A view from CES2016: A personal review

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
gcmartin

A view from CES2016: A personal review

#1 Post by gcmartin »

2 words, IMHO.
  • "Systems" - an integration of multiple items operating in harmony for home users.
    "Cloud" - ALL announced provide a cloud-centric collection and access
This is where the world is targeted; again IMHO. So when we purchase, we must understand what home system is the purchase to operate with ... in the home (and I am not referring to Windows/Apple/Linux OS).

If we find some understanding of this, it will be useful as Puppy Linux progresses to a mass population who are already purchasing this current technologies. We are no longer in a standalone world.

Expectations are to have 85% of the world's population in constant connection to the web by 2020.

The most interesting product to me is the new BATMAN car. You must have a smartPhone and you plug it into the steering wheel when you get in. This emphasizes how important this view of your smartPhone being your extra appendage that is provided to each of us who has one.

Oh there are many others too that I find enormously fascinating and useful from both Large and small companies, many of which will be available within 30 days. Others are dreams that appear to need funding to become mainstream in the future.

So, I have seen the home technology world; from a structure with all of the massive amount of data that flows, to the system orientations and the existing concerns of protocols contributing this data, to home collections that everyone from Amazon to LG to Apple to Samsung to ... are pushing for, to the devices themselves and how they are to operate with each of us at the individual levels. Connected!

The starter's gun has sounded. The participants are now visible on the home user technology track. Here they come 2016 :!:

8Geee

Re: A view from CES2016: A personal review

#2 Post by 8Geee »

gcmartin wrote:2 words, IMHO.
  • "Systems" - an integration of multiple items operating in harmony for home users.
    "Cloud" - ALL announced provide a cloud-centric collection and access
This is where the world is targeted; again IMHO. So when we purchase, we must understand what home system is the purchase to operate with ... in the home (and I am not referring to Windows/Apple/Linux OS).

Expectations are to have 85% of the world's population in constant connection to the web by 2020.
Emphasis mine... That a lot of electricity used. Just so robots can 'talk'. What a waste of oil and gas. That WILL drive the cost of fossil fuels up, without increasing the efficiency of non-fossil.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Burn_IT

#3 Post by Burn_IT »

I heard today!

"I set the alarm on my phone at night to tell me when it is time to stop watching TV and go to sleep"!!
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

kb8amz

Re: A view from CES2016: A personal review

#4 Post by kb8amz »

[/quote]

The primary reason I dislike having a smart phone. Me dumb = buying into that connection.
Terry Morris - KB8AMZ
Registered Linux User# 412308

Dell Latitude D505 tahr-6.0-CE_noPAE; Dell Optiplex 520 desktop Ubuntu 14.04 LTS; Dell Optiplex 150 LM 17 32bit, HP Quad Core AMD FatDog64 7.02

Burn_IT

#5 Post by Burn_IT »

I've just been talking to my misses about smart phones, or indeed any mobile phone.
I turned off location awareness in mine and have persuaded her to do the same as well as turn off all advertising via call preferences.

If I do get lost (unlikely) I could always turn it back on temporarily - but then I am just as capable of using my surrounding to find out where I am and I'd rather not have third parties know my movements.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

gcmartin

#6 Post by gcmartin »

Understand. The beauty of that technology is that any one of us can control when we want that feature on/off. I travel a lot visiting various locations local and around. I don't have a Garmin, as I now use my phone for its value to navigation, cheap gasoline, route timings, traffic avoidance. Location awareness has not affected my life in a negative way at this point. My next car will know when I approach and when I leave it because of this feature. If my phone is misplaced/lost/stolen it provides some useful awareness in its location that I can access in finding it or recovery.

The beauty of all of this is choice! I agree with what you share.