How to use Samsung SCX-4623F with 32 bit Tahrpup? (Solved)

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
Relztrah

How to use Samsung SCX-4623F with 32 bit Tahrpup? (Solved)

#1 Post by Relztrah »

My Samsung SCX-4623F multifunction printer/scanner/copier works great with my old IMB Thinkpad running 32 bit Tahrpup. But I was given a better laptop (Acer Aspire) so I loaded 64 bit Tahrpup on it. I was able to add the printer with no problem, and when I print I see PRINTING on the display of the SCH-4623F and hear the roller inside rolling around as if it's printing something, but nothing prints. The print log (attached) shows that the test pages were completed. But there is no printed page.

There is paper in the printer and it prints normally using Windows or my Thinkpad with 32 bit Tahrpup. Where do i begin to troubleshoot this one?[/img]
Attachments
SCX-4623F.png
print log
(73.4 KiB) Downloaded 481 times
Last edited by Relztrah on Tue 31 May 2016, 01:33, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

What Samsung driver package are you installing? Be specific. A 32bit driver won't work in Tahrpup64.

Relztrah

#3 Post by Relztrah »

Your reply got me thinking about the driver which I hadn't even considered. I looked in the Samsung website and found a Linux driver: uld_v1.00.36_00.91.tar.gz which I downloaded.

I proceeded to extract all files, looked for the ppd file and found two: Samsung_4623FW_series.ppd and Samsung_4623_series.ppd

I attempted using each of them at Puppy Setup>printer>Manage printers>administration>manage printers>[select Samsung]>administration>modify printer>continue>continue>browse and selected each of the above mentioned drivers and clicked modify printer.

Still no print when I attempt a test page. But to answer your question, I am currently using Samsung SCX-4623FW Series. I don't see any way of knowing if this is 32 or 64 bit.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

At the top of this forum section there is an article titled How to Install your Printer/Scanner in Puppy. It should be your first stop for information about printers.

It has a link to a section for Samsung printers, which has a ready-made 32bit PET that supports your model. I would recommend that you first use it in regular Tahrpup.

Once you have that working, download the 64bit version and use it with Tahrpup64.

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

@Relztrah: No reply? There have been numerous downloads of the new 64bit Samsung driver. Some feedback would be nice.

Relztrah

apparently not doing it correctly

#6 Post by Relztrah »

I followed the instructions in the post but still I am unable to print. What does "filter failed" mean? See attachment. [/img]
Attachments
samsung printer1.png
(49.63 KiB) Downloaded 501 times

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

Are we talking about Tahrpup32 or Tahrpup64? USB or wireless? Which instructions do you mean?

1. I did a clean install of Tahrpup64.

2. I downloaded and installed the 64bit samsung_print_scan_64bit-uld.1.0.29.pet.

3. I attached a USB Samsung SCX-3200 printer.

4. I ran a standard CUPS install. My model was detected and appeared in the Make/Model list. It worked correctly.

5. I did a simulated install of your SCX-4623. It also appeared to work.

In your screenie, the Make and Model says "Local System V Printer". I don't know where that is coming from. It should say "Samsung SCX-4623 series.".

I would suggest that you do a clean install of Tahrpup and try again.

Relztrah

#8 Post by Relztrah »

USB printer with Tahrpup 64. Yes, I used samsung_print_scan_64bit-uld.1.0.29 as suggested. The printer is now installed but I get a different error message in status. See attached.
Attachments
samsung screenshot2.png
(55.09 KiB) Downloaded 457 times

rcrsn51

#9 Post by rcrsn51 »

What kind of install are you doing - full or frugal? hard drive or USB?

Is this a clean install as recommended?

The message claims that the file /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertospl is missing.

If you are using Tahrpup64 (the one with the lake scene as wallpaper) and you installed the samsung_print_scan_64bit-uld.1.0.29.pet correctly, then the file should be there.

Go to the folder /usr/lib/cups/filter. The file rastertospl should be there. It is a symlink to the file /opt/smfp-common/printer/bin/rastertospl. Is this true?

Look in the folder /usr/lib64. What do you see? It should be a symlink into /usr/lib.

Relztrah

#10 Post by Relztrah »

rcrsn51 wrote:What kind of install are you doing - full or frugal? hard drive or USB?
Full install to the HDD.

Is this a clean install as recommended?

No

The message claims that the file /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertospl is missing.
If you are using Tahrpup64 (the one with the lake scene as wallpaper) and you installed the samsung_print_scan_64bit-uld.1.0.29.pet correctly, then the file should be there.

Go to the folder /usr/lib/cups/filter. The file rastertospl should be there.

See attached. The file is not there.

It is a symlink to the file /opt/smfp-common/printer/bin/rastertospl. Is this true?

Not sure what I'm looking for.

Look in the folder /usr/lib64. What do you see? It should be a symlink into /usr/lib.

I do not see the symlink to /usr/lib
I apparently did something wrong.
Attachments
usr-lib-cups-filter.png
(40.5 KiB) Downloaded 427 times

rcrsn51

#11 Post by rcrsn51 »

Here is what I think happened.

1. In Tahrpup64, the folder /usr/lib64 is not a regular folder - it is just a link to /usr/lib.

2. But in your setup, /usr/lib64 got changed into a regular folder. So the content of the PET got installed there instead of into /usr/lib. If you look in /usr/lib64, you should be able to find the missing file.

I suspect that this happened because you tried running Samsung's own installer program. The article How to Install your Printer in Puppy recommends against this.

Your best long-term solution is to do a clean install and fix this mess. It may cause other problems.

In the short term, install the PET here. It will put the files in /usr/lib as needed.

Relztrah

#12 Post by Relztrah »

Thank you for your patience. I'll perform the above steps when I have some time to devote to the task.

Relztrah

#13 Post by Relztrah »

Same result. I am either attempting to install a driver that I failed to download correctly or I can't find it. I downloaded the PET file but from this point where do I look for the driver?
Attachments
capture13087.png
(77.94 KiB) Downloaded 431 times

rcrsn51

#14 Post by rcrsn51 »

After you downloaded the PET, did you click on it to install it?

Your original problem was the missing file /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertospl. After installing the PET can you now find it?

Test your printer.

Relztrah

#15 Post by Relztrah »

rcrsn51 wrote:After you downloaded the PET, did you click on it to install it?

yes

Your original problem was the missing file /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertospl. After installing the PET can you now find it?

no, it is not there

Test your printer.
Result attached.
Attachments
capture11841.png
(79.97 KiB) Downloaded 441 times

rcrsn51

#16 Post by rcrsn51 »

I have checked this several times with clean installs of Tahr64 and the file is absolutely, positively there. So I don't know what is going wrong with your setup.

Relztrah

#17 Post by Relztrah »

Well, I may not have done this correctly, but I found the rastertospl file using pFind and copied it into /usr/lib/cups/filter/ and now the printer is working!

rcrsn51

#18 Post by rcrsn51 »

That's good news, but where did you find the file? It doesn't sound like you actually installed the PET.

Relztrah

#19 Post by Relztrah »

rcrsn51 wrote:That's good news, but where did you find the file? It doesn't sound like you actually installed the PET.
That's entirely possible since I am somewhat of a Puppy Linux newbie and still learning the mechanics. The file was in several locations, but I copied it from /downloads/samsung_print_scan_64bit-uld.1.0.29/opt/smfp-common/printer/bin.

Thank you once again for your patience and helpfulness.

rcrsn51

#20 Post by rcrsn51 »

A PET is an executable installer package. If you LEFT-click on it, the files inside get automatically copied to their correct locations.

It sounds like you somehow downloaded and manually unpacked the package into your /downloads folder but never installed it.

Unfortunately, some web browsers or ISPs get confused by the PET format and turn the package into something else that doesn't work properly. Maybe that's what happened to you.

Does the file that you downloaded have the word "PET" on its icon? Does it have the full name "samsung_print_scan_64bit-uld.1.0.29.pet"?