Smallest Puppy with or that can run WINE 1.81 or newer

Using applications, configuring, problems
Sailor Enceladus

Re: Hallelujah

#21 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

mouldy wrote:But my gosh what a circus to get it to run via WINE. Doesnt help that I am serious procrastinator when it comes to taxes. I'll do it with virtual box windows next year unless of course it still works fine in same Tahrpup+WINE that I used this year, try that first.
Ha, thanks for the reminder. I still haven't done taxes yet either, didn't even really think about it. I don't think the government really gives a rats bottom when I do them because they always owe me money anyway - lol. I think I didn't do them until June or July last year, not a peep from the government of course, as they obviously don't want to tell me "we owe you money!". lol

version2013

#22 Post by version2013 »

mouldy wrote:Winetricks works, I installed IE6 yesterday with it. IE6 however doesnt work. Just that it runs into error I posted when I try to install IE8. It doesnt want to install IE8 whether I use commandline nor zenity. And doesnt work if I try to install IE8 into wine independent of winetricks. TaxAct doesnt see it unless winetricks installs it. Means I am locked into winetricks trying to download from an apparently non-functional link for IE8. I dont see how I can force it to download from a different site.
I was using Lupu/Lucid Puppy and was getting a similar message with command "# winetricks mfc40"
...snip...
cannot verify web.archive's certificate...Self-signed certificate encountered.
To connect to web.archive.org insecurely, use `--no-check-certificate'.

I think I was able to download that file via command:
"# wget --no-check-certificate https://web.archive.org/web/http://acti ... /mfc40.cab"
mouldy wrote:Ok, whew, moved up to tar pup cause my connection was getting flaky in Slacko 5.7.

Installed 1.5.8 this time and after several tries got winetricks to install ie8. This version of WINE got IE directly from M$ site. Hey ie8 even sort of worked to surf (this is an improvement!) though crashy as heck. But when I tried to start TaxAct, crash bang boom immediately. I had hopes that IE8 might let the buttons work, since seemingly TaxAct only uses it for javascript for navigation.

So back to 1.9.7 one more time to see if it will download and install ie8 now. I doubt it. Suspect I will need to go back to maybe 1.8.1 to get both enough WINE functionality for TaxAct2015 and hopefully ability to download and install ie8 for its javascript from a reliable depository. Still dont know why it cant use javascript from firefox or chrome. But that would make it too easy I suppose.
When I started using Tahr Puppy, using winetricks I did not encounter the "cannot verify certificate" message.
I wonder if it has something to do with a newer openssl.

----------------------------
Lupu/Lucid Puppy
# openssl version
OpenSSL 0.9.8o 01 Jun 2010

Tahr Puppy
# openssl version
OpenSSL 1.0.1f 6 Jan 2014
---------------------------
mouldy wrote:Be still my heart. I installed 1.9.7 over 1.5.8. Had to reinstall mono or whatever. This took FOREVER.

But it recognized existing ie8 that 1.5.8 downloaded directly from Microsoft. Dumb luck I think. I started TaxAct2015 and it ran and I could navigate at least first few pages. Didnt crash!!!! and shut down properly. So now to see if it will actually prepare a tax return.
To minimize space used in my pupsave file, I symlink a few things.

/root/.cache/wine
or
~/.cache/wine
Wine downloads to this directory the wine-gecko* and wine-mono* files.
Wine will look here when creating wineprefixes. If file is present, it will use it instead of re-downloading it.

/root/.cache/winetricks
or
~/.cache/winetricks
winetricks downloads files to this directory.
winetricks will look here for files. If file is present, it will use it instead of re-downloading it.

I move those directories (and their contents) to somewhere in "/mnt/home/". I then create symlinks back to where they originally were.
I use a frugal install of puppy linux.