Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 02 Apr 2020, 15:47
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
tahrpup 6.0, 6.0.2 & 6.0.5 CE
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 50 of 56 [832 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 Next
rockedge

PostPosted: Tue 17 May 2016, 10:21    Post subject:  

It is this: I have a an old DELL tower it runs tahr 6.0.5 for an OS.
There is a Canon printer attached to it. In another room sits a HP network printer. There are several other machines running either UPUP 3.9.9.2 or tahr 6.+ CE these machines are Apache2,MySQL,PHP ZoneMinder servers.

All of these are connected through a single router via LAN and switches or Wifi

So we have these Apple devices as well...my partner, she uses iPad mostly and wants to print from that iPad.

We don't have an AirPrint printer.

So using avahi-daemon running alongside CUPS and configuring the avahi-daemon so the CUPS printers are recognized by the iPad which ONLY sees AirPrint capable printers. And since all my gear is junk others threw away and this is an experiment the setup is not as streamlined as it could be.

In the end it is all about getting the IPad to print on my Canon MG2500.

And that my Friend it does.
Only I can't shut the machine down after installing avahi. which I have asked for advice here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=106800
rockedge

PostPosted: Tue 17 May 2016, 10:27    Post subject:  

I am interested in refining the process and install procedure perhaps to share how to do it in case anyone else would like to have an airprint printer without buying one and using what one already does have.

So sorry if your confused. It works but I have been messing with it for some time to get it working reliably so I have no clear cut step 1 step 2
and that is what I am referring to....clear instructions for others to use.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Tue 17 May 2016, 10:52    Post subject:  

Quote:
through the one old Dell tower running tahr 6.0.5. with ANOTHER machine actually running the AVAHI-DAEMON with service files that point to the CUPS 1.7.5 which is configured to print using the Dell tower running CUPS 1.4.8.

It's that statement that I don't understand. Why does it take two Puppy machines to make this work?

Or is this a situation where Puppy #1 has its CUPS 148 in sharing mode. So Puppy #2 with CUPS 175 is sharing Puppy #1's shared printer but as an Airprint device.
rockedge

PostPosted: Tue 17 May 2016, 11:05    Post subject:  

[quote="rcrsn51"]
Quote:

Or is this a situation where Puppy #1 has its CUPS 148 in sharing mode. So Puppy #2 with CUPS 175 is sharing Puppy #1's shared printer but as an Airprint device.

Yes. That is correct. And the only reason it is like that is I can not shut down cleanly and the save folder will be corrupted.....so Puppy #1, I do not have to crash and re install everything. And Puppy #2 I can freely trash the OS and quickly redo the USB frugal install in minutes and start over again.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Tue 17 May 2016, 11:08    Post subject:  

OK. That might explain the problem with the CUPS 175 filter package. It breaks the connection with the shared CUPS 148 printer. So you need to use the CUPS 148 filter package instead.
rockedge

PostPosted: Tue 17 May 2016, 11:26    Post subject:  

That sounds possible. But I have been testing also by just using the CUPS-PDF as printer on the CUPS 1.7.5 machine....there is where I needed to first uninstall the 175 filters!

So iPad seeing the CUPS 175 CUPS-PDF as AirPrint capable and it started working after I removed the 175 filter PET........

I will use this 16gig stick I found here and try 175 out connected to the USB Canon printer. So only one print server running CUPS 1.7.5 and avahi-daemon on a machine connected via usb to the printer. Lets see how that works.
chillinfart

PostPosted: Tue 17 May 2016, 15:42    Post subject:  

Glamor is working partially, i found UXA acceleration references in Xorg.0.log and this isn't OK for Glamor work.

I found some hacks for Intel driver building, but i don't have idea which source code files are affected.

http://keithp.com/blogs/Glamorous_Intel/
bigpup

PostPosted: Tue 24 May 2016, 04:14    Post subject:  

Tahrpup 6.0.5 PAE
Frugal + save folder
All updates from Quickpet->Info->Tahrpup updates installed.

menu->Help

The drop-down lists on the help page list programs and files that are in Tahrpup.
When you select something from these lists nothing happens.

In past versions of Puppy, selecting from these lists would take you to a web page giving detailed info about whatever you selected.

The file /usr/share/doc/index.html, that gives you this help page, still has the web links for each item in the lists.

James186282

PostPosted: Fri 27 May 2016, 19:25    Post subject:  

666philb wrote:
luiscuadrado123 wrote:
how can i install nvidia driver???

i've made a request for someone to build the nvidia drivers... hopefully they'll be available soon

I'm not the someone but I've done this with success on my ancient history GT 760 board.

You need to have the devx and kernel (For the system you want to run the drivers on. Then you right click the files for the proper version of the nvidia driver to make them executable. Go to your menu and exit to the command line and type ./ Followed by the name of the nvidia package you want to compile. Then answer yes (A lot) and the nvidia drivers will compile and (If its like my experience) will set up the driver for your card in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. if you go to the /usr/share/applications directory you will see (In my version) a file named Set-nvidia You can drag it to the desktop or just click it where it is. This will let you see whats going on with your Nvidia card. If you open a terminal and type glxgears you will see if the card is working in 3D mode.

James186282

PostPosted: Fri 27 May 2016, 19:34    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
CUPS 175 needs libjpeg9. Get it here.

This worked for me.

[Edit] No reply? Is this issue resolved?

No, Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I totally munged things rending my machine unstartable. I used it as an excuse to install Tahrpup64 which has no problems printing. Since it printed fine I went to a different problem which is making 64 bit native nvidia drivers compile. And while it has nothing to do with my initial problem I got 64 bit native nvidia drivers compiled and running on my old card and was able to turn one of my two (dual head) monitors on its side so I have one screen thats landscape and one that is portrait!

James186282

PostPosted: Fri 27 May 2016, 19:41    Post subject:  

rg66 wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:
Where in Tahrpup is powerapplet_tray being launched at startup?

/root/.config/autostart/powerapplet.desktop

Does anyone know why they are doing away with the Startup directory? Changing it to a hidden directory seems kind of confusing just to be confusing.

bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 28 May 2016, 06:38    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 has made a pet so Tahrpup can support a wifi hot spot
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=905659#905659
rcrsn51 wrote:
In order to support Internet sharing, the kernel must be compiled with some special components. These are missing in several recent Puppies, including Tahrpup 605. In particular, the following command will NOT work.
Code:
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

Install the attached PET.

Pelo

PostPosted: Sat 28 May 2016, 23:35    Post subject: Tahrpup with 2PDE desktop  

Hungarian team dress Tahrpup (sur son 31) with 2PDE desktop from Paris ToOpPy shop ! Nice, so nice !
link to Skamilinux de Hongrie.
SMplayer and You Tube Player don't work !

Last edited by Pelo on Mon 13 Jun 2016, 22:48; edited 2 times in total
rerwin

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun 2016, 12:14    Post subject: pmcputemp error messages on tahr64  

Whenever I run tahr64 6.0.5 on my early model AMD 64 cpu PC, the xerrs.log files shows a repeated error message:
Code:
(pmcputemp:7387): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file: assertion 'error == NULL || *error == NULL' failed
The tray cpu temperature icon space is empty. If I right-click that space and select "Quit", the message repetition stops.

I am surprised that this has not been reported already.

In 01micko's pmcputemp thread, an i686 version on pmcputemp is offered, but no mention of an X64 version. Is version 0.63 in tahr64 actually a 64-bit version of pmcputemp?
Richard
Sailor Enceladus

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun 2016, 12:28    Post subject: Re: pmcputemp error messages on tahr64  

rerwin wrote:
Whenever I run tahr64 6.0.5 on my early model AMD 64 cpu PC, the xerrs.log files shows a repeated error message:
Code:
(pmcputemp:7387): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_new_from_file: assertion 'error == NULL || *error == NULL' failed
The tray cpu temperature icon space is empty. If I right-click that space and select "Quit", the message repetition stops.

I am surprised that this has not been reported already.

In 01micko's pmcputemp thread, an i686 version on pmcputemp is offered, but no mention of an X64 version. Is version 0.63 in tahr64 actually a 64-bit version of pmcputemp?
Richard

For me the temperature in 6.0.5 64-bit only shows up if I restart X. I thought it just didn't work at all, but I restarted X once and then the number 52 or 53 magically appeared on my screen after. Tried it again now, showed up blank, I restarted X and now it's saying 28. Before I restarted, /tmp/xerrs.log was showing the same as yours, and after, nothing, so I guess it works 'kinda'.
Page 50 of 56 [832 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: