use lxterminal (along with installing xdg-utils so you can open url links using Ctrl-left-click from terminal). Though a bigger download, it seems to be worth it in terms of running efficiency.

I did some tests with sakura and lxterminal versus roxterm, with four terminals open and lxterminal using about half the RAM than roxterm (and also only needs one lxterminal process running to create the four instances). Sakura isn't so good and opens new process (each with twice the RAM) for each terminal instance.

William
github mcewanw

Pelo

Users shall use the terminal made available

#203 Post by Pelo »

Users shall use the terminal made available. For us, it's not so important.
Wireless trouble is solved, is it.
XenialDog runs fine, at home. However i will return to Puppy Linux, Dogs versions seem so hard to understand for non linux programmers.
Programming seems the only reason of using XenialDog. That is not true, Xeniald DOg allows to use applications not yet compiled in Puppy Linux. But how to feed back here ? This advantage seems of no interest in this topic.

fredx181

#204 Post by fredx181 »

William wrote:Since roxterm is no longer going to be developed because of major issues with gtk3, I suggest future to use lxterminal
Personally I need a terminal that supports drag and drop (e.g. for to drop a script), lxterminal doesn't support that.
It's a pity roxterm uses so much RAM compared to lxterminal, maybe I'll switch to xfce4-terminal to have included, but it would take much more space (and I didn't test for RAM usage yet)

Fred

fredx181

#205 Post by fredx181 »

Hi All,

*** WifiBox ***
A simple networkmanager, added now to XenialDog repository.
For those having trouble connecting to wireless by using frisbee this might be a good light alternative.
(borrowed from Slitaz but with many modifications I made, thanks to William (mcewanw) for bringing it up)

Two packages:
- wifibox, install:

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get install wifibox
(or through Synaptic Package Manager)
It's using udhcpc client (part of busybox) and yad for the GUI
Connects very quick.

- wifibox-dhcpcd, install:

apt-get update
apt-get install wifibox-dhcpcd
(or through Synaptic Package Manager)
This is using dhcpcd client.
Possible advantages:
-it supports the "dropwait" option.
When you're having wireless dropouts (like me, probably it's because of my router) it reconnects in a second instead of going through the whole leasing process again.
- Wired and wireless connection both at the same time (udhcpc doesn't seem to support that, it's one or the other)

Also here's another package with "tazpanel" included (using udhcpc) (not in repository, but can be downloaded and installed)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/363 ... 2_i386.deb
Install from terminal:

dpkg -i wifibox-tazpanel_1.0.2_i386.deb
Pressing the Preferences button at the wifibox GUI it will load tazpanel control center (using default_web-browser).
Thanks again to William for collecting the required files from Slitaz.
Note: A number of options that are specific for Slitaz won't work (that why it's added as no-repo package)

Added to Changes and fixes list

Fred

iki_sure

#206 Post by iki_sure »

Hi.. Newbie here. Igot out of range in monitor in booting. Please help. Booting from puppy, mintpup and other is fine. Only from xenialdog igot this problem.

fredx181

#207 Post by fredx181 »

Hi All,

DebianDog website launched (includes similar projects, such as XenialDog), see more info here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 585#911585

Fred

mcewanw

pet convert to deb wrongly

#208 Post by mcewanw »

Hi Fred,

I can't remember if I already mentioned this or if you already know:

In XenialDog LTS 32-bit, which I remain currently using, the right click menu item in pcmanfm "Convert pet to deb" creates deb package with system amd64 in its Debian Control so on install deb attempt get:

package architecture (amd64) does not match system (i386)
That would be an unwelcome surprise to Puppy users who are trying out XenialDog and wanting to convert some little pet utilities.

I don't know if there is similar issue in other DebianDog distributions.

William
github mcewanw

trio

#209 Post by trio »

Hi,

I am able to boot until it gave error when starting X. it gave up.

Chip description:
5.0 VGA compatible controller: AMD/ATI [Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.] RS480M [Mobility Radeon Xpress 200]
oem: ATI MOBILITY RADEON Xpress 200G Series

X Server: Xorg Driver used: radeon
X.Org version: 1.14.3
dimensions: 1280x768 pixels (338x203 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

Any help? Thanks

fredx181

#210 Post by fredx181 »

William wrote:In XenialDog LTS 32-bit, which I remain currently using, the right click menu item in pcmanfm "Convert pet to deb" creates deb package with system amd64 in its Debian Control so on install deb attempt get:

Code:
package architecture (amd64) does not match system (i386)
Oops, thanks William, should be fixed in next ISO.
To fix manually edit /usr/local/bin/pet2deb , change line 78 to:

Architecture: i386
@trio, sorry, I can't test that.
The package "xserver-xorg-video-radeon" is installed and should support RS480 chip.

Fred

mcewanw

sneak preview of ddogxcap

#211 Post by mcewanw »

Put in relevant own applications thread, since preparing for possible public release:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=914276

William

fredx181

#212 Post by fredx181 »

Hi William,

So that's you on a ship presenting your screencast program.. very original :)

If you could save Toni from the sharks, first give him a little rest of course, but then the next day punish him for his misbehavior by letting him scrub the deck :wink:
(but I might be referring at the wrong Toni..., excuse me then for misunderstanding,, punish me, I will climb the mast!)

Looking forward to test your program, please give some explanation how you configure the program to show yourself in the bottom right corner.
(although I don't have a webcam at this moment I (and maybe others) like to know how to do it)

Fred

mcewanw

#213 Post by mcewanw »

fredx181 wrote: If you could save Toni from the sharks, first give him a little rest of course, but then the next day punish him for his misbehavior by letting him scrub the deck :wink:
(but I might be referring at the wrong Toni..., excuse me then for misunderstanding,, punish me, I will climb the mast!)

Looking forward to test your program, please give some explanation how you configure the program to show yourself in the bottom right corner.
(although I don't have a webcam at this moment I (and maybe others) like to know how to do it)

Fred
Hi Fred,

Answered your comments in other thread in case someone wanted similar info:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 374#914374

P.S. Get away from the bar and back into the 'boiler room'.

Cheers, William
github mcewanw

mcewanw

video2audio-extract (really, video2audio-x)

#214 Post by mcewanw »

Hi Fred,

My new screencast/recorder app is close to final testing. Because I had all the codecs and containers I was interested in already selectable in there I had included a function to extract audio from any video. However, I decided that kind of post-processing was better done in an external app and I remembered you had created video2audio-gui-x. Looking into that further, I noted you had a commandline drivable version video2audio-x (via video2audio-extract), so I have assigned a button to that, which passes the filename on to it, in my new app (actually the user can change configfile to use a different app for that button should they wish).

Anyway, I plan to release both a deb file and a dotpet of my new app. That's not a problem because I'm arranged the code such that the button simply doesn't appear if your app isn't installed (on Puppy, for example). However, it would be great if you could also release a dotpet of your video2audio extracting scripts in case someone wishes to install on Puppy to gain that extra functionality from my own app. No hurry, and up to you of course - I might release a different app later, since i already coded similar plus extra similar functionality for video (the functions I took out of my new app), but to be honest, I can't be bothered coding much more for the moment - if at all...

I just have one minor fixable issue to address that I know of in my screencast app before some final hopefully rigorous testing on my part before releasing it into the jungle.

William
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#215 Post by mcewanw »

Hi Fred,

Another thing I forgot to mention. I don't know if you noticed that Rox filemanager behaves a bit better than pcmanfm when it comes to copy and pasting into gtkdialog entry box widgets (in fact, that works fine with Rox). With pcmanfm, if you drag and copy, for example, a video file into video2audio-gui-x source video box you end up with something like:

file:///dirname/filename.ext followed by ctrl chars x0D and x0A

and that doesn't work when you press OK to convert (application quits). Doing the same with Rox correctly puts /dirname/filename.ext into the source box and all works fine when then pressing OK to extract mp3. Of course, all works fine for selecting file using browse button or simply typing path/filename.ext in manually.

An unrelated issue I noted: Xenial Dog gpicview has a problem with animated gifs (seems to just jump from first frame to the last maybe?) - they play fine in MintPup gpicview.

William
github mcewanw

fredx181

#216 Post by fredx181 »

Hi William
Anyway, I plan to release both a deb file and a dotpet of my new app. That's not a problem because I'm arranged the code such that the button simply doesn't appear if your app isn't installed (on Puppy, for example). However, it would be great if you could also release a dotpet of your video2audio extracting scripts in case someone wishes to install on Puppy to gain that extra functionality from my own app.
Do you mind making the .pet yourself?
It's been sometime ago since I made a pet so you might do a better job at it.
BTW, I don't know if the video2audio scripts will work with both ffmpeg/avconv or/and older version of ffmpeg.
An unrelated issue I noted: Xenial Dog gpicview has a problem with animated gifs (seems to just jump from first frame to the last maybe?) - they play fine in MintPup gpicview.
Yes, I noticed that, on DebianDog Jessie gpicview has also a problem with .gif files, but different, moving much to fast.

Fred

mcewanw

#217 Post by mcewanw »

fredx181 wrote: Do you mind making the .pet yourself?
It's been sometime ago since I made a pet so you might do a better job at it.
BTW, I don't know if the video2audio scripts will work with both ffmpeg/avconv or/and older version of ffmpeg.
No problem, I'll make a pet for it. For the moment, we can just make a note along with the pet to say which ffmpeg or avconv it will run with. Later, I 'might' make something similar or maybe with video extract and combine audio/video functionality too.

William
github mcewanw

Belham

increasing size of current "casper-rw" file

#218 Post by Belham »

Hi Fred,

Is this an "ok" procedure for re-sizing my 'casper-rw' file on a XenialDog partition install on a SD card (I copied over all the Xenialdog files from a live running CD into the partition, and the grub4dos entry of casper-boot persistent (in a casper-rw file) makes xenialdog load & run great):

1. fire up another puppy (any will do, but will stick with a 32-bit just in case)

2. plug in my SD card that has the XenialDog32 partition with the 'casper-rw' file in it

3. open a terminal and change directory (CD) to the location of the casper-rw file in that partition

4. type the following into the terminal window and press enter

dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=##### >> casper-rw

(replaced #### with the size in MB I want to increase the original casper-rw size by. For example, I currently have a 500mb casper-rw file, and want to increase it by 300mb, so I just type in "count=300" in the above dd line??)

5. after all the above, in same terminal window, after the dd line finishes, type the following and press enter

resize2fs casper-rw

Will this give me a larger casper-rw loop file to use for saving my persistent changes? Or am I overlooking something/anything??

Thanks!

P.S. I really, really like you stuck with FF 27.01 as it is like 3 times faster loading and using it, than the current 47 FF iterations

fredx181

#219 Post by fredx181 »

Belham wrote:dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=##### >> casper-rw

(replaced #### with the size in MB I want to increase the original casper-rw size by. For example, I currently have a 500mb casper-rw file, and want to increase it by 300mb, so I just type in "count=300" in the above dd line??)

5. after all the above, in same terminal window, after the dd line finishes, type the following and press enter

resize2fs casper-rw
Yes, should be fine that way.
There's a (gui) script in /usr/local/bin, btw,, so typing in terminal:

resize-save
Will run it. Note that the size to enter is the total desired size to become.
It should be in the Menu (as other Debiandogs have, but I forgot to add it in Xenialdog menu).
P.S. I really, really like you stuck with FF 27.01 as it is like 3 times faster loading and using it, than the current 47 FF iterations
Yes, I like that version too, it's also a lot smaller than the latest versions (and not gtk3 dependent).

Fred

Belham

#220 Post by Belham »

That's great there's a script there, did not realize that.

Thanks, Fred!!