Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 19 Jun 2019, 19:58
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Firefox gtk3
Page 4 of 5 [63 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Moat

PostPosted: Fri 06 May 2016, 17:16    Post subject: Re: Why build Firefox-46 the Fedora way?  

Keisha wrote:
The lower screencap is Firefox-46, as described. It was built with exactly one change: the line
Code:
ac_add_options --enable-default-toolkit=cairo-gtk2
has been added to mozconfig.

Ahh - thanks - just what I was wondering. So, in essence, a Puppy-specific build of Firefox 46 (and up) should really only require this single change in mozconfig, from defaults, to rescue the use of all of our favorite gtk2 themes. Sounds too easy. Smile

In various Puppy's, I've never had any issue running the standard .tar.bz2 downloads from Mozilla (from on whatever platform they were built/compiled), so it seems strange that you are seeing differences between building in Puppy and Fedora. If I get some time, I may give building FF46 a shot in Mint with the above config change (and disable auto updating, while I'm at it) to see what happens, how it runs in my Precise pup. Just need more spare time!

Yes - have been anxiously awaiting the release of stable/final LXQt (as I do like LXDE - peebee dropped a new LxPup Xenial 7.0.1 to the forum just today!). I recall the QT library being rather sizeable, though... maybe not the best choice for a Puppy build.

Thanks!

p.s. - Still having issues with oem FF46 "picking up" themes after changing. Bugger! Confused

Bob
Keisha

PostPosted: Sat 07 May 2016, 13:52    Post subject: Re: Why build Firefox-46 the Fedora way?  

Moat wrote:
...So, in essence, a Puppy-specific build of Firefox 46 (and up) should really only require this single change in mozconfig, from defaults, to rescue the use of all of our favorite gtk2 themes.

Yes, provided you are starting from the Fedora build method, as described in my other thread, not the Mozilla build method. Building it in TahrPup the Mozilla way produces an unstable firefox. Perhaps due to gcc version incompatibilities.

Moat wrote:
In various Puppy's, I've never had any issue running the standard .tar.bz2 downloads from Mozilla (from on whatever platform they were built/compiled), so it seems strange that you are seeing differences between building in Puppy and Fedora.

I take back what I wrote before. The "Firefox 46 built in Fedora to use gtk2 which will play the problematic video" turns out to have been erroneously built to use gtk3 after all.

Moat wrote:
...Still having issues with oem FF46 "picking up" themes after changing...

I have downloaded your Chloe-Precise and will try building both a gtk2 and a gtk3 firefox-46 the Fedora way in that. A new Fedora package 46.0.1.1 was released this morning, superseding 46.0.5, I'll study what differences there are in the build method. Not gonna happen til at least Monday or Tuesday, more likely Wednesday, though.

Overall, I think a more efficient strategy going forward is to figure out how to port our favorite themes to gtk3. It looks like the overall aim of the LX, gtk3, and qt developers is to ultimately arrive at an LXQt based on a merging of gtk3 and qt into a single harmonized toolkit. So, for now, porting themes to gtk3 is the music and the step we need to mind. The Adwaita theme exists in variants for all three toolkits --gtk2, gtk3, and qt-- so it might serve as an example. And Clearlooks-Phenix carries gtk2, gtk3, and openbox-3 specifications. So by combining ideas from the two we may be able to arrive at a single theme which will suffice for any openbox-equipped distro.

I have tried starting gtk3 firefox (both the Mozilla binary, and a Fedora-method build) using the line
Code:
GTK2_RC_FILES='/usr/share/themes/Stardust-vector--Greybird/gtk-2.0/gtkrc' firefox
. No effect. This means, I presume, there is no gtk2 engine-calling code in a gtk3 firefox. Hmm... Idea I wonder if they are mutually exclusive, or if it is possible to build firefox specifying *both* gtk2 and gtk3. More specifically, if the firefox source can be patched to call cairo-gtk2 code to display the widgets, but have embedded videos which call gtk be re-routed to call cairo-gtk3 code not cairo-gtk2, then this would solve the problem.

I notice that, in the seamonkey-2.40 source, there are both gtk2 and gtk3 widget sources in mozilla/widget/gtk, as well as both a "gtk2drawing.c" and a "gtk3drawing.c" in mozilla/widgets. *Aha* there's a moz.build in the seamonkey-2.40 mozilla/widget/gtk/mozgtk/gtk3 but not in the firefox-46.0.1. And sure enough, seamonkey-2.40 has --enable-default-toolkit=cairo-gtk2 in the about:buildconfig and yet it plays the problematic video just fine.

Unfortunately I must go to work now and will be busy tomorrow all day (Mother's Day), so won't get to see if building firefox-46 with --enable-default-toolkit=cairo-gtk2, and with a moz.build grafted into widget/gtk/mozgtk/gtk3, will solve the problem, until Tuesday at the earliest. Feel free to beat me to it, if you can.

Moat

PostPosted: Sat 07 May 2016, 17:10    Post subject: Re: Why build Firefox-46 the Fedora way?  

Hi Keisha -

Keisha wrote:
I have downloaded your Chloe-Precise...

Whoa... I hope you don't mind it, and was worth the time/bandwidth! Embarassed Smile Part of the reason it's so fat is I've filled it with themes (and lots of other eye candy). In attempting to trim some of that fat, I recently went through the themes and deleted all of the unused cruft that came included with those themes... meaning the gtk-3.0 dirs (along with Metacity, Icewm, etc.). I am now kicking myself (hard) for having done so! Confused Will have to search through my previous remasters and find the pre-thinned theme set, restore them and remaster yet again...

BTW - Chloe's Firefox (45.0.1) is set to not auto-update - but of course will manually via the Help/About menu. Lots of other about:config tweaks, too (cache in RAM, blocklist disabled, bookmarks backups = 1, etc...). And a very useful, tweaked set of addons.

Keisha wrote:
Overall, I think a more efficient strategy going forward is to figure out how to port our favorite themes to gtk3.

Absolutely. If the Puppy community doesn't get behind that, it's just a matter of time before Puppy could really be left out in the cold, it seems.

Keisha wrote:
... or if it is possible to build firefox specifying *both* gtk2 and gtk3.

Wondering the same, myself. A no-brainer, really, for Mozilla to have done precisely that with their oem builds - given the blatant potential for these exact issues we're seeing. This gives me the unfortunate impression that it may not be possible. Interested to hear what you may find in that regard.

Keisha wrote:
Feel free to beat me to it, if you can.

Ha Smile You are clearly well ahead of this neophyte with package building/compiling (only successfully compiled once or thrice in my lifetime - small, simple packages). I will do what I can, though... although my focus should probably be better spent on the gtk theme side of things, of which I'm quite a bit more familiar. I must find the time...

In any case - and again - don't go out of your way for my sake, whatsoever! No hurries here - the overall Puppy community benefit is more important than nobody me. Smile

Thanks yet again,

Bob
Sailor Enceladus

PostPosted: Sun 08 May 2016, 13:43    Post subject:  

Keisha wrote:
On Fedora-23 or TahrPup64-605CE it takes just over an hour on my i5-3570k, 3.7 GHz (hardinfo 0.5.2pre CPU Blowfish = 2.66 seconds), using 2 cores, no difference using 3 cores, not using swap. I have 8 GB of ram but during the firefox build even on 64-bit Fedora-23 I never see ram usage exceed 2.83 GB (at idle, firefox running, F23 uses 2.21GB).

For my "fedzilla" build, add 15 minutes for make clean, the preliminary patching, and configure, and then about half an hour afterward to uncompress the omni.ja's, make the .sfs, and then reboot to load the .sfs fresh and see that it loads and runs.

All in all, with coffee breaks and the time between when the build finishes and when I notice it's finished, plus other distractions, about two hours per trial build.

Of course, overnight I can run multiple trial builds simultaneously.

This is a homebuilt tower, temperature is not an issue.

Some nice info there Keisha, thanks! I ended up doing 9 compiles before finding a balance of speed, size, and features that felt good enough for me, I think. Making a 4GB swap file definitely helps for when adding --enable-release on a 1GB ram laptop, the libxul.so building at the end was the only thing that used it, but when it did it actually went up to 1999-2026MB of swap and was hovering around that amount for 45 minutes, way more than I figured it would need, thrashing my hard drive like crazy the entire time. Good thing I didn't set it only to 1 or 2GB of swap or it would have just froze my system again at the very end - lol. That to me says that you need at least 4GB ram in total (normal + swap) to compile FF28 with --enable-release, since it was stealing just over 3GB, and it seems to only use the swap when it really has to. I was surprised at how easy it was to create a swap partition though, just shrink the last partition down by 4GB in GParted then add a "linux-swap" partition in it's empty place and reboot, and puppy will find it and use it. I think I will keep the 4GB swap around now for rare situations like this, so I don't have to watch my ram usage at all or have to close every program when I have too many windows or Firefox tabs open, heh...

Belham wrote:
Why all the FF compilng fuss??

I have the same outlook when it comes to cooking. Why spend 5 hours in the kitchen preparing a meal when you can just eat cereal or make microwave spaghetti in 5 minutes? And Instant Coffee is easier, you don't have to clean out the filter! Laughing
Keisha

PostPosted: Mon 09 May 2016, 00:37    Post subject:  

Sailor Enceladus wrote:
...Why spend 5 hours in the kitchen preparing a meal when you can just eat cereal or make microwave spaghetti in 5 minutes? And Instant Coffee is easier, you don't have to clean out the filter! Laughing

Not me. I'm no professional chef, but I can't stand fast food, and I'm a bachelor so do my own cooking. Last night's supper was beef stew with sourdough bread. Tonight was broiled pork chops and broccoli. Tomorrow night it'll be red snapper-and-shrimp cioppino. All homemade from scratch. And I'm as fussy about my browser as I am my food.

Sailor Enceladus wrote:
...I ended up doing 9 compiles before finding a balance of speed, size, and features that felt good enough for me, I think...

I've done more than fifty in the last nine days.

I've finally given up on finding the answer myself and have posted it as a question on the Mozilla support forum:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1121969

Sailor Enceladus wrote:
...Making a 4GB swap file definitely helps for when adding --enable-release on a 1GB ram laptop, the libxul.so building at the end...

Ah--you're right, I didn't notice that before. I just saw it spike to 5.78 GB of ram while building libxul.so.

Sailor Enceladus

PostPosted: Mon 09 May 2016, 10:45    Post subject:  

Keisha wrote:
I've done more than fifty in the last nine days.

I've finally given up on finding the answer myself and have posted it as a question on the Mozilla support forum:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1121969

Cool, from your link I found a neat custom build of FF46 that uses gtk2 here: Light, a light firefox

Just click on the light-46.0.en-US.linux-i686-gtk2.rpm (or 64) under Files/46 and it will appear under Menu -> Internet. Very Happy
linuxcbon

PostPosted: Mon 09 May 2016, 10:56    Post subject:  

Interesting, did you succeed in compiling firefox 46 with gtk-2 ? If not, what is the bug and did you fill a bug report to mozilla ?
Keisha

PostPosted: Mon 09 May 2016, 12:01    Post subject: Firefox 46 answer to linuxcbon  

linuxcbon wrote:
Interesting, did you succeed in compiling firefox 46 with gtk-2 ? If not, what is the bug and did you fill a bug report to mozilla ?

Hello linuxcbon,

It is trivial to compile firefox-46 to display scrollbars in obeyance to a gtk2-only theme such as Stardust. All it needs is the line in mozconfig
Code:
ac_add_options --enable-default-toolkit=cairo-gtk2

This produces a firefox-46 which will display scrollbars from Stardust. However, this firefox-46, unlike the official binary release from Mozilla (which is compiled with cairo-gtk3, the first version to be compiled cairo-gtk3 by default), will not play the video at http://www.smithsonianmag.com/videos/category/history/how-to-unroll-a-dead-sea-scroll-without-destroying/?no-ist

Apparently the "video is loading" spinning-circle of this video is a gtk3 widget, and it baffles firefox-46 when recompiled to be able to handle a gtk2-only scrollbars-etc. theme.

Seamonkey-240, which was compiled by default (both by Mozilla and Fedora) to use cairo-gtk2 (like all firefoxes prior to 46), does display Stardust scrollbars and will play the video.

Therefore I deduce that, somewhere along the way from Seamonkey-240 (and its equivalent Firefox version, 43) something in the gtk handling has been broken. So my question to the Mozilla developers is, what subdirectory or subdirectories in the ff43/sm240 sourcecode must I swap into the ff46 sourcecode, in order to get the superior gtk handling of ff43/sm240.

The good folks at https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1121969 were unable to help me, so I have now posted the question at http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=3004619&e=0.

Funny, how people's feathers get ruffled when I suggest that somehow 43 might be in some way superior to 46. Modernity prejudice.

Another, unrelated question, which I have not addressed to the official Mozilla forums, is that, when built in either Fedora-23 or TahrPup64-605CE, firefox-46 when built with the CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS shown by the release binary's about:buildconfig produces an unstable firefox.

Perhaps the instability has to do with the fact that the official release binary was compiled (according to about:buildconfig) with gcc 4.7.3 and Fedora-23 carries gcc 5.3.1. At the moment I don't have TahrPup64-605CE available to check its gcc version.

When built (in either Fedora-23 or TP64) using the linker flags of the official Fedora build, it is stable.

But even this stable build of 46 still does not have the gtk 2+3 capability of Seamonkey-240 and (I presume) Firefox-43, as demonstrated by the ability to simultaneously handle Stardust theming and play the problematic video.

Last edited by Keisha on Mon 09 May 2016, 12:28; edited 2 times in total
linuxcbon

PostPosted: Mon 09 May 2016, 12:25    Post subject:  

OK then it's better that you open bug reports in mozilla bugzilla.
Keisha

PostPosted: Mon 09 May 2016, 12:27    Post subject:  

Yes, if I don't get an answer in the forums then that is what I must learn to do.
linuxcbon

PostPosted: Mon 09 May 2016, 12:32    Post subject:  

Keisha wrote:
Yes, if I don't get an answer in the forums then that is what I must learn to do.

forums don't have answers for new bugs in general.
Report bugs as you find them at : https://bugzilla.mozilla.org
Keisha

PostPosted: Tue 10 May 2016, 04:16    Post subject:  

Sailor Enceladus wrote:
...I found a neat custom build of FF46 that uses gtk2 here: Light, a light firefox...

Yes indeed. This one passes all four tests!

Moreover, I've been able to locally compile it myself, based on the about:buildconfig, but adding --enable-system-cairo. I still don't know what the secret linker flag switch or configure setting is, that enables it to work, but...Woohoo!

Now to see whether it can be compiled in Precise-5.7.1-retro...

peebee

PostPosted: Tue 10 May 2016, 04:32    Post subject:  

Keisha wrote:
Sailor Enceladus wrote:
...I found a neat custom build of FF46 that uses gtk2 here: Light, a light firefox...

I've made an sfs of light-46.0

I'm considering making it the default web browser in LxPupSc delivered as an adrv in the iso....(to replace PaleMoon)

In my tests it runs the UK's BBC iPlayer OOTB Very Happy

Puppus Dogfellow

PostPosted: Sat 14 May 2016, 02:29    Post subject:  

peebee wrote:
Keisha wrote:
Sailor Enceladus wrote:

I've made an sfs of light-46.0

I'm considering making it the default web browser in LxPupSc delivered as an adrv in the iso....(to replace PaleMoon)

In my tests it runs the UK's BBC iPlayer OOTB Very Happy

i made a pet from your sfs--it's really working well for me as well. thanks.

main differences from standard firefox are its quickness and lack of sync feature.
perdido

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jun 2016, 22:59    Post subject:  

Not mentioned in this thread yet - Puppy Precise 5.7.1 can run firefox 46.xx and later by installing the libgtk-3 package
[̶u̶r̶l̶=̶h̶t̶t̶p̶:̶/̶/̶p̶a̶c̶k̶a̶g̶e̶s̶.̶u̶b̶u̶n̶t̶u̶.̶c̶o̶m̶/̶p̶r̶e̶c̶i̶s̶e̶/̶l̶i̶b̶g̶t̶k̶-̶3̶-̶0̶]̶l̶i̶b̶g̶t̶k̶-̶3̶-̶0̶_̶3̶.̶4̶.̶2̶-̶0̶u̶b̶u̶n̶t̶u̶0̶.̶9̶_̶i̶3̶8̶6̶.̶d̶e̶b̶[̶/̶u̶r̶l̶]̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶d̶e̶p̶e̶n̶d̶e̶n̶c̶i̶e̶s̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶u̶p̶p̶y̶ ̶p̶a̶c̶k̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶m̶a̶n̶a̶g̶e̶r̶.̶

Link to pet package since other link broken. These gtk3 libs do not overwrite any gtk2 stuff, just adds gtk3 for puppy precise 5.7.1
http://www.ibm-pc.org/puppy/libgtk-3-0_3.4.2_i386_precise.pet

----------------------------------------------------------------
firefox update gtk3 gtk-3 libgtk-3.so.0 libmozgtk.so dead-horse

Last edited by perdido on Tue 25 Jul 2017, 22:51; edited 1 time in total
Page 4 of 5 [63 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: