How to play a movie from files on a DVD?

Booting, installing, newbie
theru

#21 Post by theru »

Maybe this helps, can't test it myself

https://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation ... n_audio_CD

It looks like vlc accesses the device (dvd drive), not the mountpoint

Rope

#22 Post by Rope »

error
http://pastie.org/private/idu8vfmhb6obrcqbkjnl6w

I don't know what
[@raw_device][@[title][:[chapter][:angle]]]
is
Puppy Slacko 5.7 frugal
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ : 2109.87MHz
Total Memory : 967356 kB

wow

#23 Post by wow »

Rope, y probaste con otros discos de DVD video u otra versión de puppy? Es posible que el error sea específicamente de ese disco.
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://i.imgur.com/M4OyHe1.gif[/img][/url]

theru

#24 Post by theru »

The instructions I've linked to say you need to put /dev in your path, not /mnt. VLC accesses the dvd device directly, it doesn't go through a mountpoint.

In your case vlc dvdsimple:///dev/sr0 should work. Note the 3 forward slashes.

Here is a youtube video with more information about DVD titles and chapters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgLa3uaGQcM

Rope

#25 Post by Rope »

theru wrote:The instructions I've linked to say you need to put /dev in your path, not /mnt. VLC accesses the dvd device directly, it doesn't go through a mountpoint.

In your case vlc dvdsimple:///dev/sr0 should work. Note the 3 forward slashes.

Here is a youtube video with more information about DVD titles and chapters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgLa3uaGQcM
Thanks. It does not work

http://pastie.org/private/mskxhtsz6qblhdsftwmflq
Puppy Slacko 5.7 frugal

theru

#26 Post by theru »

This is indeed puzzling. At this point I'm not sure what the problem is. Does vlc play other types of media? Some people claim success by resetting the dvd region of the drive but I've never done that.

If I had this problem I would probably try the following:

- Change the video output to something basic like X11. That way vlc works even when video acceleration doesn't.

- Start vlc from the command line, try to play a few types of files and see what works and which errors are logged in the terminal.

- If vlc doesn't start, try cvlc to see if files play without the gui

- See if mplayer gets the dvd playing: mplayer dvdnav:// -dvd-device /dev/sr0 (/dev/dvd should also work. Last time I checked it exists as a symlink to /dev/sr0. If it doesn't exist it can be created easily using the following command: ln -s /dev/sr0 /dev/dvd)

- Try to take the dvd drive out of the equation by copying the video to the hard drive. Most puppies come with a tool named pdvdrsab that allows you to make a backup of a dvd and remove the encryption.

- Boot without a savefile and see if that makes a difference

- Try another pup and see how that works. If you prefer vlc it comes by default with Tahrpup

Really at this point I can't come up with solutions other then some basic troubleshooting. If I were really desparate I would even try the windows version of vlcportable in wine as I know that has it's own set of codecs included.

I will try to look into this when I've got more time.
Last edited by theru on Mon 02 May 2016, 19:18, edited 1 time in total.

fabrice_035

#27 Post by fabrice_035 »

For me Gnome Player can play dvd in Slacko 5.7

theru

#28 Post by theru »

I have done some testing on slacko5.7 using an older netbook. When I try to play a ripped dvd from folder in gmplayer it complains about not finding /dev/dvd and refuses to play. I got much better results with smplayer which I installed using the package manager.

I could also run it from the command line with mplayer: mplayer dvdnav:// dvd-device /path/to/folder -vo x11 -mouse-movements

-vo x11 was needed because X11 was the only video output that worked on that netbook (should work on any hardware that gets X running). -mouse-movements allows to use the mouse in the dvd menu. Without that option navigation is done with the arrow keys.

It also seemed to start with vlc (also downloaded with package manager) but that was a bit heavy for the underpowered netbook.

update: I have booted slacko fresh on my main pc. GMplayer still throws a fit about /dev/dvd even when I run from a folder on the harddrive. Mplayer works well from the command line.

I updated the package manager and restarted it (the package manager, not the pc) for the changes to take effect. After that I installed smplayer and vlc and was surprised about the size of the dependencies (over a 100 MB for QT4 alone? Really?). This is because Slackware, unlike Ubuntu, includes the development files with the packages. With Ubuntu you need to install those separately. SMplayer 0.6.9 standalone was an exception to this, less then half the size of the others, dependencies included.

I decided to use the versions from the slacko repositories since they are "smaller".

VLC 2.1.0 installed fine but PPM seemed to hang at the post-install dependency check. I decided to run it anyway, it worked flawlessly, dvd menu included.

SMplayer also worked well but dvd menus are disabled by default. To enable them you need to go into preferences, drives tab and check "enable dvd menu (experimental)". After that the menus worked just fine.

So on Slacko the dvd ran from the command line out of the box, for a gui I needed to install another media player.

Tahrpup comes with vlc by default instead of gmplayer which gave me an easier way to run dvd's out of the box.

Rope

#29 Post by Rope »

Is there a . SMplayer 0.6.9 standalone for Slacko?
Puppy Slacko 5.7 frugal

theru

#30 Post by theru »

All media players I've tried were either included or downloaded using the package manager. Smplayer 0.6.9 standalone is available in the package manager after you've updated the database and selected the right repository in the preferences window.

The quickest way to get it is to download it directly from the repository:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pe ... 9-i686.pet

You can also install it using the package manager after you've followed the following steps:

- In ppm click the "update now" button to update the repositories. This can take a while depending on your system's performance.

- After the update restart ppm to apply the changes.

- When you have restarted ppm you'll see some new repositories in the list in the preferences window including puppy-slacko-official (which is not the same as puppy-slacko14-official). Check this repository to add it to the list in the main window. Make sure no more then 5 repositories are checked. Restart the ppm to apply the changes.

- After restarting the ppm search for smplayer using the "find" function. Search in all repositories. Alternatively you can find smplayer 0.6.9 standalone in the multimedia section of puppy-slacko-official.

I hope I haven't bored you too much with my lengthy explanations. If you have any more questions feel free to ask them.

Mike Walsh

#31 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Rope.

I'm extremely surprised that you found Oscar's 'vlc-2.1.0-i686-nodeps-s14.sfs' package didn't work. I have myself been using it for some time in Slacko 5.7.0, and it's always worked flawlessly.

Oscar's compiled it with all necessary dependencies already built into it, so it will work as a standalone package. For me, it plays DVDs without a hitch.

This sounds rather as though something basic is missing from your Puppy...or your internet connection isn't fully downloading stuff. Unfortunately, not everything has an md5# checksum provided for corroboration.

However, I will also agree with theru about SMPlayer; it is indeed a lot smaller than the others, and it, too, works well in Slacko 570. The advice about downloading direct from the repo is sound; go along with it.

Mike. :wink:

Rope

#32 Post by Rope »

Thanks Mike.

How strange. I tried in Slacko 5.7, 6 and other puppies.

SMPlayer; has lots of dependencies in ppm why do you say it is small?
Puppy Slacko 5.7 frugal

8Geee

#33 Post by 8Geee »

Slacko5.7 has mPlayer that works. Yu may not like Slacko5.7 and/or MPlayer... but it works.
Always works on my DVDmovies. Plug-in USB, Load movie, and wait for menu.

Regaards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

theru

#34 Post by theru »

If I understand it correctly Rope has problems using gmplayer, a gtk gui for mplayer.

Smplayer is a qt gui for mplayer. The reason smplayer appears to be so big is because of the qt libs. The total size of packages needed to install is a lot less on systems that already have qt installed.

I don't know the details about smplayer standalone but my guess the libraries needed for the player have been pulled from other packages and bundled with the smplayer package. I can imagine this to be a time consuming process involving a lot of testing.

Rope

#35 Post by Rope »

Theru smplayer standalone can play the movie if I drag and drop video_ts folder
Strange that the total time is not correct, like it shows the time for the first file
The audio/video synchronization is not exact, there is a bit of difference.
I have to do more testing.

Now that I installed smplayer standalone, VLC sfs does not work well :(

Thanks to all for your time
Puppy Slacko 5.7 frugal

theru

#36 Post by theru »

I was annoyed by the size of the qt dependency of smplayer so I decided to create my own version of smplayer 0.8.5 standalone. Only tested if it opens and plays stuff. It's highly experimental so use at your own risk.

If anyone is interested here is the link:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/dd61o ... dalone.pet

Creating it was not as difficult as I first expected. Ubuntu has a tendency to split everything up in smaller packages so it's version of smplayer was much lighter on dependencies. I made a list of the files in the qt packages that the ubuntu version of smplayer needed and pulled what I thought was needed from the dependencies of the slackware version of smplayer. The end result weighed in at less then 40 MB. I took a conservative approach so I'm sure it can be made even smaller.

norgo

How to play a movie DVD under the use of SMPlayer

#37 Post by norgo »

How to play a movie DVD under the use of SMPlayer

Download the desired SMPlayer version
from OscarTalks repository or from here
and install it on your system.
Of course mplayer installation is required too. (already builtin in slacko)

Start SMPlayer to adjust audio and video driver

Preferences->General

Video Output driver - xv
Audio output driver - alsa

is a good choice ( but dependent on your hardware and installed driver )

also important is to choose the right drive

Drives - Select your DVD device - /dev/dvd
or /dev/sr0 ( in your case )

Insert DVD into your drive

do not mount your disc and do not try to play a video object file ( *.vob )

Select

Open-> Disc-> DVD from drive

theru

#38 Post by theru »

Norgo the player you've linked to doesn't work on slacko 5.7. The error seems to be qt related. I'm sure the latest version of smplayer will work when it's compiled on Slacko 5.7. I will do that when I have the time.

OscarTalks

#39 Post by OscarTalks »

There is a SMPlayer ("standalone" with Qt libs included) compiled in Slacko 5.7 in my repo. It has slack14.0 in the name.

EDIT:- Newer version 16.4.0 svn7831 compiled and uploaded

I would also recommend upgrading mplayer even though it adds to the size. Compile from svn trunk or use my gMplayer.
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
There is also Peasy DVD Player front-end by rcrsn51 here:-
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=87749

I suspect there is some other issue going on here though. I hardly ever play DVD's but as far as I know it is usually quite straight forward.
Last edited by OscarTalks on Wed 11 May 2016, 10:11, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar in England

theru

#40 Post by theru »

Finally got around having a go at compiling and packaging smplayer myself. Hit some obstacles but I think I got it right.

Qt libs are included. Please let me know what you think.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/e1c4g ... dalone.pet