vividpup beta

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
charbaby66

snappy indeed

#121 Post by charbaby66 »

frugal no save file on NTFS
+pale moon updater/updated

very fast, smooth, bright.. phil you rock!!

on 1st run, good! - no annoying time zone issues in system or browser to fiddle away (Error code: sec_error_ocsp_future_response, f'd up tz)

not good? Quick setup >>on restart x to set new network name/time zone
get hotshots & libreoffice errors, on install>>install apps>> SFS from official repo. internet not installed or repo down (screenshots attached)

EDIT: all 3 errors remain after savefile created & used on reboot

wifi up, good on SNS or Frisbee. PPM updated. miss quickpet :) but looking good, may supersede tahrpups 6:03/04 or puppybang for primary or base 32 bit on this box.. still testing 64/32compat. pups

EDIT: SNS settings remain after savefile created & used on reboot but had to hit connect 5-6 times to have network initialize and get an IP,, have not tested Frisbee
in this regard

I wish i could program like you guys, but content to reap from your expertise :) hats off & thank you again for the fine effort :)

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7100 @ 1.80GHz
Max Speed: 1800 MHz
Current Speed of Core 0:1801 MHz, 1:1801 MHz
Personal Storage: RAM Disk
Size Used Free Use%
3.0G 78M 2.9G 3%

Memory Allocation:
Total RAM: 4034 MB
Used RAM: 1050 MB
Free RAM: 2984 MB
Buffers: 112 MB
Total Swap: 2046 MB
Free Swap: 2046 MB

Linux Kernel: 3.19.5-vivid_PAE-32-pae (i686)
Kernel Version: #1 SMP Mon Apr 27 11:12:29 GMT-8 2015
PAE Enabled: Yes

Distro: vividpup beta2
Window Manager: JWM vgit-976
Desktop Start: xwin jwm
▶—— DISPLAY ——◀

Display Specifications:
• Monitor VertRefresh: 60.0 times/s
• Screen Dimensions: 1280x800 pixels (338x211 millimeters)
• Screen Depth: 24 bits (planes)

Xorg Startup Log (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
• Xorg Driver in use: intel
• Loaded Modules: dbe dri2 extmod glx kbd mouse present synaptics
• X.Org version: 1.17.1

OpenGL 2D/3D Rendering:
• Direct Rendering: Yes
• Vendor: Intel Open Source Technology Center
• Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 965GM x86/MMX/SSE2
• Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.5.0

VGA controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary) [8086:2a02] (rev 0c)
• Kernel Driver: i915
• Memory Used: 690.12 KB
• Path: /lib/modules/3.19.5-vivid_PAE-32-pae/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko
• Description: Intel Graphics

▶—— NETWORK ——◀

Ethernet controller [0200]: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5755M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express [14e4:1673] (rev 02)
• Kernel Driver: tg3
• Memory Used: 117.41 KB
• Path: /lib/modules/3.19.5-vivid_PAE-32-pae/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/broadcom/tg3.ko
• Driver Version: 3.137
• Description: Broadcom Tigon3 ethernet driver

Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Connection [8086:4229] (rev 61)
• Kernel Driver: iwl4965
• Memory Used: 66.29 KB
• Path: /lib/modules/3.19.5-vivid_PAE-32-pae/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/iwlegacy/iwl4965.ko
• Driver Version: in-tree:
• Description: Intel(R) Wireless WiFi 4965 driver for Linux
Attachments
capture4443.png
(12.24 KiB) Downloaded 1403 times
capture23980.png
(12.91 KiB) Downloaded 1573 times
capture17664.png
(6.92 KiB) Downloaded 1419 times
Puppy. You can choose to use it well. 8) Or well, choose not to use it. :wink: (I'm feelin' quite spiffy for thinking of that)
Of course there's always <mumble> RTFM :oops: RTFM :roll: RTFM :twisted: Funny I say that @ work and play equally often.

eric52

#122 Post by eric52 »

Kudos, 666philb, this is another winner. Tahrpup is indeed trusty, of moderate build, equipped with QuickPet, and implementing a SFS modularity. I have found it to be an excellent frugal install on an ext partition, and quite good on USB and DVD platforms. Unicornpup is a small base that can be variously built up toward any specific need, allowing the user to achieve a nearly perfect size for many particular purposes. Vividpup comes with no assembly required. This fulfills an important need for those of us who prefer to operate from a DVD. SFS files require very awkward loading and resist boot management on the DVD platform. As the low-cost versatility of DVDs makes them ideal give-away introductions to Puppy, it's nice to have a flagship product to share. Even at the beta stage, vividpup is robust and reliable. It has quickly become my preferred portable. The entire litter 666philb has whelped embraces just about everything Puppy can be. Truly an admirable output - well conceived and executed. Congratulations!

futwerk

#123 Post by futwerk »

new background.
Attachments
vivid6.jpg
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/x4v77bi1p58ox/puppy2013
(43.4 KiB) Downloaded 1177 times

Pelo

Libre-Office loaded as SFS on the fly if needed.

#124 Post by Pelo »

vivid-6.5_PAE.iso: 215 M
Libre-Office loaded as SFS on the fly if needed.
Franz, a magyar (hungarian Puppy lover) yet issued a Vivid puplet unicorNOPen without Libre Office with PPM Utopic.
Most of users store the SFS in their tool case, at home, for use on every puppy employed
I am sure that SFS to be loaded are the best solution for big applications,
Puppy ISOs should be provided by default with small tools for home daily usage.
Office suites include apps that we will never use, Daddy plays Linux after a hard day at office, using microsoftt MSaccess, excel and Word.
Not sure that after dinner, they like to begin a second typing session.
Furthermore Free Soft office does the same as Libre Office, with a much smaller size. Let us choose...
"I would like to defend 666philb's decision as an author of Puppy distros. He decided
to make this one a big Puppy, and it is his right to do so. " Musher0, i agree with you, dear canadian colleague.
Attachments
666phib.jpg
Screenplay by Pelo
(43.54 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 01:18, edited 1 time in total.

eric52

#125 Post by eric52 »

Pelo, I more than agree. I use Puppy on optical disks, pen drives, and hard drives in multiple ways. I haven't tried memory cards, yet, but I'll bet they also make a special case. There is no one ideal approach that best covers all these media. The SFS concept is great for many applications. Right now I'm exploring the work of RSH in LASSIE, which is a devoted tribute to the SFS platform. Great stuff! But it's not good for full HD or CD installs due to the nature and capacity involved. Sometimes, the PET approach is just better than the modular one. Creating a large, integrated Puppy to fulfill those needs is not just 666philb's right, it's his obligation as a developer to occasionally provide a comprehensive package that has been tested as a particular combination. It's almost like having different genders - they are not equally suited for all purposes, no matter what the currently popular propaganda says, and to suggest that one is inherently wrong if just plain silly. Vive la difference!
Today only. Anger not. Worry not. Be grateful working karma. Be kind.

Pelo

i run all big applications with Windows 7

#126 Post by Pelo »

:) :) :)
in fact, to keep my windows 7 active, and to get it reimburse its cost, i run all big applications with it, when needed, which means very rarely.
But i understand that needs are different, one can be a professionnal of office tasks, other just using puppy at night for relaxing.
I understand very well the difficulty for our developers to get everyone satisfied, that the reason why puppies are so many, each one different from the other.
I regret that Scribus is not included because its permit to arrange page nicely, like commercial revews. but i would like games too, as 64 bits is now available and Ram much bigger, four or more CPUs runnning fast. Puppy's users are 45, 50 and much more. Youth would come back to Puppy with more dynamic apps.... :idea: and play in the classroom computers instead of their smartphones
Pacman was a success on amstrad 64, with Basic programs, but people with brand new computers needs more than Libre office.

eric52

#127 Post by eric52 »

Yeah, Pelo, I'm one of those "much more" guys. I think you've raised an important point. Puppy is a very good and varied OS as it stands. I'm quite happy with TahrPup, even though I like Vivid. But the sad fact is I'm never going to be any good at Open Hexagon, and my grandson already seems bored with Toribash. I religiously install LibreOffice and use it once or twice a year. I really don't care what audio/video players or picture viewers I use, as long as something works reasonably well. I watch Netflix often and Kodi sometimes. I've used FatDog and will transition into 64 bit as the junk machines I run get newer. There is room for improvement, but we've got all kinds of working OS. I think you're right; we need more apps that run on Puppy - PET, SFS, whatever. We probably don't need office productivity tools. Games would be great - or robust routes to Steam, Google gaming, etc. Other entertainment venues are also winners. Perhaps we should tap the developers on the shoulder and suggest that compatibility is the next frontier.
Today only. Anger not. Worry not. Be grateful working karma. Be kind.

666philb

#128 Post by 666philb »

steam works on tahrpup (not sure about vivid) .... grab the .pet from games section
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Pelo

Simple Screen Recorder, that is the nice application.

#129 Post by Pelo »

Libre Office VS Speedy Linux, people who need Libre Office at home generally have SFS available. Puppy is for amusement.
Simple Screen Recorder, that is the nice application.. To discover you tube and run at home.
available free of charge in the multimedia menu.
Attachments
ItalianCafe.jpg
DeadBeef is welcome for Puppy without Mplayer.
(56.91 KiB) Downloaded 388 times
Last edited by Pelo on Mon 13 Jun 2016, 09:19, edited 2 times in total.

Pelo

coquillo tags your CDs

#130 Post by Pelo »

coquillo tags your CDs

Current features:
- CDDB read support.
- Integrated FreeDB web search. ? ?? :?:
- Resolve tags from filenames.
- Generate filenames from tags.
- Process multiple files at once.
- Bookmark often used locations.

How do you connect Cuoquillo to freeDB ?
Last edited by Pelo on Mon 13 Jun 2016, 09:16, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

'multimedia' section includes Coquillo, now

#131 Post by Pelo »

Vivid is 6.5 or still bêta ?
Coquillo now will appear in here in 'multimedia' section

Contact My friends at Hungarian forum, if you want quick answers about this Puppy Vivid, that they keep available with some fat in smikilinux.hu

Puppy-buiders now leave their Puppy abondoned in the forum. The Hungarian team pupsaves them. Archives.org, like Mormons, do the same.
Last edited by Pelo on Mon 16 May 2016, 07:11, edited 2 times in total.

slavvo67

#132 Post by slavvo67 »

PhilB:

Did Vivid ever make it to Woof-CE?

Kind regards,

Slavvo67

Pelo

Vivid topic yet abandoned ?

#133 Post by Pelo »

Vivid topic yet abandoned ? trash your CDs, Vivid has been replaced by last ubuntu Xenial version, for summer 2016, in the heart of the puppy builders !
Try Pupjibaro version, please, and the hungarian one too.. Vivid started successful, but got quickly forgotten !
Attachments
ViVidPuppy.jpg
all things must pass
(52.25 KiB) Downloaded 483 times
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 17 Mar 2017, 01:22, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

Everything is woof CE nowadays

#134 Post by Pelo »

Everything is woof CE nowadays, even Pupjibaro's latinas Perritas.

Robert123

#135 Post by Robert123 »

Hi Pelo,

I too have playing around with VividPup and really like it and wanted a base build came across this by forum member darry1966
here:
https://archive.org/download/VividBare

Ideal modern pup makes me want to move up from Lucid. 5.11 as my daily ride.

mikeslr

Moving up from Lupu

#136 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Robert123 ,

There's nothing inherently wrong with vividpup. But I'd suggest if you desire to "upgrade" from Lupu you consider Tahrpup or xenialpup or any Slacko.

Vividpup is solid and lightweight and ran well on the several computers I have. But if you look on Ubuntu's websites you'll find that Vivid vervet, the version whose binaries were used in creating Vividpup, has already reached its "end of life". That means Ubuntu will no longer support it, provide updates and security patches for it, and will eventually phase out its repos: neither easy access to applications or the ability to build Puppy versions from them.

They did this with Raring Ringtail. Raring Pup was one another solid build, one of my favorites. But it now just something for curiosity seekers and die-hards.

Ubuntu feels compelled to come out with a new version every couple of months. It's how they experiment. And they have the resources to do so. Puppy doesn't. It took Puppy Devs and fans several years to build up the assortment of applications you now find in Lupu.

Both Trusty-tahr and Xenial, in contrast, will receive support from Ubuntu thru 2019. And Slackware, whose binaries are used in creating Slackos, takes a very conservative approach to making changes. Applications created for one Slacko often rootb on the next several versions.

Of course, if you like to experiment, changing your operating system once a year can be fun.

mikesLr

Robert123

#137 Post by Robert123 »

Thanks Mikeslr,

Went with Tahr instead:
https://archive.org/details/tahr_noPAEBare

Pelo

Sure Xenialpup would be better.

#138 Post by Pelo »

mikeslr is quite right about the repositories. But i am testing Xenialpup and the kernel seems not to be serviceable yet. It's a Beta version, for feedback from users .
About Vivid, Like previous semestrial versions of Ubuntu, packages are transfered to archives but are still available via The PPM,
Sure Xenialpup would be better. It runs on my computer, but seems to lack of RAM, pictures on the desktop or screenshots in the forum appears slowly, very slowly.

Pelo

kernel 3.18.8 march 2015

#139 Post by Pelo »

USB Emtec with Vidvidpup reintroduced in my daily PuppyBox. No trouble with it. kernel 3.18.8 march 2015
In fact i am looking for place on my pendrives to install new Puppies. But i will keep Vivid alive. Xenialpup has some problems , sometimes hen you click, answer appears 20 30 seconds later.
Kernel 3.18.8 prevent you to go outside sufing the web, until rcrcsn provides a pet for this kernel.
"That means Ubuntu will no longer support it, provide updates and security patches for it, PPM dos not find lot of libraries, dependancies. That could be the reason.
I willl check for changing repo addresses, as Augras did for Raring. If negative, perhaps i will have to use a different repos, but some apps in Vivid could have disseapeared from the shop. Easystroke as test. Easystoke remembers and reproduces what you do with the mouse. So you can repeat it.
Last edited by Pelo on Sat 22 Apr 2017, 08:26, edited 2 times in total.

artsown

#140 Post by artsown »

I would like to install qpdfview in vivid but was unable to locate it in
the repo. Help would be appreciated.

Edit: My bad. qpdfview is in the repo.

Art