BIT METER OS 0.7.6 (stable) & 0.8.0 (experimental)

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
Mike Walsh

#201 Post by Mike Walsh »

@davids45:-

Morning, David. Just FYI (though I think you know this anyway), don't forget that the 'bitmeter.db.new' file is only present in 0.8.0. If you're using 0.7.6, it's not present by default. Rob did explain to me the reason for that; mainly that it was simply a further development for the newer version, and since 0.7.6 was running so stable he was loath to mess about with it.

Also, of course (as you found out yourself!), the 0.7.6 & 0.8.0 databases are not interchangeable.

I still think that for single Pup usage 0.7.6 is probably the better option.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sun 24 Apr 2016, 10:37, edited 1 time in total.

april

#202 Post by april »

Perdido .
I got that one previously and it did not work . I got a menu item in network but nothing came upp when I clicked it and when I went to the given browser address I got an un-laid out page with no activity and big blanks .

I got that again with your deb package.

When I rebooted however up it came working and all and I can now experiment a bit with it if you will excuse the pun .

Thank you all for the help.
Last edited by april on Sun 24 Apr 2016, 11:10, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#203 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, april.

Glad to hear you've got it operational for now! I did state, some time back in the thread, and, I believe, in the OP, that some people may well find that the .deb package will work for them, whereas the .pet package will not.

Certainly the .deb has always worked for me in the 'buntu-based Pups. Unsurprisingly. I always found, like I said, that 0.7.6 simply works.....and keeps on working. 0.8.0 was always a bit more finicky, for some reason; I seem to recall Rob told me he'd switched to a new type of sQLite database, and it hadn't proved as reliable as he'd hoped. But since we'd started experimenting with BitMeter some 4-5 years after he'd originally written it, he had no intentions of re-visiting, or re-writing, as he'd moved onto other projects.

But any further help required, just ask. There's a small number of us who still use it regularly, and we can probably sort most snags out!

april

#204 Post by april »

Cheers Mike
A very handy piece of software for me. Thanks Semme too

Mike Walsh

#205 Post by Mike Walsh »

perdido wrote:April,
FWIW, the bitmetros_0.7.6-i386.deb that I downloaded from http://codebox.org.uk/downloads/bitmeteros/linux has worked fine in precise5.7.1, might be worth a shot.

The address for the bitmetros info page on my system is http://localhost:2605/index.html

Hi, perdido.

Funny you should mention that! That's the exact same one that I currently use across all my Pups; quite simply, it just works.

It's the one I started in Ubuntu with; and, despite all the experimenting with various other things throughout the course of this thread, it's the one I've returned to...

Strange how things often go full circle. :)

perdido

#206 Post by perdido »

Hello Mike,

I remember this thread from when it was a hot topic, I appreciate the testing you and others put into making this program usable.

I ended up just installing the deb because the pet wasn't available yet in the thread (if I remember correctly) and was happy with how it runs - never had a reason to try the modified pets. Its more of a toy for me that runs good and was small so it was a keeper.

Mike Walsh

#207 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi again, perdido.

'...runs good and was small so it was a keeper...'

Good description. For years I used an even tinier bandwidth app in XP, called ShaPlus Bandwidth Meter. Teeny little thing; uses around 450k. I've found out that it will run under Puppy.....IF you install around 300 MB of WINE first!

I do have it running in a couple of my Pups, since I run WINE in all of them anyway; my hobby is graphic design, and I can't be a****d to keep firing up XP everytime just to use Photoshop.....so I got it running under WINE. PS is a large enough & complex enough program to justify running WINE; CS2 runs absolutely perfect, as it is. Since I had WINE running anyway, I experimented with ShaPlus, and found it just needs one thing installing to work (vbrun6); and it works just as well as it does in XP.

There's a link here, if you're interested in it; I'd recommend it to anybody who needs one for XP or whatever.

http://www.shaplus.com/bandwidth-meter/

If you'd care to try it, and happen to be using WINE for anything, you can d/l VBRun6 from my MediaFire account here.

There's also a link to a CNet review of it, showing what it looks like, and detailing how it works. I find it's best to run it in a Pup that's using anything other than the JWM window manager; It works fine in X-Slacko (which uses XFCE), and also ETP's 'Chromebook' Pup, which uses OpenBox. For whatever reason, it just won't show up in JWM's 'tray'.....and it runs entirely from the tray icon.

perdido

#208 Post by perdido »

Mike Walsh wrote:
For years I used an even tinier bandwidth app in XP, called ShaPlus Bandwidth Meter. Teeny little thing; uses around 450k. I've found out that it will run under Puppy.....IF you install around 300 MB of WINE first!
Wine is smaller than running the Oracle VM Virtualbox with XP, so you are money ahead there. I've installed a low-end XP under Oracle called Windows for Legacy PC's, use it for stubborn stuff that turns its nose up at wine. I also use wine for some programs as it loads much faster than Oracle/WinLeg

I used to use DUMeter to monitor network speed/usage with the dedicated Win2k/XP boxes, wish there was similar in Linux but oh well... cobbled up some of the PWidgets to show up/down speed in Puppy that does ok, also tried gkrellum but that was not as adjustable as PWidgets - this all due to flakey internet. Will take a pass on the shaplus for now but thanks.

april

#209 Post by april »

DU Meterhttp://www.hageltech.com/dumeter/download
Create a linux version
· 11 votes · 1 comment · open in new window →
You have 7 votes left! (?)

Could be nice to have a linux version, you already made a Android app, shouldn't be hard to adapt for linux.
I would like combine data from my NAS and from my Laptop of the same network.
planned · Haim Gelfenbeyn avatarHaim Gelfenbeyn (Admin, Hagel Technologies Ltd.) responded

We've have dumeter.net reporter planned... It won't be a full-fledged DU Meter application, but it will report traffic statistics to dumeter.net.

perdido

#210 Post by perdido »

april wrote:DU Meterhttp://www.hageltech.com/dumeter/download
planned · Haim Gelfenbeyn avatarHaim Gelfenbeyn (Admin, Hagel Technologies Ltd.) responded

We've have dumeter.net reporter planned... It won't be a full-fledged DU Meter application, but it will report traffic statistics to dumeter.net.
Thats interesting, dug a bit into it - seems you have to register an account with them and that gives you the opportunity to go to their website to check your net usage, etc. Its up and running according to this page http://www.hageltech.com/blog/2015/06/1 ... linux.html, I wonder what else they are mining besides net usage stats?

april

#211 Post by april »

Yes you are right
and full DU Meter port to Linux is not planned at this time.
That says it all doesn't it. Their loss, Bit Meter OS is brilliant and even better for what I want anyway !

april

#212 Post by april »

I notice bitmeter has a definite 1 second tic as it does whatever it does writing or reading the hard disc it seems . Very annoying when you are conscious of your gigabyte usage.

Atle

#213 Post by Atle »

Are you sure that "tic" is not just consuming free and offline data and not from ones precious bundle and actual paid use?

april

#214 Post by april »

Don't understand what you mean . I think the one second tic is just the process reading and recording data usage each second isn't it . Not using up or down data ? But thats what I am getting at . When you are watching up and down data usage then a tic like that keeps it at the forefront of your mind . That equates to unnecessary worry.

I also notice however that it is not always there ? If I answer this post it starts when I submit the answer , not when I am typing usually so its just on while it sees activity on the connection I think.

Atle

#215 Post by Atle »

A bit off topic, but yet related...

Are there other pets or things that are useful for mobile internet users in puppyland?

Obviously this gives control of your datausage and are very handy when bought in bundles.

A webbrowser that is customized to use as little data as possible is about to arise in combination with BitMeter OS.

Now are there other handy and useful things out there for that group of users?

Atle

#216 Post by Atle »

A mobile internet user Puppy is about to be born and a natural part of that is Bitmeter OS...

I started off with a Sulu004(Lupu 5.2.8.7 with more recent kernel...

The spinnoff works in general, but bitmeter failed to start in the new spinnoff...

Any specific reason this happens?

Update!

Extracted the bitmeter.pet and checked if each file "survived" the remastering and they apparently did so...

Yet nothing happen if you use the bitmeter menu entry.

What it reports is that "The database file /var/lib/bitmeter.db does not excist"

This is the output when i do bmdb webstart... capstarts reports the same.

So the temp solution is to provide the pet so that it can be reinstalled to a functional state by the user.

BUT THEN CAME THE SOLUTION... Bitmeter.db turns to bitmeter.db.new after remastering for some reason and once the .new is removed, it starts... hmmmm

So i might need to just do that little eksra during the remaster in order to get this to work, but i hope this can help others that wants to remaster and include bitmeter...

UPDATE II

Here is the thread about the Mobile internet user Puppy..
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewt ... 433#909433

ATle

Mike Walsh

#217 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, Atle.

You do realise that 'bmdb webstart' is the command used in Windows, yes? To restart in Puppy, you need:-

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/bitmeter restart
/etc/init.d/bitmeterweb restart
The first line restarts the BitMeter daemon, the second restarts the web interface at localhost port 2605.

Any further questions, just ask. I get the impression that I'm probably the only individual still using this on a regular basis..! BTW, I'm posting this from LupuSuper2 right now.....and BitMeter's working fine.

Atle

#218 Post by Atle »

I did not realize its Windows commands. But it gave the output as shown:-)

There are a growing number of users now at least for this test and experimental version of a "Mobile Internet User Linux" with some more features as seen here

Anyhow... What about that var/lib/bitmeter/bitmeter.db vs bitmeter.db.new?

It seems like something is crashing there at least for me and my spinnoff....

Thanks

atle

Mike Walsh

#219 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi again, Atle.

Which version are you using? 0.7.6.....or 0.8.0? And are you using the .deb versions, or Geoffrey's modified .pet versions? I'm guessing 0.8.0, since bitmeter.db.new doesn't exist in 0.7.6.....

Details, details..... :lol:

Atle

#220 Post by Atle »

It's Geoffrey 0.8.0.
I think most details are given then....

But its not a big problem as i might just need to base the spinnoff on another kind of puppy to make this work...