Frisbee Network Manager 1.4.9

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
rerwin

Frisbee Network Manager 1.4.9

#1 Post by rerwin »

Here is the completed version of frisbee-1.4. The main changes are to the internal structure of the components, upgrading of the mobile (GPRS) support and interoperability with the new version of PGPRS, 2.0.

Note that I am unable to verify that an actual mobile/GPRS connection works, so needed some feedback from those who try that. The behavior of the other networking is the same as before.

Thank you to those of you who reported success with the networking verification and, especially, to Lazy Puppy for repeatedly testing my attempts to get the GPRS to operate correctly.

Note that this version of Frisbee requires the installation of the (connectwizard) "connect_updates" package, to correspond to its new interface. The attached connect_updates package is functionally the same as that in the pgprs-2.0 thread.

UPDATE 4/26/17: Uploaded frisbee-1.4.3 to improve the "--deactivate" (frisbee mode disable) function, to ensure that network connections made by frisbee are terminated and that dhcpcd is also terminated. It still requires a "connect_updates" package -- either the attached one or the smarter "network_connect_updates" package posted here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 876#952876

UPDATE 5/17/17: Version 1.4.4 is the same as 1.4.3 but with a conditional interface to the comprehensive "network_connect_update" package, provided here:

UPDATE 6/15/17: Version 1.4.5 is the same as 1.4.4 but with the ability to use WiFi channels 12-14 where appropriate. To use those channels, the 20170616 network_connect_update and 20170612 quicksetup packages in the network_connect_update announcement message are required:

UPDATE 6/24/17: Version 1.4.6 is the same as 1.4.5 but with the available wireless networks listed by signal strength -- strongest first -- and the refresh interval increased from 15 seconds to 30 seconds, to allow more time for working with long lists.

Update 2/12/18: Version 1.4.7 adds compatibility with easyOS/Quirky and recent kernels such as 4.14, which appear to need extra time to prepare ethernet/wifi interfaces for connection.
It also improves connection control when multiple such interfaces are installed. Disconnecting will first affect only the wifi connection, while a second attempt (or the absence of a wifi interface) will disconnect any remaining ethernet interfaces. However, all interfaces must be disconnected to activate the network tray option to reconnect.

Network_connect_updates:
EasyOS-0.7/Quirky - http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 596#982596
Puppies - to be added

Update 3/16/18: Version 1.4.8 removes vulnerability to error messages, which produce erroneous user input or selection in some dialogs, thanks to peebee's alert to me.

Update 11/19/18: Version 1.4.9 updates mobile connection logic and fixes mobile disconnection bug.

Richard
Attachments
frisbee-1.4.9.pet
Frisbee with improved Mobile/GPRS function, reorganized internals and
improved deactivation, connection, disconnection and kernel
4.14+ compatibility
Requires network_connect_updates package for puppies older than Xenial-7.5.
(30.34 KiB) Downloaded 659 times
frisbee-1.4.8.pet
4.14+ compatibility
Requires that the network_connect_updates package be installed.
(35.25 KiB) Downloaded 634 times
frisbee-1.4.7.pet
4.14+ compatibility
Requires that the network_connect_updates package be installed.
(35.2 KiB) Downloaded 711 times
Last edited by rerwin on Mon 19 Nov 2018, 15:51, edited 21 times in total.

peebee

#2 Post by peebee »

Hi Rerwin

Tried both pets in combination - saw new gprs button in connect wizard - frisbee seemed to work as previously with my wifi - no problems setting up a connection.

Also tried just the frisbee pet without the "connect_updates" pet and this also worked ok with the connect wizard - but the gprs button was not presented.

My only comment is that it should maybe now identify as Jemimah/Rerwin's Frisbee given the amount of input you've put into it :wink:

I only have wifi to test.....

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

zigbert

#3 Post by zigbert »

rerwin
Really great that you offer this one.
I only have wifi connection, but no issues here.

Thumbs up!
Please consider to upload it to woof-CE

Marv

#4 Post by Marv »

Only wifi to test here also. Installed in LxPupSc 16.04.2 and tested on iwlwifi and ipw2200 laptops. WPA2 connections normal on both (exactly the same as as 1.3.4), shutdown with open samba shares now ok. Iwlwifi slick and flawless as usual. Pentium M quirks unchanged (non dropwait dhcpcd in LxPupSc re-leases on 1 sec dropouts and version 4 kernels and having both eth0 and eth1 present and set to auto dhcp in Frisbee causes hang on suspend). Both Pentium M specific, easily remedied, and nothing new.
Thanks,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Aung

testing in fatdog

#5 Post by Aung »

Trying frisbee in fatdog. Firewall off. /usr/sbin/pppd is there
so copied pppd from micko slacko, still no work. Did the mknod thing, cant find any /dev/ppp in /dev, didnt work. There is ttyusb0, 1, 2 in /dev, and a folder 'serial' with by-id and by-path which mentioned the ZTE modem. Click the status button in frisbee and says 'GPRS connection inactive Stonkered

Connection log
Couldn't open the /dev/ppp device: No such file or director
/usr/sbin/pppd: You need to create the /dev/ppp device node by
executing the following command as root:
mknod /dev/ppp c 108 0

rerwin

Frisbee and connect_updates versions 20160515

#6 Post by rerwin »

I have updated frisbee's GPRS connect function to use the pgprs method. Previously, the script utilized the "updetach" option of PPP. But that turns out to be faulty, in that a successful connection immediately "hangs up", terminating the connection. This was apparently reported for PPP after the version in the Lucid pups and again with tahrpup's version. That is what Lazy Puppy discovered when he tested frisbee. So I reverted to the pgprs version that apparently works. Thank you, Lazy Puppy.

The main network support is unchanged. But I need feedback on how the GPRS part works.

The connect_updates package matches a modified frisbee file structure which moved the frisbee interface script from /usr/sbin back to /usr/local/bin. It should also fix enabling/disabling of wireless (wifi) from the network_tray icon when an ethernet connection is also active.

Note that a network_tray menu item regarding connecting/disconnecting to/from network is ineffective for an ethernet connection when frisbee is the active network manager. However, the ethernet connection can be controlled in frisbee's "Network interfaces" tab, using the "Ignore" and "auto" checkboxes on the ethernet entry.
Richard

LazY Puppy

#7 Post by LazY Puppy »

A new testing...

Operating System:

- Tahr 6.0.2 (T.O.P.L.E.S.S. made)

Installed Packages:

- connect_updates-20160515.pet
- frisbee-1.3.5-20160515-beta.pet

Results:

- connected to the web by frisbee
- access to the forum by frisbee

Disconnect and re-connect works also. So far, so good. Though, too bad, but it is probably a bit too late since Xenial 7.0.1 doesn't recognize my GPRS modem device anymore (tahr, unicorn and vivid did so).
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

rerwin

#8 Post by rerwin »

LazY Puppy,
Thank you once again for continuing to test frisbee. Your report of success with the GPRS part gives me the confidence to release the final version, 1.4. I have added a bit of "cleanup" since the last beta, trusting that I did not introduce any dumb mistakes. But it is time to get it out the door.

Thank you to everyone who contributed their comments toward getting to this point.

LazY Puppy, about your dismay over your modem not being recognizrd by Xenial 7.0.1: I examined the modules.alias file and conclude that your modem should be recognized. Feel free to send me a pdiag taken after you see that it does not work. Maybe I can spot something there.
Richard

rerwin

Frisbee fatdog64 fix

#9 Post by rerwin »

To fix a noticeable problem in fatdog64, I have re-uploaded frisbee-1.4 after download number 6, with a minor change. I activated the "debug" option on line 30 of /etc/ppp/peers/gprs-editable.

Be aware, though, that installing the package does not replace an existing copy of that file. That is to preserve any changes already made to it. So, either edit the file yourself and ignore the replacement package, or remove that file before installing the replacement.

This is needed only in fatdog64, which does not have the usual 'options' file that contains the 'debug' line. This fix probably removes the dependency on the 'options' file.

LazY Puppy

#10 Post by LazY Puppy »

To fix a noticeable problem in fatdog64, I have re-uploaded frisbee-1.4 after download number 6, with a minor change. I activated the "debug" option on line 30 of /etc/ppp/peers/gprs-editable.
So, this would need one more testing for non-fatdog users?
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

rerwin

#11 Post by rerwin »

I have uploaded versions of frisbee and connect_updates that match what I submitted for inclusion in the woof-CE world, so that they can be included in builds of new puppies.

The changes are to only the installation process, required by woof-CE.

rerwin

#12 Post by rerwin »

In response to a problem reported by stemsee at
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 581#797354

I have fixed frisbee to make the SSID for open networks appear in the same column as for encrypted networks. It is in the frisbee-1.4.2 package I posted in the first message of this thread, after download number 31.

If you want to patch your existing frisbee installation, edit line 898 of /usr/local/frisbee/func (in function get_scan_results) to add the bolded characters (-F '\t' ):

wpa_cli scan_results -i $INTERFACE | grep ^..:..: | awk -F '\t' '{print $1"|"$2"|"$3"|"$5"|"$4}'

greengeek

#13 Post by greengeek »

rerwin wrote:I have uploaded versions of frisbee and connect_updates that match what I submitted for inclusion in the woof-CE world, so that they can be included in builds of new puppies.
Hi rerwin - is there an easy way to tell which version of frisbee I am using? I tried the following:
frisbee -help
frisbee --help
frisbee -version
frisbee --version

but each time the frisbee main window opens and takes down my network.
(I am using a derivative based on Slacko 5.6)
cheers!

rerwin

#14 Post by rerwin »

greengeek,
Try the command:

Code: Select all

grep '^[Ff]risbee' .packages/woof-installed-packages
If the version is 0.x, it is one of the "betas". Modern versions (1.3.4+) display the version in the window title. Versions 4.x also provide the customary command line --help and --version options.

I have not tested frisbee 1.4.x in slackos earlier than 5.7.0. So if you try 1.4.2, please do so only in a dedicated pupsave or pfix=ram environment. It should clean up residue from older frisbees, including the betas. But be sure to also install the "connect_updates" package, which might conflict with old-slacko's connect wizard, but is necessary. Do not expect to be able to uninstall 1.4.x because it will not restore the several old files it has deleted.

If you try it, please us know how it goes.
Richard

greengeek

#15 Post by greengeek »

Thanks rerwin -

Code: Select all

# grep '^[Ff]risbee' .packages/woof-installed-packages
frisbee_stuffs-0.1|frisbee_stuffs|0.1||BuildingBlock|244K||frisbee_stuffs-0.1.pet||rerwin's frisbee||||
#
I won't go further with testing at this stage as I am still trying to understand exactly what functionality from frisbee is used in Slacko 5.6, and when.
Frisbee is obviously installed (which I initially did not realise) but whether or not it is in use I cannot tell. In my Slacko 5.6 derivative I always connect via sns but I recall when I was testing peasyWifi I started to have doubts about what was going on behind the scenes - and getting a gut feeling that frisbee was in the background.

I will at some point look deeper and see what frisbee is doing (if anything) when I bring up my network - but for now I just needed to confirm that it is installed and what version it is. Thanks for the grep syntax. I will report back later if I am able to add to the discussion.
cheers!

EDIT - but let me know if there is any specific test you would like me to perform. You probably have a good idea to what extent frisbee is in use in Slacko already (i have a suspicion it might be frisbee that jumps in if the wifi drops out and needs auto reconnection but I don't know if it is frisbee doing that or if it is some function of sns or dhcpcd etc)

rerwin

#16 Post by rerwin »

greengeek,
I just now downloaded and looked at slacko-5.6. I was wrong to say the 0.x versions were the "betas", which were the original packages that form the basis for my attempt to preserve frisbee. "0.1" was my initial version. There were many improvements since that package.

The newest versions will not work on the older puppies because they require the latest version of gtkdialog.

Here is how frisbee works. If you never start it, it does nothing, at all. If you start it, then it will take control of the network. If you then run SNS or the network wizard, frisbee will be turned off, as if you never used it. So it should not interfere with those network managers. But you may need to reboot, to get SNS to see the network.

greengeek

#17 Post by greengeek »

Thanks rerwin, i appreciate the info. cheers

rerwin

Frisbee-1.4.3 uploaded

#18 Post by rerwin »

I have updated frisbee to correct the "frisbee mode disable" function and to be compatible with a new, upgraded "network_connect_update" package that refines the support for switching network managers and ensuring that the appropriate network startup script runs during a reboot.

The new frisbee is in the first message of this thread, here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 555#898555

Richard

peebee

Re: Frisbee-1.4.3 uploaded

#19 Post by peebee »

rerwin wrote:I have updated frisbee to correct the "frisbee mode disable" function and to be compatible with a new, upgraded "network_connect_update" package that refines the support for switching network managers and ensuring that the appropriate network startup script runs during a reboot.

The new frisbee is in the first message of this thread, here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 555#898555

Richard
Hi Richard

Which pets do I need to load to test the new Frisbee in a recent woof-ce build?

Thanks
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

rerwin

Re: Frisbee-1.4.3 uploaded

#20 Post by rerwin »

peebee wrote:Which pets do I need to load to test the new Frisbee in a recent woof-ce build?
Frisbee 1.4.3 is backward compatible, so it can be tested alone. The only behavioral change is that it kills dhcpcd when frisbee mode is disabled. That happens when you stop using frisbee and switch to another network manager.

However, eventually I will need you to test with my new "network_connect_update" package, as I plan to enter it into woofCE. I suggest testing it both ways.
Richard
Last edited by rerwin on Thu 27 Apr 2017, 23:43, edited 2 times in total.