2.13beta: X won't start with config file

Please post any bugs you have found
raffy

Working better now - thanks!

#21 Post by raffy »

Thanks, Barry, it works better now.

The initial screen now doesn't display the impossible resolutions like the 1x1 shown by the old script. Am a bit lost there, however, since as soon as I press ENTER to choose a resolution, I am dropped to the command line.

So I figured that what am missing is "test" as a next step. So rather than press ENTER immediately, I chose "Fix" then ENTER, and in the second round of screen test, it settled for 75 Mhz for 800x600x16 (hey, that used to be 72, so we're better-off here).

Henry

#22 Post by Henry »

Happy New Year, and appreciation to Barry and all for Puppy development and help.

Naturally I eagerly tried 2.13 beta today. It malfunctioned for me in apparently the same way as did 2.13 beta 1 (above). In other words, it does not run with my existing config, but 2.12 always does.

I first tried it with no configuration file. It worked (it did ask me to manually specify the video resolution, a change that I think was mentioned in the rel. notes). Then I restarted, it saved pup_sav.2fs and restarted - no problem.

[Note: there has never a problem detecting my video hardware for any version of puppy prior to 2.13 or for any of the other dozen or so linux distros I've tried. I think this is a red herring.]

Now on to the problem: I replaced pup_sav.2fs with my current pup_sav.3fs (which always works perfectly with 2.12) and rebooted with the new 2.13 live cd. It progressed thru the steps for upgrading from 2.12 to 2.13, pausing for 30 sec, then
Probing Video Hardware, which was "unsuccessful"
I chose LCD Panel 1024x768
OK
1024x768x24 Unconfirmed . . .
OK
Saw a video screen for about 1 sec.
"Exited from X type xorgwizard, or etc."
xorgwizard
Probing Hardware . . .
LCD 1024x768, OK
1024x768x24, FIX
selected Xvesa
"wizard completed, type xwin
and so on and on as before.

There are of course a number of possible permutations on this procedure and I must have exhaustively tried most of them, but this is typical. I would not use a beta for production (as I do 2.12) but I will want to be able to upgrade my current carefully tweaked pup_sav.3fs when the final version(s) are released. The only thing changed is 2.13. Thus this beta version feedback.

I would be happy to mail a Dvd of my 1Gb pup_sav.3fs if that would help. My email is books@henrystrobel.com

Henry

Henry

#23 Post by Henry »

By the way, here is a screenshot of my working desktop. It replaces all the functions of my windows box - except (so far) GPG, WordPerfect editing, Epson 4180 scanner, and RootsMagic (family tree).

http://www.henrystrobel.com/screencaptureimag1.gif

Henry

Gn2

#24 Post by Gn2 »

Mr. Strobel

PGP GPGP
Word Perfect - susbtitute : Open office, Abiword or Kword.
Epson
(Doesn't look good for finding a Linux driver)

What would benefit - Endorsement of 8) products from any of:
Z. Fracescatti
I. Perlman
D. Oikstrah
P. Zukerman
Y0-Yo Mah

Then you could probably afford to staff own IT Dept. to organise your increased Enterprise Demands.
> Such as expanded cadre of like skilled luthiers, needed to handle increased order demands!

I often thought about trying my hand - (paucity of suitable woods, etc are a BIG problem)
A guitar maybe - violins/cellos AFAIK are far more demanding

Best of success in the New year

Henry

#25 Post by Henry »

Happy New Year to you too, Gn2,

My computing facilities are very adequate and stable. The linux project is a personal challenge and special interest right now.

About the applications you mentioned: I use an open source GPG plugin for Eudora windows, but need to get one for Seamonkey Linux. There are several Linux substitutes for Word, none for WordPerfect. I have a catalog of books written in WordPerfect that occasionally need to be edited; I also prefer it for new writing. Emulators and virtualizations seem inelegant or huge. Scanner support will come eventually.

Henry

Gn2

#26 Post by Gn2 »

There is litle difference to W/Perfect vs M/S word - I preferred WP as it was better suited to my habits
Plus not as highly targeted by Win_Malware .
That was years ago (WP V8 ??) prior to ful-scale adaption from IBM Warpv3 to Linux.

For desktop publishing many authors were better served by Latex variants - the best of which might be:
LYX
OR
KLYX
Unleashing power of Linux - freeing up need to create templates or many exasperating formatting tasks.
To each their own - often the so-called best tool - is whatever is at hand , and most familiar to user.

(Bet you have favourite chisels & scraper stock w/carefully turned over burr - some ground to specific shapes to match contours) !
I decry the quality of tools now available - most are just a mass produced pale shadow of time tested tools that were perfected centuries past.

Musical instruments - standards of use/creation of - all perfected years ago & Now - new glues & care-free finishes are amazing -
but too permanent > not entirely "tone friendly" !

Henry

#27 Post by Henry »

Interesting! But I should pull this back to the point of 2.13 beta. It is broken for my purposes. 2.12 upgraded easily from 2.11, but 2.13 beta 1 or 2, will not upgrade from 2.12.

Henry

Henry

#28 Post by Henry »

It just occurred to me that I should explain that this thread was moved to
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=14100
Anyway, I have rebuilt in 2.13 Lite, so onward.

Henry

WhoDo

#29 Post by WhoDo »

Henry wrote:There are several Linux substitutes for Word, none for WordPerfect. I have a catalog of books written in WordPerfect that occasionally need to be edited; I also prefer it for new writing. Emulators and virtualizations seem inelegant or huge.
FWIW, Henry, did you know that Open Office writer reads Wordperfect (*.wpd) format? Just a thought.

Cheers

Henry

#30 Post by Henry »

Yes, but it's only partially true. Like Abiword it reads the text, but does not preserve the format and imports none of the graphics. So not worth much for an illustrated book.

Thanks anyway ;-)

Henry

WhoDo

#31 Post by WhoDo »

Henry wrote:Yes, but it's only partially true. Like Abiword it reads the text, but does not preserve the format and imports none of the graphics. So not worth much for an illustrated book.
Interesting! I didn't know that! :shock:

My idea of "reading" a particular format - in this case .wpd - should be to preserve everything; text, formats, graphics, etc. Only understandable exception would be proprietary stuff, like WordArt in M$ Word, that can't be duplicated. :?

Your advice is the first serious misrepresentation I have come across in Open Office. At least with Impress Open Office.org pointed out that support was limited to versions up to and including Powerpoint 97!

Sorry my advice didn't help.