Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 23 Nov 2017, 20:22
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
Huwai GPRS USB modem disconnects in 3 ~ 20 seconds
Page 2 of 2 [17 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 26 Sep 2015, 18:37    Post subject:  

In uhegelund's words, hooray!

I'm only resurrecting this thread because I've finally got around to trying vicmz's method for connecting my mate's Huawei K3565.....and, wonder of wonders, it really does work.

This was all the more necessary since I've now replaced my mate's Ubuntu install with ETP's 'Chromebook Pup'. He only puts 1 or 2 GB on the dongle once a month; it gets used when I go over to visit about that often. Ubuntu's fanatically regular updates are, quite frankly, getting bloody ridiculous.....they take nearly half of his broadband data allowance before he gets a chance to do anything he actually wants to do...

(And before anybody says it, no.....he can't go on the landline network. Where he lives is out in the middle of nowhere, and the phone companies want an astronomical figure to run a solitary line out to where he lives. It's why he's had a mobile phone of one sort or another ever since the very early days. For internet connectivity, mobile is the only way for him to go...)

So, all credit this time must go to vicmz. Nice one, mate. A very simple, easy to follow tutorial.....using already existing, built-in tools. Cheers!

Regards,

Mike. Wink

TyroBGinner

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar 2016, 20:35    Post subject: Steppin' on some toes!!!!!
Subject description: Yeah, it's another bump....so what?

I have put another message on this topic elsewhere, but I was hoping to get a better response in this 'wireless' subsection. I also hoped to get a conversation going on better understanding of how to use a cellular modem in Linux.

I have a Huawei modem in the form of a cell phone, the U3900. I would like to know what happens when you plug it in...what sort of autodetection occurs and how to perform these functions manually if it does not.

Questions like:

How does the OS know to load the appropriate drivers? Failing that, how can I do it?

How does it perform modeswitching? Is it always necessary?

How does a /dev/ttyUSBx node get assigned to the device? Some pups immediatley describe it as a 'dialout' in the ls -l /dev/USB* output. How does it know to do this?

Example below:

Code:
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 Mar 30 12:16 /dev/ttyUSB0
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 1 Mar 30 12:16 /dev/ttyUSB1
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 2 Mar 30 12:16 /dev/ttyUSB2

Thanks all......and please do no be upset about my multiple postings..I am really tring to get a better understanding of this so I can use a wider variety of versions.
Page 2 of 2 [17 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
Jump to: