Bootable USB stick - How do YOU do it?

Using applications, configuring, problems
tlchost

Re: solutions traduites pour les francophones ici

#21 Post by tlchost »

Pelo wrote:. Last week i tried different boot systems for Xenialdog, for coming back to Lili usb creator, Fat 32.
Lili works great....i use it all the time

bigpup

#22 Post by bigpup »

Ok - I just gave this method a try (first time I have used it) and was happily able to create a bootable usb stick with two isos on it. It works nicely in my main Toshiba laptop.

However - it still won't boot my Acer Aspire 5720Z so I need to carry on and try other methods.

The Acer says the stick is not bootable - (even though I have set the first boot device to USB-HDD) and it asks me to insert a bootable floppy and press any key.
Try having only the boot flag on the first partition sdb1.
Do not have it flagged as boot, lba.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

greengeek

#23 Post by greengeek »

bigpup wrote:Try having only the boot flag on the first partition sdb1.
Do not have it flagged as boot, lba.
Thanks Bigpup - just tried switching off the lba flag but still no boot. Maybe I need to try reformatting and reloading the isos again in case the lba flag upset the contiguity right at the start. Will add that to the weekend list.

puppyluvr

#24 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
So I'm the only one..
IDK, but syslinux works great for me.
Only thing, cant edit boot code live at boot. :-(
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

greengeek

#25 Post by greengeek »

puppyluvr wrote: So I'm the only one..
IDK, but syslinux works great for me.
Hi puppyluvr - I don't think you are the only one - I suspect that syslinux is going to be the choice that gives me the greatest overall compatibility with my range of hardware.

However - there are many different ways to use syslinux and I find that some methods simply don't work on some hardware and I really want to pin down exactly what methods have the highest compatibility.

For example - one of my netbooks simply WILL NOT boot from any stick prepared with syslinux 4.74 even though it will boot fine using syslinux 3.73

Some machines won't boot from syslinux on a stick that uses multiple partitions.

Some multiboot configurations wont boot some machines.

Bigpup suggested that the presence of the lba flag can also upset booting in some cases.

I believe that the critical factors when using syslinux are:

1) Choice of partition type
2) Number and possibly layout of partitions. (Possibly also maximum size of boot partition).
3) Choice of which partition contains ldlinux.sys
4) Location of Puppy files (lying "loose" in the partition or in a subdirectory similar to frugal)
5) Version of syslinux used to create the stick.
6) Handling of MBR:
- Retain original MBR as shipped from factory? (I don't like doing this because I cannot guarantee reproducibility)
- Rewrite MBR with mbr.bin?
- Rewrite MBR with some other method?
7) Size of USB stick (upper size limitation probably applies especially on older hardware).

I am very interested to hear the detail of how you go about setting up your multiboot sticks as that is ultimately what I want to do once I have perfected the most compatible method of setting up the stick

I have toyed with the idea of using syslinux to boot only ONE puppy - but making sure that the one puppy chosen is Multipup itself (containing my top 3 or so puppies). I don't know if such a method would be compatible with my preferred version of Syslinux - which is syslinux 3.73
Last edited by greengeek on Sat 28 May 2016, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.

greengeek

#26 Post by greengeek »

rockedge wrote:run GRUB4DOS and select only the usb drive,then follow the steps and install the MBR
Most of my more recent puppy installs were made using Grub4dos - however I seem to run into a problem where Grub4dos tells me it cannot see any frugally installed puppy in my chosen partition, only a fully installed one - and it then creates a menu list which is wrong. I have to manually rewrite the menu.list to get it to boot the puppy.

It is possible that this may be caused by the fact that the puppy I use most is unusual in its structure - having two main sfs files and no savefile - maybe Grub4dos does not recognise my layout as a valid frugal. I just haven't figured out yet what I am doing wrong with Grub4dos but I might make that specific problem the subject of a different thread.

Do you have a preferred tutorial for Grub4dos that you work from or do you just follow the onscreen prompts? (if so what exact choices do you make please? - maybe i am choosing the wrong ones - particularly around use of legacy grub etc)

greengeek

#27 Post by greengeek »

tlchost wrote:
Pelo wrote:. Last week i tried different boot systems for Xenialdog, for coming back to Lili usb creator, Fat 32.
Lili works great....i use it all the time
I had not heard of Lili before - I just had a look and if I am viewing the same product that you are referring to it seems very powerful - even allowing booting on Windows 8 - 10 hardware (if I understand it correctly...).

The one thing I don't like the look of is it seems a bit "automatic" for my liking and has it's own methods of setting up "persistence" - probably great for certain other Linux distros but I don't think I am going to be comfortable with it.

Worth highlighting as a way to set up a live Linux usb stick though.

Webpage here
Attachments
Lili.jpg
(12.32 KiB) Downloaded 372 times

tlchost

#28 Post by tlchost »

greengeek wrote:
The one thing I don't like the look of is it seems a bit "automatic" for my liking and has it's own methods of setting up "persistence" - probably great for certain other Linux distros but I don't think I am going to be comfortable with it.
oh yes...it is very automatic...perhaps why it has worked for for puppy and other OS.

Try it

greengeek

#29 Post by greengeek »

I had another trial of isobooter but this time only creating a single FAT32 partition and keeping it's size below 4GB but it still could not boot the Acer. Will keep trying various options.

Pelo

about Lili Live USB creator,

#30 Post by Pelo »

greengeek , and other usb sticks users, about Lili Live USB creator, i'ts to install an iso either from the cloud or from your computer.
It was my prefereed tool when I was a newbie, because easy to use 'automatic, as you say.
For newbies, unable to speak only one word of english, furthermore Linux terms, It is largely better than unetbootin.
Of course, having hardly studying your boot process, i generally use Grub4dos, must faster, and customizable.
Last edited by Pelo on Sun 14 Aug 2016, 22:29, edited 4 times in total.

bigpup

#31 Post by bigpup »

rockedge wrote:
run GRUB4DOS and select only the usb drive,then follow the steps and install the MBR
Most of my more recent puppy installs were made using Grub4dos - however I seem to run into a problem where Grub4dos tells me it cannot see any frugally installed puppy in my chosen partition, only a fully installed one - and it then creates a menu list which is wrong. I have to manually rewrite the menu.list to get it to boot the puppy.
Are you running Grub4dos config from a full install of Puppy?
If yes.
Grub4dos config has a bug when run in a Puppy full install.
It does not make a working menu.
It will work OK if you run it from a Puppy frugal install.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 269#890269
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Burn_IT

#32 Post by Burn_IT »

As I have said on this forum many times:
USB booting is very hit and miss and is not just a Puppy problem since the boot code is OS independent.
Sticks that work in one machine often won't in another and vice versa.
I have always had to carry several makes with boot stubs on them just to make sure I can get at my utilities. It is only the BOOTING that is an issue.
I build my own utility sets based on Grub4DOS and a modified Hiren's boot CD that keeps things as legal as possible.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Pelo

Usb booting however is easier than burn a CD

#33 Post by Pelo »

Usb booting however is easier than burn a CD, and faster.
Depending on the computers, perhaps, My USB run as well Acer and Medion. Hiren boot CD : info noticed if grub4dos would fail.
Tuto video boot USB
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 18 Aug 2016, 09:30, edited 1 time in total.

Burn_IT

#34 Post by Burn_IT »

Hiren tools are available on USB from his site as is a comprehensive guide to building USB tool kits.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Crash

#35 Post by Crash »

I use a varient of rockedge's to boot to a USB flash drive:

Boot to your favorite version of Puppy Linux on your main computer.

Mount the usb stick and use GParted to create a new partition spanning the entire drive and format to FAT2 then set the BOOT FLAG.

You can re-partition things later once everything is working.

Here is where I diverge:

Reboot the computer to a floppy disk that contains FreeDOS. I have a CD/DVD version if the computer
won't boot to floppy, and also have a USB external floppy drive that seems to work on about any computer.

The USB stick has to be plugged in BEFORE booting to FreeDOS. If successful, FreeDOS recognizes the USB
drive just fine. If there aren't any other mass storage devices enabled in the computer, the USB
drive appears as the C: drive.

SYS the USB thumb drive.

Then copy GRUB4DOS and FreeDOS's EDIT program to the USB drive.

Then re-boot and see if it works. Sometimes I need to go to the BIOS to get the computer to recognize
the USB drive.

If the FreeDOS sign-in appears, things are working well.

Then reboot and copy the three Puppy files (in my case, puppy_slacko_5.7.0.sfs, vmlinuz, and initrd.gz) to the root
or to a subdirectory on the flash drive. This can be done using either Puppy Linux or Windows.

Boot back to the USB thumb drive. Using MENU.LST of your choice, just type GRUB and the USB drive will
boot to Puppy Linux.

I have a stock MENU.LST that can be used, but since the USB drive has the EDIT utility, I can use it to
create a MENU.LST file from scratch.

I have used this method on at least a dozen USB thumb drives over the years. I keep a tiny thumb drive
on my key chain, and can boot to it using just about any computer that I happen to find.

This may seem like a roundabout way to create a Puppy Linux USB thumb drive, but I'm very used to it. The
nice thing to me is that any boot issues are pretty easy to isolate. I've booted thumb drives from
256 MB to 32GB using this method, with equal success.

I find that performance is really good no matter what computer I use as host. Since the frugal install
actually executes in RAM, it doesn't rely on the USB drive for performance.

Here is my typical MENU.LST:

Note with this version, I also have a don't care file called USBFLASH that GRUB looks for to set
the proper boot partition.

Code: Select all

timeout 5
default /default

title Slacko Puppy Linux 57 frugal install at /p57u
find --set-root /USBFLASH
kernel /p57u/vmlinuz psubdir=p57u pmedia=usbflash
initrd /p57u/initrd.gz

title Hard Drive hd1,0
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
chainloader +1

title commandline
commandline

title reboot
reboot

title halt
halt
I am typing this post using a USB flash drive installation. The particular flash drive is a Sandisk
Extreme 32GB, but it works with many others.

jeff757

#36 Post by jeff757 »

greengeek I suspect your "Studio 13.37" usb stick worked because you may have used ComboFlash.

sdb4 is first with the boot flag set because it is set up as a zipdrive for some machines that boot from a USB-ZIPDRIVE.

ldlinux.sys is on the stick because syslinux was used to prepare the stick to boot and syslinux.cfg is used to tell the computer what to do.

isolinux.cfg and isolinux.bin are there because the mounted iso appears to have been copied to the stick as evidenced by the presence of all other files in the iso.

LazY Puppy

#37 Post by LazY Puppy »

Before I had learned how to install Puppy from within a running Puppy I was using an installer under windows (it had made bootable USB drive using a file called syslinux.cfg).

Edit: found it. It was the com! Boot-Stick Builder 1.08 which had included a USB flash drive formatting tool - the HPUSBFW.EXE (HP-USBStick-Format-Tool for Windows)

Until the day I discovered grub4dos being usable on ext partitions I used to use vfat (fat32) formatted USB flash drives and USB hd drives (just a single partition).

Since I discovered grub4dos being usable on ext partitions I'm using generally ext2 for the boot partition and ext3 for the data partitions (had some problems in newer Puppies when ext3 was used for the boot partition).

Nowadays I'm using usually 3 (4) primary partitions (ext2, ext3, ext3) plus a swap partition.

Bootloader = grub4dos !

Never had met a machine that couldn't boot from such a USB flash or USB hd drive.
Last edited by LazY Puppy on Thu 02 Jun 2016, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

puppyluvr

#38 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
My syslinux.cfg
TIMEOUT 200
PROMPT 1
DEFAULT distro1
SAY Type 1 for Lupen
SAY Type 2 for Emsee
SAY Type 3 for Paw
SAY Type 4 for Lighthouse
SAY Type 5 for Studio64
SAY Type 6 for Studio
SAY Type 7 for Debiandog
SAY Type 8 for Hirens
SAY Type 9 for Precision
SAY Type 10 for Tahr

LABEL 1
KERNEL /Lupen/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/Lupen/initrd.gz

LABEL 2
KERNEL /mc/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/mc/initrd.gz

LABEL 3
KERNEL /paw/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/paw/initrd.gz

LABEL 4
KERNEL /lighthouse/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/lighthouse/initrd.xz

LABEL 5
KERNEL /studio/vmlinuz64
APPEND initrd=/studio/initrd64.gz

LABEL 6
KERNEL /studio/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/studio/initrd.gz

LABEL 7
KERNEL /dog/vmlinuz1 boot=live config persistent swapon quickreboot noprompt showmounts
APPEND initrd=/dog/initrd1.img

LABEL 8
KERNEL /grub.exe

LABEL 9
KERNEL /Precision/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/Precision/initrd.gz

LABEL 10
KERNEL /tahr/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/tahr/initrd.gz
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

greengeek

#39 Post by greengeek »

bigpup wrote:Are you running Grub4dos config from a full install of Puppy?
If yes.
Grub4dos config has a bug when run in a Puppy full install.
It does not make a working menu.
This is a difficult question to answer - my pup has two sfs files - the main puppy.sfs and also another personal.sfs which is layered above the main puppy.sfs (which would normally be top layer).

I don't know if it has any bearing on what Grub4dos does but maybe this unusual layering confuses grub4dos and it doesn't see it as a normal frugal install.

What actually defines "frugal" - is it simply that the files reside in a subdirectory?

Crash

#40 Post by Crash »

greengeek,

This is somewhat off the subject, but there is a big distinction between frugal
and full install. The full install must reside on a Linux file system like ext2 or ext3.
The frugal install can reside on other files systems such as fat32 or NTFS. I prefer
the frugal install for compatibility purposes - I can plug the USB thumb drive into
just about any computer and it can read/write to it.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure you are running a frugal install, since you mention the two sfs files.
Basically, the only files that are used for a frugal install are vmlinuz, initrd.gz,
puppyXXX.sfs, and your save file (pupsave.2fs or such).

There are lots of links that show up if you Google "Puppy Frugal". Here are some that
are useful:

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Frugal

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/FrugalOrFullInstallation

http://www.linuxgoodies.com/puppyfrugal.html

http://barryk.org/puppylinux/hard-puppy.htm