#2 Post by Atle »

Wow this is nice...

Hope to see more from you mr...

Atle

mikeslr

Possible Alternatives

#3 Post by mikeslr »

Hi kalimorphe,

Very nice finds. Thanks for bringing them to our attention.

Just wanted to suggest some alternatives. I followed your links to the videos and watched them. The author of the second video recommends the use of a Full Install, with android-sdk, android-studio and genymotion being installed into it.

From experience, both android-sdk and android-studio can be downloaded and unpacked onto any Linux formatted partitions and run from there. [I did not download genymotion. $412 per year per user is a little steep. My interest isn't to create android apps –the objective of geanymotion--but rather to port Puppy Linux to an Android Tablet].

One potential problem with using a Full Install arises because unlike Linux distros which require a Full install, Puppy Linux lacks their full featured package management systems. Applications installed into a Puppy Full Install, and particularly modifications made to those applications may be “un-doable

Atle

#4 Post by Atle »

Such a SFS is wanted dead or alive :-)

gcmartin

+1 PuppyLinux solution for managing & extending IoT devices

#5 Post by gcmartin »

This is excellent, showing a way to have PUPPY generate needs for devices purchased or brought home for various home needs.

I would also like to share, just in case it was overlooked, that @BarryK has created a Puppy distro, Appril, that is a OOTB, running development platform for Puppy, Linux, Android and Apple.

Its problem is that there is no video and very little known in this Forum community. I view it as1 year ahead of its "Puppy discovery time" as more and more need for such in the home is needed.

If for no other reason, it bears a look at it. Boot it. If you have any experience with mobile development, you will notice the minor additions it needs for it to be a true 2016 Pup platform for home use with all elements for mobile generation needs we could ever have.

This is NOT a request to shift gears, as it is a post to alert that there is a PUP which can be easily viewed that has the foundation for IoT and mobile needs as well as having a Puppy Linux look, feel, and operation.

Alert: The one item that was overlooked in this distro was "Touch"! And any new distro MUST incorporate "touch" as now 5.3 billion smartPhones, smartTables, smartDevices and AIO laptops/convertables/2in1s are now in the world with touch. Touch and gesture control is everywhere. I can, now, open my car/SUV doors with a gesture for those who see the world's movement.

Hope this is helpful

mikeslr

Setting Up Android Studio -- 2nd thoughts

#6 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

I've played with android-sdk and android-studio some more. I can now see why a Full Install was recommended. I think the author failed to mention two very important requirements: You need a great deal of storage space and the more RAM the better. And it probably doesn't hurt to have a powerful CPU. Just starting either on a system employing AMD Phenom II X4 920 @ 2.8GHz and 4 Gb or RAM had Htop jumping back and forth from 25 % to 60 % during the installation of selectable components. Operations, thereafter, appear to be at about 7% over Tahrpup64's base CPU usage of 3%.

I run Frugal Installs with a SaveFile and with Automatic Save removed. If you unfamiliar with thie method of operation see, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 326#662326. Both these applications require the presence of the Java framework. Oscartalks' jdk-8u77-i586.sfs works fine. But I have to remember to load it :oops: and if I want it loaded at bootup to execute a Manual Save. jdk-8u77-i586.sfs occupies 176 Mb of my /mnt/home partition.

In this environment, in the absence of SFSes of these applications, the best way for me to run them is as Program Folders. A Program Folder is simply a Folder outside of “Puppy Space

kalimorphe

question ?

#7 Post by kalimorphe »

Thank you mikeslr. I see you are more experienced than me.I am newbie in puppy linux . your post is just complete and detailed . tell me if I am wrong in this case it's better to install puppy in full install than frugal install.

gcmartin

Describe the difference between FULL PUP install versus DVD

#8 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Kalimorphe

DVD/CD/Frugal, all, run with their filesystems in RAM with the ability to save all work to a save-session. The aid in this is that the boot media is, or can be, portable. If you choose to use the boot media on another PC, in most every case, at boot time you select F2, "puppy pfix=ram" and it will boot pristine. This operates under the concept that the PC's RAM is the local peripheral which becomes "kinda" FULL, once booted because the filesystem for operation exist in RAM and looks like a local device during system operations.

Full boots from AND runs totally on your boot local media; namely HDD/SSD/USB/SD. Every change is immediate on media and there is NO save-session concept. The filesystem exist on the media, ONLY. Once installed to local media and used, the concept of getting back to pristine is lost forever. As such, it "brands" itself in the FULL system to the PC you installed to; thus moving the media to another PC would result in you having to "jump thru hoops"; albeit minor, nonetheless, because the chipset is probably different from the PC you originally FULL installed on.

Each approach has its own advantages-disadvantages. So it up to you to choose what you feel is the best approach for your needs. Both yield a running Puppy Linux. Further if you choose to take a particular PUP ISO and install it as FULL, it will have the exact same elements that a DVD/CD/Frugal boot offers. ... EXACT.

Primarily, though they have the same operation and app offering, each mainly differs in RAM use. Theoretically, DVD/CD/Frugal to RAM will perform faster than FULL: With FULL, more stuff can be run simultaneously, overall.

Hope this is helpful

mikeslr

Frugal Install

#9 Post by mikeslr »

Hi kalimorphe,

Short answer: Unless your computer has less than 516 Mb of Ram and/or a low powered CPU [in which case it probably doesn't have the capacity to use android-sdk, android-studio in a meaningful manner) a Frugal install is almost always the better choice.

One other exception would be if the software you want to run won't function properly or completely under a Frugal Install. Trying to determine whether that was the case was one reason for my exploration.

Both android-sdk and android-studio seem to be fully functional when run from folders on a Linux-formatted partition when run from a Frugal Install.

Somewhere in the documentation of one or the other I ran across a reference to Eclipse, the tools for Java developers. So I decided to see if there was any problem using that tool from a Frugal Puppy. You can obtain the installer here: https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/downl ... x32.tar.gz

As in the previous post, I used UExtract to decompress the targ.gz file. I then left-clicked the file named "eclipse-inst" which opened a web-browser with choices of eclipse to install. I chose the first as it appeared the least specific. The installer enabled me to select /mnt/home as the location to install the application. When it asked for a Work Folder, however, I had to open my file manager and create one named "eclipse-workspace". The installer readily accepted that chose. When the installer completed its tasks, I found a folder at /mnt/home named java-mars. Within it was folder named eclipse, and within that a binary named eclipse. Left-clicking it started the application. [Of course, Java has to be present for it to run).

Mars is the current stable version of Eclipse. The java-mars folder with contents took up about 23 Mbs. Unlike my experience with android-sdk, it isn't movable - copyable. Not a great draw-back as I suspect the product of using it will be in the work-folder. So deleting, rebuilding mars-eclipse or even substituting neon-eclipse (due the end of June) will not result in loss of work.

The basic reason I only recommend a Full install for computers which aren't powerful enough to function well using a Frugal Install is that if you make a mistake and install something you shouldn't, or an application makes some change to your setup it is very difficult --sometimes impossible-- to recover.

With a Frugal Install, however, your operating system is made up of READ-ONLY Files; that is you can't change them. The only READ-WRITE file you have is a SaveFile or SaveFolder into which new applications are written. You can easily backup these files before experimenting. You can also avoid automatic-saves to them: the only changes to them are when you choose to do so. So set up, you can install any application and merely "restart-X" or "restart-graphical server" --this causes Puppy to re-examine what now makes up your operating system in RAM-- and test the new application. Shutting down without Saving, wipes it from memory. On reboot, it is as if the new application was never there.

Frugal installs are just great for trying new things; experimenting; pushing the limits of your computer and your own. Having to reformat your partition and re-install a Puppy because you tried something you shouldn't have just isn't what I want from an operating system.

mikesLr

kalimorphe

thanks

#10 Post by kalimorphe »

Thank you mikeslr and gcmartin :D