Ger back to hand-crafted tiny as possible Puppy making too

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
starhawk

#21 Post by starhawk »

Installed to USB with tazboot.exe on my mother's Windblows 7 laptop... I got a single line of Syslinux information without any menu or anything.

I knew I should've used ISObooter...!

EDIT: maybe you should've checked the MD5 instead of trashing it...? Works for me w/ ISOBooter... 16gb SanDisk Blade USB drive, here. Initial impression: nice, but (oddly enough) too dark a color scheme even for me...

But hey I'll play around with it a bit.

EDIT2: WiFi setup is *ahem* a little challenged. Giving up.

bigpup

#22 Post by bigpup »

Because you and I and other people may not agree on "what defines Puppy". In the end somebody has to make the call - and these days, it's the "Master Steward" (steward of Barry, that is). Puppy-comes-from-Woof-CE is what the Master Steward says for now. He can change his mind
The "Master Steward" of Puppy is now 01micko.
Barry K. turned full control of Puppy over to 01micko and the team members/stewards of Woof-CE.

In the past Barry K decided what was an official Puppy.

The people actively involved in running Woof-CE now decide what is an official Puppy.

They do have a somewhat loose guide on what it has to contain, but built from Woof-CE is part of it.
If nothing else, building using Woof-CE assures the new bug fixes and improved code gets into the next release of official Puppy. That is an important feature of using Woof-CE to build with.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Trobin

#23 Post by Trobin »

jamesbond wrote:

@Trobin - my comment on the official puppy above.

Anyway, what's this fascination with "officialdom"? DebianDog isn't puppy, let alone official, yet it works, and attracts ton of people - including the original poster of this thread; and in fact inspired him to make the post. You want to make an interesting puppy - doesn't matter whether it's official puppy, puppy, puplet, whatever ... just go do it, release and share with the world :lol:
As I understand it, using the puppy-unleashed method of puppy building, one used programs compiled and built for use in puppy. BUT if i should take the time to learn how to use puppy-unleashed, download all the necessary files from ibiblio to my hard drive, and build the most wonderful OS, uncontaminated by ubuntu, debian, slackware, or whatever distro, it will not be, to use the OP's words, considered to be a true, or official, puppy. Why? Because it wasn't built using Woof-CE. In my view, and this is only my opinion, that devalues any effort i may may wish to put into such a project. Before it even gets started.
[url]http://speakpup.blogspot.com[/url]

mcewanw

#24 Post by mcewanw »

jamesbond wrote: Anyway, what's this fascination with "officialdom"? DebianDog isn't puppy, let alone official, yet it works, and attracts ton of people - including the original poster of this thread; and in fact inspired him to make the post. You want to make an interesting puppy - doesn't matter whether it's official puppy, puppy, puplet, whatever ... just go do it, release and share with the world :lol:
Food for thought, indeed, that the majority of OS developments in this forum are probably not the official Puppies. I've never tried Fatdog, but it doesn't seem like an official Pup to me either (lol). nor is PuppyRus-A from my check of that. Nor indeed any of the DebianDog series (including MintPup and XenialDog). And even Quirky isn't an official Pup by 'the definition' as far as I know.

As for trying Slitaz, which is certainly not a Puppy at all...!

All I can say is I use the following menu.lst in my grub4dos (needs altered for which partition/folder you store the Slitaz files (only two required) bzImage and rootfs.gz in (I tried the 64bit kernel version but 32bit entry the same aside from the file names):

Code: Select all

title SliTaz cooking
 kernel (hd0,4)/slitaz/bzImage64 rw root=/dev/null vga=normal
 initrd (hd0,4)/slitaz/rootfs.gz
I do have Slitaz wireless working from Applications Menu -> Preferences -> Wi-Fi Configuration, which was much like using Frisbee (though whether Slitaz comes immediately with the required wifi drivers for your computer will depend on your computer type of course).

But back to main topic: I agree - perhaps the best way ahead is indeed to build our own system to match our own desires and publish it or not (or try and woof it should you have time/patience to learn woof in the first place).

And yes, publishing brings the weighty drawback of support, which is why we rely on Debian/Ubuntu/Slackware/Arch and so on so much nowadays to provide the basis - which is certainly why I was and remain attracted to DebianDog, which includes a lot of desired and imported Puppy functionality as an addition. But bloat of using big distribution repos (perfectly in this case) is the price again.

My original post in this thread has nothing to do with all these other distributions, nor the nonsense IMO of what a few view as 'official' or not.

William
github mcewanw