Puppy 2.10r1 manual

Booting, installing, newbie
profolio

Puppy 2.10r1 manual

#1 Post by profolio »

I made a printable pdf of the Puppy 2.10r1 version for myself (bedtime reading..(lol).
You can download it from here.
http://homepage.mac.com/profolio/filech ... Manual.pdf

kent41

Re: Puppy 2.10r1 manual

#2 Post by kent41 »

profolio wrote:I made a printable pdf of the Puppy 2.10r1 version for myself (bedtime reading..(lol).
You can download it from here.
http://homepage.mac.com/profolio/filech ... Manual.pdf
Hi profolio
I downloaded the .pdf file but when I try to open the file it opens than immediately closes. I have seen this in other .pdf files but dont know why.
[size=75][color=darkred]Toshiba M35X S-111 - Aspire 5100-3357 using puppy 2.12 - 2.13 - 2.14 - 4.3.1 -
Bootable CD and no hard drive[/color][/size]
Acer Aspire 1 netbook using thumbdrive or CD

muggins

#3 Post by muggins »

kent41,

i suspect you've incompletely downloaded the pdf file. i just dloaded it with wget -c & it opens fine.

kent41

#4 Post by kent41 »

muggins wrote:kent41,

i suspect you've incompletely downloaded the pdf file. i just dloaded it with wget -c & it opens fine.
Muggins
I need your help I tried and downloaded the .pdf with wget -c and got the same results. However I just downloaded a .pdf News paper from canada and it worked ok. any suggestions.
[size=75][color=darkred]Toshiba M35X S-111 - Aspire 5100-3357 using puppy 2.12 - 2.13 - 2.14 - 4.3.1 -

WhoDo

#5 Post by WhoDo »

kent41 wrote: I downloaded the .pdf file but when I try to open the file it opens than immediately closes. I have seen this in other .pdf files but dont know why.
Same problem here if I open with Ghostview (default) but if I open with the Adobe Reader for Linux it's okay. Must be something to do with how the PDF was created.

Cheers

kent41

#6 Post by kent41 »

WhoDo wrote:
kent41 wrote: I downloaded the .pdf file but when I try to open the file it opens than immediately closes. I have seen this in other .pdf files but dont know why.
Same problem here if I open with Ghostview (default) but if I open with the Adobe Reader for Linux it's okay. Must be something to do with how the PDF was created.

Cheers
Just a note I downloaded the Canada paper again and it worked ok and it is a 5meg file. what could be causing this with Ghostview?

kjs

#7 Post by kjs »

Could it just be available memory???? Crashes in Puppy Ghostview but works fine with KGhostview and KPDF (SuSE 10.2). However this machine has 2GB RAM and more then sufficient SWAP space whereas my Puppy-Puter has no swap partition and only 256MB memory. Have to plug in another 512MB and see whether it helps.

Juergen

muggins

#8 Post by muggins »

i thought it could be pdf viewer related, however i could open the pdf using either ghostview or adobe. i'm using pupversion1.08, with gsview version 4.7.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

PuppyPDF program

#9 Post by Lobster »

If possible (it would be a good test) use the PuppyPDF program under WP
this will convert many formats to PDF

It is in 2.13 - not sure when it was introduced

:D

here is one I did converting from abiword
http://tmxxine.com/puppybook/man200.abw.pdf
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

profolio

re Puppy manual

#10 Post by profolio »

When I got home to Puppy I realized that Ghostview could'nt open the pdf file.
However, I downloaded the three Xpdf pups and that worked fine.
http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Office/
Sorry for the inconvenience.
Michel

Eyes-Only

#11 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi Profolio!

Excellent Puppy Manual! Despite the several changes between 2.10 and 2.13, this is still a magnificent and highly valuable tool for ANY Puppian to have on hand as a great deal of it readily applies even with the current version!

I'm very thankful for all the diligent work you've put into this effort and it's going to become a much-consulted tool in my near future I feel. :) I've already sent off a copy of this to my son who has recently come to PuppyLinux, along with the URL to Rhino's Flash website as another valuable place of instruction for him.

I've even toyed some with the thought of having my wife taking this to the Staples store up the street and seeing if they could print it out. They it really would make great bedtime reading material! ;) Hey look... I'm not about to take the entire tower into bed with me here. Some people like their pet dog in bed with them. I like my Puppy---but this one sleeps on the desk. LOL! :D

On another note though Profolio: I was wondering if you might be able to change/edit the topic of this post (or can only a Mod do that?) so that it's clear that this manual doesn't work in Ghostview? Perhaps that way people downloading would know they need an alternate .pdf reader? Just an idea.

Again: Many thanks!!

Amicalement mon aminche!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

muggins

#12 Post by muggins »

profolio,

which pupversion are you using, & if you do ghostview -v ,what response do you get. reason i'm asking is that i have no problem opening your manual on pup1.08 with GSView version 4.7.

MU

#13 Post by MU »

I Muppy006 (based on Puppy 212), my X window system freezed when opening the pdf with ghostview.

sh-3.00# ghostview -v
GSview 4.7 2005-03-25
Documentation files in /usr/usr/local/share/doc/gsview-4.7/
Configuration files in /usr/etc/gsview/

I also encountered such problems before, but never reported them, as I read pdf very seldom, and have epdfview here.
Might be worth a try to install the version from Puppy 1.x.

Mark

profolio

re manual

#14 Post by profolio »

Thanks for the praise Eyes-Only but the real effort was put forth by MU and others. I just put the pdf together since I wanted a ref I and others could browse on the fly.
And Muggins, my Ghostview worked with other pdfs before I upgraded to 2.12 although I've never worked with it extensively so it's hard for me to analyze. Now, it just flashes and dissapears when I try to open this pdf. Xpdf opens it without a glitch. But I did manage to open it in Ghostview after converting it. Ghostview>file>convert
Hope this helps.
Michel

Lobster
Official Crustacean

converting service

#15 Post by Lobster »

I tried converting the PDFt with this service
http://www.zamzar.com/ - it produced a 13MB RTF
. . . which I could at least load but the formatting was
all over the place . . .

so finally got it loading . . . ;)

A new 2.13 manual just released in various formats
the best and simplest seems to be RTF
but PDF, Abiword, MS Doc and online html included . . .
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 9429#89429
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

oli

#16 Post by oli »

Hi profolio,
I'm the author of the manual at www.puppy-linux.info . You have done a great job creating a pdf of the manual. I will set a link to the pdf-version into my manual-homepage. If you want I will inform you if I publish a new version. Meanwhile I added a new chapter (11.4 Virus scanner).
Oli

profolio

re Manual

#17 Post by profolio »

Thanks Oli but you did all the great ground work. Yes please keep me posted if you update. In the meantime, I will add the chapter on virus scanning and post another link as I think you mentionned that the existing one is broken.
Cheers,
Michel

profolio

re manual

#18 Post by profolio »

Hi Oli,
I don't know if you're aware of this but it just occured to me that if you update the manual the links for the dotpup downloader are broken and that most of the dotpup downloads can be handled by MU's excellent PSI
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... p?t=517020
Michel