Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 21 Oct 2019, 01:10
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
LazY Puppy Version 5
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 3 [34 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
augras

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jun 2016, 12:16    Post subject:  

Hi Lazy Puppy,
The screenshot are below.
But i think i made a big errot at the first boot : i made all updates by quickpet !
I will try without update.
Philippe
capture25765.png
 Description   
 Filesize   14.63 KB
 Viewed   587 Time(s)

capture25765.png

capture23413.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  capture23413.png 
Filesize  55.98 KB 
Downloaded  209 Time(s) 
capture19417.png
 Description   
 Filesize   28.61 KB
 Viewed   576 Time(s)

capture19417.png

augras

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jun 2016, 13:42    Post subject:  

It's the same thing with a new installation without update !
Philippe
LazY Puppy

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jun 2016, 18:22    Post subject:  

Ok, I see the problem.

You did obviously use tahr 6.0.5 to install LazY Puppy 5?

But if you don't install from cd booting you need to run tahr 6.0.2 to install LazY Puppy 5. This one is based on tahr 6.0.2.

As you can see there is directory add in directory ConfigData. Also those .cfg files are still named as default-xxx files. These files should be renamed as well as those files inside of directory add and some of these .cfg files as well as this directory add should be gone after installation was finished.

Installation directory at install partition should be named tahr_6.0.2 where it is named tahr_6.0.5 in your installation.

Attached is a screenshot of how content of directory ConfigData should look if installation was successful.

Please, can you tell me, how did you exactly install LazY Puppy 5?

Did you also had problems booting from cd - like oui has had a problem?

Thanks.
DirectoryConfigData.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   48.76 KB
 Viewed   557 Time(s)

DirectoryConfigData.jpg

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) Laughing

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! Wink
LazY Puppy

PostPosted: Mon 20 Jun 2016, 21:58    Post subject:  

In addition to my previous post I found the wallpapers for config file tahr_6.0.2-Music.cfg missing in the .iso file.

They should have been in /data-bootdrive/My-Files/Wallpaper, Though there is no directory Music - see image.

So the related boot menu entry probably may result in a broken PuppyPin after X is running.

My download-/upload-traffic is out of range, so I'm at appr. 12kb until next month and can't upload the images (around 6 mega byte archive) until I re-charged my prepaid card for the gprs usb modem.

However any else wallpapers are existing.
MissingWallpapers.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   28.18 KB
 Viewed   538 Time(s)

MissingWallpapers.jpg

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) Laughing

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! Wink
augras

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun 2016, 12:12    Post subject:  

Hi,
you ara right : i install from my tahrpup6.0.5 !
And i don't use a cd : just open the iso and install to an external usb disk.
I don't burn a cd around to years ago : puppy linux is magic for that... and a lot other things.
Il will download again tahrpup6.02 and try from it.
No problem for the background.
Philippe
augras

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun 2016, 12:36    Post subject:  

I have kept an old install of 6.0.2 : just open the iso and run the script to install on sdb1.
But it doesn't work !
See the screenshots.
Philippe
capture3617.png
 Description   
 Filesize   26.7 KB
 Viewed   514 Time(s)

capture3617.png

capture2656.png
 Description   
 Filesize   14.68 KB
 Viewed   512 Time(s)

capture2656.png

capture632.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  capture632.png 
Filesize  60.59 KB 
Downloaded  200 Time(s) 
LazY Puppy

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun 2016, 16:37    Post subject:  

If you just open/mount the .iso and trying to install from that location, there is a big chance installation will fail.

Open/mount an .iso file will return a weird path like e.g.: /mnt/+mnt+sde3+Linux-Images+Tahr-602CE+tahr-6.0.2_PAE.iso/.

The installer script wasn't checked to work from such a path.

Just open/mount the .iso file and copy its content to the installation directory of the your kept tahr 6.0.2 installation (make backup first, if needed - or just rename initrd-orig.gz to initrd.gz to get back to original after installation is done) and boot this kept tahr 6.0.2 installation. I think it needs the modified initrd.gz to be booted (notice the initrd.gz files inside the .iso file).

I have tested the installer script two ways only:

1. booting and installing from .iso burnt to cd
2. booting and installing from tahr 6.0.2 installation (usb hd)

Both of them were successful - several times (though, both of them are booted by the modified initrd.gz).

I may have some misleading / misunderstanding information in opening post Rolling Eyes (will update after you had success)...

Don't use a save file when booting the kept tahr installation, boot RAM only (PUPMODE=5) !!!

Thanks.

Edit:

Switch to FR interface after booting to install LazY Puppy 5 to FR interface by default !!!

augras

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun 2016, 13:51    Post subject:  

Hi, EUREKA ! it works !
So i can see all your menus and icons and make a better translation.
You have made a real great work and i think it's the better way for a puppy.
But there are some problems.
How do you keep the parameters for a software ? For example i try pdfsam, get it in french... but after a restart it is again in german. I can't imagine that you don't have a solution for that.
I think i will have a lot of questions : there are a lot of new things.
Philippe
LazY Puppy

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun 2016, 14:51    Post subject:  

Thanks for the feedback, augras / Philippe!

augras wrote:
Hi, EUREKA ! it works !
So i can see all your menus and icons and make a better translation.
You have made a real great work and i think it's the better way for a puppy.
But there are some problems.
How do you keep the parameters for a software ? For example i try pdfsam, get it in french... but after a restart it is again in german. I can't imagine that you don't have a solution for that.
I think i will have a lot of questions : there are a lot of new things.
Philippe

Good to know that it works - makes me really happy! Very Happy

So now I can show/explain how to configure things and how to make settings persistent. You may not believe, though: (almost?) everything (as far as I could test!) can be made persistent!

The main thing for everything needed to be persistent and not being covered by the T.O.P.L.E.S.S. system sfs modules (you know, the additional xxx_tahr_6.0.2.sfs modules) is the Configuration SFS Module - or just config sfs.

After changing pdfsam to french language there is directory:
- /root/.pdfsam
which contains:
- gui-config.xml
- pdfsam-config.xml

So, you have two options to keep these settings persistent. First one is the config sfs module which I will explain next - but first let me explain how to do this by a config file (you know, those ones in ConfigData).

Persistent settings for pdfsam by config files:

These config files containing two mean entries (near to the end of the file):

- MYSYMLINKSINLIST
- MYSYMLINKSOUTLIST

Open directory My-Files at the boot partition of the usb flash drive.
Make a directory pdfsam and make a copy of gui-config.xml
and pdfsam-config.xml into that directory e.g. /mnt/sdb1/My-Files/pdfsam.

Open the preferred config file to edit.

Now change MYSYMLINKSINLIST="" to MYSYMLINKSINLIST="/root/.pdfsam"
Now change MYSYMLINKSOUTLIST="" to MYSYMLINKSOUTLIST="My-Files/pdfsam"

Note: I think there are already directories added for the use of the Trash and the T.O.P.L.E.S.S. ClipBoard (for files and dirs only). If so, just add to that list.

That way you can just symlink automatically everything you want to a directory of the usb flash drive, use commas ( , ) to separate files and/or directories - which could be even different by different config files (e.g. for different languages in use etc.pp).

Notice the missing leading slash ( / ) at MYSYMLINKSOUTLIST when symlink goes to a location at boot partition of the usb flash drive !!!

You can also use e.g. MYSYMLINKSOUTLIST="/mnt/sda1/My-Files/pdfsam" to symlink to completely different location - though the target directory / file needs to be already existing !!!

Save the config file back and use it at next boot.

Persistent settings for pdfsam by config sfs:

The LogOut-GUI includes new buttons Save and Reboot plus Save and Poweroff (or similar to that, I'm in DE interface). Just click one of those buttons and a GUI appears to create easily a Configuration SFS Module (or config sfs).

At next boot pdfsam should be persistent (let me know/see the results).

In menu Wizard Box --> SFS P.L.U.S. is two menu entries to create a config sfs and to just to save current settings to the current config sfs in use (Note: I had changed this lately, so probably this is to be found in menu T.O.P.L.E.S.S.).

Regarding pdfsam sfs being a java program that needs java installed:

Assuming you did start pdfsam from its menu entry, so am I right to say, it has downloaded the LP2_PDFSaM-2.2.1.sfs as well as the LP2_jre-1.7u13-i586.sfs and stored both of them into directory Modules at boot partition?

Did it start immediately or did you get message about wrong md5sum and needed to start pdfsam again from its menu entry?

Please, let me know !!! Smile

Another mean thing how this pdfsam is getting to be able to start and run immediately even though, it is a java program and therefor it needs java installed - which isn't installed by default . Neither in tahr 6.0.2 nor in the resulting LazY Puppy 5 (which doesn't change the puppy_tahr_6.0.2.sfs permanetly!).

If you have already loaded the pdfsam sfs go to /initrd and browse to its pup_roX directory (X is just a number). Make Rox showing hidden files and you will notice a hidden directory /.LazYPuppySFSData which contains some directories and files. Them mean one here ist directory SFSDependencies which contains several files like: LP2_PDFSaM-2.2.1.sfs.tahr.6.0.2.dependencies.

Open this file in a text editor and you will find an entry: LP2_jre-1.7u13-i586.sfs.

If this LP2_jre-1.7u13-i586.sfs is found in directory Modules at the boot partition of the usb flash drive, it will load automatically after the pdfsam sfs is loaded.

Best of all: you can define such dependent sfs modules to each sfs module you want just by right-click option. Very Happy

Worst of all: you need to do this for each sfs module and for each LazY Puppy 5 separately. Crying or Very sad

Regarding your translations:

I have used them to build the full files (as you did just get necessary snippets) and included them into my local langpack.sfs (which is used to build the one for tahr). If you are interested I could repackage them for you the include in your langpack_tahr_6.0.2.sfs.

Thanks for keep trying T.O.P.L.E.S.S. LazY Puppy 5 and testings! Cool

Quote:
I think i will have a lot of questions

Just let them roll into here... Laughing

LazY Puppy

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jun 2016, 19:05    Post subject:  

Hi.

Me one, LazY Puppy, RSH wrote:
Persistent settings for pdfsam by config files:

These config files containing two mean entries (near to the end of the file):

- MYSYMLINKSINLIST
- MYSYMLINKSOUTLIST

Open directory My-Files at the boot partition of the usb flash drive.
Make a directory pdfsam and make a copy of gui-config.xml
and pdfsam-config.xml into that directory e.g. /mnt/sdb1/My-Files/pdfsam.

Open the preferred config file to edit.

Now change MYSYMLINKSINLIST="" to MYSYMLINKSINLIST="/root/.pdfsam"
Now change MYSYMLINKSOUTLIST="" to MYSYMLINKSOUTLIST="My-Files/pdfsam"

This task -of course- needs to be much improved to make it somehow more easy to use for a user.
So I thought about a solution to achieve such without the need to:

- create directories manually
- copy/move some files around
- editing a config file in text editor

A few minutes ago I'd finished a Rox right-click action where one can submit a directory to a small GUI presenting the right-clicked directory in one entry and in another entry presenting a pre-built path to make a symbolic link into directory My-Files at boot partition.

Example:

- submitted dir: /root/.pdfsam
- pre-built path: My-Files/.pdfsam

So it creates directory e.g. /mnt/sdb1/My-Files/.pdfsam and content of /root/.pdfsam is copied into /mnt/sdb1/My-Files/.pdfsam.
It removes directory /root/.pdfsam.
A symbolic link /root/.pdfsam will be created, pointing to directory /mnt/sdb1/My-Files/.pdfsam.

Just by two mouse clicks (right-click and GUI).

ToDo:

- making the GUI remain active
- make it usable for right-clicked files
- analyzing directory /root (from /initrd/pup_rw/root)
- presenting a combobox list for the results of this analysis
- function to create comfortably symbolic links from selection of this combobox list

The Configuration File in use is updated automatically.

Pelo

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun 2016, 04:53    Post subject: shut down, (kernel panic !!!).  

TOPLESS installed, Some problems at shut down, (kernel panic !!!).
I will precise later, i translate first topic, perhaps answers are yet provided.

LazY Puppy

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun 2016, 09:18    Post subject: Re: shut down, (kernel panic !!!).  

Pelo wrote:
TOPLESS installed, Some problems at shut down, (kernel panic !!!).
I will precise later, i translate first topic, perhaps answers are yet provided.

Are you sure replying to LazY Puppy 5 (this topic) or did you meant to reply to the T.O.P.L.E.S.S. ?

augras

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun 2016, 09:35    Post subject:  

Hi Rainer,
Thanks a lot for your answers.
I first try with a config sfs... but it doesn't work ! A config sfs file is created but seems to not be load automatically and when i load it by hand my pdfsam is still in german !
I will now try with the config files.

When i clic to use pdfsam the first time i get the message with wrong md5sum. I have two directories name module : Module and Modules ; the sfs, pdfsam and jre are in Module directory, not in Modules.

I would like to get the new langpack.sfs to work to a better translation : now i can see what i have translated and try to make it better.

I'm sure your new work with only right clic will be very useful for the users.
I can help you only for translation and tests.
There are a lot of things to translate and if i can i will help you to do that. Your work is really the good way for a puppy : no save file/folder, each software by sfs but personal parameters are register. It's not yet useful for everybody and french translation will be necessary for french people. A more simple way to keep the parameters, like the right clic you describe, is the next step.
I'm going to test to save my parameters with config file.
Philippe
LazY Puppy

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun 2016, 10:57    Post subject:  

augras wrote:
I first try with a config sfs... but it doesn't work ! A config sfs file is created but seems to not be load automatically and when i load it by hand my pdfsam is still in german !

Can I see a screenshot of installation directory / boot directory (where the config_tahr_6.0.2-xxx.sfs is stored)?
Can you upload the config_tahr_6.0.2-xxx.sfs (probably at datafilehost.com) so that I can download and analyze?
Please show me the content of the boot menu entry that you've been using when booting after creating the config sfs.

If this used boot menu entry (in menu.lst or menu-tahr_6.0.2.lst) contains lpconfigsfs=no it will not load a configuration sfs.
If this used boot menu entry (in menu.lst or menu-tahr_6.0.2.lst) contains pconfig=no it will not load a configuration file.

Quote:
I have two directories name module : Module and Modules ; the sfs, pdfsam and jre are in Module directory, not in Modules.

That's somehow strange as directory Modules should be renamed to Module only when installing LazY Puppy 5 under DE interface.

Do you have also directory Dateien and directory My-Files?

Edit: Ok, I think I see the problem. Directory Module seems to be created when downloading the pdfsam and jre .sfs files as I created the RunScripts in DE interface and I do have directory Module in DE.

Copy anything from directory Module into directory Modules. Remove directory Module and make it a symbolic link to directory Modules. This should work so far - until I found a solution for this.

augras

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jun 2016, 12:30    Post subject:  

The link to the sfs :http://augras.eu/bozon/index.php?f=1576eaff9c56a9
The screenshot is in attachment.
The menu lst lines :
Code:
title LazY Puppy 5 - tahr 6.0.2 (RAM, Config File: Landscape) \n T.O.P.L.E.S.S., Config File Landscape \n Default System, no SFS Modules loaded. \n Wallpaper: Landscape California
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies /tahr_6.0.2/initrd.gz
  kernel /tahr_6.0.2/vmlinuz pmessages=splash pconfig=Landscape lpusersfs=yes psubdir=tahr_6.0.2 pmedia=usbflash pfix=ram
  initrd /tahr_6.0.2/initrd.gz

If lpusersfs=yes is on no it changes anything.
I just have the directory My Files.
I have made a symlink name Module to Modules after copy the files.
Philippe
capture23014.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  capture23014.png 
Filesize  98.04 KB 
Downloaded  228 Time(s) 
Page 2 of 3 [34 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: